Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

Dialog is just for aesthetic purposes. You only need to get 3k away from the starting point, direction doesn't matter. The task is probably broken, and I'm looking into it today. It might be done away with altogether when I add sidemissions for the next version.

Everyone's heli task location is different, as the exact position of the helicopter isn't told, it is within 500 of the task marker.

Which is why it says: "There is a chopper somewhere around the location given to you. Find it and get out of the count" at mission start.

Hope this clarifies things. :D

Also, all tasks now have the option to be random:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27563

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

And one more question:

can there be a option for players spawn together? When players are little in a task, they can do coop more easily instead of being killed one by one.

'

Sure. If you wanna know when its done:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27896

Dialog is just for aesthetic purposes. You only need to get 3k away from the starting point, direction doesn't matter. The task is probably broken, and I'm looking into it today. It might be done away with altogether when I add sidemissions for the next version.

Everyone's heli task location is different, as the exact position of the helicopter isn't told, it is within 500 of the task marker.

Which is why it says: "There is a chopper somewhere around the location given to you. Find it and get out of the count" at mission start.

Hope this clarifies things. :D

Also, all tasks now have the option to be random:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27563

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

'

Sure. If you wanna know when its done:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27896

Thanks for answering.:bounce3:

If anyone has any ideas for side missions, please tell! :D

I've got some on my mind, but I'd like you guys to choose.

Thanks

-Craig

PS added ammo caches today

greets Craig.

I guess you're a bit of a celebrity... you jumped into a server today and everyone got giddy. Thanks for the mod - its a blast.

And since you asked about improvements, suggestions, and missions...

1) I have been struggling to script Fuel Cans to make fuel and vehicles more valuable. Idea is this:

a) Fuel Cans found in the Zombified world, carried by a player in inventory taking up six slots and provide 5 bars of fuel when put into a vehicle through a menu choice of 'refuel vehicle'. Maybe loaded in a vehicle taking up same number of slots.

b) empty Fuel Cans can be filled up at Fuel Stations and Fuel Trucks automatically, or from siphoned vehicles through a menu tag of 'siphon fuel' when player is within 1m from a vehicle that has fuel, and removes the amount of fuel available but only up to 5 bars - if vehicle has no fuel then no fuels gets siphoned.

c) empty barrels may be filled with fuel, or fuel barrels may be found in trucks or at military bases, police stations, factories, refinerys, airfields, and ports.

2) Generators power up lights in a nearby structure.

a) find and load a generator

b) move it to a building that has an electrical panel on it

c) pour fuel into it, and lights come on in building as well as any light attached to/on the building (flood and spot lights)

d) generator needs 1 fuel can of fuel per 30 game minutes, 300 minutes with a 42 gal barrel of fuel within 10m or have a fuel truck to refuel, or have unlimited fuel if placed within 10m of a fuel station.

3) build/unbuild spot lights, move spotlights

a) take the two headlamps and wiring from a vehicle, the vehicle would no longer be able to have lights - takes up three slots in inventory

b) get a pole from a junk pile, takes up 3 slots from inventory

c) move to location that has power, by generator or streetlamp

d) menu choice of 'build spotlight', and builds a spotlight

e) alternatively, game spotlights on the map can be picked up and moved by using menu 'unbuild spotlight

4) anti-personel mines and trip grenades

a) demolitions set up a boobytrap or minefield

b) use frag grenades or mines, or modify a grenade launcher round

c) emplace by menu 'set boobytrap'

d) allow recovery of mines and grenades by menu 'recover boobytrap'; modified grenade launcher rounds cannot be recovered, only destroyed.

5) allow the setting up of impromptu 'barriers'

a) drag items such as boxes, benches, tables and chairs and put them in front of doors/entry points.

b) allow engineers or farmers to create a barb wire fence or place concertina wire

6) Designated Valuable Locations

a) set military equipment to random spawn at military bases

b) designate a large building as a police station in a city (not village) that has access to indoors as having an armory with ammo and weapons boxes

c)have an armory at military base

7) Activate Raiders

a) Random spawn of raider enemie groups 3 to 8 that are competing with players for resources. Raiders will attack or snipe, attempt to capture vehicles and empty them of goods, and strip dead players of inventory.

b) Raiders may have a base they operate out of, maybe one group scavenges while another defends. They may have supplies, vehicles, and/or a prisoner for the taking. Raiders also kill zombies, and maybe two different raiding groups may fight eachother. Raiders may be from any faction, for instance, a Russian BMP with driver/codriver and four soldiers or six civilians or a US Army SF team gone rouge.

c) raiders would set up road blocks of cars on sertain main roads and ambush, plant mines and boobytraps, and generally heighten the sense of danger.

