Sign in to follow this  
Defunkt

Casus Belli (Cry Engine Shooter)

Have been following this mod for some time and thought it might appeal to some ArmA players as it has just moved from closed to open beta. Also think it might need some extra pimpage based on the fact that a lot of its potential audience will be wrapped up in BF3 right now.

I've not actually played it yet (test server has been empty each time I've looked over the past day but there are scheduled playtests) but I believe the core gamemode is AAS. The maps are generally both massive (by shooter standards) and beautiful (by any standard).

The creators of the mod appear open to the idea of others developing expansions based on their core: "All Casus Belli new features can easily be configured via xml files, giving the opportunity for other modding teams to create their own new gameplay or historical background". I'd love to see somebody do a Middle East treatment.

You can play this with the free Crysis Wars Trial patched to 1.5.

Contemplating hosting this on a North American server.

http://www.casusbelli-mod.com/main/

th_ScreenShot0001.jpgth_ScreenShot0003-1.jpgth_ScreenShot0008.jpgth_ScreenShot0007.jpg

D-ZVjq8Vc4s

Edited by Defunkt

Looks very nice, and the weapons seem to work quite well too. Kind of reminds me of the first shots I saw of Stalker way back in the mists of time :)

Why does it have godrays out of every ass

I ask myself the same thing with pretty much every CryEngine game.

Looks cool, great for a mod, be interesting to see what the gameplay is like... Stalker definitely comes to mind looking at it.

Are there any torrents for the installer anywhere?

Both download sites are slow as heck and keep timing out for me.

Edited by jblackrupert

Yeah it's very slow to download (the mirror is the better of the two), they're looking for a faster host and somebody else has posted requesting a torrent. Not sure there has been progress on either.

08FD0sWG4Ak

Edited by Defunkt

I've found Firefox to be a bit rubbish for downloading. Still it might only be one, test the MD5 checksums using Microsoft FCIV:

casusbelli-setup.part1.rar 88f51dc51dd8102b964aa094bcf5f5da

casusbelli-setup.part2.rar f7533b61b8b36eaf5e40fc41ec7030f0

casusbelli-setup.part3.rar 52cb8710f237490ba8d8b5b015177101

casusbelli-setup.part4.rar 281a471fa789cd7f3dffaee5fb261250

casusbelli-setup.part5.rar fb9c8d4f6ced7d593fea86f1e861a380

casusbelli-setup.part6.rar 8ffb0ee1c1b92e25b057c5cb966f75d8

casusbelli-setup.part7.rar e91a46423d1849975032a4ef5fa4101c

I think I heard some Source sound effects. Does ArmA hog all the good sound modders?

More like Crysis is one of those many games which people complete in an evening and forget forever, moving onto the next pop-corn game. Naturally that includes many would-be modders

More like Crysis is one of those many games which people complete in an evening and forget forever, moving onto the next pop-corn game. Naturally that includes many would-be modders

We get it. It's not ArmA, and therefore rubbish :)

I downloaded all the RAR's and got nothing but corrupted files.

That was using Firefox.

Perhaps the archives aren't corrupted, but created with a later version. Try downloading the latest WinRAR or 7-zip.

We get it. It's not ArmA, and therefore rubbish :)

glad its not just me whos getting tired of that "nothing else could possibly be worth playing" attitude....

glad its not just me whos getting tired of that "nothing else could possibly be worth playing" attitude....

Yea, it's alot of that in this forum :) Crysis was actually the game that brought me in to the pc world and eventually made me find Arma ;)

I enjoyed Crysis for what it was. Up to the point where the aliens arrived, then I lost interest, but up until then, I kind of enjoyed it :) Very good world interaction, even if it wasn't quite as "open" as the devs would have us believe.

This mod looks interesting, but I doubt I will get the game just to try it out :D

Thats what happened to me as well -aliens ruined the day just like Half Life *weeps for fighting Marines memories*

Sooo, how is this game?

I enjoyed Crysis for what it was. Up to the point where the aliens arrived, then I lost interest, but up until then, I kind of enjoyed it :) Very good world interaction, even if it wasn't quite as "open" as the devs would have us believe.

This mod looks interesting, but I doubt I will get the game just to try it out :D

I found the alien part good aswell, just a real shame it doesn't use the same brilliant AI that the North Koreans use. The gameplay became bad since you mostly had to rambo your way out when you had contact with the aliens.

Gnat;2064782']Um? Is this stand-alone or you require one of the Cry games?

Apparently you can run it with the free Crysis Wars Trial patched to Update 1.5.

Sooo' date=' how is this game?[/quote']

I've only had one very brief/small game and my impression is that it could be awesome but right now it's not sufficiently hardcore for me (and I suspect most ArmA players), damage in particular is a bit on the light side. I started a thread on their forums proposing some server-side 'hardcore' options and they have stickied it for discussion prior to implemeting whatever is the consensus in time for their next playtest.

Thats what happened to me as well -aliens ruined the day just like Half Life *weeps for fighting Marines memories*

Sooo, how is this game?

They ruined the game for me too. Mainly because of their really simple AI. It was fun to play hide and seek with the Koreans :)