Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

Hi,

Sorry, was busy at work.

Here's what I think I learned about my experiences with HETman. I think (am 95% sure) the reason I get no new orders after a while is simply the battle is going well. I re-play the same mission over and over for most of my testing (never the same twice which is another thing I love about HETman). Sometimes I move up in the area of objective 1.. sometimes 2.. sometimes 3.. And then I do usually find myself sitting. So I went off on my own looking for trouble and that's when I realised (based on the distribution of other inactive units on the field) that I was left behind because I was no longer needed. HETman doesn't treat the player any different than an AI (which I would NOT encourage you to change, it really does make the battle random). I have been the one-shot one-kill of a sniper on my 3rd move order and also been the Angel of Death with an ACOG on a hill. By taking matters into my own hands I do get dropped from the order que but move off into the fighting anyway and suddenly (if I'm somewhere HETman decides I'm useful) I'll suddenly get a new order. I also have noticed I get several false starts to orders. The radio will come on like I'm about to get orders but the sequence doesn't finish and no new tasks comes up.

All in all I'm having a blast with HETman. I'm a grunt at heart so I like the fact it's so random each time. I have made 3 'real' HETman missions so far and gotten 30 battles out of them.. Which is not bad since the average setup time in editor is 5-10 minutes.

I, however, have not had ANY luck getting HETman to use air transport. He'll steal every wheeled vehicle he wants (including one TOW Hummer I set aside for my own use when I placed a OPFOR tank on the field - figured a good AT may be needed if that tank proves to be a pain). It was a empty unit and part way through the mission while I'm crouched by a rock what do I see bombing up the road? Yeah.. MY TOW hummer! Bastard didn't even ask! :D I can set Helicopters everywhere and anywhere. I set RydHQ_NoAirCargo = false but nuthin. Even a large cargo search radius gets nothing. I wanted to invade Utes (again) from the carrier via chopper but that didn't help. The troops didn't go near the choppers and started to swim to the island (I never get an order on those Utes missions, not ever - I end up standing alone but for my squad, the leader and a pile of choppers and their crews). Starting as cargo in a flying chopper didn't do anything either..

So now I'm off to pour through the thread looking for 'air transport' help posts.

Cheers!

EMOD

Utes generally is too small for HAC (it is a bit tight for him there, at least in offensive mode). I'm affraid, that carrier isn't good position for HAC controled groups, as any position cut off by water from objectives.

There are some possible reasons, why air cargo is not assigned to you (or to all). If choppers are armed, may be used for air attack missions (so are busy, with some config variables you can prevent that, eg by RHQ-ize chopper's class as non combat air/cargo, or by some other config tricks do same for chosen group(s)), movement distances may be too short, enemy AA weaponry may be known in the area, not enough cargo space for groups, that needs cargo...

BTW mentioned series of not finished radio chat without task is quite disturbing, but is possible one reason - when you will have assigned cargo, then task will follow radio message with delay, only, when assigned cargo arrive (some waiting is needed).

Check this demo, where air cargo should be used, not always, but often, for yours group:

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/92634170/file.html

If you make yourself leaderHQ, remove crewed chopper from map, set up empty chopper near group and raise CargoFind radius enough in init.sqf, you should also see usage of empty air vehicle.

Be prepared - air cargo is troublemaking sometimes. Can have problems with proper disembarking, may do strange thing when ememy is close, may crash... Air AI can be really wayward and stubborn.

Edited by Rydygier

Be prepared - air cargo is troublemaking sometimes. Can have problems with proper disembarking, may do strange thing when ememy is close, may crash... Air AI can be really wayward and stubborn.

I'm going to try Utes, using small objectives. I see what you mean regarding cargo and air transport. That chopper would come, almost land and then bugger off on me every time.. Never got close.

HOWEVER..

Air transport is lower on my priority list.. In fact truth be known I was just being lazy. My work around will be to manually start the choppers on the deck of the carrier (with 1 or 2 HAC excluded cobra's). I may pause the whole op with a trigger to give HQB some time to deploy his defenses.. Release the cobra's the soften things up, board and use manual air transport via waypoints. Once LeaderHQ is on ground he'll move to his trigger which will switch on HAC for the A side. Until that time everything will be excluded on the A side and then HAC can start issuing orders and the cobra's will loiter on S&D.

Now something I'd personally like for my 'mini-campaigns' using HAC would be the ability to place X number groups, essentially build my platoon or company, etc maybe using real TOE's. Then start my missions (one large map conquest broken into 1-10 single missions). BUT what I'd like is for HAC or something to count up my surviving units (not their ammo or health - just #'s) and save that so when I start my 2nd mission I can load my 'survivors' and have the mission proceed from there and then I can add reinforcements as I like to make things interesting.. including a nice helo insert! :D

At the moment I'm doing invasion Zargabad. If I can keep the frame rate low I am planning on 4 leaders this time. 1 marine and 3 opfor. Essentially giving each opfor leader a small area and small # of units for each 'section' as we enter from the north. Lots of army at the base under commander B, mix of army and militia in the city under commander C and mostly Militia holding the far south of the map under commander D. I hope to make it all one big battle but I may have to chop it into 3 which is where my 'saved' count thing came up.

Thanks again for all!

Cheers!