8) random horde spawns

when more than three players are within 75m of eachother for longer than a random amout of time (5 to 15 minutes) a horde of zombies (one group of 5 to 15 zombies per player) spawn randmly in different areas at 500 meters and begin to hunt the players down; when one player dies or gets farther than than 500m, the zombies abandon them and pick any player ithin 500m, otherwise the zombie group is removed from the map. Good used in conjuction with 'bases'.

9) Zombie Cap and village/city clearance

Have a set cap of the number of zombies, say 5000 for takistan or 10,000 for Chenarus, or whatever selected by Host. As a zombie is killed, it reduces the number. When number reaches zero, no more zombie spawns. When all zombies killed, a win.

As cities and villages are 'cleared' no more zombies spawn there, but zombies spawning elsewhere may move into the town. All villages and towns cleared, a win.

10) Restricted communications. Only if someone is nearby direct communicate with them; on the radio allow group chat only. Radios are in military vehicles, at a base, or are possesed by players. Could be an ongoing mission - find radios for everyone, start scavenging military vehicles, dead soldiers, and military bases.

Missions:

1) establish a base

any player may pick a spot on the map that has no zombies within 100m and declare it through a menu choice as a 'base'. At a set or random time (game hours later) either helicopters arrive, or if at an airport a transport plane, or if at a port a boat arrives to evacuate all survivors. Bases may be restricted at one base per map, or one base per faction (blue, red, green) or be one for any player. Base is removed when player who sets it up dies. A base when spawned is simply a table with a radio on it, and can be spawned in, on any floor, or on top of a building.

2) random radio calls

someone trapped in a building with zombies outside it, random time 5 to 15 minutes to rescue. If successful, an ai is available to bring back to your 'base' that may heal players, fix vehicles, or be assigned to man fixed gun positions, or act as moble local security based on their role. They stay at the 'base' only, and await future rescue. Maybe in conjuction with a base it can be a goal for the players to rescue the most amount of people. Must be standing next to a radio to get the call, or be in a military vehicle that has a radio.

3) Information found on a dead body tells of a cache of weapons/fuel/food/radio/unique vehicle/boat/helicopter/United Nations Medical Camp/Military Camp/whatever. It may be shared openly or the player may hold the information.

4) A player finds a transport helicopter, but it needs parts and/or fuel and a pilot. Parts may be at the other airfield, or another downed helicopter. No pilot or if pilot is dead - mission cannot be completed. Maybe also a special vehicle like a repair vehicle or fuel vehicle has a similar problem.

5) a helicopter or cargo plane is seen crashing - investigate - what is on it that can be scavenged - ammo, food, water, a radio? are there survivors? are they friendly?

6) there is a sniper on the loose, targeting players from a distance. Although he doesn't seem to be a great shot, its harassment. Hunt him down while dodging and killing zombies.

7) Random AI's to be rescued and brought back to base or evac point: Doctor, Mechanic, Soldier, Security, Policeman can do a function within 100m of a designated 'base' while waiting for evac. Other AI can be rescued, but draw food/water/medical demands without providing any services. Points may be given for each AI rescued, or a 'reward' such as a AI assigned to you (doctor/soldier/mechanic) as a permanent base minion, food/water/fuel barrel/generator/medical supplies, fixed weapon/ammunition box, intelligence of the location of a special vehicle or cache, or whatever.

The Concepts of Food and Water

The food an water concept I saw in a zombie game was a bit demanding. It possibly would be better to start a food and water need but based around demands and points. That would be that the player is not penalized for lack of water or food in gameplay - he doesn't die - but he gets points off his score if he doesn't have food or water charged up. When 'full' it takes a game hour to get to zero,and at zero he loses one point a minute for each status of food or water - maybe he also loses 1% of his original speed for each, also. He must 'recharge' by eating/drinking equivelent to his percentage loss. (If he's at 50% water he needs 50 water points). A well or pool of water would provide unlimited water, a 42 gallon water barrel would have 420 water points, a crate of food 500 food points, a bag of food 160 points, a can of food or MRE 10 food points, a rabbit or chicken 10 food points, a goat 50 and a cow 500.

