Sign in to follow this  
marty6

Need help/advise on dedicated server setup

Hi,

I'm interested in setting up a dedicated server on my server machine. I only have one copy of the game. So, my game is installed on my 'gaming' rig which runs windows vista x64. Tried the game, it works well. So, now I want to run a server off of my server rig. It runs windows xp pro x32. After reading a few posts on dedicated servers, I think I need a few helping hits on what to do.

Here are a few questions?

1. Do I just need to copy over the 'entire' game off of my gaming rig to my server rig and then start a mp/coop game from there?

2. If not, would the 1.59 dedicated server files work by themselves and/or do I need to add the game files from the gaming rig to the dedicated server files loaded on the server rig?

3. Is there more than one type of dedicated server? What I mean is, I have Arma 2, Arma 2 OA, and the additions BAF and PMC. Do I have to create or install the dedicated server files in four different folders?

Any help is appreciated!

marty6

Install you're copy of the game on the server.

Patch it up.

Start it up once, just so you get the config-files.

Then you can use the dedicated-exe file and play.

You won't get fade or anything.

If you just copy ..\Arma2\, then you have to fix registry and such when patching or you have to copy it again.

The dedicated-exe won't work without every file, so no, you can't just use 1.59 exe.

There is a dedicated exe for A2 and one for A2:OA.

But if you got A2:OA, combine the folders or install in the same folder and just start the A2:OA dedicated.

NoBrainer,

Thank you for the reply. If I install all my Arma 2 mods onto the server machine, won't the dedicated server on that machine check to see if I'm running the same serial numbers? Will I be kicked from my own game?

Thanks,

marty6

You ain't playing on the server are you? AFIK it's only clients who is checked. :)

The dedicated server .exe(s) don't need or use a serial number (arma2oaserver.exe & arma2server.exe) only the clients (arma2.exe & arma2oa.exe) need the serial. Just the nice way BIS have given us free dedicated servers.

You need to run the clients once to setup registry settings so the patches can find your installation.

They have already answered...

But if you are planning to have A2:CO, Install A2 first and start A2. This is to get registry, files and folder created.

Then install A2:OA. Start up A2:OA to fix registry, files and folders.

Then you can patch it to the latest level.

Then you should be fine to start A2:CO...

I use -profiles to get all these server spesific files into one folder.

I don't use folders for A2 with special characters or spaces and as short as possible. Just because I'm lazy.

Something like this "-profiles=C:\A2F"

I also specify -cfg and -config so I know what I use.

Thanks for the info gents! I'm copying over my Arma 2 install from my client machine to my server machine. I'll start up a server session soon ... hopefully today...been a little busy.

marty6