EMOD.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

UPDATE:

Hac is doing the start but not finish order issue thing again. I get 1-1-A-1 (name) "Stand by for new orders." radio message.. and that's all I get. I get the first move, sometimes the 2nd.. All orders after that won't come through and no new objectives are placed on my map.

This is on Invasion Zargabad. Which will have to be broken into 3 missions since once the city defenders were in place for HQC the frame rate dropped to mid teens. Also when I played the original Utes Demo there was an Apache on the ground.. it took off and got itself shot down. I placed a Cobra on my map and added a enemy tank (no Opfor AA). My Cobra doesn't move though, do I need a Opfor chopper?

Thanks!

EMOD.

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Update again..

Restarting Arma fixed the orders problem.. still no luck getting my air support airborn though.. Getting tired of those tanks killing me! :)

Buuut, that's it for me for the day.

Having a blast still!

Thanks!

EMOD.

My Cobra doesn't move though, do I need a Opfor chopper?

It is up to HAC, when will consider Air attack as necessary. First of all must to know (discover) enemy presence, means some of his troops must know about this enemy (recon missons really matters here). Other factors my affect that too. In fact HAC, complex from the beginning, especially in his decision making routines became during last year kind of complexicity monster (as for me anyway), so without code analyze can't remember all improtant factors.

You may try set chopper in the air, so he will see enemy from the beginning. Unless you prefer again temporary exclude the chopper and send it manually. BTW some problems may be sometimes caused by some other addons too.

That chopper would come, almost land and then bugger off on me every time.. Never got close.

Hmm. Proper procedure should be, and is in my case, well, usually, that you get some distant order, there is marker in debug mode on map, but no task assigned yet, then chopper after some time should arrive, should "almost land", then wait some time for you (get in task)), if you get in, should fly towars yours objective and repeat "go low" process for disembarking (another task), when near (or in the halfway, if enemy presence is known near objective) then return at its start position, and you go on foot towards objective (main task). In posted by me demo encountered problem with disembarking, there was known enemy set by me near objective, so chopper tried to disembark my group in the half way, but there was town below, he made to find suitable LZ, but not waited for our disembark, as should be, immediatelly after going low went up again and after some time just flew with us towards his starting point. Happens sometimes, till now haven't idea, why.

Edited by Rydygier

It is up to HAC, when will consider Air attack as necessary. First of all must to know (discover) enemy presence, means some of his troops must know about this enemy (recon missons really matters here). Other factors my affect that too. In fact HAC, complex from the beginning, especially in his decision making routines became during last year kind of complexicity monster (as for me anyway), so without code analyze can't remember all improtant factors.

You may try set chopper in the air, so he will see enemy from the beginning. Unless you prefer again temporary exclude the chopper and send it manually. BTW some problems may be sometimes caused by some other addons too.

Tried starting it in air.. it just hovers. Have had NO luck getting HETman to exclude a chopper at all. I have a single chopper named CHOP1, I tell Hetman to exclude it, but the minute it kicks in it takes it over. I'm playing with it on the Utes map (a map I can finally share with you!). In this case it's actually an Osprey loaded with troops including the LeaderHQ. Now HETman can take 20-30 seconds to start issuing orders. If my Osprey makes it to the 'transport unload' waypoint before HET starts it will execute that without trouble. If we're still enroute HET will take over and assign a new landing place. I next tried having HET exclude each group including the leaderHQ, but that didn't work, guess can't exclude the leader. However all that said it works perfectly when the Osprey touches down (in the close to WP scenario), the troops unload and immediately move off to their first HET waypoints. I like the dynamics of a true HET vs. HET battle so my hope was to fly in nice and slow or even sit on the carrier and wait 5-10 minutes for leaderHQB to deploy his troops a little and maybe send in softening air-strikes. I managed to get this by delaying the start of HET's issuing orders but that seems to be global so LeaderHQB also delays.

Can just one leader be delayed? If I switch the Opfor to A side and make my side B can I delay the start of B while A goes about his business moving men and responding to my air attacks?

Speaking of air attacks.. Nothing I name a chopper or put in the RydHQ_Excluded = [] works, as soon as HET kicks in he takes control of the choppers, they will execute their last waypoint and no more.

Hmm. Proper procedure should be, and is in my case, well, usually, that you get some distant order, there is marker in debug mode on map, but no task assigned yet, then chopper after some time should arrive, should "almost land", then wait some time for you (get in task)), if you get in, should fly towards yours objective and repeat "go low" process for disembarking (another task), when near (or in the halfway, if enemy presence is known near objective) then return at its start position, and you go on foot towards objective (main task). In posted by me demo encountered problem with disembarking, there was known enemy set by me near objective, so chopper tried to disembark my group in the half way, but there was town below, he made to find suitable LZ, but not waited for our disembark, as should be, immediately after going low went up again and after some time just flew with us towards his starting point. Happens sometimes, till now haven't idea, why.

It tired, it gets right down towards us, but as I move towards it to board it'll pull away like I'm trying to give it a cheap grope! Also have found HET is a little callous when deploying marines from the Osprey. One time it landed in water killing all. Another time it parked in a yard, got stuck and didn't unload anyone either. My favorite was dropping 4-5 guys at the end of the Utes runway and then taking off and heading away.. while still unloading. Dropping little marine bombs as it went.. cept they didnt' explode when they hit.. they got dead. Was funny until my turn out the door... :D

I think with a way to exclude choppers (and I'm probably just doing something wrong) this will really work for my plans. That or a leader delay...

