Sign in to follow this  
raptor 6 actual

CHU-ville (Containerized Housing Units) and Concrete Revetment Walls

Hello Fellas,

I am starting this new thread so that I can introduce just a few small addons that I'm currently modelling in Oxygen (thanks to Abs, Gnat, PuFu, and others help).

The addons pertain to CHUs (pronounced "Choo") or Containerized Housing Units. The revamped shipping containers are around 20 feet long by 8 feet wide by 8 feet tall for the average two man housing unit. Many different manufacturers have different designs based on how many people can live in one, how many windows, etc., etc.

I am also working on my 12 foot tall by 5 foot wide concrete revetment wall. These walls are interlocking so as to build long wall segments to protect bases, buildings, or what have you. I am almost done with the wall, other than making out the other resolution walls and learning how to texture them.

I hope to use a script that allows for easy placement of the walls to make it easier for mission makers/map creators to place them down.

As far as the CHU goes, I have a three-segmented CHU in the works for officers, non-enter-able versions for all of them, plus maybe a "wet" CHU (latrines/showers), and if I'm too bored, a postal CHU.

Anyways, here are the scrren-shots of both, plus some of the real life objects.

Real Revetment Wallrealwall.jpg

.p3d of the wallrevetmentwall.png

Real Two-man CHUDSC00279-1.jpg

.p3d-still alot of modelling to do, obviouslychubul-1.jpg

Awesome! I love all the new modellers popping up. :)

I have a suggestion for the wall. Make sure that you make a few configurations...single, x3, and maybe x5 so that people can place them on the map easier!

Also, check out the editing forums, as there was an open-source house pack released there a few days ago...it can help you get a better idea on how to set up your CHUs in o2. ;)

Keep it up!

Abs

I have a suggestion for the wall. Make sure that you make a few configurations...single, x3, and maybe x5 so that people can place them on the map easier!

Thx Abs, I completely overlooked the idea of setting them up that way. Plus, when you have two of the segments together, the base has the geometric shape designed so as to make a perpendicular "joint" if you will. Should I make a few of those also?

Obviously, that will make for allowing editors to make branch-offs of some of the areas.

Also, I'll head over to the editing section, but set up the CHUs how? As in configs or lods or something else?

It's up to you if you want to make joints and whatnot. Go wild. :)

Configs, memory points, paths, etc. House models have these triangular paths that the AI use to know how to navigate in them. At the very least, you can learn by looking at someone else's work. Unfortunately it's never as simple as just build, texture, release. :)

Abs

Absolutely amazing, something i've wanted for a long time. One question though, are you planning on multiple sizes for the reventment wall? for example http://www.afghanroyal.com/?page_id=242 or even the "Scud Bunker" in the following image http://i.imgur.com/sHGrP.jpg . Furthermore I'd like to stress how important it is to have the correctly dimensioned icons for the editor, it frustrates me to no end how difficult it is to arrange BIS fortifications in the editor.

Looking forward to release, I think this is the kind of addon that should be included with ACE, as I imagine it would greatly increase the quality of FOBs in missions.

No, I agree with you on the dimensions in the editor. Since I am the one making them, I plan on making the editor icon as close to the actual size as possible. I'm the same way, it's hard to line them up, if in the editor it looks ok, but then ingame they're 2 meters in between each one.

There is a script out there for placing HESCO barriers down, and I think these will work the same way, but only changing the classnames.

I do plan on, thanks again to Abs, making single, triple, and 5 piece wall sections.

ATM, I haven't planned the other bunker, but will look into it. I never walked up to one with a tape measure, lol. I'll need to research the size of it.

I'll post some more WIP shots of the triple, and 5 piece sections, but since I haven't done the texture tutorials out there yet, they are naked for right now.

Those bring back memories. Though I've never been lucky enough to be able to stay in a CHU...

Good job!

@Merlin- What other walls were you interested in more? IIRC, ArmA's already got Jersey barriers, correct? That leaves the bunker and some of the other walls. They can even be placed between the CHUs or one can place the sandbags around them. This will be the beauty of it all.

As of today, I am making the other segments. I am trying to learn texturing, seeing as how there aren't but maybe three or four colors to be pasted on to the T walls, but if anyone has some spare time and knows texturing pretty well, PM me, and I'll be glad to hand over the mlods to get the walls out faster.

Absolutely stunning work. I've been looking for this kind of help for my islands.

Hey this stuff looks great, sent you a PM about texturing.

Nice one Raptor, can't wait to see them finished. Incidentally are you including the snazy sun lounger? :)

First, thx to everyone for the compliments. I hope to not keep everyone waiting TOO long before having at least one CHU out for people to use. The walls will be easier to finish however, but I am going to work on the bunker also (never know when a mortar attack is going to wake you up at 0245 in the morning, just after falling asleep) anyways, I am debating whether to release all of them together as a package, or with the CHUs.

