Sign in to follow this  
Sekra

Limit parts of the forums (maybe other sites like BIKI) to game buyers only

If nothing else, I am tempted to believe such sections may be more pleasant area of the forumsl.

People keep paying for your game with no other goal than to annoy your customers online and you think they'll be more cordial on a forum? Hardly. :p Having to pay for something online will never lead to people being more friendly or helpful there. Trolls are perfectly happy to pay to play and ruin everyone's experience. Even more so since we all paid to be there.

This is a horrible idea. In many communities some of the most helpful people don't even own the game at all yet still contribute more than most customers (Subsim being the leading example of that).

This is a horrible idea. In many communities some of the most helpful people don't even own the game at all yet still contribute more than most customers (Subsim being the leading example of that).

I fully agree. Dwarden's suggestion would be harmless though.

Yeah, I really would love to enter all the BIS keys I have (OFP,ArmA,ArmA:QG,ArmA2,ArmA2:OA,BAF,PMC,TOH = 8 keys) for...well...nothing ^^

Yeah, I really would love to enter all the BIS keys I have (OFP,ArmA,ArmA:QG,ArmA2,ArmA2:OA,BAF,PMC,TOH = 8 keys) for...well...nothing ^^

Especially cool if BI´s db might get hacked and all your keys get blacklisted due to some fools going online with´em :Oo:

Especially cool if BI´s db might get hacked and all your keys get blacklisted due to some fools going online with´em :Oo:

Because that couldn't already happen to Sprocket users if that got hacked... :rolleyes:

Because that couldn't already happen to Sprocket users if that got hacked... :rolleyes:

Any online publisher can suffer such a fate. But they usually take precautions to prevent that. If these forums would start to do so, there would be a whole lot of holes to fix and it would take time before the idea could be implemented without concern.

I dislike the idea. Very much so, in fact.

So, I was just reading this thread. The thing was that the user in question couldn't activate his *legally* purchased CD key. Now, because he couldn't do that and wanted tech support from the forums, all he had to do was register and ask.

If this system was implemented, that user couldn't register, couldn't ask and would get nothing and probably be deterred from ever buying another Arma game, considering it a waste of money.

That's it.

Well I disagree with this. One of the things I use to do before buying a game (and I did before buying A2 or Arrowhead) is peek through the sections of the official forum reading how buggy it is (looking in tech support) or cheking if there are nice mods avaiable.

One of the things that decided me to buy A2 was seeing all the mods created just a week after release. On the other hand, i'm planning to buy, for example, paradox's HOI3, but as i cant see avaiable mods nor look at tech forums (i have heard bad things about their paid parches :j: but i cant confirm nor deny them), i'm restraining for it.

TL;DR : No to restrictions, seriously.

Seriously. Aside from stroking your (Orginal Poster's) ego what on earth would it accomplish? Its not like ARMA2 is plagued by 12 year olds that go trolling on the forums.

If the argument is to keep threads of higher quality the solution is equally obvious. Only allow registered CD-key holders to POST on certain forums-- but everyone to READ them.

-k

If the argument is to keep threads of higher quality the solution is equally obvious. Only allow registered CD-key holders to POST on certain forums-- but everyone to READ them.

Maybe I misinterpreted the first post, but I thought that was exactly what was being suggested. :confused:

- The whole forums remain readable to all.

- Parts of the forum can only be posted in by registered customers.

- The rest of the forum remains open for posting by anyone.

Making the whole forum private and exclusive to customers would indeed be stupid.

Maybe I misinterpreted the first post, but I thought that was exactly what was being suggested. :confused:

- The whole forums remain readable to all.

- Parts of the forum can only be posted in by registered customers.

- The rest of the forum remains open for posting by anyone.

Making the whole forum private and exclusive to customers would indeed be stupid.

yes, i would have gathered the same...and have NOthing against it

BIS could also establish + enforce stricter rules and increase moderator care/service... Just an idea that works without too much trouble and is easier to maintain. :)