Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

[CAMP] Carrier Operations - Duala

Managed to land correctly in the first mission but i failed im guessing because of the squirrel objective? I completed all the others landed and it said failed? Ive tried the mission 3 times now and i can never see this "squirrel" what is it?

There is a helicopter that flees the airfield once you have begun the attack. There is a marker on the map which shows the direction it is heading roughly.

It won't show up as an enemy vehicle meaning you need to scan for it. On your radar it will show up as a small grey triangle. It does not take it long to get to it's destination so I would advise making this task a priority

I wondered why i couldnt get a lock, cheers!

Had a quick go of the first mission when i got in and completed it, enjoyable overall my only small gripe is i failed once because i killed civilians when i bombed one of the hangars. I think if youre bombing a military airbase then everyone in that base is fair game but again thats not a big problem enjoying it so far.

Had a quick go of the first mission when i got in and completed it, enjoyable overall my only small gripe is i failed once because i killed civilians when i bombed one of the hangars. I think if youre bombing a military airbase then everyone in that base is fair game but again thats not a big problem enjoying it so far.

Hi AVFC,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have added civilian presence to most missions. The main point of this is that I wanted to make the player be careful in his target selection and timing of the bombing\missile attacks. In that particualr mission there is a civilian aircraft at the airbase, perhaps you are right though, maybe it does not belong there.

This is a snippet from an article concerning the way the Libyan army for example reportedly operated.

"NATO must take all feasible precautions to avoid civilian casualties, even in those cases where al-Gaddafi forces are using civilian facilities for military purposes," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui of Amnesty International.

It was one of the main sticking points in the libyan and iraq wars however that Bluefor civilian casualties where a major problem and worked against the colitilition alliance. See this link for more information.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign.

Thanks again .

Rough Knight.

Yes thats a good point, i just assumed it was civilian men because i never noticed the aircraft. That'll teach me for just randomly bombing. Keep up the good work!

Started this campaign today, I really like how it features so many special addons.

What really bugs me is that there seems to be no working countermeasure on the Hornet? Is this great addon really missing that? Though I've read Mando Missile ArmA could add countermeasures by mission editor to any plane. Would be a workaround for now.

After learning all the basics the hard way over the first mission, I would suggest a tutorial mission which guides the player through all the later required tasks involving addon functionalities.

Or at least a note in the readme, what I should learn about the addons before the campaing.

Anyway I'm eager to play this through :)

Started this campaign today, I really like how it features so many special addons.

What really bugs me is that there seems to be no working countermeasure on the Hornet? Is this great addon really missing that? Though I've read Mando Missile ArmA could add countermeasures by mission editor to any plane. Would be a workaround for now.

After learning all the basics the hard way over the first mission, I would suggest a tutorial mission which guides the player through all the later required tasks involving addon functionalities.

Or at least a note in the readme, what I should learn about the addons before the campaing.

Anyway I'm eager to play this through :)

Hi mate,

At this pointat least I would recommend Mando missiles. As mentioned before, the f/a-18 addon creator is aware of the missing countermeasures and will resolve the issue at some point. Just remember because @mma will be standalone, you will also need to run the @mma_xeh addon to make the addon initialize correctly [it's included in the archive of @mma].

I will try add something in the readme for the next update. I think the only thing you need to know how to use is the GPS/INS system of the f/a-18 super hornet, and perhaps the catapult on USS Nimitz. These are both reasonably intuitive and I would expect the player should be able to work it out if they havent come across them before.

Let me know of any other concerns or feedback if you play into the campaign further. I hope you have fun playing it trapper.

Thanks

Rough Knight.

Thanks for suggesting MMA. I wasn't aware that it ships with this mma_xeh config replacement thing.

On the other hand it became the next addon I had to learn on the fly on mission two :p.

I wasn't sure about the loadout: 2 Sidewinders, 4 Mk-82, 4 Mavericks, 12 GBU-39 SDB. Was this still your selection for the mission or something forced by MMA?

The countermeasures came in handy.

The MMA GPS targeting is more easy to use and intuitive as the one of the Hornet.

IIRC the first idea of MMA was to build it into missions scripting/module wise, maybe you could use it directly in your missions and set it up to do only exactly what's missing on the Hornet addon.

Or we just wait for the addon to get better :)

For now I hope the learning curve has ended. To the two points you've mentioned I've to add: Understanding the usage of GPS ammunition / weapon names (more a issue of the addon readme), using Mavericks only via MMA HUD, understanding that MMA would need a special setup for my gamepad, carrier landings (well documented in the addon and luckily pretty forgiving in game.)

Remembering all those keys and playing ArmA2 like a flightsim but without finished addons and a coherent manual, reminded me of playing ArmA2 without patches.

However the missions work perfectly, I don't encounter any bugs.

I wasn't sure about the loadout: 2 Sidewinders, 4 Mk-82, 4 Mavericks, 12 GBU-39 SDB. Was this still your selection for the mission or something forced by MMA?

The countermeasures came in handy.

IIRC the first idea of MMA was to build it into missions scripting/module wise, maybe you could use it directly in your missions and set it up to do only exactly what's missing on the Hornet addon.