Since food and water is now a diminishing resource, people might compete to get it, and may start hunting or defending a water source. Start a cannibal mod and have people be worth 100 food points...

If so, allow trucks to load barrels of water and crate of food, maybe pick up trucks and some larger four wheel drives, taking up 27 slots for a crate (cube 3x3x3), 16 for a bag of food, or 42 slots for a barrel of water or fuel. Using the load command used for ammo crates.

Since you already have a spawn of vehicles associated with buildings, you can probably associate food, water, and fuel spawns with certain buildings, maybe even inside.

Might also be able to make the same system to create a demand in medical supplies and bandages, spawn random field hospitals or assign a big building in a city as a hospital and players raid it for individual supplies or crates of medical items.

The Concept of scavenging and repair

Damaged vehicles and radios may require repair beyond common engineer fixing. They may need parts sceavenged from other vehicles. For instance, a hummv loses a tire, and has no spare. You have to get another tire from another hummv, or maybe there might be one lying around at a military base. Same for truck tires and vehicle tires. You locate the tire, maybe off the same kind of vehicle or a military base or a gas station, load it into another truck or pick up truck, bring it to the damaged vehicle, and menu selection says 'fix tire'; same to 'remove tire' for scavanging. Maybe electonic components are needed to fix a radio - scavenge for radio parts.

The things I like are the settings you have for number of vehicles, amount of spawn stuff, etc. The only thing I might suggest is an option to spawn more than 100 zeds per km - i know the demand on systems might be a drag if they sawn and remain, but I saw a somewhere an idea that zombies not within a certain distance from the player are removed from the map, lowering processing requirements. For all I know you might do this already, I dunno.

Most finally, you are a talented guy, and have done up a unique and favorite mod to many. Even if you didn't do any changes, this mod remains addictive.

Thanks.

whiskey

... and if you need help, I'll do what I can - I'm a smart guy but still learning this scripting for Arma 2.

Edited by mawendt

No clue if its bugged or not, but everytime i set the parameters for zombies to spawn in towns only, it doesnt matter how many zombies i set it to there wont be any zombies throughout any of the towns.

No clue if its bugged or not, but everytime i set the parameters for zombies to spawn in towns only, it doesnt matter how many zombies i set it to there wont be any zombies throughout any of the towns.

Yep, a bug, fixed for next version:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27670

greets Craig.

I guess you're a bit of a celebrity... you jumped into a server today and everyone got giddy. Thanks for the mod - its a blast.

....Wall of excellent suggestions....

Thanks.

whiskey

... and if you need help, I'll do what I can - I'm a smart guy but still learning this scripting for Arma 2.

Thanks whiskey, I appreciate it. I would like to try to add as much of those as possible. Some would require addons to work, but plenty wouldn't. There is no way I could have a lot of them ready by Feb 1, .90 release date, but I want to add some of the sidemissions.

I made a ticket:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27935

To keep this all on hand. :)

Bobtom if you're interested I added save game in LAN (It saves the game and you are in the same position with everything: gun/vehicle/bandages/etc.)

You have to modify two files: There are slight differences between them, but I am not sure if they are both needed. Anyway, if you only modify one then it won't work. They are both called zombiesinit.sqf

File One is in: C:...\craigs_scripts folder,

the other is in: C:...\zombie_scripts folder

The lines that need to be modified are:

//Disable saving

enableSaving [true,true];

and

//Leave group

_group=createGroup civilian;

[player] join _group;

For //Leave group, just delete the code underneath it. I hope it helps.

Found somewhere the zombies could not get me

arma2oa2012012516112195.th.png

I survived for about 30 seconds when I got down :D

I'd like to say that this mission is brilliant, and looking to be exactly the kind of thing I've been dying for in a zombie arma experience.

One thing that would be great is if a player who spawns in a random location wouldn't have his map centered on where he is when he opens it. Kind of defeats the purpose of being stranded and having to figure out where you are and where you need to go.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to respawn and ACE compat. in the next release! Keep up the awesome work.

