Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

New "scripting tech" incoming! What could it be?

While related to scripting, this is not the big improvement on the horizon ;) There are some powerful technologies in there which I think have not thoroughly sunk in with scripters yet though :P

*While rubbing hands with glee, jumps for joy*

While related to scripting, this is not the big improvement on the horizon ;) There are some powerful technologies in there which I think have not thoroughly sunk in with scripters yet though :P

Phew! Disappointment levels nearly hit those that I felt at the end of the first series of Lost!

No man, Visual COBOL. The new killer gaming language. :D

I think that scripting in LOGO would be hilarious ;)

Does that means that there is still more yet to come?:rolleyes:

So we can now say for sure that the new tech isn't "just" a couple of new scripting commands. Sweet! :)

That still leaves the question of what it is though. Some new technology, something they think we will like and that will give us a glimpse into tech being developed for Arma3... I still say OOP. My hopelessly optimistic brain forces me to. :D

I still say OOP. My hopelessly optimistic brain forces me to. :D

My hopelessly linear programming mind hopes not ;-)

Does it mean Arma3 will have / require JVM running in parallel?

AFAIK Java is not scripting language but requires quasi-compilation, so how the parsing / compilation will be done?

Another question: Java is known (maybe it's not valid for some implementations) as a heavy environment. Have you compared performance between old and Java engine?

Does it mean Arma3 will have / require JVM running in parallel?

AFAIK Java is not scripting language but requires quasi-compilation.

Java compiles to a bytecode that is then executed in a JVM, and since Maruk states that the engine should be able to run code from any language that runs in a JVM, it's pretty much confirmed that the engine will have one running. ;)

This probably also means that we will be able to use languages like Jython. :yay:

Another question: Java is known (maybe it's not valid for some implementations) as a heavy environment. Have you compared performance between old and Java engine?

They say it's faster than SQF, so I'm pretty sure they have tested it. (Would be pretty stupid if they didn't, right? :D)

They say it's faster than SQF, so I'm pretty sure they have tested it. (Would be pretty stupid if they didn't, right? :D)

At the moment, the extra overhead for calling Java may offset the performance gains it provides (and in some cases it's astronomically faster than SQF). :cool:

Like with most things, it's about sensible use, for example, scripts running in loops benefit much more from this new ability.

Best,

RiE

At the moment, the extra overhead for calling Java may offset the performance gains it provides (and in some cases it's astronomically faster than SQF). :cool:

That makes sense. :)

I assume more complex things like custom AI behaviour will benefit from improved Java performance, but minor scripts will still be better off getting written in SQF. :)

How could it not be faster than sqf?

I know that's close to a troll, but it is my view on it. And then there's the completely inverted performance profile sqf has displayed.

I'm quite curious to what the final API available is going to be. It's not like we can allow scripts to write arbitrary files to the disk, or do arbitrary connections to wherever.