@IceBreakr- great work on your maps. How would I go about handing out the addons (walls/CHUs) so that map makers can use them on their maps without having to get people to specifically download my stuff? Do I just release the mlods or something?

@droogs- thx for the comment. As far as the lounger goes, it seems everyone had one, lol. I don't know if I'll get that far. I just PM'd some folks asking how to "bend" cylinders in O2 to make wires. If I figure that out, the chair may become possible.

So, I'll keep on working on everything and posting so that you all can see the progress.

Thx

Raptor 6

@Merlin- What other walls were you interested in more? IIRC, ArmA's already got Jersey barriers, correct? That leaves the bunker and some of the other walls. They can even be placed between the CHUs or one can place the sandbags around them. This will be the beauty of it all.

I'd like to see the intermediate height barriers (6 foot ish?) for use in airfields and FARPs to reduce the chance of rotor collision, i'm in no way knowledgable about this and for all i know the large barriers could be used for this purpose.

On the subject of textures you may have already considered this but some system for for mission editors to place unit symbols/text would be useful http://i.imgur.com/DXn6S.jpg , The most simple way to do this i imagine would be to release the texture files (perhaps as a .psd?) with the addon and allow mission editors to SetObjectTexture as they desire.

looking forward to more WIP shots!

[quote name= I just PM'd some folks asking how to "bend" cylinders in O2 to make wires. If I figure that out' date=' the chair may become possible.

[/quote]

here you go Raptor, a quick vid on the linear deform tool on youtube

Thx droogs- I've watched that video about ten times. Though I get the general idea of what he's doing, I think there are some keyboard things that he does, but doesn't mention it.....in fact, he doesn't ever say ANYTHING, lol. Then, in his comments area, it's in Russian, so......I think I'll just copy/paste my points until I get the bends that I need. I know it's not a fast and quick idea, but it will give me what I need.

@ryguy- PM sent back

On the subject of textures you may have already considered this but some system for for mission editors to place unit symbols/text would be useful http://i.imgur.com/DXn6S.jpg , The most simple way to do this i imagine would be to release the texture files (perhaps as a .psd?) with the addon and allow mission editors to SetObjectTexture as they desire.

@Merlin

Check here dude. a nice little util that lets you create ur own posters rtc that can be stuck on walls etc. hope this is what your looking for:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8588&highlight=GLT%2BSIGNS

You don't have to release MLODs, ODOLs are just fine. Make a pack and thats it.

Here's the "T" Segment, the 5 Segment, and the 3 Segment wall pieces.. Obviously, not textured yet, but I'm trying to get it to that point. The hidden selections will be something I have to look into, but seems interesting enough to possibly put in.

I'm going to work on the bunker next, get it to the texturing stage. But there are still alot of things to work on just for the walls. As it stands right now, the one section wall contains 288 Points and 226 faces in LOD0 (closest one I believe). As I have gathered from other community members and the BIS Wiki, the number of LODs will decrease by half on each sequential LOD resolution. Hopefully, these will not hinder game play by much when an Island has them on it. If nothing else, I can get rid of the metal hooks.

I want to focus on the CHU as soon as I can. For the enter-able ones, I may just leave them empty so editors can setPos furniture or whatever in them. What are your thoughts?

TWall_Tseg.jpg

TWall_5.jpg

TWall_3.jpg

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual

looking nice m8. I agree with your thinking on the CHU and leave them empty.

BIS already has alof furniture, desks, chars, rifle racks, etc..... all you need to to is add proxys tot he model. No need to re-invent the wheel. I would like to see them filled out already.

No real update other than I'm trying to learn 3ds Max better as opposed to Oxygen. I have the "closed" version of a CHU done in the 0 LOD, but now have to figure out how to setup the other LODs. Also have to figure out weighting, paths, etc. So, once I figure out the first one, I'll start on adding interiors to some of them to allow people to set one or two of them up for missions.

No real update other than I'm trying to learn 3ds Max better as opposed to Oxygen. I have the "closed" version of a CHU done in the 0 LOD, but now have to figure out how to setup the other LODs. Also have to figure out weighting, paths, etc. So, once I figure out the first one, I'll start on adding interiors to some of them to allow people to set one or two of them up for missions.

Great work! When you figure this out, might be worth a thought to throw the information together and make a guide! I know the ArmA community/myself would love you for it.

Great effort!

For this to be be used on maps, please make sure read up on how to configure the buildings correctly on this biki page.

Especially the correct use of the "LAND_" prefix will make island makers using your addon very happy.