Sign in to follow this  
Nielsen

Civilian Interaction Module (beta)

Made a quick tutorial on how to set it all up if anyone is having a hard time. Also actual game play footage video is on it's way. Great module, look forward to more in the future..

Click to check out tutorial:

Edited by clements

My hat's off to you for 0.22 CIM. I loved the non hostile armed civvies and the shouting in "Gathering". I really had to think hard about how to clear the area safely prior to EOD (the noise and confusion didn't help).

Side note: Maybe you can include a simple Editor template with your next release for those who are less talented working with the init field/markers.

@clements: Sweet! You guys rock. Looking forward to the game play footage!

@yanhchan: Thanks man! I was'nt sure if people would like the concept of the 'Reaction module'. I just felt it would be usefull as quick ambience when making missions.

Regarding a template. clements video above should help. I am a little worried that with a mission template people wont bother to read through the readme (who reads a manual if they can help it?), and they will end up having problems with it. But I know how concrete mission examples can be much more intuitive than commands in a readme. I'll make sure to do a quick template.

On a general note

I have realized that the CRM currently requires CIM to also be present. Otherwise some events wont work (see Raptor 6 above). I will fix this for the next update. Until then the CRM should not be run without the CIM.

Real worth while addon this 1 with some great features credit to you nielson I have an idea or 2.

1 Civ spotter\dicker gets on a motorbike moves gets off gets binos out changes waypoints 2-3 times gets back on bike moves to another postion to watch carries radio or mobile has map and binos classed as illegal for arrest ability

2 bombmakers random civs carrying banned items for bomb manufacture can be arrested if found carrying items

3 large amounts of cash or drugs or guns in civs car boots have a cargo of drugs or guns or money once stopped check cargo of car boot if found arrest

4 when a civ gets killed have the civ woman come over to the body neal and cry over it so any civs killed this may or may not happen like the massacer bit you have

5 civ taliban mounted motorbike patrols or taliban mounted pickup's where they all are in the back of pick up rollin round lookin for a fight

Hope there not to bad ideas.

@SmokeDog:

Thanks dude. Appreciate it. Let it be know that your Sangin/hells Kitchen map is currently my favorite map. Everyone should make sure to try it out. (btw: Your screenshots are in the making I am told).

Regarding your ideas:

1 & 5: Those are cool ideas. It would be another level of ambience. I'll think about how it can be implemented. It will probably take some time before I can implement it though.

2 & 3: I actually just implemented those last night. I have replaced the "evidence" feature, with a new feature that (re-)configures the ALICE module to make civs more varied. (i.e. they dont all carry maps and radios). With this, all ALICE civs will have a custom chance of being armed - though not hostile - and a chance to carry "evidence" items or explosives.

4: I like this idea, and as I have already made the FSM for the "massacre" feature, it is very feasible. But that would require a 'killed' eventhandler on ALL civilians. I'm not sure if that would result in a noticable performance hit, but I dont think it will be a problem. It should not be complicated to implement. I will give it some thought.

@psvialli:

I agree that would be a cool feature. It has ben tempting to make suicide bombers and VBIEDs, as they are obvious civilian-like hazards. But I need to limit the scope of the addon, and I do not want to encroach on the territory of other mods, that do these features much better. For now, I will leave the exploding parts to the EOD/IED mods out there.

I have 5 groups with Team leaders in each Group (MP) would I need to syn it to each Group or just 1 group fot it to work ?

Also does everyone need to have the addon or is it server side ?

Edited by psvialli

The 'Interaction Module' does not have to be synced. Just put in down in the editor. The 'Extraction' module only has to be synced with one unit - to indicate player side.

The 'Reaction' module needs to be synced with group leaders of any and all groups that should trigger civilian events. Only the group leader though.

It requires clients to have the addon installed. (I will consider making a script version when the addon is closer to completion).

So, stupid question here. With the addon in my commandline, does it autoenable all these lovely features WITHOUT syncing modules to things ?

If not ... would be superb if autoenabled :)

@Kremator: Not totally sure if I understand you correctly. You need to put down the modules (in editor) for them to work of course. CIM wont work in missions without the modules. But the 'Reaction Module' features will work without sync if you call them by command:

event_return = ["crm_newEvent",[true,"eventType",position,multiplier]] call CBA_fnc_publicVariable;

The sync is only needed to check if players are close to "event markers".

If you want a specific event on a specific location you can use the above command to call it from, say, a trigger.

EDIT: I could of course make the addon without modules so it just works "out of the box", but that would drain computer ressources, and force people to turn the CIM on/off depending on the mission they want to play. That's why I went with the module approach, so I can have the addon loaded as standard without worrying about ressources.

