Sign in to follow this  
Homer Johnston

Road Painter 2

I love the tool, it makes painting roads so much easier. One problem, though, is that the resulting roads are not "real" roads, i.e. the AI doesn't seem to drive along the roads. Is there any way to fix that, or does the require manual road painting ?

There's no such thing as "real" roads... Once they're exported to the WRP file, the roads made by this are no different than any other road you've made. If the AI aren't following them, it's because of some other reason (combat behaviour, road doesn't benefit their pathfinding, etc). In any of my tests, they'll follow these roads just fine.

Ah, thanks for the info. I'll have to find out why they driver off the road then. I have made a mountainous terrain with a serpentine road, I guess the AI can't handle it then :|

Anyway, thanks for the tool, it's invaluable and very easy to use.

By the way, I had trouble initially saving sessions or exporting. I keep all my modes sorted into categories, like islands, units, editing tools etc in subdirectories. If your addon is in a subdirectory, it will not be found by the exporter. Just thought you might want to mention it in the readme.

Ah, thanks for the info. I'll have to find out why they driver off the road then. I have made a mountainous terrain with a serpentine road, I guess the AI can't handle it then :|

Anyway, thanks for the tool, it's invaluable and very easy to use.

By the way, I had trouble initially saving sessions or exporting. I keep all my modes sorted into categories, like islands, units, editing tools etc in subdirectories. If your addon is in a subdirectory, it will not be found by the exporter. Just thought you might want to mention it in the readme.

ai+ narrow roads with no shoulder = dead ai, or a lot of flipped vehicles stuck in a ditch. This looks like a great tool. I plan on using it!

Edited by Rip31st

ai+ narrow roads with no shoulder = dead ai, or a lot of flipped vehicles stuck in a ditch.

Made a second road that does not have too sharp turns, and the AI follows it perfectly.

This looks like a great tool. I plan on using it!

It is great, manually placing a road is horror. I hope it will be available for Arma 3 as well

Made a second road that does not have too sharp turns, and the AI follows it perfectly.

Yeh, very hard to tell sometimes, but it does seem like sharp & short turns (i.e. turns that use a fair few shorter & large angle bits) cause the AI to start searching for a x-country short-cut.

Gnat;2176705']Any chance your tool is flexible enough that a user can add a custom set of road (or rail) objects into your exist config set?

First, you need an addon defining your roads so that they can be spawned in-game via createVehicle (or placed with the editor)

Second, you have to define it for the tool in roadpainter.terrain\RoadParts.sqf... it's fairly well commented and a motivated person should be able to figure it out; add a new "Master" entry into the HOMJ_RP_RoadListMaster array, and then define your new road family by that name down below, similar to the other existing ones. I'm hoping to try adding the basic BIS rail pieces in the next update, I'm not sure yet how they'll work!

Wow .... very well commented ! Thanks

..... Should always be 0, but BIS decided to reverse one arrowhead piece... (wtf!)

LOL

Very nice tool, I used the previous version for my island. :bounce3:

However I'm at a loss with the xxx_0 2000 and xxx_0 1000 road pieces. I just don't know how to configure them in visitor. They seem like very mild curves but in visitor I can only define curves with a radius of 25/50/75/100. In the previous version these parts weren't used so I had no problem with them.

Or are these parts actually straight parts? Then I can't configure them either as visitor only offers 6,12.5 and 25m parts. But the roads are 20m long according to O2.

edit:

Ah ok... seen the video, so you don't use the road system anymore

Edited by Icewindo

I have problem with saved files .I get 0 kb exports but not every time , i must press export 2-3 times to get the export file. i noticed that if i make many roads , never get the right file . some times i get half objects and other times i get 0kb.

yesterday i lost 6 hours work . i have a 2048x2048 island. only if i make 1 part at time i get the right files on export. i try with 2 roads session (smooth terrain) and i get 0 kb also.

ps. with one road only the xyz file is 88mb.

The session that i lost was 20 road paths.(i have the paths as txt , the session was lost (0kb file) but i dont know how i get it back in new session, see question 2) i smooth all roads and i press export xyz. After 15-20mins the arma2 crash to desktop and say to me that i have low memory (something like that, next time i get a snapshot of the warning for posting it here) i ll try today to make 3-4 roads again , smooth and export xyz , to see if i do something wrong.

my pc is 2 quad , 6gb ram , vista

2. how can i import the roads that i have extracted from painter2 in new session? import road paths is possible?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english.. :-))) i thing that you understand the situation i describe here.....

edit: i dont know how i can post an image but the error say

"Out of memory (requested 287737 kb).

footprint 485179392 kb.

pages 393216 kb."

Edited by dragonsyr

I have a problem, I can lay the roads but when I try to do the "smoth" tool the blue dots do not show up...and its not clear if it smothed the terrain out? I then exported everything as in the demo vid, but when I try to open the file in visitor throw the "Scripts" option on the top I have no "Import Objects" icon, just the "add/run scripts" and "manage scripts"...but no "Import Objects"???

