Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

Yes, that is correct. HAC will delete previously added waypoints only when actually issues an order to given unit. Will see, if something change here in new version...

Here is an example mission for setting waypoints to a players group and then canceling them when action starts and turning player over to HAC. ;)

see latest post with link.

enjoy :)

Edited by Mikey74

Great! Personally can't check, because there are some OA (haven't) units (characters_e missing)... but thanks.

oops I used all Arma2 units, but originaly had OA units let me fix and repost. :)

Here ya go I still had my leader as us Army not a Marine :/

see latest post with link. :)

Edited by Mikey74

Looks very elegant. One note:

instead of:

This setVariable ["RydHQ_Personality","GENIUS"];

use:

RydHQ_Personality = "GENIUS";

And for leaderHQB eg:

RydHQB_Personality = "GENIUS";

RydHQ_Personality = "GENIUS";
that works :)

Fixed http://www.mediafire.com/?mbvs28tbh7l6u87

I was thinking maybe having a variable for behavior. Like could you do like your HQ personality

RydHQ_Behavior = "combat";
Would that be easier for you? Edited by Mikey74

Unfortunately I can't use single variable for this purpose, because behavior may be different for different units; but it's not a problem, there are other ways.

Your mission with adjusted accordingly marker text:

http://www.multiupload.com/ABX5Y8K4C0

Thanks again. :)

yeh I fixed it plus added content to it. but you need Rydygeir's Fire at will pbo http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15653too. ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?9a6trktygzatfpy <-- new version with added content and corrections :) much beter if you have Arma2 you can run now.

Heres the same battle using Norrin's unit respawn, and a vehicle one I cooked up with help. :) http://www.mediafire.com/?clp79qep86iiu9i no waypoints are added by these scripts its completly up to HAC to assign waypoints, and HAC does a good job :)

Edited by Mikey74

Yeah. Yummy. :)

If you want greater chance for arty support, set smaller safety zone: eg to 100 meters: RydART_Safe = 100; but then arty will be less accurate against moving targets. And if you want more frequent arty barrages: RydART_Interval = 15;

: RydART_Safe = 100; [/b]

whats defualt? Defualt actually does fine. The only thing Ive wanted to edit was how fast some of the rounds fall. Round burst where like several seconds apart I wanted less than a second apart.

Just a note about transport, have a look at 'zone killers AI vehicle' script, cant provide link as on phone, but this might be a solution for some who want AI to use vehicles, he uses FSM and has respawn options, recommended to use movein option for driver/commander/gunner and they will respawn with vehicle.

The best thing about this is AI will pick up buddies and give them rides, even in the field, AI will auto use these vehicles if empty, it's best to have at least dedicated driver though as mixed groups can board one vehicle.

Although I have found just simply assigning transport to all units works best?

whats defualt? Defualt actually does fine.

Default is 200 meters. This value is always multiplied by individual weapon factor. For mortars this factor is equal 1. Biggest for GRAD - 4, because of biggest dispersion. Default value is also preffered, but in battles on close distances this means, that battery will rarely fire at enemy because often some allied group will be within safe zone.

The only thing Ive wanted to edit was how fast some of the rounds fall. Round burst where like several seconds apart I wanted less than a second apart.

Variable for this purpose is RydART_Rate, but by default is equal 0, it means, that batteries will fire their salvo as fast as they are able to (maximum speed allowed by Arty module). I don't know, how to override this limitation. There is one thing, that you may try - default salvo consist of 6 rounds. If battery will consist of at least 6 units, the whole salvo go at once, without additional interval in the middle needed for reload. You can also accordingly reduce the amount of shells per salvo (eg RydART_Amount = 4;)

Hey Ryd, I've been using the script-only version (having it as an addon that always runs could mess with some regular stuff we have running on our server) but the defend mode doesn't seem to want to work with it -If a side is put in to defend mode or there's no objective they just sit there doing literally nothing, and it appears the next cycle doesn't properly initialise (in debug, data about morale stops coming up until the side is put back in to attack mode)

I know not much about servers and other MP matters, but I'll try to figure out, what is going on. Are there any RPT messages?

EDIT: for now I can confirm this issue, so its pure HAC problem. There is no any RPT errors, so I must just review line by line code dealing with defense mode and determine which commands work differently in SP mode and different when they are running on the server. This may take some time...

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Problem is related with air units handling in defensive mode. Without air units script works fine for me. Now I'll look closely to this part of code and will try to prepare some quick file replacement for script version.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Try with this:

HAC AirDef fix

It seems that this problem affected not only MP. In the new, under development, version this bug was already traced. Yet I am not sure if it will do the trick. It may be also something else here...

Edited by Rydygier

Vehicle crews joining groups isnt a very good idea. As I noted before choppers are very wonky. Also you will end up with some units that wont get any transport at all since other units will hog all the vehicles for themselves.

