Sign in to follow this  
eble

Iranian's release video of captured UAV

Finally some more information regarding the RQ-170 captured (Found) by the Iranians.

http://www.military.com/video/aircraft/pilotless-aircraft/iranian-video-shows-captured-rq-170/1316789858001/

A U.S. official tells CBS News that there is "high confidence" that a captured American aircraft shown on Iranian television today is, in fact, one of this country's most sophisticated spy planes. The Pentagon declined to comment, but the American official says analysis of the video confirms the RQ-170 unmanned drone was captured. Exactly how that happened is still being analyzed.

{A3 plot is getting interesting} ;)

Dwarden, were you secretly involved with organising the Iran vs USA thing so people wouldn't complain ArmA 3 was unrealistic?! :mad:

I am questioning my self where did you got the Intel mate where? ...

between the lines i took a look at the video very close it looks to come strait out of 3ds max if you ask me :p Personally I am not convinced ...

Edited by KBourne

Let me guess, Bohemian is a prophet.

Hi all

As of yesterday this is the official DOD line:

http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=4940

The Iranian's claim to have used cyberwarfare to take over the drones control. It is belived that it was Iran that was attempting this VIA proxies in Iraq and Afghanistan for several years and had obtained video feeds from drones in the past. One of course wonders if this incident is connected to the incident of the virus at the US drone control facility; discussed in this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=125758

There were warnings about ignoring this breech.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/drone-virus-kept-quiet/

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker
spelling

Anyone find it strange that the radar absorbent paint is missing? The aircraft seems to be painted with standard primer?

Looks like the initial claims of a shoot down were false, there is no damage consistent with that. They have the underside of the aircraft covered up which could suggest damage from a crash landing? Not sure I believe the the story about taking over control, these aircraft are semi autonomous. It's more likely a communications failure led to the aircraft crash landing itself.

Anyone find it strange that the radar absorbent paint is missing? The aircraft seems to be painted with standard primer?

Looks like the initial claims of a shoot down were false, there is no damage consistent with that. They have the underside of the aircraft covered up which could suggest damage from a crash landing? Not sure I believe the the story about taking over control, these aircraft are semi autonomous. It's more likely a communications failure led to the aircraft crash landing itself.

I did read somewhere the Iranian had already removed the Stealth 'skin'? from the UAV whatever that is... trying to find the post again.

I did read somewhere the Iranian had already removed the Stealth 'skin'? from the UAV whatever that is...

Yeah, pretty sure that'll be in on express delivery to Russia and/or China. :p

"Taking over control" of the UAV sounds the least plausible, just because it sounds like something UAV designers should be able to make very difficult without the correct tools. Also, just because there's no obvious damage doesn't mean it wasn't brought down aggressively.

I'd bet it was a either some sort of failure or some act of electronic warfare on Iran's part.

What can be seen:

Something that looks like the UAV

No visible damage -> wasn´t shot down

No steath skin-> rremoved? Or did they present a replica?

I guess a pilot in US typed in "this landat 1" while flying over Iran.

As I mentioned in the other thread I personally think it was flown in to be found, to be placed in the media hype machine and add to the list of more damning "justifications".

But that's just me, call me old fashioned, but I just look at the past 10 years of questionable justifications.

I mean, you fly into a country (legal aspect?) something that can be for all manner of reasons malfunction, like a remote controlled kids plane. And then slam the people who find it. As I said in that other thread again, "Can I have my ball back? Because now you have what I kicked into your garden, i'm going to punch your head in".

Edited by mrcash2009

As I mentioned in the other thread I personally think it was flown in to be found, to be placed in the media hype machine and add to the list of more damning "justifications".

But that's just me, call me old fashioned.

Could be possible

Certainly a possibility mrcash, hadn't considered that. Wouldn't put it past them.

Best thing would be if Iranians would fly it back and park it in front of CIA HQ with a note: "Its nice but ours are better and painted with transparent stealth ink! Have a nice day, kind regards The Evil Empire!" :D

What can be seen:

Something that looks like the UAV

No visible damage -> wasn´t shot down

No steath skin-> rremoved? Or did they present a replica?

No idea about the stealth skin.

What does a stealth skin look like?

Any reason why a stealth skin has to be painted black not white?

With regard to damage, the entire underside of the unit is deliberately masked from view.

Anyway, the Iranians are the masters of disinformation, as are the Americans.

If there is one thing I guarentee it is that anything either side says about this, it is a lie.

Best thing would be if Iranians would fly it back and park it in front of CIA HQ with a note: "Its nice but ours are better and painted with transparent stealth ink! Have a nice day, kind regards The Evil Empire!" :D

nah more funny it would be if they upgraded it and flown back to US base with memo:

"

1. We fixed some bugs in hardware (the propulsion is now 10% more effective)

2. The coating is now using optical nanotubes to bend light (so yes the plane is invisible btw.)

3. We fixed some firmware bugs so the system is less prone to hacking :D

4. The main operating OS is now on nix kernel and the comlink uses hardened encryption

5. as addition to 4 we put into cargobay some USB drives with nix live distro so You can do secure remote control

6 . don't worry about it beeing rooted, we published all as opensource on our websites ;)

overally not bad plane but we already building better one :) so thanks for sharing

"

:D

ok jokes aside

i find it quite interesting how they really got the drone ...

as it seems it was first or one of the oldest drones of this type flying on Afghanistan-Pakistan-Iran area

it seems this was well known to Iranians about it's presence and operation in the area

how come the plane don't have safety switches (dead man switch) like landing in 'no land' zone

if (at all) is true it landed for w/e reason (lost signal/technical trouble) why it not tried to use optical terrain recognize or GPS etc. to fly outside 'no land zone'

quite lot of questions this brings up (e.g. how come it happened with this model and not any previous drones)

No ones yet considered the frightful probability that maybe this drone became self-aware mid flight and after massive computation, defected to Iran realizing Shia Islam as The Way :rolleyes:

@Baff1 "Any reason why a stealth skin has to be painted black not white?"

It's creamy yellow - see previous pictures of the RQ-170 at Kandahar and note the very obvious difference.

It looks like it is painted with aircraft primer, possibly the US was aware of the risk of it crashing on the wrong side of the border and did not put the final coating on it as it was only to be used in Afghan airspace? The theory that the Iranians peeled the coating off does not sound credible.

No ones yet considered the frightful probability that maybe this drone became self-aware mid flight and after massive computation, defected to Iran realizing Shia Islam as The Way :rolleyes:

Could be! Anyone seen this guy around yet? :D

250px-Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

I also find strange that DoD first reported lost drone and now when its obvious where it is they play top secret...

I think it lost its ability to think and promptly turned to Islam. Pretty standard.

ok jokes aside i find it quite interesting how they really got the drone ... as it seems it was first or one of the oldest drones of this type flying on Afghanistan-
(e.g. how come it happened with this model and not any previous drones)

In my eyes becuase if you want to drop it in to use for hype you dont use the latest most expensive one :)