Sign in to follow this  
dikkeduif

music in arma

Imho music should be only played in cutscenes and perhaps only if the player likes to hear it eg in vehicles via music/soundplayer. No need for extra music if its unrealistic and made only "to boost" the immersion of a mission. After all its a game not a movie or concert.

Imagine you have to listen to mission sounds/noises or voices but some strange "immersive" music is overriding it...

So the issue with "hollywood bombastic" music is not really the composers or the fact that their music orchestra done, but that these "hollywood" scores are overbearing and over-the-top. Am I correct? That is the only thing I see here. ArmA3 can have music done by an orchestra and still not be over-the-top. No one is asking for COD music. Orchestra =/= COD. Orchestra doesn't immediately mean COD just because the COD music was done by an orchestra. Just like the presence of Multicam, or a SCAR-L, or an M16 doesn't immediately mean a game is hollywood or trying to be like COD just because COD also features those things. The orchestra suggestion (my suggestion, not the OP's, but a solution to that also) is a quality-related suggestion. It would make the music sound much better. I do wish that something could be worked out where Ondrej could work with the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra in producing the ArmA3 score. And that BIS had the money to do so.

By the way, the music pieces are composed that way to reflect the product the score is accompanying. Zimmer for example has done more than just COD, and has done music way before MW2, and most of his pieces are not bombastic at all (only reason I'm bringing this up is because a prevailing idea in this community is that anything even remotely related to a competing game, like Dragon Rising or COD or BF3 is as unfavorable as the game itself, which is illogical). Zimmer has done:

The Lion King, Crimson Tide, Thin Red Line, Prince of Egypt (a cartoon), Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Modern Warfare 2, Crysis 2, Inception.

Not all of the music for those scores are bombastic. If the ArmA3 score was nothing more than orchestra versions of all the music pieces from the entire series, that would be better, imo, than another synthesized score. Not only that, but IF ArmA3 is to feature ambient music, an orchestra could pull it off better than a synthesizer.

Edited by antoineflemming

I tried to imagine which link you might have chosen before clicking on it, the only other one I could think would be as suitable is this one :)

That Kellys Heroes video strangely reminded me of Arma from 1:11 :D

I'd take the melancholic OFP ost or hard ArmA2 riffs over the same-sounding bombastic hollywood orchestra shit any day.

I can't agree with you more though I'd like to hear more of an orchestra approach for ARMA3.

Edited by SFG

I can't agree with you more though I'd like to hear more of an orchestra approach for ARMA3.

I agree. BTW, COD overbearing? You haven't heard anything until you watch Quantum of Solace. THAT is overbearing music.

Imho music should be only played in cutscenes and perhaps only if the player likes to hear it eg in vehicles via music/soundplayer. No need for extra music if its unrealistic and made only "to boost" the immersion of a mission. After all its a game not a movie or concert.

Imagine you have to listen to mission sounds/noises or voices but some strange "immersive" music is overriding it...

I agree with you on both points that there should only really be music in cutscenes or if the player has triggers for it(multiplayer). And also that vehicles should have "radios" that play music that the player can choose by putting mp3 or ogg files into their Arma3/Radiomusic folder.

The skyrim soundtrack is good, especially when you are exploring, it gives you a sense of freedom and hints at how big the world is. It's all about feeling. I wouldn't say it's over produced or generic. It's nothing ground breaking sure, but at least it works in the game.

Splinter cell conviction also has some very good ambient music for example, although some of you will probably classify this under "hollywood bombastic" :)

But it creates tension and drama where it's needed.

The total war series also have pretty good music for example. The music fits the style of the games, a lot of it is with percussion which fit the marching of the troops.

For combat themes I would not even consider hard rock because it's just too much. Let the music just get a bit more tense, doesn't need a screaming guitar in the middle.

Yeah, I agree that Total War has appropriate music, and that rock music might not be the best choice.

Perhaps Skyrim was not a good example, since to be fair they do incorporate some chanting which does add some flavor, but for me for a score to have a true medieval immersion factor (which of course isn't what the more fantasy-oriented Elder Scrolls series is going for), the production needs to be a little less refined (I find that a more raw sound works better for historical settings).

What I foresee for ArmA 3 is a fusion between typical orchestral music and more futuristic electronic influences, which of course are present in BF3's score. I think this is quite likely because there simply isn't any other genre of music that can accompany epic combat sequences so well while maintaining a serious tone, and it may be thought that electronic motifs would parallel the game's setting (near future).

I for one wouldn't be opposed to having ambient music in the game, as long as it's ambient in style as well as presence, but really there aren't a lot of other options.

And also that vehicles should have "radios" that play music that the player can choose by putting mp3 or ogg files into their Arma3/Radiomusic folder.

Yes! Please! Also have that kind of feature enabled for multiplayer. I would Love to Rick-Roll people on the battlefield! :yay:

Yes! Please! Also have that kind of feature enabled for multiplayer. I would Love to Rick-Roll people on the battlefield! :yay:

If BI were to add a custom radio feature for every player Im sure that each player would only hear his or her own playlist. I imagine it probably would require too much bandwidth to stream music for every single person on the server. Although that being said it could be cool if missions makers could choose to add mp3 files or playlist to the mission file e.g. "awesomemission.lemnos/Radio". That way when people download the mission they get the music and thus eliminate the need for streaming. The only problem is that the mission size would probably balloon to some outrageous amount but if you used ogg format it probably would be alright.

