Sign in to follow this  
cleggy

Do proxies need/use multiple res LODS?

As I'm getting in to the use of proxies on vehicles the question springs to mind:

Do I need to model multiple res LODs in my proxy model?

Are they neccessary and do they get used?

Thanks in advance for any help.

yes, you do. and yes they get used. In fact you'd need all the other lods as well (geo, shadow etc)

Yep. They must have the proper LODs and they must also be placed in the LODs of the main model to take advantage of them. For instance, if the proxy model has a shadowLOD, the shadow won't work unless the proxy object is in the shadowLOD of the main model.

Thanks for the info, gents.

I had hoped I could get away with a bit less modelling ... not the case then.

Always looking for an easy option!

If the proxy has only once resLOD, only one will display, but it will display for all distanced AFAIK.

@Max- though I don't want to hi-jack this thread, my question does pertain to the multiple lods theme here. Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains in greater detail how to setup the different lods (geo, shadow, fire, etc)? I know Gnat's video explains what they are, but I haven't seen here in the forums exactly how to do them one by one (if there even is such a thing)

Thanks

there isn't such a thing.

Your best bet would be to look over A1 samples and get the information out of there and the wiki...

That is until someone (me included) gets the time to create such a tutorial in the first place.

It should be pretty easy either way. The most complicated thing in O2 is setting up animations, and maybe the mem lod since there are selections that require a specific czech naming convention

Ok, thanks PuFu for the reply. I do have the sample models, and after posting my first post, I was thinking maybe I should re-visit Gnat's tutorials where he explains them.

At the same time, if you get time on of these days, any help would be appreciated in this area.

Cheers

I have a question about this to, which is pretty much like the original one but not.

I have my main model and a proxy both have multiple lods, but it still only shows lod1 from the proxy at all distances. and buldozer always show the lod1 proxy object on all lods.

you need to insert proxy in each individual res lod anyways. The engine will know which res lod from the proxy to use by itself

Edited by PuFu