Or we just wait for the addon to get better :)

For now I hope the learning curve has ended. To the two points you've mentioned I've to add: Understanding the usage of GPS ammunition / weapon names (more a issue of the addon readme), using Mavericks only via MMA HUD, understanding that MMA would need a special setup for my gamepad, carrier landings (well documented in the addon and luckily pretty forgiving in game.)

Remembering all those keys and playing ArmA2 like a flightsim but without finished addons and a coherent manual, reminded me of playing ArmA2 without patches.

Hi trapper thanks for your feedback, I guess it highlights I didn't put to much thought into users who have not used the addons previously. However I guess it falls into line with one of your other comments about the weapon selection. I chose a load-out that was able to "do the job". As you found out, @mma allows you to choose loadouts so that is indeed an option for the advanced user.

One of the reasons I didn't make mma mandatory was that prior to the new version (v2.0 and upwards) of @Mar_2MAW, the aircraft countermeasures worked perfectly. Therefore I decided at that point to keep mma optional as some users prefer a more simple approach. Luckily mma is very flexible in this regard as it is obviously a very well made addon. The f/a-18 addon will fix the countermeasures I am sure at some point, unfortunately I could not forsee the change in functionality of the addon. It may well change in the future as well so I think I will leave it as is until the new update arrives and then make a decision based on what Meatball decides to implement into the addon.

When I say the countermeasures worked perfectly I guess this was not exactly the case. I had to write a script so that AI wingman would automatically fire flares when being tracked by a missile. This greatly improved their survivabiity. This function is still in operation as the campaign is today, however the f/a-18 addon is prohibiting them from working as it should.

However the missions work perfectly, I don't encounter any bugs.

I am glad about that, I have done hours apon hours of bug testing, not to say there will be no bugs, but there shouldn't be to many major showstoppers.

Edited by Rough Knight

As an update, I have found a bug which makes the wingman practically useless as he can not fire at a target. I thought this was a little strange that he would fly to a target but rarely engage them thinking it may be associated with the beta patches that I use. This has also been resolved for the next version however.

I think I will wait until Meatball releases the next version of his F/A-18 to release the new campaign version as I will have to remove the GPS\INS script that I added as a workaround for the missing f/a-18 functionality. If there are any other wishes or suggestions, now would be a great time to bring them forward.

Blackfox34 has suggested using kbTell, I understand the concern of being able to miss important radio information.

Edit: I have more or less implemented kbTell into mission1.I will PM blackfox to see what he thinks later tonight.

Thanks

Rough Knight.

Edited by Rough Knight

If there are any other wishes or suggestions, now would be a great time to bring them forward.

Just one remark: Can you replace the MARSOC Units with either the BIS Force Recon or some other Addon? The MARSOC just don't look very good. The Campaign itself is topnotch and meatballs F18 and icebrakers duala island are beautiful. The Nimitz is of high quality too. Comparing these with the MARSOC units, they kinda feel out of place.

Very very hard this campaign is soo hard and i try few times to load save game its not compatible it say I need original file Carrier op. idk what else looking good but too hard for me damn !!! ;)

Hi guys,

New version is up.

v1.13 | 19-Mar-12

* Added: Description of task added to overview for each mission in the campaign lobby.

* Added : kbTell used for all mission chat\radio dialogue.

* Fixed: All missions, ambient plane on your wingman's catapult (#1) could be deleted in clear view of player at launch off Nimitz.

* Fixed: All missions, recruited Wingman was unable to fire.

* Fixed: Mission6: Chat dialogue was not initiated.

* Fixed: A few mission animation errors.

* Changed: Mission1, "Hunt the squirrel" secondary objective is now optional.

* Changed: Improvements in final mission.

Any testers and feedback would be welcome as usual. I will probably need to update the campaign again when Meatball updates @MAR-2MAW, which could be shortly for all I know.

Thanks blackfox34 for getting me off my backside to implement kbTell. I think that is the biggest change in the campaign, although many other smaller fixes have been added. There where some changes to mission6 also improving the transition from pilot to marine as well as a CAS fix from memory.

Just one remark: Can you replace the MARSOC Units with either the BIS Force Recon or some other Addon? The MARSOC just don't look very good. The Campaign itself is topnotch and meatballs F18 and icebrakers duala island are beautiful. The Nimitz is of high quality too. Comparing these with the MARSOC units, they kinda feel out of place.

MARSOC will stay at least for the moment, I actually like them as for one, they have the first-aid module auto implemented and also they are afterall Marines which would operate off a Carrier. What other units would you recommend out of interest. A Seal Team 6 addon would be ideal, but I think MARSOC is here to stay. I have not had any complaints from other players as of yet concerning this addon: )

Thanks

Rough Knight.

Edited by Rough Knight

nice mate, kbTell is much more better.

however, there are still the "hint" boxes with the dialogs during the briefing:

could you please remove them?

