Sign in to follow this  
freeman83

R.I.P MGS Rising

Was anybody else looking forward to MGS Rising? I thought the original teaser looked so cool...

I can't believe the original concept has been cancelled only to be replaced by this cartoony hack and slash "MGS revengance" by Platinum Games.

It looks like Kojima regrets the decision to cancel in this video, which looks a lot like a repentance vlog.

Lol, maybe he will change the name to MGS repentance.

Edited by freeman83

looks like if Deus ex HR as some over the top trippy jap anime :p (not a style im particularly found of)

and correct me if im wrong, but wasn't MGS like some stealth game? you sneak around in a box and shit? that seems to be the exact opposite of sneaking

and yeah, sorry, but a 25 min long video... cant get through it

MGS is probably one of the best franchises out there ATM.

This don´t belong t that.

First of all, this was never a Metal Gear Solid title. The "Solid" bit is actually an incredibly important symbol as the third word signifies a new style of game (Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Ac!d and now Metal Gear Rising). It was never intended to have the same gameplay as Solid.

Second, this is still called, and always has been called, Metal Gear Rising (i dunno where you got any indication otherwise), now its just made by Platinum. Its like the love child of Metal Gear and Devil May Cry....and i love DMC.

Finally, he wants to make MGS5, you'll get your next "normal" title soon enough.

Has it been established if this is before or after MGS4? curious because Raiden seemed much weaker in that game by comparison.

Edited by NodUnit

Never liked MGS myself.

This isn't MGS , this is Metal Gear Rising ;)

When i saw that trailer , i was like "WTF they thinking" and the Hideo said that could be deleted :D

Anyway that MGR is just a spin off , true sequel will be MGS5 for PS4 :p

Also big shame they scraped the Original idea about to show how Raiden saves Sunny from Patriots and what happend to him , when he needed that exoskeleton :(

Edited by RobertHammer

Probably because, like in most games, you level up your character to god-like extents, so it would seem weird for Raiden to be absolutely freakin awesome in Rising only to be a tad mediocre compared in MGS4.

Then you had that strange sheath that was completely unlike what he had in MGS4, and how he needed to take on that energy stuff (presumably) to survive unlike MGS4, how his armour was more black grey rather than the white one-piece suit in 4...

Basically too many differences between it and 4 that couldn't be explained away easily, i can see why they changed it.

Has it been established if this is before or after MGS4? curious because Raiden seemed much weaker in that game by comparison.

After, as it gives Platinum more flexibility and because KJ was struggling to make a worthwhile story bridging MGS2 and MGS4

First of all, this was never a Metal Gear Solid title. The "Solid" bit is actually an incredibly important symbol as the third word signifies a new style of game (Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Ac!d and now Metal Gear Rising). It was never intended to have the same gameplay as Solid.

Second, this is still called, and always has been called, Metal Gear Rising (i dunno where you got any indication otherwise), now its just made by Platinum. Its like the love child of Metal Gear and Devil May Cry....and i love DMC.

Finally, he wants to make MGS5, you'll get your next "normal" title soon enough.

Sorry to correct you, but it was originally called "Metal Gear Solid Rising" see 1.34 of the E3 2010 trailer. And was sub titled as "lightning bolt action". If you check out the interview with the original producer/director of the game from e3 2010, they talk about the "zan datsu" concept "cut and take", and the "Hunting stealth" game play concept for rising. It was originally intended to be a stealth game with sword elements. If you have ever played the ninja charactors in MGS special missions or MGS2 substance, you get a feel for how this game could of turned out.

If you watch the last video, the Kojima productions staff explain what happened to the original rising. It was developed on the fox engine and due to technical difficulties they could only get 20 frames per second out of this game , probably due to the new cutting mechanic, which generated real time cuts in objects. Also Kojima and all of his staff all shared the feeling that the game play was incomplete and they just could not find the inspiration to flesh it out in to a complete game i guess. So they gave up and shipped over the game to platinum games. The new game revealed only a week or so ago, is now called Metal gear Revengance, and has no resemblance to the original Rising as far as i am concerned. The original game looked very much like a Metal gear Solid game to me, and had silky smooth animations and such a cool cutting mechanic. The game Revengance looks, feels and operates nothing like the original. Even the cutting is done by canned animations and not generated by the game engine like in Rising. Don't be fooled, Rising was cancelled. Revengance is not anything like Rising. Kojima copped out.

Edited by freeman83

Sorry to correct you, but it was originally called "Metal Gear Solid Rising" see 1.34 of the E3 2010 trailer.

Good point, my bad but the mere fact that they've referred to it as MGR since speaks volumes for what the game really would turn out to be.

If you check out the interview with the original producer/director of the game from e3 2010, they talk about the "zan datsu" concept "cut and take", and the "Hunting stealth" game play concept for rising. It was originally intended to be a stealth game with sword elements. If you have ever played the ninja charactors in MGS special missions or MGS2 substance, you get a feel for how this game could of turned out.

Not really, mainly because in the trailer they showed it was hardly stealth gameplay, what with all that shooting and the bright lights, hardly a stealth game at all (and yes, i have played MGS2).

