Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

For some reason I cannot even get past the "Loading mission components" on the new test version on chernarus, will try it on takistan then zargabad if takistan does not work for me either.

Hmm neither of those 3 seem to work for me. (Only tried spawn with other players as spawn option if that matters)

Edited by ErikPutz

Sorry, there was a script mixup, it has been fixed so now the loading screen should work.

http://bit.ly/DZStesting

I'm updating the roadmap now.

Edited by bobtom

Cant get this one to work craig.

running on server but when I try to join sticks on 'Loading Server Components' screen

Any ideas?

Have you tried the updated link above?

Yes thats the one I uploaded.

It seams that if I start as Admin and change any parameters the game sticks on splash screen (loading objects).

If i then disconnect I can log in but not as admin.

Not sure if its a problem with admin slot or changing parameters tho.

Its playing now, but getting laggy again, moonwalking zeds etc.

..and tonight is the first time I have seen a zed get throughh the barriers at the AI base mission - usually thats pretty solid.

I tried the newest one, hosted it as a listened server and it worked fine for me.

First I play it by myself for a while, no lag (even on chernarus) then a guy joins and I soon suspect him of using lost key with valid reasons, then the game lags soon after.

He leaves, I restart and lag is gone, then another guy joins and we play for a while without any lag at all.

I've experienced lag in previous versions (v90 and 95) when ppl join and use lost key. Not sure if its just coincidence or if it actually causes lag.

Tho I like the new update, its really nice.

I'd like to suggest that you add a option for the "spawn with weapons" parameter which could be called "Survival" or something, where you spawn with absolutely nothing (since you dont have a hunger / water system, but later if you add those you can spawn with a tiny amount food and water) except for bandages ofc.

Then add the different tools (map, compass, watch, radio, binocular, NVGs etc) to spawn in buildings where map, compass and watch is somewhat common and binocular and nvgs are a bit rare.

Also idk how the "spawn weapons in buildings" script work in theory, but unless it has a chance of spawning weapons (and in the future other items hopefully) in ANY building, I would love if you made it do that.

Like in the deerstands, the small outdoor toilets, the sheds etc.

http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html <-- I know its for dayz, but might help with the names of the buildings and give some inspiration to what buildings to add weapons to (unless it actually have all buildings included ofc)

Great post ErikPutz

I to would like to start with nothing and have to gather all resources even more so when all the ACE2 gear is added.

As for hunger I would 100% support this that would be a great feature.

I know we have this with dayz but I love this missiona and I prefer the speed the zombies move in this version.

I all so like the fact I can host this on my dedicated server and play with my freinds.

Thanks, well he already stated that hunger and water will be added in a future update if added at all, which is what I was refering to.

Didnt mean for that to be added asap, just some tips for the future ^^

Although the spawn with nothing and have to find everything yourself (Map, compass, gps (that does not show other ppls location), watch etc) was meant for this or some near future version.

And the "more buildings avavible to spawn weapons in" was meant for v1.0. Tho as I said in that post, idk if it already works for all buildings.

Anyone ever found anything in deerstands? The few ones I've looked in didnt have any weapons.

Also Craig, do you plan on making the weapons in buildings more advanced? So that the weapon type differs based on surroundings (like the vehicle spawn).

Imo the most important feature right now (after bugs and glitches ofc) would be some flatfile save system that saves player location, health (how many times you've been hit), bandage count, all items. (idk if there need to be anything more).

Then perhaps for vehicles and their loadout / gear, the first time you run / initialize the map all vehicles spawned that time would be written to another flatfile database (so that if you are not pleased with the vehicles remove the vehicle database and rehost the mission) and only those vehicles would be avavible forever (but if they broke they would respawn).

Which means, if you also saved locations on all the logistics that has been placed by a player (or just all logistics overall) ppl could put up bases with vehicles and it would save just like that.

Tho I would be happy if only character inventory saved (all items and bandage count). Does not even have to be position or health for me to be happy.

I'll just remake this whole post.