Group will look for vehicle only when it will not have their own, so unlimited vehicles collecting here does not threaten.

EDIT: but indeed vehicle once assigned to the group no longer will remain available to other groups... In HAC is much easier to make group use the cargo vehicles, than to make them no longer use it and separate vehicle at the right moment... So will think more about that.

Of course I'll have to test everything. Without joining vehicles to a group the problem appears that a vehicle, eg APC, acting as a separate group, will get a waypoint in one place while his passengers will get a waypoint somewhere else ...

Edited by Rydygier

I know not much about servers and other MP matters, but I'll try to figure out, what is going on. Are there any RPT messages?

EDIT: for now I can confirm this issue, so its pure HAC problem. There is no any RPT errors, so I must just review line by line code dealing with defense mode and determine which commands work differently in SP mode and different when they are running on the server. This may take some time...

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Problem is related with air units handling in defensive mode. Without air units script works fine for me. Now I'll look closely to this part of code and will try to prepare some quick file replacement for script version.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Try with this:

HAC AirDef fix

It seems that this problem affected not only MP. In the new, under development, version this bug was already traced. Yet I am not sure if it will do the trick. It may be also something else here...

This was happening in SP, rather than MP -will see if the fix does it though

EDIT: but indeed vehicle once assigned to the group no longer will remain available to other groups... In HAC is much easier to make group use the cargo vehicles, than to make them no longer use it and separate vehicle at the right moment... So will think more about that.

Of course I'll have to test everything. Without joining vehicles to a group the problem appears that a vehicle, eg APC, acting as a separate group, will get a waypoint in one place while his passengers will get a waypoint somewhere else ...

All you need to to do is give vehicle "Unload" order and infantry will get out on its own.

You can do it like this: HAC checks if group is in cargo, if it is they are dont get any orders. Vehicle they are in gets order to drop them off somewhere, once its done you just need for next cycle so HAC gives unloaded infantry new orders. Dirty, but may work.

Tommorow (well... today actually) maybe I will manage to do so, that the group away from its waypoint by more than, say, 3000 meters (?), will look in a specific radius for an empty vehicle with sufficient capacity, which will stay with group. If such is not found, HAC will assign to this group only for travel time capacious enough, currently not occupied vehicle from "Cargo" pool. After reaching the destination and unload, vehicle will return to the starting point and only then will be ready for another orders.

3 KM is a long way for ground ponders indeed. Vehicles should drop of units about 1KM-300m from target, this way they wont be easy traget for enemy.

I am struggling a lot with wounded troops right now while using HAC, for example the mission I'm playing on has me as the AR of a 4 man fire team. Our objective is 1km away, but our Fire Team Leader got wounded somehow in the leg and has been crawling ever since. Needless to say, our objective is still some 700 meters out and we aren't gaining any ground. I would break away and move off myself but that breaks immersion and I wouldn't have any other team members supporting me, plus hearing "3, return to formation" a thousand times gets annoying.

I know you are planning on improving ambulances and logistics, do you think that it would be possible to make it so that HAC is able to determine the severity of the wounded and make decisions based off of that? People with leg wounds, the ones who can't walk, would be the worst and would be given priority considering how they slow up the pace of things. They would be treated as quickly as possible to get them back to base. Then the rest (anyone who CAN walk) are taken care of and treated by how badly they have been wounded. I know someone suggested load the whole team up once a vehicle arrived and send them off, but I would rather prefer to keep on with the mission if possible than return to base because only one member was hurt. Usually during most conflicts only the wounded are sent away while the rest keep on fighting. So, if the team comes under contact and suffers casualties, HAC could check to see how badly each member was wounded/how many had died. If it determines that there are too many wounded or dead for the group to continue on to the objective, they will all be extracted. If it decides that there's enough to press forward, it would somehow un-group the wounded units and send them back to base. If the Team Leader was one of the men sent back to base, leadership would go to the next ranking unit. Once they were sent back and patched up, they could be assigned to join other groups nearby or form new groups with other wounded soldiers who were brought back and either placed on defense or if desperate enough sent back into battle. Proximity to units should be determined, so say:

-If a squad or fire team has a Corpsman/Medic already, they will just patch their own unit up the best they can.

-If 1-4 units are lightly wounded (no leg wounds) and are still standing and able to fight, HAC will order the nearest squad with a Corpsman/Medic to patch them up because it is not that severe. However this should only be used for a few troops wounded because calling another squad or fire team away from their original objective is not always a good idea.

-If a HMMWV/GAZ MEDEVAC vehicle is present and say like 4-5 units are severely wounded (meaning they can't walk, only crawl), the vehicle will be ordered to move to their position and that is when they become un-grouped and sent away. Both the HMMWV and GAZ have 4-5 seats each for passengers, one in the front and then something like 4 stretchers in the back.