If you watch the last video, the Kojima productions staff explain what happened to the original rising. It was developed on the fox engine and due to technical difficulties they could only get 20 frames per second out of this game , probably due to the new cutting mechanic, which generated real time cuts in objects. Also Kojima and all of his staff all shared the feeling that the game play was incomplete and they just could not find the inspiration to flesh it out in to a complete game i guess. So they gave up and shipped over the game to platinum games. The new game revealed only a week or so ago, is now called Metal Gear RISING: Revengance, and has no resemblance to the original Rising as far as i am concerned. The original game looked very much like a Metal Gear Solid game to me, and had silky smooth animations and such a cool cutting mechanic. The game Revengance looks, feels and operates nothing like the original. Even the cutting is done by canned animations and not generated by the game engine like in Rising. Don't be fooled, Rising was cancelled. MGR: Revengance is not anything like Rising. Kojima copped out.

Point 1: Bold

Point 2: How could it possibly have looked like MGS gameplay at all? First of all you're a cyborg and secondly your primary weapon was a sword, hardly an Operator or a .45, there is no way known you could have MGS gameplay, because that is unique to Snakes character.

You can't make a traditional MGS game with a character like Raiden, hes too over the top and as i said there were far too many plot holes with the original from the get go.

Copped out? More like they recognised that this would not turn out so well so instead of trying to make something they simply can't, gave it to someone who could. I don't blame them for the change and it gives them room to make a MGS.

Oh big shame about MGR :(

Something about MGS5 , it is very likely that it will be the Outer Heaven , because who played or know the story of MGS Peace Walker , then you know

In the end of the game there is a audio record (shame not a video :D)of Opening the Outer Heaven

And we could probably play as young Solid Snake and maybe Frank Jaeger aka Gray Fox too

Edited by RobertHammer

Not really, mainly because in the trailer they showed it was hardly stealth gameplay, what with all that shooting and the bright lights, hardly a stealth game at all (and yes, i have played MGS2).

@Innomadic

Which trailer are you talking about?. Yes if it's the new one by platinum games, it looks like a mess, i totally agree. I only like the e3 2010 trailer and original concept for Rising by Kojima Productions btw.

The 2010 trailer, only showed the cutting and action side of the game play. Don't you think it looked good in 2010 ?. What was not shown but is talked about by Shigenobu Matsuyama, was the hunting stealth aspect of the game play, which you would have seen if they had finished the game. After all in essence, a ninja is stealthy, which is essentially what the Raiden character is based on, like grey fox.

Don't take my word for it, check out this presentation. The producers talk about stealth in Rising and the difference between snake and Raidens stealth abilities. from 4:17 onwards.

You can't make a traditional MGS game with a character like Raiden

@Innomadic

Why not, MGS2 was'nt so bad. Don't assume that because this time Raiden is ninja like that the game play would have become completely unrecognisable like Revengance has unfortunately become. It depends on how you define what makes it recognizable as a MGS game. The thing that stands out about MGS games to me, is the choices you are given in how you can play the game. Even with snake, you could run and gun, or sneak, you could kill like a maniac or just knock out your enemies. Along with these and other very clever and quirky elements the games become clearly recognisable as a Kojima, Kojima productions or MGS game. In the content that was presented and talked about in 2010 their was enough to show that the game was in the spirit of MGS. You will not find any of these elements in the new Platinum games title, Revengance.

Also Check out this short interview with the art director of Rising (Yoji Shinkawa) for some clues about the nature of the original rising. He is also the Art director for the whole MGS series from Mgs1 onwards, in case you didn't know.

Copped out? More like they recognised that this would not turn out so well so instead of trying to make something they simply can't, gave it to someone who could.

@Innomadic

They didn't give a good enough reason to justify why they cancelled the original Rising IMHO. The doubt about the gameplay sounds like an excuse to me, it was probably mainly due to the ambitious fox engine and cutting mechanic causing technical problems, making it impossible to complete the game without stopping to spend more time to tweak the fox engine. It's the only reason i can find to explain why they would drop such a good looking idea, that they had been hinting at since MGS1 special missions with the grey fox level and the ninja vr missions in substance. Am i the only MGS fan that was really looking forward to finally playing as the ninja?. I would have payed good money for what they showed at e3 2010, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Anyways, bottom line is Rising was a completely different beast to what recently became Revengace. I get the feeling your looking at the latter as defining the direction the game was going in from the start, which is not accurate. We missed out on something that could have been great. Oh well , Roll on MGS5... or perhaps Metal Gear 1 the remake ;)

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Oh big shame about MGR :(

Something about MGS5 , it is very likely that it will be the Outer Heaven , because who played or know the story of MGS Peace Walker , then you know

In the end of the game there is a audio record (shame not a video :D)of Opening the Outer Heaven

And we could probably play as young Solid Snake and maybe Frank Jaeger aka Gray Fox too

@RobertHammer. I hope your right, outer heaven looks a likely suspect for the next MGS game. Throw in grey fox as a side character and the fox engine and the cutting mechanic from rising... and Kojima will be close to redeeming himself for this recent unprecedented fuck up i think. =)

Edited by freeman83