Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

C&C Generals 2

WHAAaaaa?!

Company Of Heroes. Men Of War AS? Cmon, these are the best of the genre IMO, ever, it's a peak of what You can do with a realistic setting, good engine (good gfx and a great physics engine in case of MoW) and gameplay that is based also on actual tactics, not only on clicks per minute.

Considering that there are no tactics in both MoW and CoH. MoW itself is Gears of War from top down view. Run to a cover, kill everyone you see, run to another cover, kill everyone you see, repeat until the mission is over.

Although because it doesn't happen in an action game where it almost makes me sleep after only 30 minutes here it works for an evening or two until this repetition gets really tiresome.

The only really good part of MoW is the original Soldiers Heroes of WW2 game. Now this one had some tactics and much harder, more stealth based missions.

Never played TA, from the classic RTS'es I liked few C&C (up to RA2) and most epic polish-made RTS game - EARTH 2140! A friggin' king.

E2150 is better. But there's one big problem with E21x0 that plagues most of basebuilding-unitspamming RTS genre - it's the repetition of build a base/spam units.

Edited by metalcraze

Considering that there are no tactics in both MoW and CoH.

Neither games are perfect analogues to reality, but that doesn't mean they don't involve tactics. CoH is a very tactical game, but it is still a game.

Publishers want to make profit + players want to win = accessible, streamlined Rush-To-Simplicity incl. SuperSFX. Win-Win. ;)

Since when are visuals that important in RTS?

Since we are in 2011 an games should look and feel good.

Tiberium SUn was great, but yes NOD Artillery was waaay overpowered, but I really enjoyed to make huuuge craters with them (a feature that todays games don´t have!)

Tiberium Sun? What game is that? I've only heard of Tiberian Sun. :P

The Nod artillery eventually patched so the only thing left to deform terrain was "super weapons".

You couldn't just spam an enemy with a mass of units

Orca Bomber, Disruptor, Cyborg Reaper, Devil's Tongue, Banshee, Hover MLRS and Titan could all be spammed to win...

Generals 2 looks interesting, hopefully it will be moddable as the original Generals has a ton of awesome mods (Contra, Cold War Crisis, Shockwave, Middle East Crisis)

Orca Bomber, Disruptor, Cyborg Reaper, Devil's Tongue, Banshee, Hover MLRS and Titan could all be spammed to win...

Most of which are weak units compared to Mammoth or Sonic Tanks and are dispatched easily enough with a good defense.

What I mean is that f.e. in RA2 Apocalypse Tank can easily destroy tanks, infantry and aerial vehicles, you can just tank rush everything only with them. While in Tiberian Sun a single type of units alone means almost nothing.

Generals 2 looks interesting, hopefully it will be moddable as the original Generals has a ton of awesome mods (Contra, Cold War Crisis, Shockwave, Middle East Crisis)

If people will make awesome mods - who will pay for horse armor DLCs then?

Well you could spam those nasty chinese overlord Tanks in C&C 1, a group of them and you can tankrush everything

Most of which are weak units compared to Mammoth or Sonic Tanks and are dispatched easily enough with a good defense.

You can't build mammoth tanks in Tiberian Sun - The Mammoth Mark 2 has a build limit of 1. Disruptor is the name of the "Sonic Tanks".

Well you could spam those nasty chinese overlord Tanks in C&C 1, a group of them and you can tankrush everything

You mean Generals 1 not C&C1. There were no Chinese on the original Command & Conquer (It was a GDI vs Nod game).

Hi. Look at the link to Spring: 1944 I posted please. It has suppression too. But Spring engine has much more: scripting and physics! I played Company of Heroes for a while but... it's just show for me, sorry. Why the hell you can't zoom out? How can mortar kill running enemy? Why do tanks have fire range max. 40 meters?

besides the unrealism in it (come on, not everything is supposed to be a simulator now is it?) it was a very competitive and fun game to play. I played it for 5 years, automatch 1v1 was the best thing out of that, the fluidity of gameplay was unmatched, axis mg setting up, rifle baiting the mg while the other rifles flank, volks trying to stop the flank, another mg being set up to cover the first one. It was a great dance of maneuvers between skilled competent players and thats what made it so fun. the expansion had promise, except that the british faction was terribly designed. However PE was greatly designed and opened up alot of possibilities for new builds, etc.

Thats what made it a great RTS, not the unreal distances of engagement

You can't build mammoth tanks in Tiberian Sun - The Mammoth Mark 2 has a build limit of 1. Disruptor is the name of the "Sonic Tanks".

You mean Generals 1 not C&C1. There were no Chinese on the original Command & Conquer (It was a GDI vs Nod game).

Of course I mean Generals 1. I should stop posting stuff when I´m tired :o

Yes indeed, calling generals C&C 1 is a great way to get a flogging :P

I wonder if they will be using any ideas to limit units..the cold war crisis mod had a great way of doing it, instead of fighting for power you fought for fuel, the more units you bought the more fuel you consumed and the more advanced they got the more they ate so you couldn't have 50 helicopters or some such.. once the fuel runs out all vehicle units stop dead in their tracks.

That and everything was a rock paper scissors, you could buy a nice pretty apache and send it off to battle only for it to get 1 shot out of the sky by an SA-11, the balance for that is AA needs time to set up and is best facing multiple directions as they turn slowly............*re-installs generals and re-downloads*

Edited by NodUnit

I loved Zero Hour! Such a great game. And I always enjoyed looking at the online statistics - always 33% percent for each fraction. Thats what I call balanced! :)