Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

MV22 Door Gunner Project

This addon provides M134, M240 door guns and the Remote Guardian Interim Defense Weapon System (IDWS).

This version is Multiplayer compatible - all previous MP issues are now fixed.

The manned MV22 Door Gunner versions for USMC, US, and BAF are found under Air > MV22-Door Guns (also under Empty > Air).

The IDWS is a belly-mounted M134 gun system purpose-built for the MV22. The IDWS is similar to a CROWS remote weapon system. The manned MV22-IDWS versions for USMC, US, and BAF are also found under Air > MV22-IDWS (also under Empty > Air).

version 2.0 Release!

Download "pook_mv22mg_v2.1.zip" from this location: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265#cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211885

Dependencies: Requires OA

NEW in version 2.1:

-------------------------

- Removed action shortcuts that interfere with keyboard flying (moveback, moveright) for those who still haven't bought themselves a joystick ;)

NEW in version 2.0:

-------------------------

- MULTIPLAYER COMPATIBLE! All MP issues were corrected. No more duplicate guns in gunner view or when vehicle respawns.

- Gunner Get In/Get Out actions completely redone. You must be inside the vehicle for the Move to / exit from gunner position action to appear! No more trying to climb into the gun from outside the vehicle!

- M240 Gunner Version!

=============

CLASSNAMES

=============

MV-22 w/ IDWS system:

pook_MV22 (USMC)

pook_MV22_US

pook_MV22_BAF

MV-22 w/ M134 guns:

pook_MV22_DG (USMC)

pook_MV22_DG_US

pook_MV22_DG_BAF

MV-22 w/ M240 guns:

pook_MV22_DG_M240 (USMC)

pook_MV22_DG_US_M240

pook_MV22_DG_BAF_M240

All-tracer magazines:

MV22mg_4000Rnd_762x51_M134

MV22mg_2000Rnd_762x51_M134

MV22mg_1200Rnd_762x51_M240

The guns themselves are PRIVATE scoped so they don't show in the editor. They CAN however be scripted for attaching to other vehicles/gun emplacements/etc:

MV22mg_tripod

MV22sidemg_tripod

MV22mg_m240

MV22sidemg_m240

==============

CHANGELOG

==============

v2.0: 6/26/2012

-----------------

NEW: Enter/exit gunner positions now implemented. Players must be inside the MV22 cargo to enter the gunner positions.

NEW: M240 gunner versions.

FIX: Multiplayer compatible! Everything now works correctly in MP.

FIX: Improved M134 gunner position, config, and model.

FIX: Removed standalone vehicle scripts to avoid compatibility issues.

v1.2: 12/4/2011

------------------

NEW: Added script to initialize door guns for unmanned MV22. Script "init_doorguns.sqf". See script section for more info.

NEW: Added new MV22 units with door guns for US, USMC, and BAF.

v1.1: 12/4/2011

------------------

FIX: Corrected script error that was not removing the rear gun when "Dismount" was selected... eliminates potential for duplicate guns.

FIX: Improved "Get In" location for IDWS gunner. To enter the IDWS, the easiest way to get the "Get In" prompt is to crouch and look directly at the gun, or go to the side door and look at the ground.

v1.0: 12/2/2011

------------------

Initial Release

==============================

CONTENT/FEATURES:

- The rear and door guns are added via a scripted "AttachTo" command at vehicle INIT. No additional work is required. No script or editing is required. Simply drop the vehicle into the editor or via MP spawn scripts.

- You must be in the MV22 cargo position to move into the gunner positions.

- Move from cargo/to guns and to cargo/from guns is now working.

- You can eject from Gunner positions.

- The door guns in this addon use new magazines that place tracers every round. The original BIS magazines are also fully supported.

- This addon could be adapted for use with any vehicle that has a ramp or as an alternative version for any "technical" vehicle. MLODs will be available soon after this version is released.

- The mission profile of these protected MV22s is significant. Protected vehicle towing/insertion is a real option. Protected fastrope insertions is now a possibility with these armed MV22 versions. Therefore a good fastrope addon is strongly recommended to get the most out of this addon. Mission makers should consider something like Norrin's fastrope addon:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73336

Any of the Vehicle Towing scripts/addons that are available will benefit from an armed unit! Examples include vehicle cargo lifts into and out of a hot zone.

KNOWN ISSUES / BUGS:

- AI gunners sometimes depart (and fall to their death) instead of ejecting.

- AI pilots sometimes fly the MV22 like retarded monkeys, so the use of AI pilots may lower the satisfaction of your gaming experience.

- The side gunner is sometimes partially hidden from view. This appears to be due to the Compartment settings of the MV22 3D model.

======================

CREDITS AND THANKS :

======================

Thanks to BIS for the Armaverse!

============================

DISCLAIMER / RESTRICTIONS :

============================

Models based on Arma1 sample models. This mod is ONLY for use with BIS games! You are free to do anything you wish with it so long as it is for a BIS game and in accordance with the BIS license!

action1.jpg

action2.jpg

action3.jpg

action4.jpg

action5.jpg

Edited by hcpookie
v2.1 update info

Just one question

Have you unbinarized the model?

If it is so I want you to know that I was banned for six weeks for doing that. I wouldn't like to see someone doing the same mistake.

Otherwise, it looks good!!!