Edited by Nielsen

Ahhh I see. What I was thinking was just running this addon with a whole series of other missions that contain civilians and it runs all the functions of CIM or RM (without the need to open them up and place modules and sync etc)

@Neilson cheers fella glad to help don't know if you have thought of it or not but got some taliban icon chatter samples if you need or can use them in any way they do sound good when in close contact with enemy

Hi just downloaded this today did place three modules down. Sync the reaction and extract and when preview upper right side it states CRM locations not set ? Did I forget something? Help

Hi just downloaded this today did place three modules down. Sync the reaction and extract and when preview upper right side it states CRM locations not set ? Did I forget something? Help

Did you read in the readme that you need to have at least one marker down called "crm_marker_1"???

In the CRM module, you need to have this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations",1];

The "1" in that line indicates that you have one marker down. If you have two, then it would be this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations", 2]; and so on and so forth.

Did you read in the readme that you need to have at least one marker down called "crm_marker_1"???

In the CRM module, you need to have this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations",1];

The "1" in that line indicates that you have one marker down. If you have two, then it would be this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations", 2]; and so on and so forth.

Ok great thanks but what CRM module do I put the setVariable in since their Three is it the Reaction or Interaction?

Ok great thanks but what CRM module do I put the setVariable in since their Three is it the Reaction or Interaction?

This is going to be for the Civilian Reaction Module (CRM), once it's placed on the map.

Let's say you have one location (marker) called crm_marker_1

Then, in the init line of the CRM module, you'll need to have all of this put in there (JUST AS AN EXAMPLE!!!!)

this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations", 1]; this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_events_chance",1]; this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_events_range", 500]; this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_events_multiplier", 1.2]; this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_events",["gathering"]];

You need the Civilian Extraction Module (CEM) if you want a helo to come and take your hostage away. You need the Civilian Interaction Module (CIM) placed on the map to make it ALL work, if I am correct. The CIM gives the player the ability to clear the area of civilians, get them to lay down, to search them, etc, etc, etc. Hope that helps a little

Allright. So, now I am back in business, with a little more time on my hands than the previous week...

@Kremator: Yeah I see. I realize the benefit of this, but it is pretty much a choice between two evils. At least for now, you will have to unpbo the missions and add the modules yourself.

@SmokeDog: Thanks. I'd like to check out that sample. I'll throw you a pm about it.

@Raptor 6 Actual: Thanks for helping out!

@SideKilla09: Just to clarify what Raptor 6 said. The only 'setVariable' that is actually required is the variable 'nielsen_crm_locations'. It has no standard value, to make you remember that you need locations for the events. Actually you do not have to put down any markers, but you do have to indicate to the module how many (if any) has been placed. If you wish to place no markers, and just handle/call the events with e.g. triggers, then you should just place the following in the init of the cRm module:

this setVariable ["nielsen_crm_locations",0];

You can still spawn any event on any position with the following code:

event_return = ["crm_newEvent",[true,"eventType",position,multiplier]] call CBA_fnc_publicVariable;

"EventType" = String with the wanted event type (e.g. "Random").

position = An array with a position (e.g. getPos Trigger1).

multiplier = The multiplier of number of spawned civs. This variable is optional and does not have to be there. (e.g. 0.8 = 20% less than normal, 1.5 = 50% more civs than normal).

Also, Raptor 6 i correct. Right now the cIm module is required to make it all work. This will be fixed for the next update.

Cheers

When you Post an future update can you include some example missons?

Sure thing :)

Hey there Nielsen. Very cool addon :) Thanks for the hard work. I added it to one of my SP mission where I'm hunting down a group if insurgents (I use UPSMON for this too) and when their leader gets killed, the civs start burning tires! lol. It added lots of life my mission. Next I want to added the ability to gather intel on his whereabouts from the civs.

One thing I noticed is that, since the civs start burning tires right when the boss dies, they kind of get in the middle of the fire fight.with the remaining rebels.. and if I'm not mistaken, some of the Insurgents were taking cover behind the poor bastards! So, needless to say, there were some collateral damage.. but I noticed that several of these tire burners turn to zombies rather than fall down and die! The are dead, but just stand there. lol.

... I noticed that several of these tire burners turn to zombies rather than fall down and die! The are dead, but just stand there. lol.

Thanks. Glad you are finding use of it :)

Hmm. So they do have the wounded texture, but they stand still and do not perform any animations - they just stand totally still?

Could you provide me with the .rpt file after reproducing this bug? Then I can take a look. (if you dont know where the file is look further above in the post :) ).

Yes, they are dead on their feet! lol. I'm not home now, but I can try to get the .rpt file this afternoon ;)

--

Also, I'm running various scripts for things such as getting the briefcase from boss, transport , support , and UPSMON (as mentioned) , so maybe some of my poor scripting is causing trouble. I'll try some testing to see if that could be part of the trouble.

Edited by smacker909

Thanks! I think I know what is causing this, and that I might have allready fixed it. I'll release a new version soon, and hope that will be fixed as well.