Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

God

I heard some old tales that there were once two Gods that lived far over the ocean, past Kolgugev and even past the desert Island. They were called BIS and Codemasters and one day they created our world, the land of OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ChickenHawk @ June 07 2002,03:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I heard some old tales that there were once two Gods that lived far over the ocean, past Kolgugev and even past the desert Island. They were called BIS and Codemasters and one day they created our world, the land of OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

wow! a new mythology is born! biggrin.gifsmile.gifwow.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

The question should be where do we go after we die..Heaven ? Hell ? No where ? Lights out ? Reborn again ?..

I believe in a god.I don't know if he's the god in the bible,or some god not on earth ,but in space somewhere.How did space come out soo perfect,earth,the sun,moon,other planets.Were we just lucky,or it was just soo perfect that a germ grew us,but where did the germs come from ? It's all weird.

I kinda have my own little god though,one i kinda made myself,weird eh ? Wanna know more about my god ?

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ June 07 2002,02wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All though, i dont belive in evolution to.It just doenst make sence.We came from monkeys?I mean that is totally dumb. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

accually we evolved more from a ape (much different from monkeys) evolution works in a way much different than what a lota people would think you dont just change over night, it takes many many years of generation after generation.

example:

there was a time when Guarraphs (dont know how its spelled)

had short necks instead of long ones, when leaves started becoming harder to reach, the gueirraphs w/ the slightly longer necks would survive, there fore pass its traits down to another generation, soon this same problem will happen and again the few w/ the slightly longer necks would survive again. this would keep goin on till they look like what they are today. thats evolution baaaby! wonder what humans would look like in a few hudred thousand years, maybe they would have grown to be like a average height of 10 feet?

Basketball players' babies will be yet taller and taller.

Notice the bodyhair. Neanderthal man was very hairy for reasons. Clothing which would contain body heat was limited in that era, thus they naturally grew hairy so they could withstand cold winters. But over millennia, people evolved physically and mentally. Since we've been well-clothed for thousands of years now, it's only naturally our bodyhair has subsided. Sure once in a while you see a hairy ass bastard you might even mistake for a chimp, but those people suffer from some genetic disease (... just making fun).

Just one example of how life adapts to its environment as well as other artificial factors.

Life will go on, and will try its best to break any barriers one would put in its way.

Why else do you think 90% of the people who want to commit suicide step back once it comes down to actually doing it ? Their body has an instinct for self-preservation. It will not easily let you just jump off that building or pull that trigger. It will fight back with every ounce of mental and physical energy it has to pull you back.

Life is the most amazing thing in the Universe, and in many ways, one could consider Universe itself to be alive.

STOP THE PRESSES!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Life is the most amazing thing in the Universe, and in many ways, one could consider Universe itself to be alive.<span id='postcolor'>

Advocate said something profound and wonderful that I agree whole heartedly with smile.gif

Whether there is a God or not isnt really that important. However, that single sentence sums up the core of what is truly important.

Life is the most amazing thing in the universe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ June 07 2002,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And that's what I believe drives all religion. A search for something to fill the eternal emptiness in the human heart. To have someone who understand our every thought. I don't think it's because people are dumb. Animals are dumb, yet they don't show any evidence of worshipping a god.<span id='postcolor'>

It would probably interest you to know that there have been hints of religious practice found in animals. You probably know that rudimentary human religions worshipped forces of nature like the sun (in hot areas) or the thunder (up north). Some behavioural biologists have found interesting practices performed by a tribe of chimps in an area, which has a mighty waterfall. The chimp go to the waterfall again and again and just stare at it. They also grab vines and swing themselves over the waterfall in an almost ritualistic way. The chimps are definitely not doing anything relevant for their survival (no washing, grooming, fishing, foraging, screwing is being done). It's almost like they are worshipping the waterfall (an impressive force of nature).

This could be the root of religious practice at work.

There are also other studies, which have discovered the mechanisms of religious feeling in the human brain. When a devout christian is worshipping in a church or a buddhist monk is meditating, some areas of the brain shut down. These areas, incidentally, are among other things responsible of making the distinction between your own body and the rest of the world. It seems that the human instinct for religion has evolved just like the other instincts. This implies that religion enhanced the survival of early humans, thus being beneficial. Why it is so, it's hard to say. Maybe it's like Wobble said: Intelligent animals (us) need something to lean to in order to give us a feeling of usefulness and to explain away the randomness of world.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 07 2002,06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">STOP THE PRESSES!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Life is the most amazing thing in the Universe, and in many ways, one could consider Universe itself to be alive.<span id='postcolor'>

Advocate said something profound and wonderful that I agree whole heartedly with smile.gif

Whether there is a God or not isnt really that important.  However, that single sentence sums up the core of what is truly important.  

Life is the most amazing thing in the universe.<span id='postcolor'>

Then go forth and seek life amoung the stars. Surely there is more out there, I refuse to believe that the only life out here is on this planet. Maybe instead of seeking God people should seek life instead. It might also help in the search for where humanity really did come from. Seeking things out in the universe I mean.

I am not religous even when I was dragged to church. Religion and me did not go together so I stopped going when I was old enough to make that choice for myself. I don't feel the need to seek out a godly being.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ June 07 2002,10:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't feel the need to seek out a godly being.<span id='postcolor'>

Me neither. I consider myself a God among mere mortals biggrin.gif

Regarding the intelligence factor and religion:

The chimp example only strenghten my point, though the clear seperation of humans and animals was hasty. Higher intelligence as also found in the chimp seems to strenghten need for religion, i.e. need for understanding and purpose of ones "great mind".

