Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

You still can't save, sorry. I do have another method in mind, but I haven't started on it yet.

It's kind of annoying that when we spend several hours collecting supplies/vehicles and creating our base that once the server goes down we lose all of our work.

(First, sorry for my english guys.)

So, what a pleasure to play this mod after a long time on DayZ.

I just rent a dedicated after 4 plays with 8 players while i host on local.

The mod isn't perfect but it's a great new way to fight zombies. A mix between survive and action. Since few weeks, dayz became for me survive and... wait that something happens, try to find something else to do than find food and find a new weapon because you just die again.

With good parameters, you can have a great survival game with your mod, and in same time, actions and fun by objectives and cars.

Here it is my advices and feedbacks from other players and me :

- (server) possibility to change number of hits until death (you can't aim like you want in Arma, because of mouse accel and negative accel, what about fast movement to escape... And there is sometimes lot of zombies... 3 is sometimes really hard !) -> between 1 and 9 ?

- (server) possibility to tweak the number of wounds a bandage heals

- (server) possibility to lose a wound after xx minutes without hits (5 minutes ? and the more you have hits, the longest it is to disappear (you have 1 hit you lose it in 5 minutes, you have 2 hits you looe one in 10 minutes etc...)

- (server) find a middle between "almost none" and "tiny" for cars spawn

- (server) speed up time : more choice ? (midnight to midnight in 2h30 should be great)

- (server) super zombies : mix with normal zombies ? (5/10 %?)

- (server) destruction : possibility to randomly mix this with normal buildings ?

- ingame : less strange scopes on guns ! how can you aim zombies with a x2 nvg or a x4 tws in town ! Specific things like this have to be chosen by players in Crates !

- ingame : weapons with flashlight ? (increase teamplay at night if no nvg)

- ingame : zombies shout a little bit far from the player (especially in the back, there's no steps sounds...)

- ingame : Zombies hurt less cars (how a truck can be stopped by a single crawler, and explode few times after ?)

- EDIT ingame : possibility to revive during a moment after a death !

- EDIT ingame : tweak the guns spawn for having less powerful guns everywhere (in Zargabad, where every buildings is open, you find what you want in 1 minute. Not really cool if you config the game for a more survival thing)

This is what we can say for the moment. I have also few questions :

- What "survivors" is - when activated, don't see what is new ingame ?

- What is the chance to find chopper ? (i try 4 times with "insane" spawn cars, with military class or "based on surroundings", and never find one in any airport. What kind of point are they in debug mode ? (it's not for doing something too easy, just to test and give the best parameters to my server)). I ask this because a random player find a littlebird at balota's airfield one time. Is he a cheater ?

- I never saw a ammo crate in town even if i enabled it in server parameters ? Is this really activated ?

- What is the big red point on debug ? (not the little one who covering the map)

- EDIT i find a scud. I could fire this shit. But how to target something ?

Now, i will do my best to play with a lot of players on the forum i am (near 30/40 active dayz players). Some have already play your mod instead of dayz and were happy to play it (if it can motivate you :) )

I'm completely new to this thread so sorry if some things are already talked about !

ps : oh and for never ending play : isn't it possible to "save" the actual state of the map (where objects are placed, what ammo crates contains etc) before reboot ? I think i saw this in a mod on OFP Operation Flashpoint... Unlike Dayz, it's not a problem if you loose your inventory, because even with low loot you find good weapon to fight with (and that's not make the mod easy ;) ), but base is another thing...

(all testing was done on your last 1.0 testing mission)

bug report :

- when nvg enabled, you don't respawn with it if you die

Edited by Spam_One

when i have survivors on it para drops some soldiers near by, they then sprint to one of the air ports and take off in a cj-100 plane. they will shoot zombies near them but they are kinda stupid and throw grenades allover ussaly killing there team mates,themselves and you if you get too close.

and when it comes to the save feature, are you going to use an SQL database kinda similar to dayz or another method entirely.

i also thought of an interesting idea of adding the basic form of the rifle and then make it possible to find different scopes and attachments for it so you kinda have to build up your wep slowly.

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox V1.0

Note, 1.0 doesn't and will never mean final version for this mission.

Overview

After quite a long time, I finally have 1.0 ready for release. This is the most complete, stable version of the mission that I have. It also most fulfills what I wanted to put into this mission back in Version .75. Many new features have been added and many, many fixes have been made. Also, I have already started work on 1.05 :D

Making the mission more stable was one of the largest goals of 1.0. It still won't last forever on dedi, but it will last longer. Further improvements are in my head and will be added in 1.05.

What's Added?

This is definately the longest changelog to date, and the amount of work I've put into it has been quite staggering. I live quite a busy life, school, work, sports, friends, (pretty active in the party scene too, but don't tell my parents :p) so I can only work on this in what spare time I have.

I have fairly detailed descriptions on dev-heaven of each of the bugs and features if you want to click the links.