Both on listened and dedicated server players get "gear, move object and load into vehicle" if they scroll where a weapon would be. (Except for host on listened, they can actually see the weapons and pick them up, but normal players cannot)

This is for both the newest test version and the older test version. (where you added global to the weapons in buildings)

Edited by ErikPutz

So i have tried everything i can think of to get a listen server working that i host on v0.95 CO not sure if everyone/anyone remembers (unable to move objects etc as host only) i asked if this problem was occuring for anyone else? i did notice a few ppl talking about it on other sites like MODDB. Has this been fixed or is it not common enough to be a real problem. Oh yeh and 1 more thing i have tried joining V1 testing on a few servers that have popped up and i seem to get stuck on the loading screen "ErikPutz"-- just joined urs as Turnbull i can hear things moving yet can only see loading screen?

Thanks for all previous replys to this issue.

I tried the newest one, hosted it as a listened server and it worked fine for me.

First I play it by myself for a while, no lag (even on chernarus) then a guy joins and I soon suspect him of using lost key with valid reasons, then the game lags soon after.

He leaves, I restart and lag is gone, then another guy joins and we play for a while without any lag at all.

I've experienced lag in previous versions (v90 and 95) when ppl join and use lost key. Not sure if its just coincidence or if it actually causes lag.

Tho I like the new update, its really nice.

I'd like to suggest that you add a option for the "spawn with weapons" parameter which could be called "Survival" or something, where you spawn with absolutely nothing (since you dont have a hunger / water system, but later if you add those you can spawn with a tiny amount food and water) except for bandages ofc.

Then add the different tools (map, compass, watch, radio, binocular, NVGs etc) to spawn in buildings where map, compass and watch is somewhat common and binocular and nvgs are a bit rare.

Also idk how the "spawn weapons in buildings" script work in theory, but unless it has a chance of spawning weapons (and in the future other items hopefully) in ANY building, I would love if you made it do that.

Like in the deerstands, the small outdoor toilets, the sheds etc.

http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html <-- I know its for dayz, but might help with the names of the buildings and give some inspiration to what buildings to add weapons to (unless it actually have all buildings included ofc)

I'm not sure why you are getting lag, I've reverted the zombies back to the .90 zombies, but still made it that they kept spawning forever, at least forever while players are nearby.

Survival mode sounds cool. Right now you can almost set it up in the parameters, but you don't find maps and stuff in buildings yet.

Weapons have a chance of spawning in absolutely any building that has predefined positions. Deer stands are included in that. They don't, however spawn better weapons within them like in DayZ. I can add item spawning functionality, yes. I don't need the names, the script finds them on its own. :)

Great post ErikPutz

I to would like to start with nothing and have to gather all resources even more so when all the ACE2 gear is added.

As for hunger I would 100% support this that would be a great feature.

I know we have this with dayz but I love this missiona and I prefer the speed the zombies move in this version.

I all so like the fact I can host this on my dedicated server and play with my freinds.

I have not started with ACE yet, I will as soon as this version is stable enough, though.

Maybe tonic will let me use his hunger system in wasteland? That would be an easy solution.

Thanks, well he already stated that hunger and water will be added in a future update if added at all, which is what I was refering to.

Didnt mean for that to be added asap, just some tips for the future ^^

Although the spawn with nothing and have to find everything yourself (Map, compass, gps (that does not show other ppls location), watch etc) was meant for this or some near future version.

And the "more buildings avavible to spawn weapons in" was meant for v1.0. Tho as I said in that post, idk if it already works for all buildings.

Anyone ever found anything in deerstands? The few ones I've looked in didnt have any weapons.

Also Craig, do you plan on making the weapons in buildings more advanced? So that the weapon type differs based on surroundings (like the vehicle spawn).

Imo the most important feature right now (after bugs and glitches ofc) would be some flatfile save system that saves player location, health (how many times you've been hit), bandage count, all items. (idk if there need to be anything more).

