Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

bobtom using the latest beta i still get crash when I set grass detail to very low in parameteres if i leave it on indavidual choice its fine all so setting it on low crashes game with same error

internal error:render buffer to small

I did some testing on the last version and found it to be the grass I did post in this thread but I assume you missed it :(

Thanks for the mission any way its great

P.S

BTW I died and upon respawn zombies would not attack me etc even if I stood next to them if I shot at a zed that zombie would then chase me but no others until I all so shot at them

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it next.

Hey bobtom. I don't know if your aware of it, but it seems that when you play on a server with the DZS, The only person who can really find weapons is the Host. Nobody else can see most of the weapons that are in the game, and i don't really know why. It seems to be a problem that has been in the Gamemode for a quite some time now, seeing what i have read on the Internet.

Just thought i'd let you know about it :).

Have a Nice day :D

I've been lurking on this forums purely for this missions thread, for a very long time now and I thought I would make an account.

Nikita

Weapons not showing

The only person who can really find weapons is the Host. Nobody else can see most of the weapons that are in the game, and i don't really know why.

I was having the same issues not very long ago when I delved deeper into modding the game. Make sure anyone joining has the exact same mods that you do, because they will still show up and work for you, but to anyone without the mods, they just will not be there.

I discovered this playing DZS (and some other missions to verify) with my brothers over LAN.

Just make sure that you either turn your mods off, or have the other people get them, so that they can interact with them as well. Because the server is coming from your end (you being host), it assumes it should add this content in, but others wont see any of it.

The same thing happened for me with a modded vehicle. It was kind of funny, because my brother was on a quad bike, and I was following him in a custom bus, and he couldn't see me! But after I gave him the mods, they all worked.

tl;dr? Turn your mods off, or make others get them.

@Bobtom

I absolutely love this mod. I play it more than any other aspect of ArmA2.

I have a few questions, mainly related to zombie speed, and the food and water system, and some features stemming off of those questions. If you could take the time to try to address some of the questions, that would be great :)

- Recently I extracted and attempted to change some parts of your code to make zombies walk (I prefer a play style of many more zombies, but much slower). While I was successful at this (i think..), I think if it were to be added as a customizable parameter, other people could easily enjoy this style too.

- How do you actually interact with barrels of water, and the market stands to get food or water? Often when my brothers and I are playing, we run out, but find these things and can't refill our food or water with them. I have however noticed some sacks often that have canned food in them, but they seem to be rare. A parameter to control the frequency of food and water spawns would be good, because i've only ever come across this sack once. (However, the water barrel almost seems too common?)

Still related to food, how do you actually cook raw meat, so that it becomes edible?

Features I suggested above;

- Parameter to control zombie speed between running and walking (having read the thread over a few times, i notice it gets requested quite a bit)

- Parameter to control food and water spawn

Also, I'm completely new to the way these scripts work and how Arma2 mission making / modding works in general, but after inspecting the scripts, it looks very similar to c#? I have some knowledge in c#, and would be interested in helping to contribute and maintain the mission, however I'm just taking a shot in the dark, because it looks similar to c#, and I have no idea how the mission making works.

Thanks for providing us with this Craig, it has brought many hours of fun to me (probably somewhere close to 30 or 40 of my total 50 hours logged on steam are from this), as im sure it has to many. I hope you continue to work on this and continue to make it better and better with each update.

Cheers,

Bejasc3D.

What version of ArmA are you using?

I should be using the Arma 2 Free version 1.10 and-alot-of-numbers.

- DZS

Also, the 1.3 Beta version doesen't work for me. I can't even start the gamemode. it tells me that i'm missing alot of files

- Bejasc3D

I was having the same issues not very long ago when I delved deeper into modding the game. Make sure anyone joining has the exact same mods that you do, because they will still show up and work for you, but to anyone without the mods, they just will not be there.

I discovered this playing DZS (and some other missions to verify) with my brothers over LAN.

Just make sure that you either turn your mods off, or have the other people get them, so that they can interact with them as well. Because the server is coming from your end (you being host), it assumes it should add this content in, but others wont see any of it.

The same thing happened for me with a modded vehicle. It was kind of funny, because my brother was on a quad bike, and I was following him in a custom bus, and he couldn't see me! But after I gave him the mods, they all worked.