Ohh an ACE compatible version yes please cant wait whats the ETA on the ACE compatible version BTW :)

ACE version will either be released on the 1st of Feb with the rest of the versions (CO, OA, and A2/A2F), or it'll be released very soon after.

Thoroughly enjoyed this mission, looking forward to new features and updates! :)

One piece of criticism - I was surprised at the amount of damage zombies can do to vehicles. The way I see it, vehicles are a form of protection and should last a little longer than just 3-4 hits. Currently, a single zombie can disable and pull the player out of a vehicle in a matter of seconds.

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox .90 Release

Overview

HUGE update! Fourth beta release of my mission. Focus on everything. I fixed quite a few bugs, and not all of them are on the changelog. Respawn, sidemissions, survivors, and more below.

What's fixed?

Stability has been increased, along with efficiency.

Respawn was a big feature, and it works fully. When you die (and you sure will in this version) you respawn at a random town with a random gun, just like when you start.

The ability to start together was a big request, which removes that fear of the beginning, but it's fun anyway, and as an option.

Construction allows you to build your own bases, more money cannot be obtain as of now, but that's for future.

Sidmissions bring longer playability, and unique rewards that can be fought over. Four sidemissions are in right now, and more are on the way. Currently there is: C130 crash, Ammo box drop, Horde infested base that can be captured and used as a safezone, and a horde that spawns at a town and needs to be neutralized

New method of spawning zombies. Towns will spawn more zombies than just the countryside. If you enter Rasman, Feruz, or any other town, chances are you will get swarmed. Makes vehicle finding a risk, and it's quite scary.

Different versions have been added for people with only certain versions of the game. Arma 2 free is supported for everyone who just wants to try it out: http://www.arma2.com/free These versions will work with basic functionality, but more bugs might be present.

ACE version isn't complete yet, but will be released shortly.

ChangeLog:

Roadmap found at Devheaven

Bug #27606: Players did not respawn at the right place.

Bug #27670: Zombies Spawn in Towns = No Zombies

Bug #27871: Chopper Doesn't Spawn

Bug #28021: Ammo Cache Sidemission

Bug #28204: Zombies spawn in the safe zone (introduced .90)

Bug #28205: Start together option spawns people in the air

Bug #28222: Vehicles burning on start (introduced in .90)

Feature #27563: Every paramter should be random

Feature #27564: Respawn

Feature #27872: Enable Saving

Feature #27873: Tweak amount of zombies in country and in towns.

Feature #27874: Enable ACE backpacks

Feature #27896: Players Spawn together.

Feature #27898: SideMissions!

Feature #27899: OA only version

Feature #27900: A2 only version

Feature #27901: A2 free version (if different than just a2)

Feature #27912: Ammo Caches

Feature #27919: Horde Sidemission

Feature #28042: Add M&M's ideas.

Feature #28055: Safe Zone

Feature #28073: Aircraft crash

Feature #28200: Spawn zombies everywhere, but have larger amounts in towns.

Feature #28299: Parameter to disable Sidemissions

Survivors (Spawn at a town and defend their position, WIP)

DOWNLOAD:

Before you download, a little elevator pitch:

Enjoy the mission? Enjoy it more than that $1 (or other currency) cup of coffee? Well, if you feel inclined, I would greatly appreciate any generosity. :)

DONATE!

CO version (Flagship version):

Requires patch 1.60 of ArmA 2 Combined Operations. No other mods/addons required

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox V.90 CO

OA version:

Requires patch 1.60 of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead (NOTE: THIS IS UNTESTED, NO MOD CONFLICTS WILL OCCUR, BUT THE MISSION MAY NOT WORK WELL, please leave feedback :) ). No other mods/addons required

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox V.90 OA

A2 version:

Requires patch 1.10 of ArmA 2 or ArmA 2 Free. No other mods/addons required

Dynamic Zombie Sandbox V.90 A2/A2F

Thanks to:

SRU team, Thanks guys, excellent testers!

VVC team

Beta testers

Loyal players

Everyone who hosted the mission

Celery for making the zombies!!

Edited by bobtom

Awesome!

I donated $3 but accidentally hit the button twice, so enjoy your $6 :p

This is an awesome mission, bobtom. Keep up the great work!