I'd try "add&run scripts" - navigate to the "Scripts" folder in the Visitor 3 installation folder - choose "Import Objects" script....

That's for one-off useage... or you could try the other option - "manage scripts" and add "Import Objects" permanently to the "Scripts" menu if you prefer.....

There's a complete Manual for Visitor 3 HERE which you should check out thoroughly.....

B

Ok thanks I have got the "import script" option to show. But I am havingstill the same problem with the "smooth" tool...no blue dots appear, and it does not actually smooth anything? However it does allow me to draw the roads and import them to visitor 3 now, just no "smoothing" happening even tho I got the file from when I exported it from the road painter tool?

Oh and also there is no "view distance" slider on my road painter screen ingame...the mini map box seems to expand over top where the view distance slider would be, from how I seen it on the demo vid for the road painter tool 2

Hello and first of all THANK YOU Homer for this amazing tool! It has been a huge success so far with my map project. (around 100km of road in place already and a lot more to go)

Anyhow I've begun to wonder if there is a way to smooth all the roads at once for I have quite a numerous amount of them and smoothing them one by one will be quite slow, also as there are crossroads and such, the intersecting roads might break each others smoothing (or not, not there yet so just speculating).

I am planning to do some tweaking on the heightfield after roads are in place and preliminary smoothing is done (using L3DT) and am quite anxious to get there.. :D This being my first serious Arma map and all that.

If the smoothing tool could be used on multiple roads it would be awesome.

Oh and as off topic thought, is there any way to calculate the amount of road in kilometers on a map? Would just be neat to know.

HG

Great tool Homer, Now how do I add runways to it?? I would love to place runways the same way as roads.

Be good if we could get side walks to go next to roads for city builds to ease the pain

i have noticed when i import roads to vis it shows them in bulldozer fine i put it in game and half the roads are missing its patchy on half my island the other half shows fine any one get this as well

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Ported my roads to visitor on took a closer look on them yesterday and noticed that some straight(ish) stretches have tiny little gaps between some parts! I've been painting quite long pieces from high view and didn't notice them before.

I didn't notice any gaps in curves tho.

Has anyone else encountered such?

Im going to try to repaint them with shorter strokes and see if that helps. Some preliminary testing suggested so..

I noticed tiny gaps when porting ArmA terrain to use from arma to arma2 roads. I haven't done exhaustive investigating why this happens.

BTW this has nothing to do with Road Painter.

I'm using Road Painter with custom road models. Here is my configs:

RoadParts.sqf

HOMJ_RP_Road_VTE_trailpath =
[
// "name" you will see in-game for the road
"pmc\vte_objects\VTE_trailpath",
// picture for listbox
"pictures\asf.paa",
/*
This is the starter-piece... currently the tool is hard coded to start every road path with this item in this list.
The last number is whether to reverse the item (rotate it 180 degrees) for drawing. Should always be 0, but BIS 
decided to reverse one arrowhead piece... (wtf!)
*/
["Land_VTE_trailpath6konec", 6.25, 0],
[
	// These are all of the pieces available to draw with.
	// The string is the CLASSNAME used to createVehicle the piece (defined in config.cpp)
	// Straight pieces have one NUMBER ... which is how long the piece is
	// Angle pieces have two NUMBERS ... which are the TURN ANGLE, and TURN RADIUS
	["Land_VTE_trailpath25", 25], // Straight piece, 25 meters long
	["Land_VTE_trailpath12", 12.5], 
	["Land_VTE_trailpath6", 6.25],
	["Land_VTE_trailpath10_100", 10, 100], // Angled piece, 10 degrees heading change and 100m radius
	["Land_VTE_trailpath10_75", 10, 75],
	["Land_VTE_trailpath10_50", 10, 50],
	["Land_VTE_trailpath10_25", 10, 25]
],
[	// These are "special" pieces - currently not implemented
	["HOMJ_asf_6_crosswalk", 6.25, 0]
]
];

Roads config.cpp model part:

model = "\pmc\vte_objects\VTE_trailpath12.p3d";

Then when I'm creating roads and Export All them, I get this:

"\pmc\vte_objects\vte_trailpath12";9595.73;7668.81;0;0.639944;
"ca\roads2\asf1_0 2000";10005.2;23940.2;0;256.713;

Notice the difference on your default configured BIS roads and mine, the leading \

Its not a big deal to fix that in text editor, but it would be nice if Road Painter kept the export format same for all road types.

Got back to planning the roads and made some modifications to the layout.

This lead to starting anew with the roads completely and as I did, I found out the cause for the gaps I wondered about before. It seems that the save/load function breaks the alignment of some road pieces. :C

I am going to try if exporting the roads out on one go will be affected, if not then I just have to get them right the first time and port them to visitor.

I wonder if Homer is still working on this though? Would be awesome to see how far this can go.

Great tool from what I've experienced so far :)

Edited by FreakJoe