Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

[CAMP] Carrier Operations - Duala

I have never really used mando missile before, or a 3rd party jet. I am having some problems with the avionics etc. Is there a manual some where for the F18, eg how you use all those menu commands to do with the Radar warning receiver etc?

For example, on the first mission I was unable to switch to A2A weapons, it would just skip passed them. I'm guessing some thing I was doing wrong. I had a look around for any documents but I can see any.

Hi Seany,

thanks for the feedback I hope you enjoy it.

There are a few issues effecting use of the F/A-18, one of those is the RWR and flare system which is borked at the moment. Meatball is working on a new version which will hopefully fix these issues, but i noticed he is also working on some other projects like the mar_Marines and Fient's diving module.

I guess that is why I recommend using MMA at least for now as is gives you countermeasure options and missile warning. I find it more difficult to use, but that added functionality can be the difference between life and death. Once apon a time in the first few versions of Mar_2MAW all the RWR and flares worked, so hopefully this is not a difficult issue to fix for Meatball.

As far as skipping weapons goes, try switch to manual fire mode. That normally fixes the issue for you.

I hope that works.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips!

I had a bit more of a play around and figured most of it out. Accessing the MMA keys option showed me how to use AA missiles and flares etc (don't need to switch to them at all in the normal Arma way).

Ty again for the help and the nice campaign.

I am not a fly-boy by any means, but I really like this campaign. It took me a while to work out how to use Mando properly (or functionally at least!) but once I did, I have been having great fun.

Here's a few minutes from the second mission to whet people's appetite...

_SM3-hXOP_0

Sorry about showing the script errors, I forgot to turn off -showscripterrors ;-)

Thanks for the feedback and the video Jedra, I will link it on the first post if you don't mind [it normally takes me about 2 hours to figure out how to do it : )]

I am not a fly-boy by any means, but I really like this campaign.

Excellent. This campaign may not appeal to everyone. Particullarly infantry\ground operation oriented players because you need to play through around 7 missions to really hit the infantry missions. That is why I added the NTC mission in the mission 3 slot, to hopefully give non-flyboys some incentive to play on. You could always use [shift]+[Keypad-] [endmission] to progess if any missions are to hard or you can't fly : P

Sorry about showing the script errors, I forgot to turn off -showscripterrors ;-)

Lol, you don't need to be sorry. I think that comes from the Nimitz addon. There are also some other script errors that arise on loading a savegame, but again I don't believe they originate from any of my scripts. If anyone could advise on how to eliminate them I am all ears : )

I would love to know if anyone actually played the last mission [mission13] and found and killed General Gotdafti. I figured this may be a challenge, but no one has mentioned any problems.

Any other improvements or changes, please let me know so I can improve the campaign : )

Thanks again fella's

Rough knight

Edited by Rough Knight

Thanks for the feedback and the video Jedra, I will link it on the first post if you don't mind [it normally takes me about 2 hours to figure out how to do it : )]

No worries. I'll probably do some more along the way if I remember - it's going to take me some time to complete though!

@Rough Knight - I forgot to mention that I found a potential issue the other day when I fell through the deck of the Nimitz walking from the briefing room to the hanger deck. This is a known potential issue with Nimitz, as JDOG states in his manual...

"Again due to game limitations, as well as the massive size of an aircraft carrier in the game, it is possible for “holes†to happen with the geometry of the model, resulting in the possibility of being able to fall through it in some spots. Though I am 99% sure this will not happen with the Nimitz, if it does, simply move or rotate the ship slightly to resolve the issue.".

Not a big issue (although it did kill me!), but worth a mention.

@Rough Knight - I forgot to mention that I found a potential issue the other day when I fell through the deck of the Nimitz walking from the briefing room to the hanger deck. This is a known potential issue with Nimitz, as JDOG states in his manual...

"Again due to game limitations, as well as the massive size of an aircraft carrier in the game, it is possible for “holes†to happen with the geometry of the model, resulting in the possibility of being able to fall through it in some spots. Though I am 99% sure this will not happen with the Nimitz, if it does, simply move or rotate the ship slightly to resolve the issue.".

Not a big issue (although it did kill me!), but worth a mention.

Roger that Jed, I have had the issue a few times but it never repeats enough for me to be able to solve the bug. It happens on my machine maybe 1 in 100 spawns. If you fall through the deck, if you are still alive you should spawn back on the carrier deck via a script that gets activated.

Good luck mate, let me know if it keeps happening : )

Cheers

Is anyone else seeing this error on using the wrong version of Meatball's fighter pilot? I'm using the one that comes from the download requirements on Armaholic?