If you could also script up a way to make my dates hold still when I AM looking to give a cheap grope that'd be handy too! ;)

Cheers!

EMOD.

In this case it's actually an Osprey loaded with troops including the LeaderHQ.

Simply: bad idea. Do not do it, or using RydHQ_Wait init variable (yes, as stated in manual, it is shared by all Leaders, so B Leader will be delayed also) delay HAC init until LeaderHQ disembark. Leader can't exclude himself from own control, and have some special behavior set...

I have a single chopper named CHOP1, I tell Hetman to exclude it, but the minute it kicks in it takes it over.

If you are using RydHQ_Excluded, you should use name of group leader, if RydHQ_ExcludedG - name of group. But not name of a vehicle.

Can just one leader be delayed?

Not by RydHQ_Wait.

You may try:

1. to exclude all groups of chosen Leader initially, and clear excluded array, when given Leader should start issuing orders. Till then only Leader himself will do anything (most probably just hold its current position);

2. Add some scripting for that in RydHQInit.sqf. Eg instead of:

if not (isNil ("leaderHQ")) then {[] spawn HQSitRep; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQB")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepB; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQC")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepC; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQD")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepD; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQE")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepE; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQF")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepF; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQG")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepG; sleep 5};
if not (isNil ("leaderHQH")) then {[] spawn HQSitRepH};

something like:

BWait = true;
waitUntil {sleep 1; (not BWait)};

Then only A Leader will start automatically, all other only, when you switch with any method global variable BWait to false;

Also have found HET is a little callous when deploying marines from the Osprey. One time it landed in water killing all. Another time it parked in a yard, got stuck and didn't unload anyone either. My favorite was dropping 4-5 guys at the end of the Utes runway and then taking off and heading away.. while still unloading. Dropping little marine bombs as it went.. cept they didnt' explode when they hit.. they got dead. Was funny until my turn out the door...

:) Even if air cargo is troubemaking, frequency of problems in yours case seems to be far above average. Personally I just avoid using air cargo if possible, if I must, then I prefer choppers, as slightly more reliable. Also better to use it on maps with rather flat terrain without many trees, buildings and such. Some problems perhaps are because of some unknown HAC code problems, but rest, in my opinion majority of them, is because vanilla air units AI. Maybe someday will try to do something more about this, but honestly, already was done a lot "babysitting" code just for all this damn air cargo system. :)

Simply: bad idea. Do not do it, or using RydHQ_Wait init variable (yes, as stated in manual, it is shared by all Leaders, so B Leader will be delayed also) delay HAC init until LeaderHQ disembark. Leader can't exclude himself from own control, and have some special behavior set...

If you are using RydHQ_Excluded, you should use name of group leader, if RydHQ_ExcludedG - name of group. But not name of a vehicle.

So to load my guys I can 'name' the chopper CHOP2, then in the choppers init field I put:

CHOP1 = group this;

Then in any other units init field I put

RydHQ_Excluded = [CHOP1]

So far that didn't work, but then I may not quite understand the difference between naming a group, a group leader, etc.. Taking the LeaderHQ out of the chopper (and I killed the osprey and went back to blackhawk) didn't help either, it still takes control of the chopper when HET kicks in. I would prefer not to use the 'wait' since I want my Opfor to get into action right away. So what I want is to have a chopper (or choppers) NOT controled by HETman while I want the troops inside the chopper to be under HETmans control. Like I said it works perfect if the chopper starts nice and close to the unload waypoint, if it hits it before HET hits it's fine, but no excluding has worked for me yet.

There is also the SetgroupID command but I don't know how to use it..

Not by RydHQ_Wait.

You may try:

1. to exclude all groups of chosen Leader initially, and clear excluded array, when given Leader should start issuing orders. Till then only Leader himself will do anything (most probably just hold its current position);

2. Add some scripting for that in RydHQInit.sqf. Eg instead of:

[\QUOTE]

Excluding infantry groups will involve the same 'naming' groups thing? I can't stick a name in the group leaders name field? Could you post an idiot proof method of naming a group for HETman exclude?

something like:

BWait = true;
waitUntil {sleep 1; (not BWait)};

Then only A Leader will start automatically, all other only, when you switch with any method global variable BWait to false;

Scripting.. Uhh.. I don't know how to say this, but that's all gibberish to me.. :)

:) Even if air cargo is troubemaking, frequency of problems in yours case seems to be far above average. Personally I just avoid using air cargo if possible, if I must, then I prefer choppers, as slightly more reliable. Also better to use it on maps with rather flat terrain without many trees, buildings and such. Some problems perhaps are because of some unknown HAC code problems, but rest, in my opinion majority of them, is because vanilla air units AI. Maybe someday will try to do something more about this, but honestly, already was done a lot "babysitting" code just for all this damn air cargo system. :)

Yeah, I'm abusing HETman, I know it. I am perfectly content with HETman as my ground commander and will happily leave air transport out of the missions. I would like to be able to exclude aircraft from HETman though so I can give them seperate tasks (S&D, etc) that HET has no control over. That's what I'm trying to do with the Helo insertion. I want non-HET helos to drop off HET troops but I can't keep my Helo out of HET control..

Thanks for your patience!

EMOD.

