Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Moschnyi Island (GSEP)

WHOO been off a long time

lookin good, have high expectations for GSEP that i think will be met

The satmask is actually pretty good, esp. for a (first?) attempt to work with that ArmA terrain stuff.

Yes there are of course small things that can be tweaked but it fits very well into the Chernarussian area.

Only thing I'm missing is an airstrip (I always want airstrips or fields for some weird reason lol).

The satmask is actually pretty good, esp. for a (first?) attempt to work with that ArmA terrain stuff.

Yes there are of course small things that can be tweaked but it fits very well into the Chernarussian area.

Only thing I'm missing is an airstrip (I always want airstrips or fields for some weird reason lol).

Airstrips/Fields = possible air support, which = good :p

@Jakerod - I will PM you a couple of different options tonight in .paa format. :)

Thanks!

Thanks. It was technically my second attempt. I started working on a small island in ArmA to get the hang of things. Granted that sat image looked terrible. Actually I started working on this island in ArmA before A2 even came out but then school and work got in the way so I canned it. *Looks at Visitor Forum* I apparently restarted it from scratch mid October.

Airstrips/Fields = possible air support, which = good :p

If you look on the map with the big red arrow you can see that there is land inside of the box. Initially, that land was going to be there and there was going to be an emergency airstrip on it by the base that I mentioned in the island description. However, I noticed once I got it in game that from the island the land looked really weird in the areas where it met the borders. You could tell that it stretched back totally straight with infinite land off.

Because of the length and angle of the island there was no way to hide it and it looked terrible. With infinite land on I ended up getting the "hole in the sea" effect so that was a no go too. Additionally, I had lost the ability to import terrain to make the mainland look better. Terrain erosion wasn't doing the job either. So I ultimately decided to just take it out. I'll think about adding an emergency runway on the island south of the town of Moschnyi maybe. I don't feel as though the island is big enough to warrant a real airport. I kind of even think the docks in Novakvice are too big for the island's size too.

I was wondering why there weren't any bases or even a small garrison for the CDF. I would especially think that the CDF in Novigrad and around there would be more dense. I was wondering if you could make a garrison on the Island that doesn't have holes in the walls, since after all the CDF are more well trained and well supplied near Novigrad. It's kinda hard to make a mission let alone a campaign if you can't find any reason for a CDF presence on the island and since the CDF don't have amphibious vehicles they can't really get on the island if they are blocked off of it. So really there needs to be a garrison with maybe 1 helipad. It just makes sense ya know. Definately helps with the whole airfield bit. No airfield but yes helipad=no required change in storyline.

Edited by DarkGuerilla

I was wondering why there weren't any bases or even a small garrison for the CDF. I would especially think that the CDF in Novigrad and around there would be more dense. I was wondering if you could make a garrison on the Island that doesn't have holes in the walls, since after all the CDF are more well trained and well supplied near Novigrad. It's kinda hard to make a mission let alone a campaign if you can't find any reason for a CDF presence on the island and since the CDF don't have amphibious vehicles they can't really get on the island if they are blocked off of it. So really there needs to be a garrison with maybe 1 helipad. It just makes sense ya know. Definately helps with the whole airfield bit. No airfield but yes helipad=no required change in storyline.

A fair point. I think I may have a good spot. It is only going to be a really small one though. Although I don't know if I would agree that they would be better funded on the island. I could see around Novigrad proper but not on the island. They do have BMPs and BRDMs which are amphibious by the way. They are not fast moving but they could cross the channel.

They also have no bases on the mainland, so why they have one on a remote island? :D

You still can use one of the many templates around to add a base in the editor. Faster than adding one on the map and you can have it everywhere you want instead of a fixed place.

And yeah they have amphibious vehicles and even Helicopters. Just boats they can't effort for some weird reason. :)

They also have no bases on the mainland, so why they have one on a remote island? :D

You still can use one of the many templates around to add a base in the editor. Faster than adding one on the map and you can have it everywhere you want instead of a fixed place.

And yeah they have amphibious vehicles and even Helicopters. Just boats they can't effort for some weird reason. :)

I think I'm going to just make it a really small outpost that could work as either abandoned or active. It will be right next to the small airstrip. Honestly though I'm not sure if any useful planes will be able to take off from it or not. I don't have a lot of room.

As said they have some amfibious capacity and since Lennard made these Marines and they atleast should have a brown water navy. I messed around wite this one yesterday to take some screenis. A bit of but way not, should atleast not cost a astronomical amounth of cash fore a small nation to buy.(And it exist in the armawerse alredy)

Cheers

Grip

It strikes me that small island like this would have small part time defence militia to deal with any problems until the main CDF can arrive from the mainland. They would most likely have an office or barracks in one of the towns, with the vehicles necessary for them to patrol and respond to problems from civil disturbance to invasion.