Then perhaps for vehicles and their loadout / gear, the first time you run / initialize the map all vehicles spawned that time would be written to another flatfile database (so that if you are not pleased with the vehicles remove the vehicle database and rehost the mission) and only those vehicles would be avavible forever (but if they broke they would respawn).

Which means, if you also saved locations on all the logistics that has been placed by a player (or just all logistics overall) ppl could put up bases with vehicles and it would save just like that.

Tho I would be happy if only character inventory saved (all items and bandage count). Does not even have to be position or health for me to be happy.

This saving thing is an excellent idea. I can give the admin the option to save the game and load it again. Ill see what I can do.

Weapons differing by surroundings could be added right now only the quantity is different depending on surroundings. Can you make a dev heaven ticket so I don't forget? I'm on vacation right now.

So, when's 1.0 coming?

Hopefully soon. But this needs to be as stable as possible.

I'll just remake this whole post.

Both on listened and dedicated server players get "gear, move object and load into vehicle" if they scroll where a weapon would be. (Except for host on listened, they can actually see the weapons and pick them up, but normal players cannot)

This is for both the newest test version and the older test version. (where you added global to the weapons in buildings)

Oh, the logistics see the weaponholders as objects. There is probably a way to get rid of that.

Also, some players can't see the weapons inside? Does this always happen? Did it just start? I can't see how this is possible. Internet lag maybe? Maybe reducing the number of weapons to enterable buildings only will help. Ugh.

Wow this is shaping up really well.

You got me all excited now :)

Thanks for keeping it going you have my support though I have not been able to test the yestaredays release :( family meh :P

Hmm I still think zombies are causing the lag cus we played 5 - 8 ppl on my server earlier without lag on chernarus, then later I played with 1 guy and as soon as he entered chernogorsk (with 10 per km) it lagged, when he exited chernogorsk the lag went away gradually.

Yea, tho military guys still spawn with weapons sometimes even tho I put "Spawn with weapons" to off.

Hmm okay, I think you should change so the quantity is the same everywhere and just make it based on surroundings since maybe this is why I dont find weapons in certain buildings?

I dont think ive ever found any weapons in markets, deerstands, factories, small sheds etc. Hope this will change in the future :D

For the hunger system from wasteland, yes I like that system. Tho maybe food stands should have unlimited supply of food? Or some kind of respawnable food source.

Unless you manage some kind of save system, because then we can just restart when ever there is no more food on the map.

I'm happy you like the save system, I hope you work something out ;)

About the weapon holders as logistics, I kinda like that cus now you can pile up loads of weapons within 1 weapon holder and move that around (Works like ammo cache but unlimited storage it seems like tho the pile grow the more weapons you put within it :D) so please try to keep that.

And yes, on listened servers only the host can see the weapons in the weapon holders. Other players cannot see the weapons inside of them, its just an empty holder that you can move around and store items in.

But if the host pick up the weapon, then place it on the ground other players can see it as well and even pick it up.

Yes it happens each time I host, no matter how many players or restarts. It started to happen on the latest test version.

I tried both listened and dedicated servers, as I said above on listened I could see and pick up the weapons when other players could not, but on dedicated not even I could see or pick them up (I hosted the dedicated server on the same computer I play on)

So yea it's really strange.. If I remember correctly, the weapons in buildings worked for all players on the earlier test version where you changed addWeaponCargo to addWeaponCargoGlobal.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6891307/Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox1.0testing.chernarus.rar <-- link for the one it should work on, although thats the one we got major fps drops on that would not go away.

Tried v1.0 testing on Listen server to see if i could host and move objects, and not sure what you have changed? however good news on that is it works i can now move objects.

thanks

Another version of the testing version is out. If everything is okay with this, it will be 1.0 final. I've made some safeguards that will make sure that you no longer spawn with a map with the map parameter off. Or spawn with a weapon when you shouldn't, etc. It also adds some things in the code to make debug easier if problems do occur.

Please test and enjoy. The next version will be almost completely new features, and I already have a few half done.