Edited by EvilMooseofDoom

CHOP1 = group this;

Then in any other units init field I put

RydHQ_Excluded = [CHOP1]

CHOP1 = group this;
RydHQ_Excluded[color="#FF0000"]G[/color] = [CHOP1];

But this will replace previous excluded array (if any set eg in other init field) with [CHOP1], so this is good, when you want only this one group to be excluded. Otherwise use once this command (in only one init field), but add into it all group names to exclude. Still, there is a risk, that "something = group this" from other "to exclude" units init will be executed after quoted init, and exclusion will not work if so. If I'm not mistaken, init field execution order depends on placing in editor order. Excluded array defining should be executed as last of course.

Best practice is to use init.sqf file for init config, eg for RydHQ_ExcludedG = [group1,group2,etc...]; and in init fields leave only group naming.

BTW HAC's S&D air missions works fine, after some RHQ config, who knows, maybe even bombers will use their bombs? :) Only "external" air cargo is hard to keep working reasonable. Of course HAC decides, when to use CAS, so if you want to keep control over this, exclusion is needed for air units.

Edited by Rydygier

CHOP1 = group this;
RydHQ_Excluded[color="#FF0000"]G[/color] = [CHOP1];

But this will replace previous excluded array (if any set eg in other init field) with [CHOP1], so this is good, when you want only this one group to be excluded. Otherwise use once this command (in only one init field), but add into it all group names to exclude. Still, there is a risk, that "something = group this" from other "to exclude" units init will be executed after quoted init, and exclusion will not work if so. If I'm not mistaken, init field execution order depends on placing in editor order. Excluded array defining should be executed as last of course.

Best practice is to use init.sqf file for init config, eg for RydHQ_ExcludedG = [group1,group2,etc...]; and in init fields leave only group naming.

BTW HAC's S&D air missions works fine, after some RHQ config, who knows, maybe even bombers will use their bombs? :) Only "external" air cargo is hard to keep working reasonable. Of course HAC decides, when to use CAS, so if you want to keep control over this, exclusion is needed for air units.

Hey!

Figured out part of my problem, once HET kicks in it takes out ALL waypoints even those of excluded units. I did a little test with a excluded soldier running zig zags, as soon as my radio came on with my first order the zigger stopped at his last waypoint and stayed put.

I changed the syntax to match yours adding the 'G' for ExcludedG and that didn't work at all. So I removed the G and all went really well.. Seems having CHOP1 = group this;

RydHQ_Excluded = [CHOP1]; both in the choppers init did the job! No G though.. when the exclude was in the same array as the other group leaders it didn't work, but now my chopper is working!

I haven't tampered with init.sqf files, but if I understand what you wrote then maybe I should because that'll make sure everything inits in the correct order.. Hmmm..

Arma never did bomb dropping, so I wouldn't expect HETman to do it. I will keep a chopper gunship handy just in case HET wants to use it.

BUT!!

Now chopper problem solved I can go ahead and make the invasion of Utes and with luck I'll get to play it 2-3 times tonight! Gotta love the HETman!!

Cheers!

EMOD.

Have you considered including variables for defining custom artillery units? I know currently we can have HAC recognize certain units as artillery, but as far as I know HAC won't currently use them for artillery missions. It would be nice to be able to use the Operation Arrowhead artillery units, as well as those included in some user made addons.

it takes out ALL waypoints even those of excluded units.

Yes, that is true. It is because groups excluded during the mission, so they should stop and do not continue with last order. Another way is to set for Leader limited control mode (RydHQ_SubAll = false) and, when needed, to add chosen groups under his control eg by RydHQ_Included array (see manual).

I changed the syntax to match yours adding the 'G' for ExcludedG and that didn't work at all. So I removed the G and all went really well.. Seems having CHOP1 = group this;

RydHQ_Excluded = [CHOP1]; both in the choppers init did the job! No G though.. when the exclude was in the same array as the other group leaders it didn't work, but now my chopper is working!

:) Man, do not know, what you have done here, but I know, how works HAC, and, as stated in manual, Excluded must contain name of group's leader, and ExcludedG name of group. Syntax is clear here. Still, if effect is desired, fine then.

I haven't tampered with init.sqf files, but if I understand what you wrote then maybe I should because that'll make sure everything inits in the correct order.. Hmmm..

Init.sqf is simpy. See some of included demos' mission folder content. You can just open it, check, how thing are sorted out there and edit with notepad. Also create as txt and then just rename. It is not harder than writing here. :) Only you need to know, what to write (paste in any emty line except that after last code line same code, that you want put into init field). I recommend that way as simpliest to control and most elegant. Only one rule in HAC mission's init.sqf: for script version of HAC the last line in init.sqf must stay nul = [] execVM "RydHQInit.sqf";. And Remember about semicolons at the end of each line.

If this is vanilla Utes mission, maybe just show me it here, so I can check, what is going on there? I know, that it works for you, but, as described above, something in my opinion is not right still with HAC config.

Arma never did bomb dropping, so I wouldn't expect HETman to do it.

I managed to convince Arma to do that, well, often, by creating at target's position temporary laserTarget object (via script, same effect is, when you lase target wit laser designator), and keeping DESTROY waypoint for bomber attached to that target (attachment may be not necessary, not sure, but needed for HAC anyway).