I'm gonna give a try to this version

Wiki

What other units would you recommend out of interest. A Seal Team 6 addon would be ideal, but I think MARSOC is here to stay. I have not had any complaints from other players as of yet concerning this addon: )

Thanks

As I wrote. Just a remark. Its your campaign and the MARSOC guys are not prevening me from playing it ;)

Regarding your question:

I really like the BIS Force Recon Guys. I know theyre wearing woodland camo, but I saw pictures of Marines in Liberia (I think it was liberia) wearing Woodland camo. But I think Force Recon are not tasked with search and rescue missions. I would guess so, since their name is Force Reconnaisance

There are nice MARSOC Units from Binkowski:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10153

Or the TF86 SEALs:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10001

I dont know if its a problem, that these are not on OA standard.

Hello!

I been having problems with missions were it is ideal to use an CRRC boat. I can't find any in or arround Nimitz. In operation Roundup it says that my men are waiting in the CRRC facility but when I go to them I find nothing but an empty room, what is wrong? Then only way for me to play these missions is to "steal" a helicopter.

Hello!

I been having problems with missions were it is ideal to use an CRRC boat. I can't find any in or arround Nimitz. In operation Roundup it says that my men are waiting in the CRRC facility but when I go to them I find nothing but an empty room, what is wrong? Then only way for me to play these missions is to "steal" a helicopter.

Hi mate,

I havent heard of that problem before, you should be joining your squadmates so follow the icon to their location. I am assuming you are in the wrong room here, do you know what and where the CRRC facility is on USS Nimitz (it's on the lower flight deck near the stairs up to the control tower)?. The AI cant launch the CRRC on their own, so maybe you are using an old version of Nimitz? You got the lastest version from the link on the first post? The CRRC facility was one of jdogs latest additions to Nimitz, so thats my guess at this stage that you have an obsolete version.

Good luck mate, let me know how you go.

Hey!

First i need to say this is the best campaign i ever have played! :)

But i have some problems with some missions. Its the ground missions, the fly missions works great but when i try to load the missions from the menu the game freeze's completely :(

I think i know the problem because in the rpt.file it says:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -mod=@CBA;@Blastcore_Visuals_R1.2;@duala;@mar_2MAW;@mma;@mma_ns;@mma_xeh

Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.mar_inf_marines

Missing addons detected:

mar_inf_marines

I cant find that addon on the site to download. The links you have posted dosent work :(

Sorry for my bad engslish but ask if you dont understand or if you want to know more about my problem.

Im really looking forward on more missions for this campaign in the future :) Really good work!!

Hey!

First i need to say this is the best campaign i ever have played! :)

But i have some problems with some missions. Its the ground missions, the fly missions works great but when i try to load the missions from the menu the game freeze's completely :(

I think i know the problem because in the rpt.file it says:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2oa.exe" -mod=@CBA;@Blastcore_Visuals_R1.2;@duala;@mar_2MAW;@mma;@mma_ns;@mma_xeh

Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.mar_inf_marines

Missing addons detected:

mar_inf_marines

I cant find that addon on the site to download. The links you have posted dosent work :(

Sorry for my bad engslish but ask if you dont understand or if you want to know more about my problem.

Im really looking forward on more missions for this campaign in the future :) Really good work!!

Thanks for pointing that our draxx, the addon has changed and therefore I will need to update the campaign because the old units are no longer available. I will attempt to do this tonight.

Stay posted and I will get the campaign fixed for you : )

Cheers

Thanks! I had accidently installed an old nimitz so when I got the last one it worked like a charm. Great campaign by the way! A little hard to bomb "non combat" targets but with a little trial and errors I got the hang of it.

Thanks for pointing that our draxx, the addon has changed and therefore I will need to update the campaign because the old units are no longer available. I will attempt to do this tonight.

Stay posted and I will get the campaign fixed for you : )

Cheers

Thanks for understanding:)

I remove all and do a fresh install of all when you have released the new version with new units and so on :) I dont have the patience to mess around and get a half working campaign.

I will check in here every day do see if you have anything posted

Hi,

I have released a new version. Changes support the new @mar_MARSOC units from Meatball0311 and otherwise a few changes just a little more polish.

v1.13 | 19-Mar-12

* Changed: Campaign now uses the latest version of Meatballs MARSOC marines.

* Fixed: Mission9, crewman swiming.

* Fixed: CAS vehicles initiated chat even when dead.

* Improved: all missions briefings and overviews.

Thanks, I hope you enjoy.

Rough Knight

Thanks Miller,

Much appreciated, hopefully many people can enjoy the hard work of the addon makers. I would be scary to count the number of hours gone into building them, let alone the campaign. : |

Cheers.

Edited by Rough Knight

This campaign is great, very professional job. Some excellent addons used too!

I have never really used mando missile before, or a 3rd party jet. I am having some problems with the avionics etc. Is there a manual some where for the F18, eg how you use all those menu commands to do with the Radar warning receiver etc?

For example, on the first mission I was unable to switch to A2A weapons, it would just skip passed them. I'm guessing some thing I was doing wrong. I had a look around for any documents but I can see any.

Anyway, thanks for the campaign and the hard work you have put into it, it has a lot of atmosphere which I know is hard to capture. Kudos!