Sign in to follow this  
Colossus

Take On Demo!

Take On Helicopters demo lifts off today! (article)

Today Bohemia Interactive has released a demo-version of their brand new helicopter game: Take On Helicopters. The game offers an authentic helicopter flight experience, while bringing several other innovations to the flight sim genre.

For example, players are able to get out of their helicopter and explore the thousands of km² wide terrains on foot. Plus the game includes an engaging story-driven career mode, which is set around the fictional Seattle-based family business Larkin Aviation. Missions range from filming whales for ocean-life scientists, to flying in formation in a veteran’s air show and assisting SWAT fast-roping operations on the roofs of Seattle skyscrapers. The demo gives a great taste of the unique array of helicopter gameplay featured in the full version of the game.

Players will be able to enjoy a generous variety of demo content, all playable above a huge section of the Seattle terrain:

• Free Flight mode
  • Light and medium helicopters
  • 30 x 30 km section of the Seattle terrain
  • 2 singleplayer scenarios
  • 3 time trial courses
  • 3 training scenarios
  • 1 multiplayer scenario
  • A powerful 2D scenario editor (limited version, does not allow saving or loading)

Download links are here! :) Edited by colossus

If anyone downloads the torrent version can you please seed, it downloading at....slow

Thank you all for the extra mirrors! I almost choked when I was faced with 9 hours to DL; found a closer/faster mirror now, will be flying around the city in less than 2 hours.

This is gonna be awesome! Thanks!

For all euros the Tier1 #1 should be the fastest avaible. Dedicated box on 1 Gbit. I got it with 60 MB/s in the test DL. :)

I dl the demo, started it up and flew a sheriffs helo from the airport to my home town just south of there. I landed by the marina not knowing what to expect but there was no city or landmarks. The street maps were there so I ran to my house and saw what looked like faint outlines of my driveway and house, the same for all the homes on my street. It all felt very strange to say the least.

I dl the demo, started it up and flew a sheriffs helo from the airport to my home town just south of there. I landed by the marina not knowing what to expect but there was no city or landmarks. The street maps were there so I ran to my house and saw what looked like faint outlines of my driveway and house, the same for all the homes on my street. It all felt very strange to say the least.

Well you can't expect it to be moddeled 100%. The scale is not 1:1 as well.

The problem here is to stuff all the objects into that map. It's mainly a satmap that's been rendered to the ground. Imagine a lot more objects like road objects, more trees, all houses, etc to be processed. That'll kill every end-customer rig that'll be avaible within the next years. :)

And after all it's a flight sim, not a "walk to your house" sim. Alltough I would have done the same. :)

I liked it. Very generous demo in fact. But it's not my type of game and I don't see how I can possible exploit this to the fullest without a joystick.

I stubbled upon an old ArmA 2 annoyance though. Blurry textures and LOD loss. Seems to be happening exactly the same way as ArmA 2, which is when you're in an area of a lot of textures/buildings/objects. Flying away from the area doesn't seems to help and neither does the 'FLUSH' command. Basically you need to restart the game to dump all that information.

I don't know what causes this, but tweaking the settings should probably help. ;)

possibly the best looking and most immesrive game around - definitely worth getting the demo. i recommend joystick but have seen others using keyboard and mouse with really good results.

Seems like it has a lot of potential, but when I got to the training mission where I had to fly through all the rings, my helicopter would snap back to its original facing no matter what button I pushed. Guess I missed something important in the previous sections.