Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

Hmm ok, anyway you have probably seen this script

Not all units cache, group leader is still on the board and moving in the real world, groups respawn to full strength before firefights... it only acts on infantry units not artillery/vehicles etc.

Anyway it's for the too hard basket and been discussed to death!! All good in ze hood.

The script you link to is a bit deprecated now, it forms the basis for one of the caching methods available in MSO.

However, MSO includes another method of caching called NOU. It caches by stopping simulation of cached units. Crucially, for HAC, the number of units in the group stays the same. So HAC can still have a proper view of the numbers. I have used MSO in my HAC missions with only NOU enabled, and it works well.

However, the biggest improvement you can make to HAC and most other missions is to run them on a dedi server as a multiplayer mission with you as the only player. If you have a quad core then this is ideal as you just run the server on the same box. The key thing is to change the init that starts the HAC script to exit unless it is on a dedi server ie if (!is dedicated) exitwith {};

Are we still limited to 4 objectives and 2 secondary objectives? Is there any way to increase that number?

Right now I am setting up a 300 vs. 300 battle on Isola del Capria and what I would like to do is use the entire map and make a very long drawn out operation. I want to set up objectives at most of the strategic places around the map, those being places like high elevation mountain tops, major cities/towns (those which hold strategic value anyways), and other significant areas like fuel stations and army barracks. In total I would need something like 6-7 primary objectives and 4-5 secondary objectives per side.

That limits are not changed and not so easy to change it. Some another way to "attract" idle groups apart from secondary objective will be present in next release (any day, possible even today), this gives another point of secondary interest.

You can do, what you need, in two ways:

1. Use BB with "custom objectives only" mode (or let BB to choose objectives on its own, BB should mark as important most of listed kinds of places, unless there is no provided in this map relevant locations, as it was/is? with hills on Duala) - BB is designed just for that kind of missions (but using of secondary objectives in BB is not recommended, may give some strange effects, as BB is not awared about them and will not move them along with given "division" across the map);

2. Use normal HAC with some additional scripting: When last of the four objective is taken, or maybe a bit earlier, script launches, replaces positions of the objectives for the next portion of places to take and changes back RydHQ_NObj to 1 (means - first objective is current again). This way you will achieve two (or whatever number)-stage offensive.

Oh, there is another, third way:

3. Divide forces of given side between two commanders, this way you will get 8 primary and four (+2 soon) secondary objectives.

Edited by Rydygier

HAC 1.32 released. Changelog:

- two customizable "decoys" for idle and resting groups (see manual, chapter 3);

- time manipulating and pause before new order for human player via optional action menu options;

- weather and daytime will affect chances for air missions. More recon groups used at night;

- special debug mode for BB, that shows with arrows current forces movements, Leaders' current positions, and known enemy concetrations (BETA);

- updated manual;

- several code fixes and improvements.

Maybe a few words about new debug layer for BB:

It is Beta (not so much tested, usual effects are nice, sometimes - funny). What exactly it is doing?

Starts about one minute after the end of BB init. Can be activated separatelly for one or both BB sides via init config.

Every 5 minutes checks, where currently is center (averaged position) for each division. If big enough replacement relative to the last check occured - one arrow per division is drawn/changed. Direction is set as angle between line, that links past and current army center position and S-N line. Arrow's length indicates, how big replacement was, width - how big given "division" is. Arrow's position is same, as current army center. Next is checked, if there are known for each Leader enemy current/past positions. These positions are divided as "concentrations"/"clusters". For each such cluster, if big enough, special marker is placed permanently (or, if another is too close, this one is changed or just keeped, to avoid mess). Also are marked current positions of each Leader by blue/red square. Some small changes in regular BB debug layer was made as well.

Hi Rydygier !

Please receive this three comments from the newbie I am :

- the second link on the HAC armaholic page delivers a 1.32 corrupted zip file

- why do you named HAC this way and didnt chose to name it : Hetman Artificial Leader ? Does using HAL infringes the copyrights of "2001, Space Odyssey" ?

- desesperatly how hard I try, I have an error with the RydHQ_Excluded Array.

(from init.sqf):

RydHQ_Excluded = [leaderA, leaderB, leaderC] ;

I have this error :

Error in expression <["_gp"];

_gp = _this select 0;

[_gp, (currentWaypoint _gp)] setWaypointPositio>

Error position: <currentWaypoint _gp)] setWaypointPositio>

Error currentwaypoint: Type Object, Group expected

No doubt I am doing something wrong, because from what I read in the user manual, but please Rydygier, could you direct me toward the right direction ?

Edited by la_Vieille

Hi Rydygier !

- the second link on the HAC armaholic page delivers a 1.32 corrupted zip file

Hi Ryd

I confirm that. The first link is fine.

Thanks for the release, I've missed out trying any of the BB releases so far but look forward to playing around with this one at the weekend.

Cheers!

Orc

Hi

Thanks about broken file info, Foxhound informed.

HAL - nice idea, really, but Hetman already has a name, I would like not change it now. Why not HAL from the beginning?

