Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

FHQ WIP Thread (contains lots of images)

Since I was really getting bored with the ACR, I have started with a new one: The RSASS (Remington Semi-Automatic Sniper System). Unlike the MSR, this has 7.62x56 ammo and is semi-automatic, not bolt-action.

Untextured so far, except for the scope which was blatantly ripped off Varanon's MSR. 4200 Polygons, mostly quads. Scope adds another 1000 faces. Will come in the usual four camos, with Leupold with or without night vision attached, and with a TWS scope. I'll probably add a side rail for the laser as well.

(click for larger images)

rsass4.th.jpgrsass3.th.jpgrsass2.th.jpgrsass1.th.jpg

As usual, modeled in Blender thanks to the Blender Exporter by Leopotam

I'd pick a eotech or aimpoint over one of those reflex sights ANY DAY.

They break so fast, I've never seen them being used in the field anyway..

COD'ish but it looks cool anyway.

This project looks very promising and i am looking very much forward to trying them out once they get released... Continue the good work.

A question: Do you consider to create the Remington MCS and the Remington XM2010, along with the other very good looking rifles from Remington you already are doing...

A question: Do you consider to create the Remington MCS and the Remington XM2010, along with the other very good looking rifles from Remington you already are doing...

I don't know yet. Right now, the ACR, MSR, RSASS and the RGP are set. I'll have a look at the XM2010, it looks very similar to the MSR and we might be able to modify the MSR into the XM2010.

Not sure about the MCS. It's a shotgun, and I never saw much use for shotguns in ARMA. We'll see :)

How about adding a pistol to the mix? I know Remington doesn't make pistols but maybe you could select one to include in the mod?

Anyway, great work Alwarren.

How about adding a pistol to the mix? I know Remington doesn't make pistols but maybe you could select one to include in the mod?

Anyway, great work Alwarren.

If we ever release this pack (which we really hope to do asap), the next thing we had planned was a "Commando" weapon pack with compact variants of some assault rifles, SMG's and pistols.

The ACR is going to be part of the Remington Pack. That will include at least the ACR, MSR, RSASS, and RGP. Maybe more, depending on time.

I never heard of the RGP so I googled it...pretty sweet. Is it going to come in all different variants and camos like your ACR?

I just noticed this addon but I'm very impressed so far. Keep up the good work.

I can't say I've ever seen a ACR with 18 inch barrel, but that barrel on that DMR looks awfully long. More than 18".

I just noticed this addon but I'm very impressed so far. Keep up the good work.

Thanks ;)

I can't say I've ever seen a ACR with 18 inch barrel, but that barrel on that DMR looks awfully long. More than 18".
I don't quite remember how long they are, I need to check again, but I am pretty sure they are 18" from the chamber to the muzzle breaker. Remington is considering doing an 18" barrel for the ACR, so I went for the longer version since 16 inch wouldn't have have much difference visually. In game, the only real difference is the scope (Leupold vs. ACOG or Eotech Magnifier) with zeroing, since the ballistic data of the bullet is determined by the mag (unfortunately), not by the weapon's barrel size.

In the end, I don't expect the DMR versions to be widely used since the MSR and RSASS fill the role of a sniper/DMR much better. The RSASS I made has a 45 degrees rail adapter next to the scope with an offset Docter sight so it's quite useful as a marksman rifle :) The big advantage of the ACR DMR is that it uses the same 30 round Remington 6.8 SPC mags as the rest, so exchanging ammo is easier. MSR uses 10 Round Lapua Magnum, and the RSASS 20 Round Mk17 mags.

A few new in-game pictures of the RSASS. The first two are outside views, while the last one is a view through the secondary sight, a 45 degree Docter.

arma2oa2011122919295804.th.jpgarma2oa2011122919274181.th.jpgarma2oa2011122919282051.th.jpg

Enjoy!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, units are TF86 SEALS, the island is McNool's Hazar-Kot Valley.

I never heard of the RGP so I googled it...pretty sweet. Is it going to come in all different variants and camos like your ACR?

(Sorry I overlooked this question)

Yes, the plan is to have the same camos and variants for the RGP as for the ACR. Which probably means another 90 models to maintain *sigh* ;)

In the meantime, this is the work of about one hour of modelling. I will probably re-do the pump handle, but I was surprised how fast this one went:

mcsq.th.jpg

Very nice work Alwarren :)

btw you could probably try modern high poly modeling and bake method - that way is alot better , not saying that your old school way is bad ,but you know "next gen" way :D

same goes to those textures

Edited by RobertHammer

Very nice work Alwarren :)

btw you could probably try modern high poly modeling and bake method - that way is alot better , not saying that your old school way is bad ,but you know "next gen" way :D

The truth is I don't have a clue how that works in Blender. I was going to look at it, but I wanted to finish the current stuff before that.

The whole thing started by accident anyway. I watched a video on YouTube about modelling a weapon in Blender, then tried it myself (ACR was a random pick because the video was doing a SCAR). That's how things got here :)

same goes to those textures

Currently, I paint textures in Blender directly, via cloning and/or direct painting. I usually bake an ambient occlusion map to get the static shading, but I never was good at making textures.

Thanks for the hints :)

Time for another update.

This is the first version of the Remington R5 RGP. I am now trying a high-res model and bake it onto a low-res one. This is the high resolution model, with approximately 200k polygons. Not quite finished yet, there are some details missing (like the ejection port, brass deflector, trigger and a few others) but it is shaping up I think.

r5rgp1.th.jpgr5rgp2.th.png

As usual, comments welcome :)

Looking nice.

My gun knowledge aint very large, so could you please explain to me the difference between the RGP and ACR, other than the look...

Thankx in advance..

Looking nice.

My gun knowledge aint very large, so could you please explain to me the difference between the RGP and ACR, other than the look...

Thankx in advance..

The RGP is an alternative upper receiver for AR-15/M4 type rifles. The one I modeled uses a different stock (Magpul ACS) and a Magpul pistol grip, but other than that, it's an M4. It only comes in one caliber (5.56).

The ACR is a completely new rifle. It has a bolt carrier block with an exchangeable bolt head and barrel that can be replaced to adjust for different calibers. The pack contains only the 6.8 SPC caliber, but a 5.56 and/or .300 Winchester is also available in reality. There's even adapters for using AK mags and caliber.

I am not entirely sure what the RGP uses (it looks like a long piston to me from the pictures I've seen), but the operating mechanism of both guns are pretty similar, and very different from the M4's.

So, apart from the caliber and a few cosmetic details (like rate of fire etc) they are pretty similar, for game purposes in any case.

what's wrong with the vanilla one?