- Thanks alot man :). I'll make sure to try this out

Edited by Nikita
had to add alot of things to avoid multi-posting

@Bejasc3D

Correct, if I am going to make mods dynamic, I will also need to make it so anyone can join the mission with any mod. So problems like this may occur. It's best for everyone to have the same mods on the server. So put it in your server name I suppose.

I could never see slow zombies as being fun, mainly because it would be too easy to kill them. Is it still enjoyable to play with slow zombies? If so, I'll gladly add this as a parameter.

The latest beta version (March 3). Has working barrels and food stands. To cook you need to go to a campfire. This has all worked for me on a lan server by myself, but I've never been able to try on a dedicated or via a non-server environment.

Indeed, it is quite similar to C#, but the commands obviously being very specific to the engine and operations within the gameworld, they take a while to learn and understand.

Thank you for the post, if you would like to help, I would gladly have you on board!

@Nikita

The 1.3 beta is only for the Combined Ops version of Arma 2, sorry. :/

I could never see slow zombies as being fun, mainly because it would be too easy to kill them. Is it still enjoyable to play with slow zombies? If so, I'll gladly add this as a parameter.

In the amount I currently play (10 or 20), slower zombies would not be a challenge at all, no. But with many zombies (50+) It becomes more about evading them, instead of engaging them, because you have to save your ammo.

For me to have the most fun / and equal challenge, personally, I would have slow zombies, (about the speed of the running crouched mode), about 40 or 50 per km (particularly dense in towns), small or tiny weapons spawn, the same for vehicles.

So that your ammo will run out before you can kill all the zombies, you have to still keep on the move, and hunt for new weapons constantly to defend yourself. for me currently, its more a hunt to find a gun I like better.

While it would be easy to kill slower zombies, it would be the number of zombies that you had to worry about. It could allow you to raid a house in the middle of nowhere without having to even kill a zombie or run for your life.

So to specifically answer the question; Yes, I for one think it is (more for me) enjoyable with slow zombies.

I still think a parameter to control the frequency of food and water drops (just like frequency of weapons and vehicles) would be a good idea. Perhaps also adding bottled water and tinned foods to vehicles and drops too, so they can be found in other ways. (interracting with water barrels and food stands is still very confusing to me, and I quite often die of hunger or thirst because I can't figure out how to use them)

I thought I would note I too only play via LAN. A server to play on would make it interesting, with having the potential threat of other players, but i've never come across one.

Sorry for the real lack of structure to this post, its 3am here and I've been struggling to keep my eyes open since 7pm for some reason, so i've really been pushing it.

Edited by Bejasc3D
further clarify a point

@Nikita

The 1.3 beta is only for the Combined Ops version of Arma 2, sorry. :/

Ah sorry to hear that. How come you haven't made it for Arma 2 Free aswell?

@Bejasc3D

The latest beta version (March 3). Has working barrels and food stands. To cook you need to go to a campfire. This has all worked for me on a lan server by myself, but I've never been able to try on a dedicated or via a non-server environment.

ill try this out right now and get back to you

- have yet to survive a run to a campfire. Need a bit more time. :D

Found bugs --

*Chose Medic skin (Was able to heal Zeds)

*Objective to clear town activated ( Never completed it but after a while it congratulated me) * wasnt even close by..

*Food and Drink not working. Unable to interact with food/ barrels (only able to load and move)

* floating vehicles

* Found 249 saw laying on ground in building (read that weapons are only found in vehicles?)

No mods active

default CO + pmc/baf lite

Also to confirm - (Are zeds supposed to stand still until aggro'd?) * I renamed pbo to .takistan and they are walking around now. Most odd.

Edited by Masharra

What version of DZS are you using? And if you are using beta, what version of the beta? (When did you download?). This will help me the most, thanks.

What version of DZS are you using? And if you are using beta, what version of the beta? (When did you download?). This will help me the most, thanks.

This version.

https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/20008/DZS_1.3_Beta_1.30.13.zip

Downloaded yesterday. 3/11/13

I had to stop testing because everyone and their mother kept joining. It was breaking my heart to say "im testing this" and im not fond of putting a password on the server.

(not popular enough for hackers to notice me :D

It seems this is quite popular!

I can never find anyone hosting this. Perhaps we could do something like make a private facebook group, where we can organize events for scheduled plays? That way there's more of a chance of actually finding a server, and people not being 'idiots' on it, if we can outline rules and guidelines and things like that.

