Sign in to follow this  
abs

[Tutorial] How to make vehicle models for ARMA2 using 3DS Max

Hi,

I'm Abs, a member of the September 1939 mod, and also modeller, unwrapper, and (pretty bad) texturer of the Star Trek Mod. Also, for a long time I was the only active member of the Operation Northstar mod, and have modelled many of the troops and vehicles found in the mod today.

In the Sept. 39 thread I had asked if anyone would be interested in the method that I use to model my vehicles, I received an answer of 'yes'. In this thread you will find a series of videos that I have created to demonstrate my modelling process and techniques. As I have stated in the first video, the scope of this series is just to show you how to setup the blueprints for modelling, creating your model in 3DS Max, (maybe, maybe I'll include the maddening process of UV mapping), and how to export your model from 3DS Max and import it into O2. Feel free to ask any questions you have, as I have 'subscribed' to this thread and will answer questions post haste.

Disclaimer: I make no claim that these methods are the right way to do things and that there are not any better ways. I have never taken an actual educational course in college or university, and modelling has been nothing but a hobby for me.

Tools Used

- 3DS Max 8

- Photoshop CS3

Video Tutorials

Video One: Blueprints

WE-WfP4Bf5M

Video Two: Blueprint Setup

RzfRx-ZfEpk

Video Two ProTips:

You can flip faces, no need to rotate them individually ;)

Video Three: Start Modelling

DkS64DJlfRI

Video Four: Body and Turret

bWt0JILC0Y4

Video Four ProTips:

in video 4 you backspace the edges and then the verts. If you use Ctrl+Backspace in the edges it will remove the verts in one go as well. I was so happy when I found that :) saves tons of time.

Video Five: Wheels

XhMQx6f71hE

General ProTips:

Here are some general ProTips. Please note that the ArmA2 Modding Toolbox is wonderful, and can be used with versions of 3DS Max that are version 9 and above.

Here are my few tips for all, what I am using. I hope they would be useful and optimize your workflow.

GENERAL:

- Recommended Soul_Assassin's ArmA2 Modding Toolbox for 3ds max

- Use Layers for better manage or split model in subparts (exterior, intererior, LODs, blueprint and reference layer)

MODELLING:

- model only half of model if it is symetric and can use Symmetry modifier (not Mirror)

For the most part, with the Symmetry modifier you have to option of welding together vertices that are close to the mirror axis and within the threshold distance (That is, you want it to be one solid mesh afterwards). Benefit from this is a cleaner modifier stack and a couple of saved clicks by not having to apply an Edit Poly modifier and weld together all the open edges afterwards. EDIT: Symmetry also auto-slices your mesh when the mirror axis intersects the mesh - again, saves you a couple clicks and serves for a cleaner mod stack.
If you have Symmetry modifier applied, main difference over mirror is whatever you will change on edit side, changes will also apply on mirrored side so you dont need to mirror half model after every change.

- use Slice or QuickSlice in Edit Geometry rollout

- for cylinder parts and wheels use 4,8,12,16,20,24,.. segment cylinders for easier simplifing mesh for LODs

- chamfer edges instead of extruding and scaling polys

Fill space between polys:

- select border and use Cap or

- select opposite edges and use Bridge

- for removing redundant edges with vertices use Ctrl+Backspace

in video 4 you backspace the edges and then the verts. If you use Ctrl+Backspace in the edges it will remove the verts in one go as well. I was so happy when I found that :) saves tons of time.

- use Tools-Array to create linear/circular copy or instance of selected object

useful hotkeys:

Alt+W - maximize/minimize viewport

Alt+A - Align object/vertices..

Alt+Q - Isolation mode

Alt+X - See through (transparent object)

q - select tools

w - move

e - rotate

r - scale

in Edit poly mode:

1 - Select vertices

2 - Select edges

3 - Select borders

4 - Select polys

5 - Select object

useful modifiers:

- Bend

- Latice

- Meshsmooth

- optimize - reducing mesh

- Shell - creating sheet metal parts

- Symmetry

- Sweep - sweep along line like pipes, etc.

Please note that the series is not finished, as I have become busy with real life for the foreseeable future. As soon as I start working on this vehicle again, I will continue making more videos.

Abs

Edited by Abs
Updating...

That´s great! Thank you :icon_dj:

I like the progress of modelling very much, but it´s very hard to create something when you have no clue how to start.

Guess there are a lot of people like me which are starting a projekt and get stuck at the half way.

That´s great! Thank you :icon_dj:

I like the progress of modelling very much, but it´s very hard to create something when you have no clue how to start.

