Can anyone here tell me where the center of gravity is defined in the .xml file or elsewhere? I am using the default heli_heavy profile, but when I move say for instance the contact points in the .xml file to the location of the landing gear that is referenced in O2, well they dont go where they should? So my questions is where is the CoG referenced so I can adjust from that?

It does state in the wiki that all reference points are based on CoG in meters...

in the config in class RotorLibHelicopterProperties there's an entry:

rtd_center="rtd_center";

probably a memory point which defines the center for the rotorlib

Where are you finding that? I have looked in all my .bin's and I cant find that statement anywhere?

Where are you finding that? I have looked in all my .bin's and I cant find that statement anywhere?

I too looked and did not see it in any .bin's

But a memory point called "rtd_center" in a modal may be picked up on automatically by the game engine hence there is no need to add "rtd_center="rtd_center";" to a .bin unless it has some other name in your modal

e.g. if yours is called "my_heli_CoG" then you may have to add in the .bin file

"rtd_center="my_heli_CoG";

so just add a point called rtd_center to your modal & put rtd_center="rtd_center"; in the .bin to make sure

Purely conjecture on my part based on all the modals I have made for other non BIS games where “part names/points/etc†are pick up automatically by the game engine and appropriately used. ;)

Edited by b101_uk

the value is located in the main config file of the air_h.pbo

it's defined in "CfgVehicles" >> "Helicopter_Base_H" >> "RotorLibHelicopterProperties"

any official toh-helicopter config gets that value by inheritance - i.e. as long you don't want to change the name of the memory point and you're using the correct base class for your config you don't need to touch the config value.

OK, I have seen everything that you guys have pointed out... my question now is, how do i determine where the contact point for the landing gear are going to be. For example, I compare the Merlin to its flight dynamics.xml and this is what i get.

in the .xml

<MountStation x="1.754" y="-1.584" z="-2.2"/>

referencing the model in O2

x=.620 y=.465 z=-.632

How can i found the exact location, with out typing a number and testing a million times?

Is there a way to change the displayed units within O2?

I can tell you the “z="-2.2"†is minus suspension length and minus wheel radius

i.e. “-2.2†– “0.2†– “0.1†= “-2.5†then plus a small value for the “sag†of the suspension so would be in the range of ~ “-2.4†to “-2.5â€.

it also seam that when no one is in the heli ridged ground contacts are used that I suspect are in the memory lod, when people/player are in the heli the suspension values are used and the ridged ground contacts ignored.

as for the discrepancy between the xml and what is reported in O2 if you have somehow imported the heavy heli into O2 then it may have been at a scale other than 1:1 i.e something like ~3.1:1 (~0.3 +-0.02).

Out of interest, how did you decrypt the .p3d to get it into O2 to look at? :confused: As I would like to take a look at the exact placing of the rtd_center in the medium heli.

convertp3d is not useful in reclaiming binarised arma odols back to p3dm (02 editor). I have deliberately crippled that ability.

It's intention was and is to quickly convert ofp -> arma and various NEW arrowhead /ToH binary p3d's back to something that bi's personal tools Island tools can use. (buldozer is not necessarily compatible with TOH p3d's for instance)

If you want to look at the intestines of a binary p3d, use Eliteness. It decodes most of what you need to see, especially mempoints, skeletons, and rvmats

http://www.dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

convertp3d is not useful in reclaiming binarised arma odols back to p3dm (02 editor). I have deliberately crippled that ability.

thanks for the info, updated Eliteness etc and looked at the rtd_center in o2.

seam to be at 1:1 size also.

So my question now is, can you use rtd_center = "{ 0, 0, 0 }" to set the center point ?

So my question now is, can you use rtd_center = "{ 0, 0, 0 }" to set the center point ?

no, engine expects name of the selection

Ok, well I tried renaming the rtd_center = "something_else" with no noticed effect. It wasn't something_else but an actual point name within the model, but I'm away form my computer and can't remember what the actual point was. Is there a particular place where j should put the rtd_center? I put it on several of places in the .bin for the model I am using...