Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 87305 (1.60 MP build)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[87274] Improved: Airborne airplanes now rendered in larger distances.

[87273] Changed: AI airplane always using lights during landing, taxiing and takeoff.

[87270] Fixed: Lens flares positioned badly when 3D resolution different from 2D resolution.

+ some crashfixes and other fixes

Only airplanes? copter not included?

From what I could tell in the brief test I just did, planes are now visible right up to the edge of your view distance. (Previously they disappeared way beforehand.) :)

The same does not go for choppers though - their visibility is unchanged.

wonder why BIS did it for airplanes alone and not have it done for the helis. well at least this is a good move towards better draw distance for vehicles.

Modding drawdistance should be rather trivial as it should be dependent on featureSize config property.

Nice of course that it gets improved in the original game, but if you want better draw distances for all, you're only a mod away :P

Airplanes is nice, but if you do them, you need to do the Helis too.

What about add this?

class CfgVehicles
{
class All;
class AllVehicles: All
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
class Static: All
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
class Thing: All
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
class Object: All
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
};

And problem solved :p

What about add this?

class CfgVehicles
{
class All;
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
};

x-all-the-things-template.jpg

Guess next Xmasbuild will include "all vehicles now rendered in larger distances incl. Santa Claus's reindeer sleigh" :xmas:

Lets see if BIS can make even snow somehow useable/functional ingame for Snowball DM or ArmaSnowcraft...

Only airplanes? copter not included?

Perhaps including helicopters would leave them exposed when they are hiding behind trees, buildings etc?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

What about add this?

class CfgVehicles
{
class All;
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
{
 featureSize = 1000;
};
};

What about the problem of vehicles being rendered beyond the tree render distance? You can spot enemy bases hidden in the forest that way

Perhaps including helicopters would leave them exposed when they are hiding behind trees, buildings etc?

A likely reason

What about the problem of vehicles being rendered beyond the tree render distance? You can spot enemy bases hidden in the forest that way

Well , i using a Kju's mod which makes Static and all vehicles visible at distance and no problems at all

i using 4km VD , maybe if you have 10km VD that can be a problem

Edited by RobertHammer

I've had a problem with vehicles and buildings visible past trees at 3kms that's why I don't use those configs.

Until Object Draw Distance is finally there it will be a problem. Or at least the draw distance of objects being equal to VD. I don't understand why it isn't so as of now.

Maybe BIS tried to recreate that "effect" of only foggy "forms" of hills visible at long distances where a human eye can no longer tell different objects apart or something.

Edited by metalcraze

Maybe BIS wanted to test it first with Aircraft only?

maybe we need that object distance slider ... before it becomes an exploit :D

good job though.

It is certainly more complex than it looks. Objects are not only influenced by objects max visibility but also depending on scene complexity and density.

Those little fluffy bunnys in Armaverse are still the most evil creatures of any game. Just watched how one of these caused chaos on taxiway just by beeing there. Minute or two later he allowed the AI pilot (A10) to proceed to the runway just to watch him burn because another AI pilot (C130) tried to land at the same time. This little cute looking animal just stood up looked around like a boss and happily hopped away! Somehow I doubt that these rabbits are just another innocent entity. AI dev = :icon_twisted:

Modding drawdistance should be rather trivial as it should be dependent on featureSize config property.

Engine side solution has a performance advantage of doing this for airborne planes only - empty planes or other grounded planes are not affected by this.

The rationale why only planes and not helis that planes are mostly flying higher, and there are less planes in the mission, but in principle the solution can be easily extended for helis as well later.

Engine side solution has a performance advantage of doing this for airborne planes only - empty planes or other grounded planes are not affected by this.

The rationale why only planes and not helis that planes are mostly flying higher, and there are less planes in the mission, but in principle the solution can be easily extended for helis as well later.

Neat.

Perhaps some config properties like featureSize could be implemented? Then it can be tweaked / tested.

Using this Beta tonight. (1.60 87305).

Multiple occurrences on a dedicated server of the following:

Arma_Error.jpg

Many Individuals crashed out with the above error multiple times.

We were running the Sangin map 27 players a reasonable server load.

Arma2oa.rpt reads on all crashing players a single line - ErrorMessage: Internal error: Rendering command buffer to small

Seemed to be unrelated to client machine, some low spec less effected than higher.

This is the first time we have run this Sangin map so may be related to that ?

First time we have hit this error in 3 years.

please update to 87469 and then tell us result, thanks

Using this Beta tonight. (1.60 87305).

Multiple occurrences on a dedicated server of the following:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/uvalax236/Arma%20Crap/Arma_Error.jpg

Many Individuals crashed out with the above error multiple times.

We were running the Sangin map 27 players a reasonable server load.

Arma2oa.rpt reads on all crashing players a single line - ErrorMessage: Internal error: Rendering command buffer to small

Seemed to be unrelated to client machine, some low spec less effected than higher.

This is the first time we have run this Sangin map so may be related to that ?

First time we have hit this error in 3 years.

this might be connected to

Warning: Script not executed, param 'timePeriod' value is to small(0.0001)

in

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/27089

I had a CTD following this Error Rendering command buffer to small yesterday while I was toying around in the Editor. I was calling in MLRS Strikes when this happened.

Will update http://dev-heaven.net/issues/27089 later when I return home. I think that this Error is likely to occur when you have a massive amount of particels in the Air. (Use WaFX Blastcore and JTD Fire and Smoke to make the problem visible)