Sign in to follow this  
buliwyf

ARMA 2: OA beta build 86873

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[86851] Fixed: Vehicles attached on ships attached to objects sometimes destroyed (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/26668)

[86839] Fixed: Cannot manipulate doors after game was aborted with doors in transit. (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/26702)

[86737] New: Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing (FXAA), http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2oa.cfg

:rolleyes:

I can't say anything else than "U guys just rock"

The only devs in this world, who can make community happy years after game release.

Probably a bit technical but it explained to me what the difference between FXAA and MSAA is - Nvidia article (.pdf)

Not sure all the data, such as the preset options, are up-to-date however.

What would BI recommend as a default FXAA preset setting?

EDIT: Would it make any difference if I left the setting for FSAA on or would that cause problems?

Edited by colossus

Will FXAA and ATOC be added into the graphics settings menu ingame for 1.60 release?

Very unlikely, according to Dwarden.

That's a shame because the default activation of AToC seems to be the cause of lower performance and sparkling white dots for several users. While the solutions are simple (disable AA and/or disable AToC) and I'm sure this setting works wonders for some, it seems quite an ambitious to have activated by default. Especially as most users don't even know it exists let alone how to de-activate it.

PS Brilliant work on the betas. I've never defended, supported and promoted a developer as much as I have for BIS.

That's a shame because the default activation of AToC seems to be the cause of lower performance and sparkling white dots for several users. While the solutions are simple (disable AA and/or disable AToC) and I'm sure this setting works wonders for some, it seems quite an ambitious to have activated by default. Especially as most users don't even know it exists let alone how to de-activate it.

PS Brilliant work on the betas. I've never defended, supported and promoted a developer as much as I have for BIS.

So vote for disabling atoc by default; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/26716

does that mean the higher the number is the more you can see the effect? dont want to try all numbers:rolleyes:

does that mean the higher the number is the more you can see the effect? dont want to try all numbers:rolleyes:

Could be like: 1 = fps 60, and 17 = fps 0 ... :D

Yes, ATOC should be disabled by default.

It'd still be great for that dialog to be edited to include the new graphics settings right in game.

Probably a bit technical but it explained to me what the difference between FXAA and MSAA is - Nvidia article (.pdf)

Not sure all the data, such as the preset options, are up-to-date however.

What would BI recommend as a default FXAA preset setting?

EDIT: Would it make any difference if I left the setting for FSAA on or would that cause problems?

I would like to know what all the presets do too, hope fully they will be included in the readme or on the wiki when the patch is out.

As to using both MSAA and FXAA, I don't think there would be any advantage. As far as I can see you would probably just sacrifice performance (albeit minimal) with no visual difference. You are essentially just putting AA on top of AA. I have not tried myself though.

The single best thing about this AA method is that it looks almost as good as 4xMSAA with much less of a performance hit than even 2x MSAA. It's also an AA method that does not cause little white dots on OA(Takistani) foliage like in game MSAA does.

It seems this new type of AA (applied in a Post effect) is getting quite popular and FXAA is just the start. I hear there is also another version called SMAA that is more accurate, but similar. Hope BIS continues to keep there ear to the ground and add more of this sort of stuff to Arma3 too.

Thanks for including this FXAA method, it makes a big, big difference for me.

Edited by -=seany=-

Could be like: 1 = fps 60, and 17 = fps 0 ... :D

60 fps on 17 setting.

So maybe higher isn't stronger AA?

Also FXAA let u play normally while laying in the grass and zoom... no FPS drops, because it's not full screen aa and no atoc.

mh im playing with atoc on 7 and AA & AF very high & that new FXAA still 30 FPS or did i understand it wrong and its meant to be turned off if FXAA is on? :confused:

mh im playing with atoc on 7 and AA & AF very high & that new FXAA still 30 FPS or did i understand it wrong and its meant to be turned off if FXAA is on? :confused:

Yes FXAA is meant as an Alternate type of AA. If the existing AA gives you too much performance impact etc you disable in game AA and use this FXAA.

There is probably no point in using it if your happy with your performance and are using very high in game MSAA settings.

Also, If you like to use ATOC there is no point in using FXAA. This is beacuse to have ATOC you also need to have In Game AA enabled. Which you wont if your using FXAA.

Edited by -=seany=-

ah ok, thx for the clerification. well yea, so no point for me, thats what i bought my gtx570 for, pure atoc :D

@Coffeecat: You use AToC on a 570? I was using it on a my GTX 280 SLI setup and I got all those weird white dots all over everything. I get the same thing with the 570. Do you use AToC=7 or some other setting? Because it looks awful when I use it.

Also, question: Does the proper implementation of FXAA get rid of the text artifacting that the injector caused?

Also, If you like to use ATOC there is no point in using FXAA. This is beacuse to have ATOC you also need to have In Game AA enabled. Which you wont if your using FXAA.

Why? I havent tried the new Beta yet( Jaylib is my master). But there should be no reason you cant run both?

Here is some great reading on AA;

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55634

And the author of SMAA in the same thread;

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1596576&postcount=1105

In that thread has at least 8 or 9 Devs

As to using both MSAA and FXAA, I don't think there would be any advantage. As far as I can see you would probably just sacrifice performance (albeit minimal) with no visual difference. You are essentially just putting AA on top of AA.

It makes sense to use them both, as FXAA is a lot better in smoothing some edges, while MSAA solved some subpixels artifacts better (and allows ATOC).

...Do you use AToC=7 or some other setting? Because it looks awful when I use it.

Use more in game AA, maybe #6?

I think i can say i also see a small difference using ATOC 7 and FXAA. Things looking a bit smoother overall and i dont have a great impact on performance.

Only problem i got with my Gtx570 is that trees flickering a bit in the distance, but atoc 7 runs fine on very high for me.

Image quality is mint with 200% 3D res (4x SSAA, right?), very high antialiasing and FXAA enabled (have it on 4 right now). Looks absolutely amazing... unfortunately it also renders the game completely unplayable for me. :D

maxaa01.jpg

Does this also apply AA to shadows? Shadows on high and very high aren't such an issue, vehicle shadows however are always jagged it seems..sorry to ask this, I'd test it myself but not currently availible.

Why? I haven't tried the new Beta yet( Jaylib is my master). But there should be no reason you cant run both?

Here is some great reading on AA;

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55634

And the author of SMAA in the same thread;

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1596576&postcount=1105

In that thread has at least 8 or 9 Devs

You can run both ATOC (with in game AA enabled) and FXAA, just I didn't think it was worth it. I also said I had not tried it myself. But as you see what Suma posted, it looks as though it may be worth running both for some people. Which is good.

What you can't do is have ATOC on with In game MSAA off and FXAA on- all that will do is if give FXAA. Basically ATOC has to be applied to AA, but due to the way FXAA is applied, it wont work with ATOC.

Edited by -=seany=-

i think the FXAA will be ideal if sharpen filter was available as optional (it's now available in the FXAA via d3d9.dll only)

also sorry for not telling You about the beta sooner as was out of the internet reach after it went into compile :)

please report now all crashes You experience it's very important