-If the location is safe enough, and there are more than 5 severely wounded, they will be un-grouped and a helicopter will come (if present) to extract them and bring them back to base. The Russians have the Mi-8 MEDEVAC chopper, the Marines could use the Knighthawk/Blackhawk helicopter or UH-1 as a substitute.

-If there are no support vehicles available and they are severely wounded, the team could either A) move to the closest Corpsman/Medic or at least try and meet halfway, or B) return to base assuming a Field Hospital was there.

None of the units except a friendly Corpsman/Medic will move towards the wounded squads position until all enemies and other threats are clear to eliminate any risk of losing the support asset. If the wounded troops hadn't or can't eliminate nearby enemies, they will do there best to retreat using the new system you implemented (careless, full speed, hold fire) to a better position. If the units can't walk while retreating, maybe enable something similar to the combat clearance that allows AI to carry or drag other units. While waiting for the units to be picked up, everyone will be ordered to "HOLD" and switch to"COMBAT" so they will be ready to intercept any new attacks as well as protect the assisting units who are coming to them. Once the wounded are loaded on, the rest of the remaining team will move on if they have enough men. If not they can all be extracted out back to base. Similar to what Taro8 said earlier, units could be given a "LOAD" and "UNLOAD" waypoint when extraction transports come and later drop them off at base. I don't know how you'd go about un-grouping and re-grouping units, but I have seen it done with another mod I think. If I can find it I will let you know. You might ask, well why not just send the vehicle out so that they can heal right then and there and continue with the fight. Not everyone uses vanilla A2 wounds, so this was kind of a way to keep it addon friendly. Maybe make it one of those things where you have the option of on and off.

A script you might want to check out is this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15664&highlight=CIM

While it is in the OA section it might still work with regular ArmA 2, but who knows, if anything you might be able to look at the code and figure something out. Basically one of the features it includes is a module which is synchronized to a player, and once the player detains either civilians or surrendered enemies they are able to join them to their group, throw a smoke grenade for a helicopter to come, order them on board the chopper, than un-group them and send them away. I have already been using this with HAC and GL4 lately, its pretty cool when enemies surrender in battle and you are able to key cuff them until the fights over, then when its done, send them away via chopper.

I know that this is a lot of information once again from me and it may not entirely fit the scope of HAC or be entirely possible to code, I just am becoming extremely frustrated when teammates are wounded and we've had to stop to a slow walk just to keep everyone together while moving to distant objectives. Hopefully something in there will help you along with this if you haven't come up with a better system already, I tried to keep the focus of HAC in mind and balance realism while still keeping it as simple as I could with what I suggested.

Ok I did some testing and here is what I came up with:

*Vehicles with damage/low ammo/ low fuel will use support vehicles by themselves if support is available in radius around 500m

*Support vehicles will try to move to vehicle they try to support: BAD THING, usually they crash or support vehicle keeps escaping vehicle its supposed to help. disableAI "move" fixes the problem

*by themselves medics from different squads will not help damaged soldiers or ones with injured legs

*using DAP AI first aid support addon everybody will help out soldiers in agony

*medics WILL help out if they are loaded and unloaded (weird I know, maybe its addons)

*medics ON FOOT with support waypoint will help out everyone injured

*medics with vehicle in group or owning a vehicle (they entered empty one) will drive to unit that requested support, disembark and do nothing (dunno whats wrong)

*infantry will use ambulance or field hospital as long as its within around 500m (?), same problem with vehicle moving around to help (it usually runs over soldiers)

*ammo/fuel/repair vehicles with support waypoint will cause driver to get out and do nothing

Ok I did some testing and here is what I came up with:

*Vehicles with damage/low ammo/ low fuel will use support vehicles by themselves if support is available in radius around 500m

*Support vehicles will try to move to vehicle they try to support: BAD THING, usually they crash or support vehicle keeps escaping vehicle its supposed to help. disableAI "move" fixes the problem

*by themselves medics from different squads will not help damaged soldiers or ones with injured legs

*using DAP AI first aid support addon everybody will help out soldiers in agony

*medics WILL help out if they are loaded and unloaded (weird I know, maybe its addons)

*medics ON FOOT with support waypoint will help out everyone injured

*medics with vehicle in group or owning a vehicle (they entered empty one) will drive to unit that requested support, disembark and do nothing (dunno whats wrong)

*infantry will use ambulance or field hospital as long as its within around 500m (?), same problem with vehicle moving around to help (it usually runs over soldiers)

*ammo/fuel/repair vehicles with support waypoint will cause driver to get out and do nothing

I'm confused, is this with using HAC? I thought it reassigned or deleted waypoints that even a player put. If I just put a medic with support waypoint would he help out those in need regardless of HAC being present?

This was without HAC, just some testing of unit support behavior.

I forgot to put conclusion I arrived to:

The best way to make medic heal a squad is to make him part of it. Otherwise you need ambulance or a field hospital. Medic with support waypoint is very wonky if he posseses a vehicle.