File size is also decreased by about a MB. (A large, unnessessary sound file, gone)

http://bit.ly/DZStesting

Craig

Hello, I recently purchased a dedicated server to try and run this mission as well as some Co-op missions I wanted to play with friends.

However, I'm having an issue when I go to vote for the Dynamic map. After the countdown has been initiated and it gets to 0, the game just sits there. Am I not waiting long enough or is there a hangup?

I ran this on a local dedicated server and found it to work out just great. Has anyone had this issue with getting the map to start?

Thanks Craig - running on our dedicated server now :)

Ohhh nice this is getting some real attention and a fair few updates now cant wait to test thanks matey :)

Hello, I recently purchased a dedicated server to try and run this mission as well as some Co-op missions I wanted to play with friends.

However, I'm having an issue when I go to vote for the Dynamic map. After the countdown has been initiated and it gets to 0, the game just sits there. Am I not waiting long enough or is there a hangup?

I ran this on a local dedicated server and found it to work out just great. Has anyone had this issue with getting the map to start?

Disregard this. I'm a complete idiot.

Nice! I'll try to put up a dedicated local again, otherwise I guess I will have to host it listened and deal with the "hackers" <_<

Ok so far everything works fine on the dedicated, now to see if I can find weapons etc in buildings =D

Bad news.

Had to change the name of the file to Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox.Chernarus.pbo for it to work since the . in 1.0 in the current filename makes it change filename somehow.

Even if I used the changed filename in my server.cfg it wont load the mission. Tho when I switched it to Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox.Chernarus.pbo it worked fine, except for afaik no zombies and still having the same problems with weapons in buildings (empty weapon holder that you can move and load into vehicles and the "gear" of the weapon holder is empty)

Edited by ErikPutz

Nice! I'll try to put up a dedicated local again, otherwise I guess I will have to host it listened and deal with the "hackers" <_<

Ok so far everything works fine on the dedicated, now to see if I can find weapons etc in buildings =D

Bad news.

Had to change the name of the file to Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox.Chernarus.pbo for it to work since the . in 1.0 in the current filename makes it change filename somehow.

Even if I used the changed filename in my server.cfg it wont load the mission. Tho when I switched it to Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox.Chernarus.pbo it worked fine, except for afaik no zombies and still having the same problems with weapons in buildings (empty weapon holder that you can move and load into vehicles and the "gear" of the weapon holder is empty)

The file hasn't changed in this testing version, it is exactly the same as all past versions, so I don't know why it's causing issues this time? The filepath must be exactly the same or else the dropbox link wouldn't work, so it is the same. Anyone else have this issue? I'm confused... I did create the .pbo with eliteness from a different computer instead of my home computer with cpbo, but I don't think that would cause any issues? I can't do anything about it until I get back from vacation anyway, which is in a few days.

I haven't done anything about that problem, I still don't know why it is happening.

But about the zombies not working, just send me your .rpt file, I think I may know why that is happening now.

Edited by bobtom

Hmm idk either, I just redownloaded it and open the .rar file and the filename of the .pbo is Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox1.0testing.chernarus.pbo haha :P

Ah ok, tho it DID work in the earlier test version, cus I remember my friend finding weapons in barracks. (Might have been on listened server, and idk if weapons in buildings work on listened on the latest one since I only tried dedicated)

Perhaps you should try to create the weapon holders differently? idk how you are creating them currently

Like in the editor I used Modules -> Functions for weapon holders (tho idk if only the host can see those or if everyone can)

Where do I find the .rpt file? and what does it contain?

Edited by ErikPutz

Umm. How have you played this game this long w/o knowing about the report file (.rpt)? :D

For a dedicated it should be located in the location listed here for your respective operating system: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/RPT

For a dedicated it will be called arma2oaserver.rpt

It contains a bunch of debug info that is dumped to the file throughout the mission, I added my own via the diag_log command, and I would like to see if I can find why zombies don't spawn for some people.