Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

Terrain Maker Competition 2012

Thanks for the motivation to create my first map! Excellent job putting the rules together.

Good luck to everyone who participates.

i wish there was one for Buildings , enter-able ones :)

you volunteering Badger ? :)

Ummmm ?! :confused:

Is there a hole in the rules?

The compition ends 13 March 2012, judging is not complete until April, you're meant to keep the author secret (for unbiased judging? ) ........ yet you (the author? ) can release it publicly on 13 March 2012 ! :confused:

Somewhat confused.

Is the plan the organisers will release it publicly in March, without the authors details?

Thanks, main post adjusted.

Please note that no more terrains can be submitted.

A big thanks to everyone who takes part of this contest! :)

I do Mondkalb's Terrain Tutorial but during the "Importing the preview satmap" I get "Error loading:"P:\<mapname>\source\ maplegend.png" What is the problem?

I do Mondkalb's Terrain Tutorial but during the "Importing the preview satmap" I get "Error loading:"P:\<mapname>\source\ maplegend.png" What is the problem?

Hello VCG,

Had you checked that in your "layers.cfg" files, the roads correctly leads to your SurfaceMapLegend.png, in the "Legend" class at line 31 ?

I hope this helped you.

VGD

This thread is for the Terrainmakers competition, not for solving any problem with Visitor.

Please take your question to some thread that fits better, or create your own.

And the winners will be announced soon. :)

---------- Post added at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

And the winners are *drumroll*

Best overall Terrain: Zernovo by Jakerod :yay:

Best newcomer: Tarin Kowt, Oruzgan by AusSnipe73 :yay:

Second-bestnewcomer: Walking Dead Island by Gunny1987 :yay:

Thanks to all of them for their participation, now please (fix/finish) your work and release it so we all can benefit from this.

Congratulation guys!

congrats to all :) look forward to the maps

Congratz :bounce3:

Big congratulations! I'm a bit sad that I didn't have time to finish but GOOD JOB!

Yeah congrats to the winners. Nice so you gave us some new toys to play with.

Thanks to all. is it possible to have some more background info like how many entries there have been and so on? Would be highly appreciated from ny side.

cheers

Wow, what a surprise :yay::yay::yay:

I'm very very happy, especially because I did my work in 12 days (this is why it's so unfinished :( )

Is it possible to explain in this thread why I made some choice (some are not choices....are errors :D :D :D ) or I have to open a new one? :D

Edited by Gunny1987

Well done to the winners.

I totally missed this competition was running. Nice initiative by BIS.

The talent in this community never cease to amaze, well done guys!

Thanks to everyone involved with this competiton especially BIS, :

I really wasn't expecting to do this well:D, first map, first forum post too

I hope to get TK released by the end of the year, maybe a beta before then

Until then: Thanks to all and congratulations to the other winners!

is it possible to have some more background info like how many entries there have been and so on?

As judges we've basically approached the terrains we were shown as if they were "anonymous closed betas"... Pretty detailed feedback was provided to the authors themselves but it's entirely up to them to what extent they subsequently decide to publish further public details, or open a discussion thread about their work...

Our overall winner - Jakerod's excellent Zernovo, has already been released... A worthy winner! I strongly suggest you download it and see for yourself just why we were all so impressed!

Winner of the Best Newcomer award was Tarin Kowt... A potentially excellent terrain done in a tightly accurate realworld style... I've been fooling with VBS2 terrains a little recently and this reminded me of one of those military terrains... accurately modelled to a small realworld location, a clean, near-photographic initial satmap - perfect for accurate object placement... Tarin Kowt is a sort of sprawling extended larger-than-Zargabad style town, with some nice surrounding field systems...

One picture shouldn't give away too much..... ;)

TarinKowt.jpg

Neat and detailed work with no technical flaws... an impressive debut from AusSnipe73... we're all hoping to see this one finished!

A couple of minor techie issues aside, Gunny1987's Walking Dead Island impressed us with its rugged sweeping heightmap, with a nice variety of terrain types from mountains through dense forest and open meadows to the river...

WalkingDead.jpg

An "abandoned" style island strongly reminiscent of the classic Kolgujev, and another island we'd like to see finished and released sometime....

Congratulations again to the winners!, and a Big Thanks to Mondkalb & Wolle for dealing with all the organisation of the event!

B

Edited by Bushlurker