Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

Community Update No. 3

This is the second update I have done. I consider it the third community update because b101_uk recently released some excellent modifications that are included in this update. I basically took his work and added to it. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Click on the link and simply unzip this folder into your TOH root folder and enjoy the new flight dynamics.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bgdihcqukjdlysz

A great big thanks to everyone who has helped me do this. And if I get positive feedback, I will move on to working on the medium and heavy helo's next.

Enjoy!

thanks for your effort.

unzip in toh root folder but ... directory is as follows : hsim/hsim/HSim/Air_US_H/Helicopters_Light

I have to assume one too many hsim folders here?

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;2064631']thanks for your effort.

unzip in toh root folder but ... directory is as follows : hsim/hsim/HSim/Air_US_H/Helicopters_Light

I have to assume one too many hsim folders here?

How the hell did that happen?

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

Ok... here's a NEW link. This one you just unzip and copy into your root TOH folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cq5tdfzqdet6lj2

nightsta1ker, please tell me you can overcome 100% collective at liftoff with 100% left pedal?

if this is not the case, then I fear keyboard/mouse users should shy away from this mod, sorry.

thanks for this nightsta1ker. Appreciate the effort and experience this must take. Cant wait to get to give it a try. have put TKOH while waiting for FM to get sorted.

:)

-Ziggy-;2064634']nightsta1ker' date=' please tell me you can overcome 100% collective at liftoff with 100% left pedal?

if this is not the case, then I fear keyboard/mouse users should shy away from this mod, sorry.[/quote']

I have never once in my flying career pulled 100% of the collective pitch while the rotors were turning. Probably never more than about 50 percent in fact, and possibly even less than that. Personally, I am not happy with the way torque induced yaw is modeled. I am sure there is some parameter I can change to make it feel right, but I have not found it yet. I CAN however put out another mod that reduces the yaw some for the mouse and keyboard users, but not tonight.

before i go into my observations i just want to thank you for your work hard even though you have a limited amount of time. so after i unzipped it to my toh root directory it had absolutely no effect. then i decided to unpack the original pbo and just replaced the files you worked on and repack it and put it into a mod folder called @nslite and loaded the game. so it seems there's not too much difference for me between the original and this one for some reason, maybe i unpacked it wrong or something. seems i get less descend rate with full down collective with this one than your original and still no translating tendency. also is there a way for you to reduce the ground effect even further so that it's almost zero? because as i come to a hover infront of a house then stabilize. i slowly creep forward towards the roof my helo still bounces up once the center point of my main rotor shaft hits the roof of the house. also as far as torque goes i think if you add some weight to the helo fm it'll be pretty good because as it is right now when i take off i don't need pedals but if i pull up collective quite a bit more then that's when i see my nose yawing to the right. plus i don't think a real md500 can take off with 35-40% or so power with 2 passengers in the front seat. it's really one stone two birds type of thing because with added weight=more descend rate as well. there's still the nose up right roll when i pull high pitch/collective not sure if it's fixable at this point.

If you do not use the config.bin file that was with the xml then the effective power at rotor is too high giving ~450hp vs. ~375hp.

So you may want to look into making sure the config.bin and xml are paired up correctly, or not being overridden by something in the Hsim folder if you have put the config.bin/xml elsewhere, as they may be overiden by what is in your \hsim\\\ folder

If you do not use the config.bin file that was with the xml then the effective power at rotor is too high giving ~450hp vs. ~375hp.

So you may want to look into making sure the config.bin and xml are paired up correctly, or not being overridden by something in the Hsim folder if you have put the config.bin/xml elsewhere, as they may be overiden by what is in your \hsim\\\ folder

yeah i basically replaced the config.bin and xml with nightstalker's version when i unpacked it.

I have never once in my flying career pulled 100% of the collective pitch while the rotors were turning. Probably never more than about 50 percent in fact, and possibly even less than that. Personally, I am not happy with the way torque induced yaw is modeled. I am sure there is some parameter I can change to make it feel right, but I have not found it yet. I CAN however put out another mod that reduces the yaw some for the mouse and keyboard users, but not tonight.

yes I understand that, but please realize I don't wish for you to tailor your efforts to mouse/keyboard control.

I think you should continue to focus on how the XML file affects YOUR controls and make it as comfortable for you as possible, not mine, but I thank you for your effort anyway! :cool:

My K/M controls consist of 0, 50% or 100% collective at any one time, and I effect control with tapping buttons for full or zero collective. When I take off and press Q, I cannot counter the right yaw even with maximum left pedal, and 50% barely gets off the ground with the modified torque.(which I assume is from b101_uk's edit?)

Cool, thanks for all the efforts guys. Will try to test it tonight!

Ok... here's a NEW link. This one you just unzip and copy into your root TOH folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cq5tdfzqdet6lj2

Could you also please edit your first post with the correct link? And maybe add if users need to backup anything or not? Just to help those who are new to installing these new FM models (like me :) )

Hello I've used repacked pbo file with Nighstalkers first update from the other thread, now when I put new files intro TOH root I don't have enough left pedal to compensate for torque. I just spin arround and eventually crash. Can anyone help?

Sam

EDIT:

NVM It must be some controlls releated problem as it is now gone and I get other strange behaviour with heli.