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

Have you considered including variables for defining custom artillery units? I know currently we can have HAC recognize certain units as artillery, but as far as I know HAC won't currently use them for artillery missions. It would be nice to be able to use the Operation Arrowhead artillery units, as well as those included in some user made addons.

It is not so simple, their classnames are hardcoded in several places of HAC's code. Probably possible somehow though, but even then complicated. Of course used will be only artillery compatibile with Arma's ARTY module, so perhaps there is no need of such custom arrays, do not know if anyone created addon with compatibile arty (if possible anyway, if so, and if I get its classname, classes of used arty ammo and ranges, then will be possible to add such arty into HAC's code).

As for OA units should work counterparts of Arma2 arty pieces (US/Takistani versions of D30, MLRS, GRAD, M119, mortars). What else. Probably only Stryker with the mortar M120? It is not included, as I have no data about its compatibility with module, classname of used arty module ammo, ranges etc. As far as I know it is not compatibile with ARTY module.

EDIT: tested HAC with three OA arty units: MLRS, M119 and one of Takistani D-30. Works fine. Of course, as these are OA units, their classnames must by added to RHQ_Art, or will be ignored by HAC (so RHQ_Art for units, that should perform fire missions under HAC control is necessary, but not sufficient, sufficient is presence of given classname in RHQ_Art and presence in the code. OA counterparts of A2 arty pieces are hardcoded, Stryker with mortar no).

Edited by Rydygier

Yes, that is true. It is because groups excluded during the mission, so they should stop and do not continue with last order. Another way is to set for Leader limited control mode (RydHQ_SubAll = false) and, when needed, to add chosen groups under his control eg by RydHQ_Included array (see manual).

I'll look into that! I am having some limited success with my current exclusion but I think my problems stem from when certain things are taking place as things init and sometimes my chopper excludes and others not. So I'm going to 'borrow' the init from your air cargo mission and paste in into mine and see if I can figure out how to set things up there instead of relying on init field in units.

:) Man, do not know, what you have done here, but I know, how works HAC, and, as stated in manual, Excluded must contain name of group's leader, and ExcludedG name of group. Syntax is clear here. Still, if effect is desired, fine then.

From the PDF that came with my HETman download.. P23:

"RydHQ_Excluded = [] – array that contains names of the team leaders whose groups shall not

be controlled by HAC. Works only with default, unlimited control mode, e.g.,

RydHQ_Excluded = [LeaderA, LeaderC, LeaderG]; to place a given team leader’s group

under HAC control at some later point, just redefine this array (e.g., using a trigger) without the

chosen team leader’s name: RydHQ_Excluded = [LeaderA, LeaderG]; which will include

LeaderC’s group; or: RydHQ_Excluded = [] for include all previously excluded that way

groups; note that to exclude a player leader, the player's unit must be given a name in the editor

that meets the rules for naming, e.g.. LeaderP, LeutenantJack or Some_guy. "

There be no G in there! :D

Thanks!

EMOD

From the PDF that came with my HETman download.. P23:

Yeah, and, as you see, this is for names of team leaders, not for group names. Now see lower:

RydHQ_Included = [] – array; when "SubAll" control mode is false, HAC will control groups whose names are included in this array (not exclusive relative to other methods of choosing);

and next:

RydHQ_ExcludedG = [] - Another exclusion method, working with both limited and unlimited control modes. As above, but on the contrary;

So "Excluded" is for team leaders names, and "ExcludedG" - for group names (more universal, without restrictions, as for "Excluded", BTW)

:P

Yeah, and, as you see, this is for names of team leaders, not for group names. Now see lower:

and next:

So "Excluded" is for team leaders names, and "ExcludedG" - for group names (more universal, without restrictions, as for "Excluded", BTW)

:P

Ahhhh... Well.. I was having no luck with it. I was having some luck getting blackhawks onto the ground. No other chopper would work, wanted to try 2 Chinooks but couldn't exclude them. Nor it seems can I exclude my Cobra's.

I think maybe I'll restart this mission with everyone on land, I just can't seem to get exclude (nor the suball and include) to work.

Here's the tester..

http://wikisend.com/download/849012/test.zip

Thanks!

EMOD.

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Hey, I love HET and have several cool maps I intend to conquor with it as part of my "Marines take over the world - 2013" campaign.. What about boats? We're marines, we're into amphibious landings. There are even some landing craft in with the I44 mod. Can I have HET exclude boats (but still have me control them via editor placed waypoints) and still control all my land forces? I may even put a cobra or two in there and hope that HET will send one in to help me. :)

Oh, and in case I haven't said it before. Thanks for putting up with me! I do appreciate the help!

Cheers!

EMOD.

So I'll check yours mission. HAC is for land and air forces. Naval units are nearly complete ignored (but not cargo passengers, I believe).

EDIT

OK. I think, that i can fix some problems here, I would allow myself also to make some changes, only as example of course, where goal is better HAC activity. There will be also some problems. As said, Utes is too small, second thing is, that Leader can't be cutt of by water, must be present on battlefield, otherwise will be generated ugly mess, as Leader's position is important refernce point for gathering reserves etc. BTW noted some problems when including units under HAC control, this gives some mess in morale and losses calculations, if there will be no other option, I'll recommend turn off morale system for this mission. But all this later, probably tomorow.

