Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

New "scripting tech" incoming! What could it be?

Patch 2

The major flight model tweaks have been pushed to Patch 3, because they are rather advanced and we need to time to do them properly (in cooperation with our partners). Instead, Patch 2 will have a lot more miscellaneous fixes to all areas of the game. We also intend to roll out a major upgrade to our scripting technology, which many of you will love, and which will provide another glimpse into the technology for A3. Stay tuned for more on the specifics.

Too bad about the flight model tweaks getting pushed back, but I guess getting them done properly is more important than getting them out quickly. Also, with nightstalker and other awesome members of the TKOH community doing their best to provide improved FMs right now, BIS can feel free to take their time.

However, the part of the quote I highlighted in bold seems very, very interesting to me. What could this new scripting technology be? I'm not ashamed to admit, the thoughts of something like object oriented scripting are making me feel a little giddy. :D

What do you guys think it could be?

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and amazed, and ... all at the same time :D

I think you will be pleasantly surprised and amazed, and ... all at the same time :D

I really hate you sometimes. :D

Oh man, you are such a tease! Don't tell me you got them to convert everythng to Ruby ;-)

Oh man, you are such a tease! Don't tell me you got them to convert everythng to Ruby ;-)

Oh the horror! :butbut:

If anything, it needs to be Python. Python > Ruby. ;)

Oh the horror! :butbut:

If anything, it needs to be Python. Python > Ruby. ;)

No way man Perl for the win!

Oh god... I smell Java...

Btw. tea > coffee. :D

Hands down: Beer > everything. ;)

Anyway, I'm guessing that RiE is trying to tell us that we're not looking at a new embedded scripting language in the RV engine, unless someone over at BIS had an aneurysm and actually decided to embed a JVM. :D

(I guess Lua would still be a possibility though.)

So what else could the "new scripting tech" be? Native OOP in sqf scripts? An actual API?

likes to read conspiracies :D erm theories

My bet is it's something FSM related. Either that or Visual FORTRAN has finally taken off...

My bet is it's something FSM related.

Can you be more specific? When I think of FSMs, nothing really comes to mind regarding how they could improve/enhance them. :)

I'm only guessing, but if you look at the missions/campaigns BI build they are heavilly FSM based. Also a lot of the AI is FSM based. FSM's are a bit of a headache to build with the current tools, so maybe they improved them?

Can't see too many places otherwise where improvements could be made other than perhaps a proper API or better control over the internal schedular? Maybe a proper persistant database?

Give us a clue guys - promise we wont tell anyone ;-)

FSM's are a bit of a headache to build with the current tools
How do you reckon that?

- FSMEditor for visualizing states / conditions

- Your favorite text editor to edit the code bodies in each state / condition (Configure in the FSMEditor Edit -> External Editor).

Edited by Sickboy

I much prefer a strong cup of coffee in the morning.

;)

And here was I thinking you were a tea drinker like proper Royalty. No class these days... :j:

Still, cant beat a good cup 'o Joe :cool:

How do you reckon that?

- Your favorite text editor to edit the code bodies in each state / condition (Configure in the Options).

Not saying they don't do the job - the first FSM I ever used was on a mainframe and was purely text so compare to that they are great! I didn't know (laziness on my part) that you could edit the code outside the tool though so I reserve the right to withdraw my comment!

BI use them a lot though and I was just thinking about what they could improve without changing the whole way of doing things. Some people have only just moved on to SQF from SQS they might get a shock if they change the core language again!

As I said I am purely guessing based on no facts at all!

My bet is it's something FSM related. Either that or Visual FORTRAN has finally taken off...

No man, Visual COBOL. The new killer gaming language. :D

How do you reckon that?

- Your favorite text editor to edit the code bodies in each state / condition (Configure in the FSMEditor Edit -> External Editor).

you forgot about Squint, it can do FSM too :cool:

Interesting indeed!

And, we might as well call this a new piece of ARG from BIS! Please? Please! :D

Cuz I miss those crazy clue searching days before A3 was announced...I know you all feel the same way :p

Under 35: Beer.

Between 35 and 60: Dark Lady (Joe)

Between 60 and 80: Tea.

After 80: Herbal Tea and ointment.

I am under the impression that both BI and RTD guys are using TakOH as a test bed trying to make sure every thing work before porting the FM into VBS2 2.X as well. (please note I, and assuming most BI fans, are OK with that, after all, it should be a win win, rgr?:p )

*puts on tin foil hat*:rolleyes:

Edited by 4 IN 1

About the scripting thing, this could be a visual node based system...

As far as easy to use programming goes, my daughter downloaded Scratch the other day and I think the programming method in that is very clever.

Different components of the program are represented by different shaped pieces like the pieces of a jigsaw. Only the pieces that are syntactically correct can be snapped into place.

Something like that could make scripting accessible to everyone.

Scott