Guess there are a lot of people like me which are starting a projekt and get stuck at the half way.

No worries, Baraka. This was made with people like you in mind. :)

Abs

This is great Abs, thanks! So many "beginner's" tutorials in programmes like 3DS max take too much for granted in terms of prior knowledge. Tutorials like this are exactly what beginner's need! Looking forward to the next installments.

:) Thanks guys. Video three is up...4 and 5 coming shortly.

Abs

nice effort abs. i really liked the noob friendly approach you took. There are few who have the patience to explain the most basic stuff in detail anymore :)

PS1: You video 3 has been removed for beeing too long

PS2: you can flip faces, no need to rotate them individually ;)

Thanks, PuFu. :) Your tip has been added in the ProTips section!

Gah! I'll have to fix the third video. Please be patient, gents.

Abs

Operative;2062059']Thanks for the tutorial. Will have to check it tomorrow' date=' but I will certainly watch it :)[/quote']

Sounds good. They should all be up by then. ;)

Abs

Hello Abs, i really appreciate your the effort for community.

I saw all videos and looking forward to upcoming..

Here are my few tips for all, what I am using. I hope they would be useful and optimize your workflow.

GENERAL:

- Use Layers for better manage or split model in subparts (exterior, intererior, LODs, blueprint and reference layer)

MODELLING:

- model only half of model if it is symetric and can use Symmetry modifier (not Mirror)

- for cylinder parts and wheels use 4,8,12,16,20,24,.. segment cylinders for easier simplifing mesh for LODs

useful hotkeys:

Alt+Q - Isolation mode

q - select tools

w - move

e - rotate

r - scale

in Edit poly mode:

1 - Select vertices

2 - Select edges

3 - Select borders

4 - Select polys

5 - Select object

useful modifiers:

- Bend

- Latice

- Meshsmooth

- Symmetry

Hello Abs, i really appreciate your the effort for community.

I saw all videos and looking forward to upcoming..

GENERAL:

MODELLING:

useful hotkeys:

Alt+Q - Isolation mode

q - select tools

w - move

e - rotate

r - scale

in Edit poly mode:

1 - Select vertices

2 - Select edges

3 - Select borders

4 - Select polys

5 - Select object

useful modifiers:

- Bend

- Latice

- Meshsmooth

- Symmetry

You've given me a lot to explore! Also, your post has been added to the ProTips section. :)

I do have a question already, though...why the symmetry over mirror? What's the difference?

Abs

[PS: Video three is up...that's all from me for now! Hope you all enjoy.]

For the most part, with the Symmetry modifier you have to option of welding together vertices that are close to the mirror axis and within the threshold distance (That is, you want it to be one solid mesh afterwards). Benefit from this is a cleaner modifier stack and a couple of saved clicks by not having to apply an Edit Poly modifier and weld together all the open edges afterwards. EDIT: Symmetry also auto-slices your mesh when the mirror axis intersects the mesh - again, saves you a couple clicks and serves for a cleaner mod stack.

Edited by jagheterjan

another tip:

Edit:

I see Yano already mentioned it :p

ok so something that hasnt been mentioned: Alt+N - normal align.

Edited by Soul_Assassin

thank you Abs for those very great and usefull videos. i think i love you now lol

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation, and I'll be sure to replace my 'mirror' button with the 'symmetry' one. :)

another tip:

Edit:

I see Yano already mentioned it :p

ok so something that hasnt been mentioned: Alt+N - normal align.

Thanks for the contribution, mate! Do you have a minute to explain what Alt+N does? I'll be sure to add it to the first post. :)

thank you Abs for those very great and usefull videos. i think i love you now lol

You mean you didn't before? :p :D

Abs

I do have a question already, though...why the symmetry over mirror? What's the difference?

If you have Symmetry modifier applied, main difference over mirror is whatever you will change on edit side, changes will also apply on mirrored side so you dont need to mirror half model after every change.

Of course jagheterjan mentioned another differences few posts before.

Reading the comments, I really learned some things. Will start tests with them soon ;)

I'm going to watch the tutorials now.

---

Watched the three first videos. Really helpful. Thanks for them Abs.

Maybe I should start moving (gradually) to higher poly models now, following the several tips I got from here.

Will watch the others later.

Edited by [GR]Operative

Of course jagheterjan mentioned another differences few posts before.

not only that, when you use the mirror tool, the part that is mirrored will have inverted normals, and if you not fix this before export you will suffer later in O2. To fix the normals you have to collapse XForm (you will see the faces then), convert to editable poly and flip the affected faces. Symmetry does not have this, and overall is a superior tool imho.

