Sign in to follow this  
rallyolle

More gun simulation? interaction

Would you like to see manual cycling and/or cocking of the weapons?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see manual cycling and/or cocking of the weapons?

• Yes
    • Yes, but as a difficulty option
    • No, it's a bad idea
    • Restrict it to manually operated weapons
    • Restrict it to semiautomatic weapons
    • Restrict it to stealthy weapons
    • Other option (please elaborate)

Guys seriously you are taking this waay to far. You know that I like realism, but only until it start to feel awkward. R is everything that is needed. Let BIS make nice and accurate reloading animations and everything will be ok

Perfectly agreed :)

Arma is a combined arms simulation game. Infantry's definitely got the most polish, but the focus of the game is not detailed soldier/weapon interaction. It's soldier/soldier or soldier/vehicle interaction. First of all, BIS should focus on major improvements, not some minigame for performing a common action.

What the OP suggested could be likened to having to press E every time you want to take a step with your right foot and Q every time you wanted to take a step with your left one. It might look cool on paper/computer screen, but in praxis, it just won't be entertaining.

Elaborating on that, malfunctions, overheating, cook-offs and barrel changes would be a welcome change by me.

Wall-of-text, out.

If you you are trained with your weapon you dont spend much thought when reloading so I see no need for extra buttons and combos to do it in game. I have done some RL shootings where I hardly realised I did reloads or tap-rack-bangs.

This is perfect! I was thinking of a similar system just yesterday.

How it works is:

While going to shoot the gun, one must play one level of super mario before the gun is fired. Then, 4 dice are thrown, of which 3 of them must equal 6 before continuing. Then, one must independantly control each muscle in the finger using a series of voice commands to pull the trigger.

This would add much realism into the game. Thoughts?

This is perfect! I was thinking of a similar system just yesterday.

How it works is:

While going to shoot the gun, one must play one level of super mario before the gun is fired. Then, 4 dice are thrown, of which 3 of them must equal 6 before continuing. Then, one must independantly control each muscle in the finger using a series of voice commands to pull the trigger.

This would add much realism into the game. Thoughts?

No.

Dice throws have nothing to do with firing a gun.

yes, should only work when using and xbox controller, due to the pop ups on the screen showing similar to the new and awesome R6 game: push X, or hold A.

Dice throws have nothing to do with firing a gun.

You don't need two hands to throw the dice, one hand will stay on the gun anyways

Okay, maybe just keep mario and the voice commanded muscle system.

You don't need two hands to throw the dice, one hand will stay on the gun anyways

What about the chess board simultaneously being used at the time of rolling dice? Someone will have to be holding that....

But on a serious note, I think also having just R for reload is fine. Then, if the gun has jammed, R can be pressed to fix this with a seperate animation.

Edited by djfluffwug

As everybody who ever used a gun in real life knows, every gun needs to be cocked at least once after reloading in order to fire. In ArmA II (and most games on the market) this is an automatic part of a reloading sequence, and all manually operated weapons cycle automatically. I think this isn't the best solution. Adding another key to work the bolt or pull the charging handle could increase immersion, but might also turn out uncomfortable and somewhat counterintuitive for some players. Also, in case of some weapons (like Welrod pistol or Russian silenced pistols), this could be another factor to consider in stealth missions, as you wouldn't like to cycle the gun when it can be heard (in case of Welrod, it's the loudest noise this weapon produces). So, I'd like to know what does the community thinks of this idea.

Edited by Dragon01

As everybody who ever used a gun in real life knows, every gun needs to be cocked at least once after reloading in order to fire. In ArmA II (and most games on the market) this is an automatic part of a reloading sequence, and all manually operated weapons cycle automatically. I think this isn't the best solution. Adding another key to work the bolt or pull the charging handle could increase immersion, but might also turn out uncomfortable and somewhat counterintuitive for some players. So, I'd like to know what does the community thinks of this idea.
Yeah and add another key for trigger safety and the need to clean the rifle periodically and by the way adda few malfunctons...thx no, it's a game and that parts do not really make much sense in a GAME...maybe thats why no GAME has

this.

If you can argue that it could be a gameplay mechanic, it should at least be considered. The list that kylania refers to, with keys for "moving the magazine", adds nothing of gameplay value. It might be that it's immersive enough just to have the correct animations for each weapon. Is there any tactical reason for why you would or wouldn't cock a weapon, besides stealth?

Even if considering some stealth use, 99% of the time you would just press whatever key is assigned to this action right after reloading. So in my opinion this would not add anything valuable to the game. Let it stay a part of the reloading acion as it is now.

This is a good idea for a difficulty option, don't know why so many people hate it. And by the way to people who think differently its not a game, its a game for enthusiasts/simulator, so why not? If you don't like it, play at the different difficulty option. I like it!

Dragon01

Please search before posting. We don't need 1000 threads on one topic.

I'm going to merge this thread into the old once since the old one wasn't older than 4 months. You can continue the discussion there. No administrative warning this time because the title of the existing one is vague. Please brush up on the rules in the future, though. Thank you.