- did not think of that;

- didn't know at the beginning, when name was chosen, what Hetman will become... :)

Now the error - I have it too. Seems, that RydHQ_Excluded is broken. I'll try to fix it for next version, but in fact this is rather obsolete feature (so wasn't tested for long time, and is possible, that some earier changes made it not working any more, unexpected though), more flexible is RydHQ_ExcludedG, where you put group names, not leaders. Effect is the same, and no error. So at least till next version use this way of exclusion.

Long time since I checked out your awesome work! One question... did you manage to implement some kind of retreat routines if a heli/tank/squad/etc took to much beating?

/KC

Just tried 1.32 and I noticed in debug mode leader markers aren't shown. How can I turn those back on? IMO it's useful for debugging new maps.

did you manage to implement some kind of retreat routines if a heli/tank/squad/etc took to much beating?

Yes, there is something. With turned on debugII you will see at each group position green dot with the number. Number is "danger indicator" based on number of near enemies, their distance, and also for nearby allies. If value will grow too big, there is a chance, that Leader will issue for that group temporary withdraw (rest-like) order. Same order is issued when group is considered as combat ineffective basing on ammo, fuel and health/armor/casaulties level, but this is permanent rest, as long, as cause on ineffectivenes will be removed.

And there is of course whole army withdraw at defensive positions, where general situation is considered as bad enough (low morale, big enemy advantage...).

I noticed in debug mode leader markers aren't shown. How can I turn those back on?

Should be shown in BB, in SimpleDebug layer (was in my testes), as blue/red squares with text "Position of (Leader name)" but this layer activates with some delay, after several minutes (one minute after end of BB init (coffee and cigarette etc)). Oh, forgot. To activate this layer set in init config RydBBa_SimpleDebug (RydBBb_SimpleDebug for BB's "B" side) as true.

Edited by Rydygier

yeah, that works

Edited by kutya
question answered

sadly for me this new version 1.32 doesnt work at all in the addon auto init. everytime it just says "front sqf. not found" and nothing happens, this is one of my favorite addons I hope it gets fixed soon.

sadly for me this new version 1.32 doesnt work at all in the addon auto init. everytime it just says "front sqf. not found" and nothing happens, this is one of my favorite addons I hope it gets fixed soon.

There was an earlier version on Armaholic which was corrupted. Maybe you should try to redownload and see if it makes a difference. I think I misunderstood your problem and didn't read your post well enough the first time around so ignore me...

Edited by stupidwhitekid75
i'm not thinking very well today....

Hi, I'm using the script version. Since the scripts has many scripts in it, I think you should put it in a folder say, HAC\. It's easier for mission maker using a lot of scripts to organize those scripts. I already do it for myself, but when the mission runs, it says something like "front.sqf" not found, so I had to find all reference to the script and put in like "HAC\front.sqf"... etc etc..

Thank you

Lack of Front.sqf for addon version - Hotfix is needed and will be soon (Excluded error should be fixed by the way). This happens sometimes after new release, and I hate if it does :). Paths for addon version must to be changed every version again, and sometimes I'm just forget about some somewhere. Till hotfix - use script version.

HAC\ - Not a problem, I hope. Will try to make this for the hotfixed version.

Hi Rydygier.

Thanks for your quick reply.For now, I simply declare the LeaderName in a new array named Excluded and then include all groups on the map in the RydHQ_Included with additional check that ignores the group whose LeaderName is in the Excluded array. Works fine. But I definitely have to try the RydHQ_ExcludedG as soon as I launch the Editor and to test if the RydHQ_ExInfo works as expected with this array.

Thanks again for the direction :)

OK. Soon should be released hotfixed version, where Excluded may be used again, and, additionally, will not suffer its current limitations (currently works (well... not works :) ) only with default, subAll mode, will be usable with limited modes too, just as ExcludedG). I'm working on it just now.

I've just noticed that tanks of opposite sides just went by each other doing their business, just like nothing happened. I think someone mentioned this earlier too. I don't know if it's a lower level AI, or a HAC problem. I'm using COSLX by the way.

It is lower level. I saw this with my weak CPU, when many groups are involved in fight simultanously (too many times launched danger.fsm or/and too many other scripts active or something like that). There was also somewhere reports of same problems without HAC used. Pity, that there is no someting like scheduler load indicator, so we can now, what takes how many from it.

HAC 1.33 released.

Changelog:

- addon version issue fixed;

- few minor code improvements;

- additional decoy for idle land support;

- reorganized files in script version.

[...] more flexible is RydHQ_ExcludedG, where you put group names, not leaders.

Works like a charm, thanks :D

Great. :)

About 1.33 - Was made with some rush, so I hope, that no any new bugs was introduced. Anyway passed quick tests for both versions. Note, that now land support will not get idle order so quick, but only, when recon is done and there is safe enough. This affects also support "decoy". In general decoys (idle/rest/idle land support) can be used, if someone is not pleased with spots for this missions chosen by HAC or, eg, has prepared somewhere FOB, MASH or something, where such groups should be "stored".