Sign in to follow this  
samsite0

can start the heavy (lame)

i cant start the heavy it over heats its not the same procedure as the light cant find a tutorial on it, its pissing me off cause its a simple thing that im not doing and i dont know what it is i turn batts then apu then start up engine one go to switch to idle and the engine over heats like crazy i tried sstarting the second one first same deal started the first one then the second then idled them both and got burnt someone help me its infuriating

Try listening to automatic procedure voice over (use mouse roller and select auto-start helicopter using action menu).

Most probably you did not turn Auxilary Power Unit ON during start of heavy helicopter. You need this to have enough electric power to start two big engines. Light and Medium helicopters dont need APU.

how long does it take to start up the engine cause im doing the auto procedure and it gets up to the point where its batt apu start eng 1 then he sits like that for ages and theres no movement on the rpm indicator for engine one

Thats probably the safety 15sec "warmup". You can see moving engine temperature needles. Purpose of this procedure is explained in startup tutorial.

yeah nah your telling me all the things im aware of i did the tutorial but it only goes into depth about the light single engine. What is happening is i turn the batteries on wait 15 sec and then turn the apu on wait a huge amount of time 60 -300 sec turn the starter on wait another extended period then nothing happens to the indicators ie no needles move then i go to turn the first engine to idle and it shoots the engine temp up to its maximun from naught. i made sure that before i started the level that the choppper was in good repair in the upgrades so i am very dumb founded as to what the dilemar is

Is the rotor brake enabled? It should not be (look up near the center ceiling panel behind you).

Warmup "waiting 15sec" is recomended on idle engine, after fuel is introduced and engine reaches 60% RPM. Engine temperature raises very fast when fuel is introduced, but should not exceed 850 deg if you start cold. Hotstart happends if you ignite engine that is over 200 deg at start or more than 450deg on idle. If you recognise hotstart, just shut off fuel and wait until starter that spins the turbine cools down the engine. Be careful that starter will run less than 60 sec or you will burn it.

ok all your advice is valid but im aware of it all. I just tried then by doing an auto start and left the computer alone for over an hour all that happened was the batts went on the apu went on pause then the starter on one went on and for the past hour nothing happened so i went to turn the idle on and it over heated again. I'm going to look to see if heres some problem with the game and if it needs to be updated and its a bug. So just to iterate I turn the batts on I turned the apu on waited 20 sec then turned the starter on one on and then waited 20 sec turned the engine one to idle and straight away the engine overheated like a manual kettle.

alright i figured out what i wasnt doing ok so you guys will be like o for f*** sake but. I was leaving the apu on then starting the engine then setting throttle to idle WRONG i needed to turn the apu off before setting the engine to idle. This was never explained in the tutorials If it had been i would have made a note of it. Also after flying the heavy for the first time I want the landing gear to retract.

Don't you by mistake mix throttle in idle with throttle in full? It shouldn't be possible to set engine to idle with APU off. That's what APU is for - to help starting the engine. Then when engine is spinning by itself (idle) then you can shut down the APU and then set throttle to full to get full power.

alright i figured out what i wasnt doing ok so you guys will be like o for f*** sake but. I was leaving the apu on then starting the engine then setting throttle to idle WRONG i needed to turn the apu off before setting the engine to idle. This was never explained in the tutorials If it had been i would have made a note of it. Also after flying the heavy for the first time I want the landing gear to retract.

err, no the order is

1: battery on.

2: APU on.

3: eng1 starter on.

4: when eng1's N1 (left N1 gauge to the top centre of the centre of panel) is at 2 on the gauge set eng1 to idle.

5: turn off eng1's starter.

6: eng2 starter on.

7: when eng2's N1 (right N1 gauge to the centre of the centre of panel) is at 2 on the gauge set eng2 to idle.

8: turn off eng2's starter.

9: turn off APU.

10: nav and landing lights on.

11: once eng1 & eng2 temperatures have stabilised (~15sec after starting eng 2) throttle up both engines.

12: check wind direction, request take-off from wife/girlfriend :rolleyes:.

13: once permission granted from said wife/girlfriend, check for traffic and take-off.

Edited by b101_uk