No, all is fine for me - I got my version from Six Updater. There was a problem with the pilot that Meatball fixed recently so perhaps Armaholic is linking to an old version. I would check the specific thread or use the version from Six Updater (which has the fix).

Hey all, anyone had problems with Mando Missiles on the first mission? I can't see Mando's HUD at all. However, I can play Mando's demo missions with the same target line. I have all the required addons for this campaign in a single addons folder.

Hey all, anyone had problems with Mando Missiles on the first mission? I can't see Mando's HUD at all. However, I can play Mando's demo missions with the same target line. I have all the required addons for this campaign in a single addons folder.

Gday variable, make sure you are using the @mma_XEH addon included with the @mma addon. Otherwise mando will not activate properly.

Is anyone else seeing this error on using the wrong version of Meatball's fighter pilot? I'm using the one that comes from the download requirements on Armaholic?

Use the link from the fist post in this thread. You need the lastest version of F/A-18 but make sure you delete all older versions to save conflicts.

Good luck fellas

Gday variable, make sure you are using the @mma_XEH addon included with the @mma addon. Otherwise mando will not activate properly.

Problem solved! Thank you Rough Knight! :)

Hey!

Its been a while, I've been extremely busy (and still am). Maybe you've already seen this on the hompage of armaholic but I'd thougth I'd bring it to your attention anyway.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133687-EA6B-Prowler-Mod

I thought maybe it would be cool to implement in a future update. I believe they still use these on the Nimitz aircraft carriers for recon and intellengence.

Cheers!

CyclonicTuna

Hey CyclonicTuna, we've missed you around here. What's been happening?

I think the next version of Meatballs Marines may incorporate the frogmen that he and fient are working on. This may be a good solution to mission4 where I can not figure out why targeting the weapons on the enemy frigates is so difficult in the F/A-18. I was thinking of maybe adding a frogman mission to destroy the closest ship to Nimitz then using planes to destroy the other two : )

I have another update in progress with no ETA, I was thinking of adding voices to the briefings although I have terrible voice acting ability, and bad voices could be worse than the text and kbTell option currently being used. I'll have a hunt around for some voice changing software to help my cause. Then again, ARMA3 is out in 6 months so I am not sure if the voices option is really worth the effort at this stage.

Cheers

Rough Knight

Edited by Rough Knight

@Rough Knight - If we were to be allowed to gently push you in one direction then I would say that some new content would be more worthwhile than voice-overs. They are an absolute pain to produce (I have seen that pain) and when they don't work they actually detract from the mission (I have thrown away weeks of voice editing!). If they are done well then they of course add a whole new level of immersion.

Adding some more air assets - perhaps a helo search and rescuse and/or CAS mission - would be an excellent addition, as will the ideas you already have.

@Rough Knight - If we were to be allowed to gently push you in one direction then I would say that some new content would be more worthwhile than voice-overs. They are an absolute pain to produce (I have seen that pain) and when they don't work they actually detract from the mission (I have thrown away weeks of voice editing!). If they are done well then they of course add a whole new level of immersion.

Adding some more air assets - perhaps a helo search and rescuse and/or CAS mission - would be an excellent addition, as will the ideas you already have.

Gday Jedra,

I got home from work today and made a few recordings. You are right, it would take weeks to get it right, as it took about an hour to get two recordings to a place I was happy with. Some of the missions have 30 odd dialogues which would create an incredible amount of work given there are 13 missions and 2 cutscenes. I think I'll forget the voice over part, I underestimated fairly grossly the amount of work it would take.

Hey CyclonicTuna, we've missed you around here. What's been happening?

Cheers

Rough Knight

Haha!! Well just being busy mate. I've had hardly any time to play Arma anymore lately :butbut:. Point is, I'm 18 now, and I'm in my freshman year at collage.

It means half of the time I'm trying not to suck at school subjects, and the other half I'm hungover ;). But! I'm slowly nearing the end of the year, about 6 more weeks. And then I'll have more time to play again. And I'll make another list of feedback for you covering the campaign.

I havn't forgotten about your awsome work!

Greetings,

CyclonicTuna

Haha!! Well just being busy mate. I've had hardly any time to play Arma anymore lately :butbut:. Point is, I'm 18 now, and I'm in my freshman year at collage.

Thats great mate, games should always come behind your livelihood, you need to work and setup your career as a priority! It's always encouraging to hear of young guys doing this because at your age it's easy to become distracted by other things : )

I made a video of the ground operations missions. There is better quality if you go to the youtube link where you can actually read the dialogues to get the jist of whats happening.