Alt-N very simple. Press Alt+N, click on a face of object 1 and on a face of object 2. Object 1 will be magically teleported to sit on the surface of object 2 with the normals aligned.

I think I will try to make a video with like top 10 tips or something, for things that make my life easier :)

Edited by Soul_Assassin

More useful shortcuts

SHIFT+A - quick align

SHIFT+X - (default) changes in the polygon subobject (or edit poly for that matter) the constrains from none to edges (from the available constrains: none, edges, faces, normals - available from max2009 onwards).

7 - HUD statistics

0 - render to texture

X - show/hide gizmo

S - snap toggle on off

O - adaptive degradation (shows viewport objects as bounding boxes on interation - movement, rotation etc)

H - select from list

I - center viewport on mouse position (yeah, well, it would have been better to be able to pan as you want, but this remains from older versions. I suggest you set you max from preferences - viewports - mouse control <down right side> to zoom about mouse point for both perspective and orthographic views - just tick the first two available options).

F5 - X axis

F6 - Y axis

F7 - Z axis

F8 - cycle between all double combinations between XYZ axes. (all F5 to F8 are great when in combination with snap to vertex and snap constrain axis toggle - very precise modelling)

CTRL + ALT + middle mouse button - zoom in/out on mouse move

Anyhow, i have my own set of keybinds (i actually recommend this since the customization is quite easy and can improve the workflow tenfold), for the tools i use all that often:

L - loop (changed from the default Left viewport, which is now SHIFT+ALT+L)

ALT+ L - ring

ALT + C - cut (default)

C - connect (only in editable poly object or edit poly modifier)

SHIFT + C - connect with dialog

B - bridge

SHIFT + B - bridge with dialog

CTRL+W - target weld

SHIFT+CTRL+W - weld

SHIFT+F - flip selected face(s)

~ - show end result toggle (easy to check the end results of all your modifiers in the stack).

* - snap axis constrain toggle

plus a lot more for the dope sheet, curve editor and so forth but those are hardly worth listing for someone doing just modelling and texturing.

more free tips:

a) use turbosmooth instead of meshsmooth where available (and you don't want certain edges to crease, but that can also be achieved via edge/vertex weighting from the editable poly/edit poly menus).

b) double turbos: you can use one turbosmooth for tesselation purposses (based on smoothing groups - faster than tesselation) and a second one for turbosmoothing (geometry can easily end up from 20k to 5-6 million in a blink of an eye - not for the faint hearted pcs)

c) pathDeform(WSM) (wsm = world space modifier) - can deform a set mesh over a path - creating creases or details on your model

d) ProOptimizer - available from 2009 onwards great for reducing polycount (will break meshflow though)

e) MultiRes - holding multiple LODs for the same model

f) Morpher - good for % morphing between 2 instaces of the same model (for characters, faces or other organic meshes) - both meshes needs to have the same vertex/poly count (and order)

g) use layers - i can't underline the importance and the time saved when using layers with your scene/project file, instead of putting everything in the same default layer 0

h) never ever ever use booleans when modelling...do it manually

i) take advantage of the subD tools available.

Edited by PuFu

Awesome! Thanks alot, this is a huge help for anyone who is starting up in 3D work including me. Good job, looking forward to the remaining video('s)

..and why do I suddently get the feeling that the 3d moddeling is the easy part when making addons for arma! :-)

..and why do I suddently get the feeling that the 3d moddeling is the easy part when making addons for arma! :-)

Because it actually is :)

My two most useful key bindings:

C - Cut

V - Target Weld

Keeping it simple, aye? By far the most usefull key for me is connect, especially when working with HP meshes (i need to set a key for swiftloop as well so i can include it in my workflow more often ;)

Awesome! Thanks alot, this is a huge help for anyone who is starting up in 3D work including me. Good job, looking forward to the remaining video('s)

It probably is.

No worries, mate. 3d modelling is easy once the concepts are in place. Honestly, for a beginner it can be as easy as tracing.

Having said that, things only seem easy when you understand them. It really depends on your skills and talent. Don't let anything be intimidating.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has supported this thread by providing their own knowledge via tips. I'm learning a lot from you folks, and I can't wait to go home once the weekend is over and try out some of your techniques.

Abs

PS: PuFu - Why did you recommend against using booleans? I use them for windows and hatches all the time. Yes, it requires a little bit of cleanup, but nothing more than two or three minutes usually.