Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

When patches come, please release them quietly to mirrors first?

Guys,

Just a thought. We're all chomping at the bit right now 'cos we expect a patch any day now.

Would it be possible for BI to give the patch to the mirror sites, with a timed embargo, before releasing it to us punters? It would help spread the load a little and get more of us up and playing faster.

Many times in the past, the moment a patch is released, ALL users - mirror site operators and normal players - are all squabbling over the same bandwidth on the BI servers, making them grind to a virtual halt. I've seen posts from the mirror operators asking for users to stay off the BI servers while they get and host the files.

Suggested sites? If I'm honest, I really only look at Armaholic and Armedassault.info, but I do know there's a few German sites that get a lot of traffic.

Multiupload is also a good idea to have available right off the bat. Otherwise complete agreement from me. :)

Multiupload is a great idea, everyone can just choose the server they want to download from...but the point is that it should be uploaded there before official release, and then it should be presented as one of the official way to download the patch, so we dont have to wait for someone to upload it there XY hours after patch release. :)

If BIS would contact some of the community members/groups that have always mirrored their patches 30 minutes BEFORE they made an official announcement, i am sure things would improve for the better for the average Joe:

Six, armaholic, armedassault.info, even clans like my own kellys-heroes could set up a 100mb mirror. Spread the strain from having it in multiple places ;)

Dwarden, i am looking at you mate ;)

we always do that don't worry (for years)

we always do that don't worry (for years)

i have always found the links for 3rd community parties later on ;)...

i have always found the links for 3rd community parties later on ;)...

Me too. I think it would be best if the mirrors and the BI link (and the post announcing them) all went live at the same time.