Edited by Rydygier

So:

http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/41131548/file.html

Main changes:

- added two triggers, that will include proper groups in proper time (plus some makeshift scripting to fix HAC's losses and morale calculations, when are included new groups "on the fly" - in the future this should be fixed inside HAC's code, if possible)

- Leaders moved. B to the north, so will no die so quickly, A on the island, alas, there is no other choice. Found rather safe place for him. May be with some commands hidden, invulnerable or whatever, but must be on the island...

- added one OPFOR mortar - to make things more interesting ad harder, as my proposition;

- prepared OPFOR as defending island garrison. Most groups will be set around nearest objectives in defensive positions, some are "garrisoned. Will partially spread out in nearby area, occupy buildings, patrol, man static defences (if present)... See init.sqf, if not needed, or OPFOR should act offensive, just delete pointed there lines;

- added invisible helipads for better insertion, will be deleted after unload;

- moved some OPFOR groups from Strielka - chopper's landing and unload under fire is very unreliable;

NOTE:

- blackhawks under HAC control will serve as air support, cargo (teoretically) and medevac (have ambulance ability). May be a problem with landing on water after each mission (under HAC control air units will try to land at their initial positions after mission, not tested results for sea surface), so you may try to move their last waypoints over the carrier. They will go under HAC when this last waypoint will be done;

- is activated debug mode;

- in my opinion Cobras gives to big advantage. Unless this mission should be easy. As in Leader of B side group is armored vehicle, is some chance, that Cobra will kill Leader of B side too quickly when engaging this vehicle;

- was made some other minor changes, mostly in choppers' waypoints settings;

- see init.sqf for more explanations of HAC init config (what, where and why).

So:

http://www41.zippyshare.com/v/41131548/file.html

Main changes:

- added two triggers, that will include proper groups in proper time (plus some makeshift scripting to fix HAC's losses and morale calculations, when are included new groups "on the fly" - in the future this should be fixed inside HAC's code, if possible)

- Leaders moved. B to the north, so will no die so quickly, A on the island, alas, there is no other choice. Found rather safe place for him. May be with some commands hidden, invulnerable or whatever, but must be on the island...

- added one OPFOR mortar - to make things more interesting ad harder, as my proposition;

- prepared OPFOR as defending island garrison. Most groups will be set around nearest objectives in defensive positions, some are "garrisoned. Will partially spread out in nearby area, occupy buildings, patrol, man static defences (if present)... See init.sqf, if not needed, or OPFOR should act offensive, just delete pointed there lines;

- added invisible helipads for better insertion, will be deleted after unload;

- moved some OPFOR groups from Strielka - chopper's landing and unload under fire is very unreliable;

WOW.. As much for the learning experience as for the help, THANK YOU. Several other yet unasked questions were answered and I learned a lot and NOW understand a little better what you were talking about with the groups!

The mission was far from done, all the Opfor I placed were there so my choppers would come under fire (they always behave so perfect in the rehearsal, but once bullets fly.. ). The whole thing needed (still needs) balance adjusting. In the several times I've play tested it so far I've had a good fight, hard too! I upped the marines into Chinooks so I could double my troops capacity, also added a few extra groups of militia and removed that mortar! :D

I haven't managed to finish it yet, as it stands they put on a good fight!

NOTE:

- blackhawks under HAC control will serve as air support, cargo (teoretically) and medevac (have ambulance ability). May be a problem with landing on water after each mission (under HAC control air units will try to land at their initial positions after mission, not tested results for sea surface), so you may try to move their last waypoints over the carrier. They will go under HAC when this last waypoint will be done;

- is activated debug mode;

- in my opinion Cobras gives to big advantage. Unless this mission should be easy. As in Leader of B side group is armored vehicle, is some chance, that Cobra will kill Leader of B side too quickly when engaging this vehicle;

- was made some other minor changes, mostly in choppers' waypoints settings;

- see init.sqf for more explanations of HAC init config (what, where and why).

Cobras give to big an advantage? I must be a faaar worse player than you! I had to up it to 2 Apache's, the cobras were getting brought down or driven off. It's funny watching the Chinooks make gun runs but they've actually done a good job of accounting for themselves. My last 2 times through a Chinook was brought down or badly damaged each time. First time the Chinook went down leaving 12 or more wounded men with the rest dead. I dropped my weapons to swim out and bring 2 wounded men to shore and one of the pilots took my rifle! When I catch up to that flyboy I'll teach him to never touch a Marines rifle without asking.. His woman, sure, his toothbrush, maybe, his rifle!? NEVER!! :D On the last mission I just finished playing my chopper was hit bad enough that at least 9 or so including me were wounded on the ground. HET moved off the healthy units and left the rest of us without orders while we sorted out the wounded... Then went off and was having a good fight until I had a Hollywood moment. Dragging a wounded man into some trees I hear Russian voices, a trio have moved up but were all facing away down hill.. Gave each a nice double tap.. the angel of death with an ACOG man! Then a 4th came up and startled me but a twitchy finger got off enough rounds to bag him.. and his buddy came up and I had my sights riiight on him.. *click* Last thoughts through my mind.. I mean before the 7.62mm hunk of lead.. "Awwwww FU-"

The island was 2/3rds ours, but we were both at about 45% casualties.

It's been great fun!! THANKS AGAIN!!

EMOD

Great. :)

Cobras give to big an advantage? I must be a faaar worse player than you!