RickRollin', PSYOPS!

Actually, if there were separate client/server files, so only the server admins could do it, it might be feasible. Otherwise, too laggy.

If BI were to add a custom radio feature for every player Im sure that each player would only hear his or her own playlist. I imagine it probably would require too much bandwidth to stream music for every single person on the server. Although that being said it could be cool if missions makers could choose to add mp3 files or playlist to the mission file e.g. "awesomemission.lemnos/Radio". That way when people download the mission they get the music and thus eliminate the need for streaming. The only problem is that the mission size would probably balloon to some outrageous amount but if you used ogg format it probably would be alright.

It's allready possible to add custom music into missions. Music added this way is then included in the mission file (wich considerably increases filesize and for this reason is not used often). Soundfiles have to been in .ogg format at the moment afaik but its not too dificult to find a converter for .wav or .mp3 to .ogg.

I like this:

Of8UYlIBAyQ

Just those first notes brings a lot of good old memories while I can´t relate to none of A2 musics\songs.

)rStrangelove;2067638']Soundtracks are done best' date=' when you dont even realize they're there in the background. Just as an atmosphere booster.

[/quote']

This is exactly what my music teacher used to say. I fully agree with that.

But the truth is, OFP/ArmA's soundtrack will always stand out due to its' creator (Ondrej) love for original sounds. And that's what we loved. Thus, I am sure he is gonna stand up to the task once again ;)

Edited by Smookie

I like the Arma soundtrack.

But I think that Ondrej should spend some money for another guitar distortion sound...

I would highly appreciate soundtracks as this one

Something more calm but still building up tension on a somewhat classic level.

(also tweeted by Jay :))

Music in Arma 3 should be used as atmospheric element in eg. cutscenes or specific key moments of the campaign.

I wish for music that can deliever multiple feelings such as: power, fear, superiority, sadness, tacticool, relief, tension..

If Arma 3's soundtracks succeed in delievering this variety of emotions, I can guarantee you the storyline will be at a whole other level :)

Edited by PurePassion

For chrismas I want sheet of Arma II and ofp best scores !

Organ Works if possible please !!

I would highly appreciate soundtracks as this one

Something more calm but still building up tension on a somewhat classic level.

Couldn't agree more, with the right compose you can boost any feeling 10 times. I also think its worth mentioning Scott tobin :)

I can see the track Pure posted playing when Miller wakes up all alone on a shore with 2-3 dead squad mates around him :(

Maybe more appropriate for Operation Arrowhead, but check out Medal of Honor tracks From Here, Heroes Aboard, The Time is Upon Us, Falling Away, High Ground, The Summit, All Rounds Expended, Final Extraction, H-Hour, and Wiyar. Not for their "hollywood-ness" as some will label them, but for the fact that they are done by an orchestra. They captured the feel of Medal of Honor and weren't overbearing in any way. Here's a mix of Heroes Aboard and Wiyar:

rTUAV7SMdbA

Something along these lines, but fitting to the Mediterranean setting, would be good for some cinematic.

The music PurePassion referenced is actually found here (someone else already posted this in another thread, here):

USCnU5xvBZY

It sounds like the one PurePassion posted is on a different key or something though.

By the way, that's actually done by Harry-Gregson Williams, who also did COD4 and who was a protégé of sorts of Hans Zimmer. Funny, a couple pages ago both were labeled as "Hollywood", bombastic composers whose music was not welcome in ArmA. Funny how things change so easily. I think this music is proof that orchestral music is what is needed in ArmA. Ramin Djawadi, who composed the Medal of Honor music, is also connected to Hans Zimmer through Zimmer's Remote Control Productions film score company. What these guys have in common is that they utilize orchestras to do their music. Just throwing that out there. Honestly, it would really add to the feel of ArmA 3 if Ondrej was able to work with the Brno Symphony.

Edited by antoineflemming

ok, so after some time thinking about it, I have a feeling of what kind of music is appropriate for arma 3.

the music Pure posted is in my same line of thoughts, its atmospheric, soft (played piano or softer) and follows some harmonic path.

I think this track from arma 2 worked:

7tH2OtLB_5M

It worked up until the piano ended, when the strings started playing spiccato then it just killed the feeling.

so my suggestions:

TyGmllnYC3g

Mahler's piano quartet works perfect, for one its a quartet, makes the music more intimate - compliments being stranded alone on an island - the Motif played by the piano sounds great at pp, this motif repeats all the time in the piece too.

Another example:

CqdcDGmtJqI

again, soft, intimate (just piano playing) and compliments that quiet-time, alone feeling.

one more good example:

XPF2GogbHkU

So, music more along the lines of quartet (4 instruments) or less, Nocturne like, and usually played p or pp or quieter.

Edited by Igneous01

I'd rather want the music which is developed for making player in deep thinking, but also combined into cruelty and sorrow of warfare. Nobody could imagine the war could be amazing as what they've dreamed, more like continue the war disaster spreading after the near-future's ICBM warfare. Perhaps, the music like Deus Ex Human Revolution 3 could give you great inspiration.

wNlopC0wW98

Or if you want a bit style of action and epic-clashing feeling. Perhaps the gladiator musics from Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed could provide some great examples for inspirations.

pvOFKETtQVQ

And looking for making title, cutscene during the background of war or something, that kind of slow-paced, memorial music could do.

cQQ4ME22Lx8

Edited by Dysta