* Some missions combine the player being the insertion pilot then switching into the ground troops when the insertion has been successfully completed.

* Some missions have MARSOC special forces team inserted into a player selected destination by an AI controlled insertion chopper.

* Some missions require the use of the USS Nimitz CRRC boat facility where the player drives the inflatable boat to the objective [choose your own insertion point.]

Then of course there are 6 or 7 missions where you fly either an F/A-18 or AH1Z. The first 5 missions are predominantly flying, so I guess thats why I thought a simple showcase video of what is to come if you persevere through the flying or use "endmission" for those who are not aircraft savvy : P

From the first page you may get the impression the campaign is flight orientated only, but this is not the case. Just don't expect to much quality video editing, I didn't have a whole lot of time unfortunately : |

There is a new update underway, nothing major, just some fixes and improvements.

v1.15 Changelog | Release date still TBA

* Added: New cutscene on completion of mission3.

* Changed: added static sound to radio coms.

* CAS support will now inform you which direction relative to the target it is approaching from as well as it's ETA.

* Changed: Mission8, enemy base populated with equipment for more immersion.

* Fixed: Mission 12, added satchels to packpacks if player chooses a stealthy approach to phase 1 of the operation.

* Fixed: All missions, Deck ambience script being initiated twice before player left Nimitz.

Edited by Rough Knight

I have added a new cutscene to mission 3 if you win to tie up the relationship between NATO and the NTC a little better. It is slightly different everytime but here is the rough idea.

This new update v1.15 will come out after I make the nessesary adjustments to the campaign when Meatball0311 releases the upcoming update of @MAR_2MAW which looks real neat : )

Cheers.

First let me say that I am enjoying this campaign very much. I intend to make a walkthrough video of "Operation Sparrow". Start as the Blackhawk pilot, switch to the specop team leader when inserted and get back to play the pilot when all the team is inside - that was just briliant!

I am having trouble completing the second part of this mission (Operation Sparrow con't). I now have to patrol Duala (as an optional objective). I destroyed acouple of tanks, an MG vehicle and maybe some more. The objective isn't ticked and but I can't seem to find any more valid targets (there's a blue Skoda moving around, I suppose it's a civi target). Any help?

Edited by Variable

First let me say that I am enjoying this campaign very much. I intend to make a walkthrough video of "Operation Sparrow". Start as the Blackhawk pilot, switch to the specop team leader when inserted and get back to play the pilot when all the team is inside - that was just briliant!

I am having trouble completing the second part of this mission (Operation Sparrow con't). I now have to patrol Duala (as an optional objective). I destroyed acouple of tanks, an MG vehicle and maybe some more. The objective isn't ticked and but I can't seem to find any more valid targets (there's a blue Skoda moving around, I suppose it's a civi target). Any help?

Thank's for the feedback Variable,

I am glad you are enjoying it. There are a few missions coming up in the campaign that employ a similar principle of teamswitching between different phases of the particular operation. I will have to modify the mission, as that patrol task is a little basic. Basically there should be approximately 6 other enemy targets which you will need to engage in order to pass the mission. Perhaps I should make it an optional objective. (Perhaps use the [Control] + [kp "-"] "endmission" trick if its giving you issues).

Cya round

That's ok, I reverted to have a go with the Little Bird instead of the AH-1Z and after I helped the guys on the hill the patrol objective didn't even come up. So I just returned to my carrier and the mission ended. It's even more fun with the LB!

That's ok, I reverted to have a go with the Little Bird instead of the AH-1Z and after I helped the guys on the hill the patrol objective didn't even come up. So I just returned to my carrier and the mission ended. It's even more fun with the LB!

LOL, that's what I originally thought, but some feedback left indicated the littlebird made the objective too difficult. I then added the option to use the AH1Z added a few more enemies if yo do use it, plus another patrol objective so the mission wasn't pathetically easy : P

Anyway, glad you finished it : )

Cheers

OK so I have the latest (2.1) version of the F/A-18, the latest version of this campaign (1.14) and everything else is up to date, though I don't believe the rest to be relavent to my problem. When trying to load the first mission "Air Superiority" I get this error: "Campaigns\carrieroperations-duala\missions\Mission1.isladuala\mission.sqm/Mission/Groups/Item77/Vehicles/Item0.vehicle: Vehicle class mar_fighter_pilot no longer exists" And I also cannot continue or back out of the error screen despite CO responding according to Task Manager. Anyone have any ideas?