Sign in to follow this  
frogblastvent

FancyCache

Sorry if this sounds daft but having increased my RAM from 4 to 12 gigs, which version of Fancy Cache should I be downloading? The Volume or the Disk version? Or both?

I'm using the disk version. I went for the overall system approach vs. just one particular volume.

Is this Freeware?

When I downloaded it, it was called a 90 day trial...have no idea what happens after 90 days as it appears to be a beta.

Is this Freeware?

From: http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/faq.html

FancyCache FAQ

Q: Does the cache still work if I close the FancyCache application? Shall I open and run FancyCache every time my computer restarts? It seems that FancyCache does not automatically start with Windows start-up.

A: After you click Start Caching button, the cache is always working even you close the FancyCache application or restart your computer. It stops working only when you click Stop Caching button or uninstall FancyCache.

Q: What is the difference between the Disk and Volume editions?

A: The Disk Edition is to cache for individual disks, while the Volume Edition for individual volumes/partitions.

Q: What shall I do when 90-day trial expires? Is there a way to buy a license now? Do you have a price list?

A: FancyCache is still a beta testing version. When 90-day trial expires, you can continue using it by updating it to the latest version or downloading an extended trial license. FancyCache is not open for retail now, so the price list is also not released.

i only have 6 GB of RAM. I thought that was a lot. :-P I guess I need more.

So, what are the best settings with 8gb Ram? And the page files needs to be turned off or left for the system to automatically manage it?

I must have done something terribly wrong Arma ran much slower after enabling this. Could someone post the recommended settings for an 8GB System?

I've only played around a little bit with FancyCache and Arma, but it looks promising. LOD switching seems a bit smoother. After the initial start-up, greatly improves loading times for most games.

I must have done something terribly wrong Arma ran much slower after enabling this. Could someone post the recommended settings for an 8GB System?

I have 8GB of RAM as well. YMMV, but:

Block size: 16KB (Smaller is supposed to be better, up to disk cluster size, but increases overhead/wasted RAM on large volumes. I have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD, 4KB cluster size. I find a larger cache more useful than a 4KB block size so far.)

Algorithm: LFU-R (Takes frequency of use into account)

Cache Size (L1): 4000MB (Have to leave enough memory for windows, the game, any other running apps)

Caching Strategy: Read-Only (I've heard of a few people having issues with read/write, especially deferred write, and file corruption. Can't confirm, don't want to go there.)

No L2 Cache (Only useful if you have a separate SSD* to put the L2 on, and still much slower than the L1)

The above set up leaves me with ~2200MB of free RAM at the desktop. I don't believe I've ever seen Arma2 go past ~1.8GB, but it's always good to leave a little headroom. Keep in mind it only helps with file calls that have already been made at least once, but once a game has been running for a bit the performance monitor usually shows a 75-90% read hit rate for me.

*edit: or if you have more RAM than your 32-bit OS can use. re: 'Invisible Memory'

Edited by vohk

Thanks vohk. I am using the Disk version, I have a 500gb 7200rpm HDD with two partitions, OS and Data with Arma 2 installed in Data. I didn't see great improvements but those annoying micro freezes seem to be gone!

Edited by folgore_airborne

And the page files needs to be turned off or left for the system to automatically manage it?

I just leave mine alone, other than shifting most of it off my OS drive and onto a spare/storage disk. Good article explaining why it generally isn't worth it to mess around with them here.

Thanks vohk. I am using the Disk version, I have a 500gb 7200rpm HDD with two partitions, OS and Data with Arma 2 installed in Data. I didn't see great improvements but those annoying micro freezes seem to be gone!

(Forgot to mention I'm using the Volume version, although that only matters if you want to try caching a single partition.)

That's about the same as I noticed. Not so much improved FPS as less in the way of hangs and pop-in. Time to go fly low over Chernogorsk.