No, don't think so, I'm rather mediocre player, apparently battle was conducted different way in my and yours case. HAC make things more dynamic, where these things anyway are somehow dynamic. In my case cobras and marines quickly reduced OPFOR to a half, with very low OPFOR morale of course, so there was "a risk" that they will panic and surrender before I'l have a chance to fight with them... :) In later test they manage to shot down one blackhawk and situation reversed... The truth is, that in real such operation I'll expect 3:1 attackers:defenders ratio plus many air support for USMC. For infantry would remain to sweep remnants.

Edited by Rydygier

I downloaded this mission and had a lot of fun with it. The only things I added were the ambient civilian module, the ambient civilian vehicle module, and the Civilian Interaction Module.

The first run through we landed outside the town and made our way up the church when we were ambushed by a single insurgent pretty quickly. I took one casualty and one wounded and had the medic patch him up after we killed him off. I ran up through the church and saw a civilian walking around in his yard so I decided to ask him if he'd seen any other enemies nearby, and as I started to make my way to him a mortar round landed in the middle of the street. Surprisingly I wasn't wounded very badly, but he was dead. Over the next twenty minutes my Fire Team and two others fought over the little military outpost outside the town (near the airfield). We finally took it but had suffered significant casualties… both Cobra's had gone down and occasionally the MH-60's would seem to fly overhead and do gun runs but that was rare. I thought we would have things under control and still be able to push forward from the airfield on until a transport truck came driving down the hill. It stopped just short of the control tower and all these Russian troops started jumping out… I thought to myself, "I'm done.", but decided to fight anyways. I shot one guy, and to my surprise, all of the Russians laid down their weapons and surrendered. I thought it was kind of funny. To keep them from rejoining the fight I used the Civilian Interaction Module to start key cuffing them so they couldn't move. I arrested about four guys and all the rest decided to run off on me…naturally I started to shoot them. One guy turned around and tossed a grenade right at me (sneaky bastard…) and killed me.

The second time I ran it was more of a fight and my Fire Team made it all the way to the outpost with the mortar in it before I was killed by the BTR-90.

Great mission all together. If anybody has anything else like this upload it! I would love to play it. I wonder how far you could go to make an extremely realistic invasion of Utes using HAC...

I downloaded this mission and had a lot of fun with it. The only things I added were the ambient civilian module, the ambient civilian vehicle module, and the Civilian Interaction Module.

Rydygier really tweaked the setup, cleaned it up a LOT from the mess I had, it's finally a playable (and now it can be adjusted for balance - ie: I doubled the marines by switching to Chinooks - also have a bigger invasion force in 2 large landing craft that I am now going to finish for a total of 3 invasion Utes HET-maps). Then I plan to launch HETman at Chernarus in a series of missions, and eventually I'm going to invade all the maps in my inventory! I haven't used the Civ Interaction Module, but now that sounds like it has some real potential.

The first run through we landed outside the town and made our way up the church when we were ambushed by a single insurgent pretty quickly. I took one casualty and one wounded and had the medic patch him up after we killed him off. I ran up through the church and saw a civilian walking around in his yard so I decided to ask him if he'd seen any other enemies nearby, and as I started to make my way to him a mortar round landed in the middle of the street. Surprisingly I wasn't wounded very badly, but he was dead. Over the next twenty minutes my Fire Team and two others fought over the little military outpost outside the town (near the airfield). We finally took it but had suffered significant casualties… both Cobra's had gone down and occasionally the MH-60's would seem to fly overhead and do gun runs but that was rare. I thought we would have things under control and still be able to push forward from the airfield on until a transport truck came driving down the hill. It stopped just short of the control tower and all these Russian troops started jumping out… I thought to myself, "I'm done.", but decided to fight anyways. I shot one guy, and to my surprise, all of the Russians laid down their weapons and surrendered. I thought it was kind of funny. To keep them from rejoining the fight I used the Civilian Interaction Module to start key cuffing them so they couldn't move. I arrested about four guys and all the rest decided to run off on me…naturally I started to shoot them. One guy turned around and tossed a grenade right at me (sneaky bastard…) and killed me.

The second time I ran it was more of a fight and my Fire Team made it all the way to the outpost with the mortar in it before I was killed by the BTR-90.

Great mission all together. If anybody has anything else like this upload it! I would love to play it. I wonder how far you could go to make an extremely realistic invasion of Utes using HAC...

I'd be more than happy to share my HET-campaign as they go. I'm not the fanciest mission maker (only had Arma for 4 months now) so my missions lack all the finesse of released missions, no big back story, no fancy intro's.. Mine are in the vein of "a grunts tale..." and my 'end' condition is actually little more than a radio alpha and a trigger to end it. I just make the decision whenever I feel like it.. call it, check my stats to see if I hit ANYTHING this time and back to editor.. :) I stick to the regular A2:CO units so USMC, USA and BAF. I can't take any real credit, HETman is the real mission maker now!

I feel for ya about that truck load of infantry, I had it show up on my on the far SW portion of the island, and I had 2 men down wounded including the medic when that thing showed up and started spitting out troops. I thought I was done but a Chinook made a strafing run and wasted half of them and flamed the truck too! I have started to thin the Opfor units a little in my version, they're still pretty lethal to my choppers. :) I don't know if HET did it deliberately but it's saved my bacon once or twice. I've been in a bad spot, 3 wounded running low on ammo and suddenly there are marines to my left and marines to my right and what I thought was certain death for my team was salvaged.. Well until I stood up.. Never the same fight twice which makes adjusting a challenge since it takes 3 times through to know if there is a balance issue or simply the fortunes of war.