Been having lots of fun.

Here is a screenshot of a bunch of zombies chasing another guy.

opcmm1.jpg

Played for like 3 hours straight with a few other people. Great fun!

There seemed to be some bugs with the side missions. Pretty much upon arriving at the destination of the "clear the base" or "kill the horde" it said success, and weird things happened like civilians spawning and despawning, and zombies too.

Also, when set for everyone to spawn together, it always spawned us in the same place in Chernarus, which was inside a building (not a building with an interior either, literally inside the model and we had to jump out of it) in Novy Sobor. I don't know if it's supposed to be random every time you start the mission, but it kept starting us there every time we played on Chernarus, and all respawns were there too.

I've also had a bug since .85, and I was the only one who was getting it (I was the host) where I would have to click "get out" like 5 times just to get out of a vehicle, and then a few seconds after i was out it would play the "getting out" animation again and i'd be frozen for a few seconds. This didn't happen on other normal missions.

I will finally get around to trying this mission at a small LAN (4 people) this weekend. If it's as good as it sounds I will donate for the cause, and I'll see if I can get the other guys to do the same. :D

The fewer bugs the better, so I guess you have until saturday to fix any "game breakers". No pressure. :p

Edited by MadDogX

Hi, I downloaded it and it doesn't seem to work. I'm playing A2F and when I start, I see the main menue to config the mission, but it's just a flash, and them I'm spawned in a field with around 10-15 Civs, USMC and Russians each.

Awesome!

I donated $3 but accidentally hit the button twice, so enjoy your $6 :p

3$ refund given. :D

This is an awesome mission, bobtom. Keep up the great work!

Been having lots of fun.

Here is a screenshot of a bunch of zombies chasing another guy.

Thanks, and glad your enjoying it!

Played for like 3 hours straight with a few other people. Great fun!

There seemed to be some bugs with the side missions. Pretty much upon arriving at the destination of the "clear the base" or "kill the horde" it said success, and weird things happened like civilians spawning and despawning, and zombies too.

Also, when set for everyone to spawn together, it always spawned us in the same place in Chernarus, which was inside a building (not a building with an interior either, literally inside the model and we had to jump out of it) in Novy Sobor. I don't know if it's supposed to be random every time you start the mission, but it kept starting us there every time we played on Chernarus, and all respawns were there too.

I've also had a bug since .85, and I was the only one who was getting it (I was the host) where I would have to click "get out" like 5 times just to get out of a vehicle, and then a few seconds after i was out it would play the "getting out" animation again and i'd be frozen for a few seconds. This didn't happen on other normal missions.

a) Sidemission bugs are fixed, it was spawning zombies, not civilians, though.

b) It spawns everyone at the Island's Center Position, Takistan's was in a big open area, so I assumed it would be the same for Chernarus, but I shouldn't assume. :) It isn't random in this version, it was a last minute feature, will probably be updated in the future.

c) Never seen this bug. I've played a lot of hours in LAN with other people. Has anyone else experienced it? Maybe its a network thing for you? Not sure. I don't mess with getting out of vehicles at all.

I will finally get around to trying this mission at a small LAN (4 people) this weekend. If it's as good as it sounds I will donate for the cause, and I'll see if I can get the other guys to do the same. :D

The fewer bugs the better, so I guess you have until saturday to fix any "game breakers". No pressure. :p

No bugs == money? Hmm. Well, maybe a .91 version is in order with the above bug fixes in the sidemissions.

Hi, I downloaded it and it doesn't seem to work. I'm playing A2F and when I start, I see the main menue to config the mission, but it's just a flash, and them I'm spawned in a field with around 10-15 Civs, USMC and Russians each.

I couldn't recreate this at first, but then I realized for some reason saving is enabled for A2? Even though in the code it turns it off? Wierd... But I'll see if I can fix it. Just hit restart each time you play and it won't happen, though.

Thanks all, more bug reports the better

-Craig

Edited by bobtom

Donated...now get to work. :D

Edited by Nicholas

Hey, sorry if it's been covered already and I missed it, but what exactly doe the destroy fuel pumps option do? Does it mean fuel stations can be destroyed by players, are all destroyed by default and must be repaired, are all destroyed and cannot be repaired, or just some are destroyed and some aren't?