Highlights:

• Fixed some lag issues from .95
  • Weapons in buildings, a little like DayZ
  • Local hosts couldn't use the logistic features
  • GPS would put markers on other players
  • Sidemissions never end
  • Weather can be completely random
  • Sidemission markers no longer give the exact location, if chosen

ChangeLog:

Roadmap found at Devheaven

[TABLE=class: list related-issues, width: 1616]

[TR=class: hascontextmenu]

[TD]Bug #30290: Ammobox Sidemission[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30291: Time doesn't sync to JIP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30292: Markers do not update to JIP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30293: Helicopter crash is still bugged[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30307: Refresher.sqf kills off all units that are not players[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30313: Picking up objects (To put in cars)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30352: Sometimes players spawned in a mob of zombies[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30359: Long trains of cars can be made![/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30362: Car/object list doesn't get updated on dedicated sometimes.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #30374: Massive Lag[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #32855: Objects get placed floating[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Bug #35643: Start with no map and no weapons parameter sometimes doesn't work.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #30314: Parameter to choose how many weapons will spawn in side missions. (Ammo cache's)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #30364: Apocalypse Siren on siren poles[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32590: Weapons in buildings[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32628: Parameter to get rid of sidemission markers[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32725: Random Weather Option[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32805: Sidemissions loop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32806: Increase Respawn timer[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32808: More robust player position finder script[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #32809: Make weapon finding script more efficient and with more features.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Feature #36039: Spawn just outside of towns[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Task #30353: Remove GPS -- Allows cheating[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]Task #35603: Expand the "Players start together" parameter[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

DOWNLOADS:

CO version (Flagship version):

Requires patch 1.60 of ArmA 2 Combined Operations. No other mods/addons required, works with ACE to a degree, full ACE integration is on the way (@stk2008)

Download

OA version:

Requires patch 1.60 of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead . No other mods/addons required

Download

A2 version:

Requires patch 1.10 of ArmA 2 or ArmA 2 Free. No other mods/addons required

Download

All 3 Versions in one Goodie Bag:

Download

Thanks to:

SRU team, thanks for the ideas and the testing - http://www.sruclan.net/

Dethorath - Helped a lot with sounds and testing

Tonic - Told me to abandon construction, and made the new Loading screen, he also made the time sync correctly!

VVC team

Loyal players

Everyone who hosts the mission

Celery for making the zombies!! (and ArmA 3 MP)

Notes:

1. A2 version hasn't changed much, but I did add make it so weapons would spawn in vehicles, and a few bugfixes. The CO version is the main one I work on, and A2 lacks a lot of the scripting features of OA and CO, which makes it much harder to port the latest version over to it.

2. If you spawn with a weapon but cannot shoot, just press F.

Edited by bobtom

Okay, there was an error with the 1.0 OA version. It has been updated, and the link remains the same. It has also been updated in the "goodie bag"

The announcement has been made on the ModDB page, and has since then catapulted Dynamic Zombie Sandbox to the #1 position of all mods on ModDB.

Thanks everyone for the support!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/bobtoms-arma2-missions/

This is great and seems to be moving very fast I like it :).

All though I still aint had the time to test the latest version damn it :(

Okay, there was an error with the 1.0 OA version. It has been updated, and the link remains the same. It has also been updated in the "goodie bag"

The announcement has been made on the ModDB page, and has since then catapulted Dynamic Zombie Sandbox to the #1 position of all mods on ModDB.

Thanks everyone for the support!

Sweet! Downloaded, I'm on your TS3 here and there, hop in if you can.

haha.

It seems (I haven't tested the new official release version of 1.0, only the testing one) that military vehicles never ever spawn with vehicles set to "Base on surrounding (All)", even at the airfields. Occasionally we will find a hummer or one of those mounted mg land rover but they will be blown up. Any particular reason for this?

It seems (I haven't tested the new official release version of 1.0, only the testing one) that military vehicles never ever spawn with vehicles set to "Base on surrounding (All)", even at the airfields. Occasionally we will find a hummer or one of those mounted mg land rover but they will be blown up. Any particular reason for this?

Use 1.0.

Weapons spawn inside buildings now,

The goal in the future for the developer is to have more civilized weapons spawning, and military weapons in military areas.

As for vehicles you should really give 1.0 a go.

I was using 1.0, just the testing version (which craig linked a few pages back and said was the final version but just not compiled for vanilla and oa) and still had the same problem.

My biggest problem is zombie spawning :(

I put 1.0 on my dedicated and try a lot of parameters with radius/spawn/zombies per km. But each time, at a moment, there's very very few zombies on map.

For example we just try Zargabad with 50 zombies per km, radius 500, spawn 25m. It was war during half an hour. 40 zombies at my ass. After, less zombies but still a lot, always need to look at your back when you put your head in a crate.