Problems solved. Dunno why, but I had to recalibrate my joystick couple times as it keps loosing center point.

Torque inducted yaw is finally really there. This is the most anticipated feature by me, glad we got it! Autorotations are so much easier than before. Aircraft maintains high rotor rpm if I decent with collective full down, co I can actually lift and land again after finishing flare with touchdown. Back to flying:)

Thank You guys for Your awesome work!

Edited by SamB

Hello I've used repacked pbo file with Nighstalkers first update from the other thread, now when I put new files intro TOH root I don't have enough left pedal to compensate for torque. I just spin arround and eventually crash. Can anyone help?

Sam

EDIT:

NVM It must be some controlls releated problem as it is now gone and I get other strange behaviour with heli.

really? i have the opposite problem, there's no torque at all. maybe with the changes it's different for everyone?

I had the problem for few minutes, and then suddenly in the middle of the flight it was gone. Litereally... Then I kept loosing center point of joystick, had to recalibrate it 4- 5 times. Now everything seems to be ok. I used PBO file with Nightstalkers first update in it, maybe that was a problem at the beginning. But I can tell one thing- there surely is a torque and it's lot's of fun compensating for it.

Sam

i have a ton of Torque with just your file MD,to the point i have hardly any left rudder pedal ,i can fly and turn with just pitch alone,to the right,anything over say around 60% to 100% just spins the chopper around to the right with full left rudder.at 50% below its better but still riding the left pedal a heap like constantly ,i actually find it nearly imposable to fly the helicopter smoothly at all,trimmed in forward flight and hovering trimed,the left pedal is week as like slight turn with hard left ,there seems to me there is far to much torque? like below 60% below 50% ,but yeah above 60% to 100%% i would expect a big hit in torque as you hardly would ever go there ,i will have to show you in a server or via a video,but as far as every thing else gos its seems ok chopper is responsive,its just the torque is huge for me ???

but also another thing if i could control my RPM that would make a huge difference as im use to setting my RPM to suit or compensate torque that would be a huge + but i haven't ever been able to set a throttle to anything on my x 52 ???

keep up the great works lads

Edited by AZY

AZY if You want to fly together I can do a quick multi fly for 15- 20 min if You wish.

Md500 enthusiast: if you are not seeing changes then you must not have installed the files correctly. Make sure that you put the right folder in your root TOH folder. All the files within the HSim folder need to stay where they are. Just drop HSim into your root directory and that's it.

Regarding everyone elses issues with yaw. I feel it's excessive and I am going to work on it some more tonight. I just can't find a happy balance. It's either too weak or too strong, and I notice that when power is off there is an excessive amount of transmission drag requiring a ton of right pedal. And I also noticed that translating tendency (the tail rotor pushing the helicopter sideways) is extreme and noticeable in forward flight when it should not be. I don't know how to fix these issues yet but I'm working on it. There will be another update.

Thanks for your feedback and your patience.

@NS

I find yaw balance just allright, i actually love it the way it is. The issue with translating tendency is another story, have to compesate for it with cyclic a lot. But overall I'd say if You could fix the latter one w/ o modyfying the first, it'd be great. Also what's Your view on autorotation with throttle cut? I can land, take off and land again (!). I know it is possible with Hueys heavy rotors, but should light heli be capable of this?

Sam

Edited by SamB

As Ziggy noted, this mod FM is 100% unworkable for kb/mouse. Left pedal does not work at all on takeoff to counteract 50-100% collective. You spin to right uncontrollably.

OMAC, I did all of my mods for maximum realism with a joystick or flight controls. I did not test, nor do I have any intention of testing with keyboard and mouse. As I told ziggy, I CAN put out a second mod specifically for keyboard/mouse users. But some realism will be sacrificed. Helicopters are not meant to be flown with a keyboard and mouse. You don't pull 50-100 collective, if you do, bad things will happen.

SamB, I will revisit it tonight after work and see what I can do. I would like to see more EFFECTIVE pedal with more TIY effect. Right now I am simulating TIY with reduced pedal authority and that's not correct.

-Ziggy-;2064664']yes I understand that' date=' but [b']please realize I don't wish for you to tailor your efforts to mouse/keyboard control.[/b]

I think you should continue to focus on how the XML file affects YOUR controls and make it as comfortable for you as possible, not mine, but I thank you for your effort anyway! :cool:

don't worry about us keyboard/mouse posers ;) :D

-Ziggy-;2064664']My K/M controls consist of 0' date=' 50% or 100% collective at any one time, and I effect control with tapping buttons for full or zero collective.[/quote']

Are many keyboards users using such setup? Default setup seems to be different, allowing you to control collective smoothly (at the expense of the longer time going from 0 to 100 %).

Thanks for this mod Night and other contributers, havent had a chance to try this game yet

and i will surely get into it now

I hope it lives up to expectations. It certainly feels more realistic to me on my setup, but mileage seems to vary.

Are many keyboards users using such setup? Default setup seems to be different, allowing you to control collective smoothly (at the expense of the longer time going from 0 to 100 %).

When I used that default setup, I spent more time chasing the helicopter around instead of controlling it. With my current setup I am able to demonstrate great control.

Perhaps I would find it more useful if the speed in which it changes was quicker...