Sign in to follow this  
igneous01

Russian Flying Fortress

Russian-Flying-Fortresses-6.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this prototype design before??? I find it hard to believe a design like this could even be achieved.

It's a fake man. There is no way that thing can fly and even if it does, if it fires those canons on top... happy fun times for all :)

Edited by Maio
The Santa hat @_@ spoke to me

Looks like a typical WW2 era "awesome but too huge to ever work" design. :)

Looks like a typical WW2 era "awesome but too huge to ever work" design. :)

Yeah it look's like a TB-3 on steroids :)

Guessing at the photo, I would say the average weight would be somewhere around 40 18Wheelers with trailer - 35000 * 40 = 1400000lbs/636363kg

I dont think theres a strip of land in the world long enough to get that airborne :P

^

I know its not a photo, and I also know it was never built, its just a design.

But a design worthy enough to post about and say WTF

This couldn´t work. Even if it fired only one of those canons mid flight it would still rip the plane apart

Even if it fired only one of those canons mid flight it would still rip the plane apart

Even huge cannons don't have the power to tear an airframe apart. Just sayin'

no, but enough to stop the planes inertia, one cannon shot would probably reduce the velocity by half, enough to make the aircraft loose engine power and lift and end up plummeting to the ground :D

no, but enough to stop the planes inertia, one cannon shot would probably reduce the velocity by half, enough to make the aircraft loose engine power and lift and end up plummeting to the ground :D

Not if they turn the cannons around and always fire backwards! Problem solved. :D

Even huge cannons don't have the power to tear an airframe apart. Just sayin'

Trust me they would.

Not if they turn the cannons around and always fire backwards! Problem solved. :D

Been watching "The A-Team" ?

T8W6_0UcQWA

Thats one big silly movie. Just like this plane.

GTA3 much? :D

0EC1VCf5eEY

Even if the airplane could fly and fire the huge cannons, it would have a number of very big disadvantages (literally).

1. Because it’s so big, it would be much easier to hit from the ground.

2. Because it’s so big, it would need a lot of crew members, and if it fell down you would have a lot of dead men, just from one airplane.

3. Because it’s so big, you would need a lot of fuel.

4. Because it’s so big, I don’t see what else it can do apart from being big. :biggrin:

Quantity, not size is the answer :tongue:

Nevertheless it would be cool to have it in ArmA :o

Well the Ekranoplan was a bit more developed:

WlEt0bCeTy8

Maybe in A3 we are going to see somekind of advanced Bavar-2 GEV for Iranian Forces?

qTIoezhRS3g

and somewhere a hidden Zubr Class?

xOkrXimRnSc

:)

Seems like inspired by Dornier Do X flying boat and Junkers G.38 flying wing. 20s and 30s were definitely crazy era in aviation! ;)

NoRailgunner:

As far as I know there is more then one type of ekranoplans, they vary from small ones to big. But it's really not a plane, I'd rather compare them with hovercrafts.

3. Because it’s so big, you would need a lot of fuel.

Larger planes are usually more efficient. This is why they keep making larger and larger airliners. If you can take four times the passengers, you're replacing four smaller aircraft. And, larger aircraft can carry more fuel. I don't think the fuel amount is really at issue.

Larger planes are usually more efficient. This is why they keep making larger and larger airliners. If you can take four times the passengers, you're replacing four smaller aircraft. And, larger aircraft can carry more fuel. I don't think the fuel amount is really at issue.

Hmm good point, I guess you’re right even if you replace the quantity of passengers with bombs (if the airplane is a bomber).

I guess even if I had 50 000 litres and poured it in to this big airplane (How much fuel would this fortress need anyway?), it would still disappear even if I divided it between smaller airplanes. But I would still go for more smaller airplanes then 1 or 2 big ones because I think there is a better chance that more of them will make it to the target and back to base, since this huge airplane would be an easy target scratch_one-s_head.gif

This should be in the addon request thread. ;)

Abs