Who cares if we came from chimps/monkeys,Where the hell did the monkeys come from ? Outta space ? Germs ? What,Where did germs come from ?

There's gotta be something,I'm not a bible freak,never really been to church,I just believe in something is there,It may not be jesus ,but i don't want in his bad side just in case it is. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ June 07 2002,10:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who cares if we came from chimps/monkeys,Where the hell did the monkeys come from ? Outta space ? Germs ? What,Where did germs come from ?<span id='postcolor'>

A short explanation:

Planetary creation (the condensation of planets from the dust and gas left over from the formation of starts) also chemically spawns a wide array of organic compounds. This has been proven by observation of "stellar nurseries" and also by simulating the conditions in a lab. These materials are the same that make up all living beings.

On the primordial Earth, light, water, thunder, carbon dioxide and warmth was abundant. In these conditions, a couple of things happened. Some RNA molecules that formed chemically, were able to replicate themselves in the water solution. This is called self-catalysis. Also, fatty acids spontaniously formed "bubbles", which enriched other organic compunds inside them. Both of these things have been proven in a laboratory by simulating the condisitions of primordial Earth.

With time, more complex RNA replication systems emerged. Eventually, other organic compounds were recruited into the cycle. Simple single-celled organisms flourished and diversified into predators and prey. From single-celled organisms came multi-celled organisms and eventually humans. The relations between all species on Earth have been proven with sequence homology, that is, the similarity of the sequences of DNA from different species.

ok,Where did earth come from and why did it end up in a perfect location ? Luck ? One in an billion ? smile.gif

well, though it's beyond our grasp, there may still be a completely rational explanation to how the very first life started.

Just compare to how men in old times thought of thunder and lightning as signs from the gods, because there was no way they could imagine what really happens, as they didn't know about electricity.

Religion sometimes has this counter-evolution effect, by saying: don't try to understand or be curious, just accept it as devine intervention. Flanders and his kind really makes something snap inside me.

Also, watch "The Name of the Rose" if you haven't already.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ June 07 2002,11:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The relations between all species on Earth have been proven with sequence homology, that is, the similarity of the sequences of DNA from different species.<span id='postcolor'>

Yet there will be enough stubborn people to try and deny this fact for the next 5000 years!

It's like still maintaining that the earth is flat as a pancake. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ June 07 2002,11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok,Where did earth come from and why did it end up in a perfect location ? Luck ? One in an billion ?   smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Earth came from the gas and dust left over from the birth of sun with gravitational condensing. The gas and dust originally came from the Big Bang, which created matter out of energy, but the particular matter that created our sun has earlier been part of some older star, which blew up.

And the reason Earth is in a perfect location is simple. Stellar creation spawns a load of planets of different size and position (also proven by observation). Considering that there are a ridiculous number of stars in our galaxy alone, there are also an even more ridiculous amount of planets around. Of these planets, some of course are in a nice location and have a nice size for life to emerge. Earth is one of such planets.

It's not a matter of luck. If you throw dice a hundered times, you're bound to get at least one six. And our galaxy alone threw one big pile of dice.

Our religous teacher at school told us that science was evil and that its not our place to go out into space and stuff like that. This at high school. She said that this planet was made for us and that anything leading to space exploration is evil.

Religion to me puts God into everything. "God wouldn't want this or that" "thats against gods will" and as has been said many times people lose a baby and its always "gods will" stuff like that. Some people I know restrict themselves because of religion, not doing certain things. Their beliefs restrain them in a way.

ok,making sense,,But do you guys believe anything like a space god or something,not an earth god.Just something in space.

Also where do we go when we die ? smile.gif

"Earth came from the gas and dust left over from the birth of sun with gravitational condensing. The gas and dust originally came from the Big Bang, which created matter out of energy, but the particular matter that created our sun has earlier been part of some older star, which blew up."

Where did the big bang come from then? And what existed before it?

im happy with the idea of evolution, i see more evidence for that than i do towards a god although i have no trouble with poeple beleiving in such if it brings peace, happiness and satisfaction to a person.

charles darwins " origin of the species " is a great book explaining how mutations through generations of a species in order for it to utilise its surroundings and surivival of the fittest.

i think with all this guessing that goes on that us humans are sat in a little dark cupboard unable to see out past it and theorising on what is beyond the cupboard, and in truth no one has any ideas.

i also watched a programme once that scientists had made an equation which would calculate the amount of alien species probable in the universe i cant remember the equation but the answer was phenominal i.e 100 000 000 000 of different species

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ June 07 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Earth came from the gas and dust left over from the birth of sun with gravitational condensing. The gas and dust originally came from the Big Bang, which created matter out of energy, but the particular matter that created our sun has earlier been part of some older star, which blew up."

Where did the big bang come from then? And what existed before it?<span id='postcolor'>

i think it was this big rock that blew up.Sending crap everywhere.

For me I doubt there would be one god per planet. It makes more sense to me that there would be one god in the whole universe. Altho multiple gods wouldn't be ruled out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ June 07 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For me I doubt there would be one god per planet. It makes more sense to me that there would be one god in the whole universe. Altho multiple gods wouldn't be ruled out.<span id='postcolor'>

Soo jesus is just a office worker for the bigger god,making sure everything goes alright? And every planet has one ,just so they can report back to the space god (i guess ).I don't know what i'm talking about,but that would kinda make sense would it not ?

no jesus was just a fable story just like little red riding hood, stories told whilst sat round a fire at night to keep boredome away

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ June 07 2002,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no  jesus was just a fable story  just like  little red riding hood, stories told whilst sat round a fire at night to keep boredome away<span id='postcolor'>

well ,do you believe in something like a space god ? that's not for just one planet ?