Nope, not unbinarizing anything. Completely scripted using AttachTo and new gun models. ;)

If you could please contact me and explain your method to me, that would be very helpful.

If you could please contact me and explain your method to me, that would be very helpful.

Well, he already presented his method. Nothing unusual.

Completely scripted using AttachTo and new gun models. ;)

Well, he already presented his method. Nothing unusual.

I saw that and I require more information than that. Thank you, Professor.

edit: If his explanation was completely implausible this topic would be locked and he would be post restricted by now. However, the moderating team requires more information and I have been asked to investigate.

Edited by Max Power

It looks pretty simple to me. Animate the side door and ramp open and attach custom static MGs in their right positions. I have done something similar in an unreleased DM.

If everything is fine, then everything is fine. Let's relax about it. If his method is legitimate, then he doesn't need you to defend him. Rushing to his rescue, though, is muddying the waters.

Cool addon! What other parts can be animated I wonder?

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Max Power, I sent you a PM :)

Just to clear the air, I am in no way de-compiling or reverse engineering anything. I am using the AttachTo command to "mount" brand-new M134 static "tripod" guns on the MV22. Nothing more. Just like my Camo Nets addon attaches nets to the aircraft.

The new M134 static guns are simply modified from the BIS Sample Models. Just like I did with the M134 version of my BRDM2 Improvements addon... in fact I took the M134 BRDM2IMP model and cut/pasted the turret weapon into a new P3D and used that as my basic rear door gun. The side gun is a modified version of that, with a slightly different mounting bracket.

I scripted the AttachTo commands, so the vehicle must be edited to include the ability to "Mount Door Guns" and "Dismount Door Guns".

I hope this helps dispel any misconceptions about the addon. At its heart it is the same as "AttachingTo" an M2 tripod on the back ramp, but heavily modified. :)

Edit to add - here's what the "static MG" models look like (300k pics):

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pnr7sCjg2c6rXpQAnY8PmE4fayxs82iR39q3-KW2Mbf4Vm6k6z--nG96wa2TqEQDgDUfZ18Aj53Erqq7VRQEItg/mv22_mg.jpg

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pnr7sCjg2c6oXFaG-jkNfWiKxrA-8kiPPjhTXnhlngbjP9UyongJj96INJigMdHT-DWecrGPb7PKEqbVcKnWYbQ/mv22_sidemg.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Also wanted to show off the "Remote Guardian" system - basically a CROWS belly-mounted M134. You can search online for "Remote Guardian System" to find more info. Here's a link to a pic of the real thing for comparison:

http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/MV-22_Osprey_with_RGS_1.jpg

my work so far:

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pnzRrEaI3CQRfOe-rWK3bNviAR1WKmuZ1rL13R9e7oCR703ZldJVSfwUE4p8_2sx1s4NkAlrgs_U9v7d04thiow/mv22_RG.jpg

mv22RG.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Wow! Sweet deal. Moving turrets on planes? Brilliant! :D

I can't wait to see a demo of the Guardian.

nice :)

after seeing the british troops in the picture, i wonder what a C-22 in green and with the RAF logo would look like ;)

Thank you hcpookie, for being a good sport about my inquiry. And to those of you who raised concerns, thank you for doing so in a civil tone.

hcpookie's clever addon seems legitimate, and he is in good standing with the moderators.

Now, let's get back to the business of discussing his results :)

Thanks Max!

I have completed the Remote Guardian configuration. I need to tweak the scripts a little bit and do a little more testing. I should have this thing ready for release tomorrow! I'll upload hte MLODs after I confirm no bugs etc. Maybe someone can make a static M134 MG nest. Wife's home from work now so I have to get off the computer :)

In the meantime, here are a few pics of the AI crew tearing it up!

rgsystem1.jpg

rgsystem2.jpg

oh might have to look at these attach to scripts, always wanted to add some extra firepower to the BIS UH1 or Mi8 :)

Nice job hcpookie!

.... reminds me of something I'd have done, once upon a time when I had spare time :(

Thank you so much, Gnat! I'm going to post the MLODs, so perhaps you could use them to make my addon obsolete... :)

@b00ce, nope not a turret! Remember this is an attached static gun, so you can't really interact with it from the cockpit or cargo seats. It is kind of like the WW2 belly gunner - once you climb in, you are there until you land again! :) In fact I don't think you can eject from a static vehicle. I need to check on that... edit to add you cannot eject from static vehicles, but I found a HALO script that adds the eject action to the gunner!

Also, here is the view from the gunner optic:

mfd.jpg

And here is what it looks like before it is attached to the vehicle... kind of takes the fun away doesn't it?

ext.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Really good work!

looking forward to test it.

This has the potential to be the greatest addon in the history of arma.

WHO DOESNT WANT TO ADD MINI GUNS TO THINGS

I have a few potential ideas for you next project if you want to shoot me a PM. I would be willing to help as much as possible but my skills are limited.

This could be added to so many things...

v1.0 Released! See first post...

Edit to add - for those having difficulty entering the IDWS gun, I agree completely it is a real pain trying to get into the stupid thing!

Here is the 'trick' to finding the entry points. Look up at the door or on the pilot side at the same point:

frontpoint.jpg

OR stand behind the left wheel:

rearpoint.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Grats on release mate ... going to try it out now.

Tell me .. is there a script only version ?