Oh! Rydygier - Mine may play a little harder because it was always my intent to start my transport choppers on the deck and have the gunships in the air. I only had them in the air at start because I was testing a lot and was to impatient with the flight time, but I wanted the slight delay before landing to let HET set up the defenses and react to the gunships. It seems to me that the extra time has made it a bit tougher, I think it's cause the units are not as concentrated and are already responding to combat.

A half dozen more times through in Chinooks and then I think I'll tweak the Blackhawk version and then lastly finish the landing craft version. :)

Cheers!

EMOD.

I could care less if there's intros or anything like that, as long as its a good fight then it's worth it :)

I highly recommend the Civilian Interaction Module with HAC - while the name suggests interaction with civilians it can also be used with surrendered enemy solders as well. So if you run into a squad that surrenders and puts down their weapons, you can key cuff them which locks there hands behind their backs and forces them to sit on the ground. They can't move, can't rejoin the fight later or anything. Always great if you're going for a more realistic approach with missions.

Some good news for air cargo fans. It seems, that after many houres of tests and bug hunitng I'm on good way to improve reliability of air cargo significantly. BTW already corrected some rare problems with arty fire and with idle orders. Still awaits boring impementation of air cargo fixes and some correction of morale calculations, when new groups are added under Leaders control during the game (to avoid morale drops because of that, and negative losses value for debug), but not sure, if will be possible anything here. This depends on free time, but next HAC version should be released soon.

Edited by Rydygier

Hello again! I have been going back to the mission I talked about last, here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?129003-HETMAN-Artificial-Commander&p=2217288&viewfull=1#post2217288

I´ve not been using RYD for a while because I have been busy with real life, and I´ve just returned to it seriously today. I am still trying to get this mission to work properly after figuring out how to make artillery work (that was easy, thanks for implementing this feature). The problem is, still, the following.

BBa runs trough its paces, assigns fronts and objectives, issues orders and finishes the cycle normally. BBb works fine until it checks placement of its forces, and then stalls. The longest I have waited for it to finish was about an hour, but no luck. I have changed setup of the Units, changed placement, worked trough the init.sqf for errors, checked the RPT but no luck. It is full of errors I don´t understand, too: on my view, the init.sqs seems fine, but the RPT complains about lots of things.

Mods or no mods doesn´t matter either, currently I am running Arma in vanilla mode to see if I can figure out how to fix the problem. Again, I am having no luck. I even completely replaced units for the problematic force commanders on the map, and placed all of them in the same location, but BBb still stalls at finding out the Unit locations. I am running out of Ideas right now, and wondered if you could have a look at it? Big Boss is about the greatest feature of this, and I would love for one mission to have properly working to use as template for future missions.

Uploaded a file containing the mission and the most recent .rpt here: http://filesmelt.com/dl/BBMission.rar

I´ve changed the mission name, but the last RPT entries are for this mission and all it contains. I have -no- clue why the things are not working, so any help from anybody would be appreciated. It would be also cool if my mistakes could be documented, whatever I did wrong, so other people can avoid doing the same mistakes.

Edit: I also am using the last version available on Armaholic, no beta or trial version, if that helps any.

Edited by InstaGoat

I haven't now time for test this myself, but in init.sqf you have syntax error in line 540 (RHQ_MArmor), where is comma, that shouldn't be here, after last element of an array: "T34_TK_GUE_EP1". Delete this comma and try, if this helped.

I haven't now time for test this myself, but in init.sqf you have syntax error in line 540 (RHQ_MArmor), where is comma, that shouldn't be here, after last element of an array: "T34_TK_GUE_EP1". Delete this comma and try, if this helped.

Thanks, fixed it. There was another comma error in a different place at line 738 that I also fixed, RPT is clean now as far as the init file goes.

However, in the RPT, this shows up all the time after BBa finishes his thing:

"Big Boss A will now use some break for coffee and cigarette."
"Big Boss B awakes (time: 53.942)"
"Big Boss B is looking for strategic objectives."
"Big Boss B is analyzing forces..."
"Big Boss B is checking own forces placement..."
Error in expression <enAr) > 0) then
{
{
_eA = _x;
_eP = _eA select 0;
_eT = _eA select 2;

{
_sA = _>
 Error position: <select 0;
_eT = _eA select 2;

{
_sA = _>
 Error select: Typ Zeichenfolge, erwartet Array,Config entry
"Morale C (EAGER): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale D (COMPETENT): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale A (EAGER): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale B (BRUTE): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale C (EAGER): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale D (COMPETENT): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale A (EAGER): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)"
"Morale B (BRUTE): 0 - losses: 0 percent (0)" (Ends here.)

Error select apparently reads: Type String, expects Array,Config entry.

I have nil understanding of programming language, so I can´t really interprete what is going on here. Thanks for your quick reply too, no haste! I will try to continue figuring things out, updating this post if I find out anything.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: Also found I am running JSRS along with this. Haven´t heard the normal sounds for so long, didn´t even know the difference. I doubt this affects anything, though I will try it without. No luck so far.

Edited by InstaGoat