Hey ^^.

Sorry for kinda asking this again, though i don't think you saw it on the last page (I don't know, though i'll just post again ((Sorry!) to make sure ^^), but why haven't you made the 1.3 for the Arma 2 Free Edition aswell? Like, i really love playing the DZS, even though we have to start from scratch every time we boot up a server with the gamemode on, and stuff, so we got really disappointed when we found out that you weren't making it for the Free Edition aswell, as that would mean that there wouldn't be anymore updates for the Arma 2 Free DZS (Or at least, that's what i assume). Just curious, that's really all (or well... Maybe i am slightly asking if you could make another update for the Arma 2 Free version of it aswell ^^)

Good day, i have been running a dedicated server "jestservers" for 2 months & found few issues. Arma 2 CO latest version "not beta version" & DZS v1.25.

1: JIP markers for side missions when set to exact location or general location do not show on map.

2: [R3F] artillary & logistics script starts to lag after 45 minutes. Average wait time to see option to tow/lift/move/unload ect. 1~2 minutes. Temp. fix is player logs out/in every 45 minutes.

Never mind on JIP markers. Just try'd fresh download DZS v1.25 and all is good.

Edited by Flat4ej20
update on JIP markers

I found a problem with food/water system. DZS v1.30 beta. DZS has always had issues with vehicles spawning 1/2 under map or in the air. No problem, just shoot vehicles & they return to ground level.

Here is the problem with food/water system:

Food bag's spawn under map where no one can see them, or there is not enough food bag's on map causing you to die of starvation due to unable find food bag's,

Anyhow, thanks for this great random mission.

Edited by Flat4ej20

Okay, thanks. I recently found a command to fix the problem for both vehicles and food bags, so I'll be updating that soon.

I'm really looking forward to an update for this.

I hope the parameters to control zombie speed, and food and water spawn amounts is included.

Food and water should also come included with military bases found in missions.

Maybe a parameter to control how fast food/water drains

Also, I have an idea for a new feature.

Sometimes, playing at night can be annoying. Obviously it also makes a fun challenege. How about a system so if you're near a campfire for example, or a bed (i understand a bed may be too hard to do), and there are no zombies agro'd on you, you have the option to move the game time forward by 6 hours, simulating sleeping. This could allow people to virtually play at any time they want, without having to worry about times they don't like playing.

As an extension to this feature, a tiredness level (just like food/water) could be added, where the value builds up, and must be kept as close to 0 as possible. If it is possible, have this tiredness level effect other gameplay elements, such as camera shake, or even some kind of blurry hud if possible. I don't expect to see this any time soon if you like the idea, or if it's even possible, but I thought I'd suggest it as I'd like to see it.

Anyways, I know you're working a lot on Arma3 version of DZS, but don't forget there are a lot of us who use Arma2 DZS too. I myself in many ways prefer it, and am really looking forward to an update :)

Please keep working on this. I love dynamic zombie sandbox and I think more servers should have it.

I'm really looking forward to an update for this.

Anyways, I know you're working a lot on Arma3 version of DZS, but don't forget there are a lot of us who use Arma2 DZS too. I myself in many ways prefer it, and am really looking forward to an update :)

I ECHO THIS.

Please don't totally leave this, I woudl love to see 1.3 working.

I just wish I could stablize and get the ZEDs to stop walking through my bases and barriers.

Too bad there was not a command you could run that would "fix" as in Set in a permanent state the location of barriers.

i hope you release the 1.30 for arma 2 free and Combined operation

Hey Bobtom,

Love your mod, but was wondering how do I turn off the drink and food?

Would like to play with friends but not a fan of the scavenging for the food.etc

For the beta `1.3

Edited by destroyerofgram

Sorry to necro this thread, but ...

I'm editing the script because I wanna start units as different KINDS of units. I don't know how to script very well, but I've all the files opened up. Sorry again, but how does one change the starting units in this?

I just recently found this and would like to use it to play with my buddies, what version of arma 2 and oa or combined ops is this based off of? so This way i know ether or not i need to downgrade from my currently installed versions, using DayzCommander to check / fix file versions. currently full combined ops package via steam, just set all steam arma 2 fgames to not update. really hoping this forum sections isnt dead yet.