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

Ok so a tactical reload would look something like

R (grab your mag)

G (release the mag)

Pull/scroll (mag out)

Pull/scroll (move mag/hand down)

F/R (holster the mag, perhaps that would be R's function in this position)

F/R (Grab a new magazine, perhaps that would be R's function in this position)

Up/scroll (bring new mag up)

Up/scroll (push the new mag in)

R (release your grip of the mag)

Oh hell no! That is so damn convoluted. There are far more important, rewarding & logical things to be worked on. Besides we are playing the game as trained soldiers, they know how to operate the weapon.

About the most I'd like to see here is to have a few different types of reloads and a fix jam, all operated by one key.

A normal reload. Normal speed, keeps current mag, press R.

A fast reload. Fast speed, drops current mag, louder, double tap R.

A slow reload. Slow speed, keeps current mag, very quiet, hold R.

Fix jam, press R while jammed.

Even that would be a bit much as it would need a lot of extra animations to do it right.

Similar to Gears of War??? Me personally i dont see this as a good feature to add, plus it would have to be mandatory for everyone. How unfair would it be if one guys gun jams and yours doesnt? Just seems unnecessary IMO.

How unfair would it be if one guys gun jams and yours doesnt? Just seems unnecessary IMO.

War is unfair. ArmA/OFP CWC has never been about balance.

Personally, I would be a fan of having to cock bolt rifles and shotguns with the fire button, like in Red Orchestra. In RO it felt immersive and satisfying and it became a reflex after the first few minutes of playing. Anything else though would quickly become a nuisance. The reloading procedures in the original post sound horrifically tedious.

G release magazine.

R (hold or Press) grip/release magazine / holster grab new magazine

F lock bolt or whats it called lul

T Cock/rack the gun. (could perhaps have mouse movments too, T to grab etc)

Scroll down/move mouse to move magazine between in the gun/pulled out/holsterd in your vest.

Space (toggle or hold) inspect gun with mouse movment, similar to alt looking.

(so that you can hold space and turn the mouse and see if you have a double feed or wtf is up)

Notice that I give multiply button suggestions for actions, its hard to know what would work good without testing, hopefully you'll get the idea tho.

Ok so a tactical reload would look something like

R (grab your mag)

G (release the mag)

Pull/scroll (mag out)

Pull/scroll (move mag/hand down)

F/R (holster the mag, perhaps that would be R's function in this position)

F/R (Grab a new magazine, perhaps that would be R's function in this position)

Up/scroll (bring new mag up)

Up/scroll (push the new mag in)

R (release your grip of the mag)

Oof, no, absolutely not :) I like the interaction of ArmA, but fiddling about so much just to change a mag? No way.

I assume my ingame character has skills I don't necessarily have, and can carry them out as such. I assume that as a pilot, my ingame character knows how to operate the helo, and as a player I just fly. Same with tanks. Same with walking, climbing, throwing, and weapon handling.

In fact most of the time I play with ingame labels on, because as a non-soldier, I don't recognize all the vehicle types or uniform types. I assume that as an ingame soldier, my character has those skills. Same sort of idea, I have to assume that my character has skills that just happen and don't get between me & gameplay.

We don't need ultra special controls to just reload the weapon , we just need a proper animation to the weapon - not only one set for all weapons

But i liked to see fire selector control and mainly the safe (also visible on the weapon)

Edited by RobertHammer

I assume my ingame character has skills I don't necessarily have, and can carry them out as such. I assume that as a pilot, my ingame character knows how to operate the helo, and as a player I just fly. Same with tanks. Same with walking, climbing, throwing, and weapon handling.

In fact most of the time I play with ingame labels on, because as a non-soldier, I don't recognize all the vehicle types or uniform types. I assume that as an ingame soldier, my character has those skills. Same sort of idea, I have to assume that my character has skills that just happen and don't get between me & gameplay.

A-ha, that's what I'm thinking. I like the idea of more weapon interaction, but we have to trust that our avatars are trained professionals. Mind you, it would be cool if the weapon handling was more difficult + awkward when you are playing as a civilian. So, it would be nice to have a couple of simple options/features, but no really complicated combos. Plus, Arma already uses like every button on the keyboard, so how can we allow for that many individual functions?

Why limit ourselves to multiple key presses when we can go ever more immersive -> Tresspasser style, hold button and move mouse to manipulate the enormously long arm :D 30 minutes later: magazine reloaded!

Edited by Smookie

Ha! Reloading while running would be more interesting. :D

But as mentioned before, I hope for proper weapon animations + interactions.

No way. One of the dumbest ideas I've heard (and not the first time, please search before you post). Next thing you'll want is to have to clean our weapons after we fire them.

I shoot all the time at my personal range. No need to duplicate all the actions I go through each time I load and fire a gun... in a video game. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mosh

I would like to know what the results would be just for manual cocking without the reload overhaul suggestions in the original post that seem to get most people opposing all of it.