One hour after the beginning, we run stand up in the city, to find stuff to build a base, we saw a zombie every 10 minutes :(

I'm asking what utility a base have if you shoot 5 zombies per hour :(

I don't know why this is happen, but i believe in the good work of Craig !

How do your zombies work here? Do they give up chasing, can you hide from them?

Always got the same problem, zombie spawn, put this random number per km, 500m agro, 25m distance spawn, see not a single zombie since i launch the mission.

This is what we got for a base overrun : the base is ours, but we fight against no zombie :

52aae52902e14d36c12d737614336t.jpg

edit : after having asked to people on server if they had zombies, 2 on 10 say they have "like thousands". Apparently, the scripts is not equal between players :(

Edited by Spam_One

I too hardly ever encounter any zombies, even with zombies per km maxed out. They only seem to spawn at the side missions, but after that no zombies.

Some news : my dedicated is down, i stopped Vilayer host because of SHIT.

We play again with homemade dedicated, and that's what we got now : we have no problem of zombies spawn when we use a dedicated on a pc.

the other problem is : after few times, the fps goes down, a lot. First, i think it was the fault of my homemade dedicated server, but we had saw tonight that if we quit and reconnect, full fps coming back. I'm not sure if it's a server side problem or only a client side ?

Edit : no problem on Utes, objective survive for 30 minutes, no problem from the beginning to the end. A fucking fun !!

Edited by Spam_One

I dono about ya'll, but for me the zombies seem to be a little to psychic for my tastes... Of course the AI in all zombie mods in this game seem to be that way. Still is an awesome mod, thank you for your time into creating this for us bobtom/craig.

I tried playing this mod the other night on the awesome Ovaron island ( http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10839&highlight=OVARON ). I changed the island name to the CO version of this mod by adding "ovaron" at the end, and then I started the game.

When everything loaded up, I was "swimming" in what appears to be the sky. I'm not sure of this though, but since there's a very distant shape far below me, I'm assuming that said shape is the island. There are no ripples of water around me. I restarted the mission several times, and each time, I'm doing the "sky-swim." Any recommendations...?

News from testing :

We want to know if cpu load is the things which fucked up zombies spawns.

I create a dedicated with TA2DST tools, which i give only one core of my i5 2500k, and the 3 others for arma2.

I create on chernarus, zombies spawns are 75m spawn distance, 500m aggro, 30 per km.

I have no problem, i kill 100 zombies in half an hour, everywhere, everytime, they spawn, in wood town fields mountains, during my 6 kilometers trip.

I monitored my cpu, and the only one core attribute to the server, it were most of the time near 100%.

After, when someone join, the server had to managed 2 players. And this is what we got :

to regroup, i have to go 3kms far. I do the half in car, not a single zombie were aggro. when he die, a lot of zombie begin to pop again around me. Until he travel again and then, server get constantly at 100% and give very few zombies, or a lot to one and noone to other.

So i gave 2 cores to the dedicated. We immediatly feel the difference. It was near like the beginning, where i was aggro from a lot of zombies, but for both of us, each on his side (3km between us).

And after, another problem : fps goes down. In less than 5 minutes, we fall at 10 fps. It's like not only the dedicated is surcharged, but also our game engine. We quit, go back on server : full fps.

We stop there because we never know if the server and the game can maintain for a long time, and it's very frustrating.

We prefer to stop and wait for improvements, if it's possible.

The bad thing in this story for me is script, and the way they are managed in this game. The best would be that each client run theirs scripts and just send position to the dedicated, he should been so much lighten.

I understand now why we never had zombies on my dedicated : it was a 15€/mo dedicated, for 15 slots, and the cpu was always at 25%, one full core, and i don't think i had another cores for this price.

But i think not a lot of people can rent a full octocore server to run something smooth for 10 players !

Hope a solution will be found :D

Not much time to play at mo, but just hosted it on Lingor - awesome :)

Put 600m of view distance instead of 1km like I do before resolve the zombies spawns. We play at 5 on chernarus tonight, it was very fun with 400m aggro, 30 per km, 75m spawn, few weapons and vehicules, a good action-survival.

There's still a big problem, fps issue for everyone and we don't know why. It's like there's a a looped script who failed and busy the game. It's coming after moving a lot, maybe it's a cleaning script or what, especially tonight it happens after a 10km trip to an objective. It's sad, we all dead after this trip because we can't aim :(

But it was fun :D

Hey guys,

I'm still working on this of course. With the help of [TAW] Tonic, we made it so zombies stop walking through barriers placed by clients. (We send the position placed by the player to the server and the server replaces the objects, so the server's zombies can see the objects)

Also I've started work on a completely new spawning system, not at all like the one Celery has in place. It may fix a lot of performance issues of all past versions. I'm testing on the official dedicated now.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Err scratch that, defcon server's "Update to 1.62" is broke, for now.

Any plans to allow players to clear cities? Kill enough zombie to stop them respawning inside a certain city or zone.