I'm going to have it at the end of the dirt road that comes from the lighthouse in the west. I think there is enough flat ground there for a small base and airstrip. Additionally, I was thinking about attempting a retexture of the RHIB to give the CDF some kind of brown water navy. I would rather have someone model something similar to the Soviet patrol boat in OFP:CWC/ArmA:CWA. I haven't been able to find what that is called yet though and we also do not have anyone who can do models so that would be tricky. The other option would be a PBR. I don't like the fact that it is a western vehicle but it is at least older than the RHIB and slightly more likely to be in their hands.

We have the OFP Russian patrol boat and would be happy to donate it, but:

The model and textures are still the same they were in 2001. We're working on that but I can't tell how long it would take. Can be everything from 2 weeks to 5 months, depending on how much time the guys have to work on it.

It seems to have no name but is completely fictional.

The PBR is ready to use, just needs proper crew animations. Being a western vehicle must not be something inappropriate though, they could have bought the old crap from the US. :)

I don't quite agree with an airstrip considering the CDF could fly from Novigrad to the island via helicopter and the planes can reach there as well. I was thinking of just a small garrison, an island guard if you will. An area about the size of the UTES ISLAND Garrison on top of the hill with walls instead of fences. You know small and functional and still keeps in line with your already made story line and doesn't disrupt anything.

I'm going to have it at the end of the dirt road that comes from the lighthouse in the west. I think there is enough flat ground there for a small base and airstrip.
To get a bit longer runway might i suggest adding the airstrip(dirt/grass runway) just south of Moschnyi insted enught room fore a 300m+ strip and some turn around space/parking space fore a An2 or Cessna. A hangar and some sort of one rum office bulding should fit there to. Quite flat alredy to ;).

But your spot as i understand it is long enugh to land a An2.

I totally agree with Dark Guerilla.

There're no need for an airstrip but i'm not against a little base :p

I think it's an awesome island. I loved your islands/terrains back in OFP. They always had that tiny bit of extra creativity and generally felt homogen and believable. Especially that no trade-offs for the sake of PVP (like 2 airports) were made, made me like them even more.

Also I think the vanilla ArmA2 and OA stuff has a lot of flair. When the gaming industry went desert, BI went middle-european with Chernarus. That made them stand out even more.

Please keep up the good work! I usually don't like the 5x5km islands but yours are worth every square meter!

A little suggestion tho: I'd love to see terrain in "Green sea" style with winter/summer plants and textures. :)

Edited by Serclaes
Type responsibly! :(

Yeah airstrip really isn't needed, I just said I miss one. That's a big difference. :D

No need to add one just because I raised my voice. If there isn't one, that's perfectly fine for me too.

My rpt after 3 minutes of driving down the roads in the editor:

Warning: Road selection asf3 has wrong name format
Warning: Road selection mud has wrong name format
Warning: Road selection asf3_12 has wrong name format
Warning: Road selection grav_12 has wrong name format
ca\misc\piskoviste.p3d: house, config class missing
ca\misc\houpacka.p3d: house, config class missing
ca\misc\piskoviste.p3d: house, config class missing
ca\misc\houpacka.p3d: house, config class missing

;2062640']My rpt after 3 minutes of driving down the roads in the editor:

Insert Errors Here

I'll take a look at that and try to figure out how to fix it.

New version out: See First Post

v1.1 Includes:

Minor adjustments to Sat and Mask

Added Emergency Airfield and Small Militia Garrison

Added more fences and walls around fields

Removed some problematic objects from problematic places

New Menu Image by CameronMcDonald

Airfield Information:

Runs East to West

Aircraft capable of landing: All ArmA II and OA aircraft

Aircraft capable of taking off: All except A-10

C-130 hits the beach after the runway but manages to make it into the air.

Su-25 barely makes it

L-39Z makes it just a bit better than the Su-25

Edited by Jakerod

Jakerod you sure the right Moschnyi went wite that download? I keep geting the old picture and island, no runway (the easiest way to check).

The file i download(and armedassult.info is hosting) have a latest changed 2011-11-21 date on it. Only the Readme is from 2011-12-04.

hove i installed it

My littel procedure is downloading, clering the mod folder from other files and then making a copy of the newly dl pbo and pasting it into the modfolder. should leave no traces of the old version of the island and have always worked before.

Cant relly se hove i could get this any other way than that the wrong pbo ended up in the 1.1 file, but i might just be tired and stupid today.

Cheers

Grip

Thank you for the update! Keep up the splendid work! I loved your islands back in OFP, and I am not disappointed with this one (if I may quote Serclaes "..yours are worth every square meter!...")!

Edited by Landmine
Got my question answered

Yeah im having a hard time finding any air strip as well, I think maybe the wrong pbo got packed up or something...