Sign in to follow this  
xy20032004

How to remove BI's original muzzle flash effects?

I'm still using Warfx Blastcore v1.0 and love the new muzzle flash effects for small and big weapons (from v1.1,1.2, Warfx Blastcore removed muzzle flash effects for infantry weapons ).

But I noticed that BI's original muzzle flash effects come with Warfx Blastcore new muzzle flash effects together. If I want to remove BI's original muzzle flash effects, how to do?

I checked the config of 'weapons.pbo' file. There are lots of ' muzzles [] = {XXXX, XXXX}; ' lines for some infantry weapons. The second 'XXXX' is grenade launcher muzzle, so the first 'XXXX' is bullet muzzle for a specific weapon. The first 'XXXX' stands for 'this', 'muzzlefar' 'm4acogmuzzle', etc.

Can someone tell me how to do next to remove BI's original muzzle flash effects in the most simple way? Simply delete the first 'XXXX' does not work, I have tried. Thanks a lot.

Edited by xy20032004

If I want to remove BI's original muzzle flash effects, how to do?

Sadly you don't, not without access to all of the source files.

I guess you could try replacing the muzzle flash models with empty p3ds (they are used as proxies in most weapons), you might have some luck there...

I thought about the replacing muzzle flash p3d modle file by making a replacement pbo. But the question is I can not find the class definition for the first 'XXXX' which stands for different value, such as 'this', 'muzzlefar' 'm4acogmuzzle', etc. Where can I find the class definitions for those 'this', 'muzzlefar' 'm4acogmuzzle', 'XXXX'??? If those classes can be found, then maybe in the replacement pbo I can write:

class XXXXX {

modle = "XXX\XX\X.p3d" ----------- the empty p3d file

};

and other class definitions to replace. Someone konws more about this? :-)

There is no config definition for it, its part of the model (hence my source file comment)

You'd have to make a replacer which de-pbos, replaces the muzzle flashes then re-pbos the wepaons.pbo, but ofcourse you wouldnt be able to play MP then...

Can someone tell me the names of those p3d files in 'weapons.pbo' that are related to muzzle effects? Are there either some files in 'weapons_e.pbo' ?

In 'weapons.pbo' there is a file 'empty.p3d', can this one be used as a empty muzzle model? Thanks.

This is a bit of a long shot. And, depends on how the person who made that mod setup their effects through the config. And, this suggestion may mean while you have this mod loaded it screws up other things but... it's worth a look-see. Try getting them to override the 'selectionFireAnim' class property of the base classes for all 'weapons' and set the value to 'nothing'.

eg. selectionFireAnim = "";

This should disable muzzleflashes... but it'll be for all weapons that you have available to you in-game while you have this mod running where the particular weapon uses the word 'zasleh' as the 'selection name' for the models 'muzzleflash'.

A common method of effects mods is to run drop scripts etc. when things like fired events happen. If this mod is using this technique and it's doing so comprehensively for all the default BIS vanilla weapons then disabling the selectionFireAnim="zasleh"; to selectionFireAnim=""; may work.

That's a big maybe though.

The danger is other mods with new/improved models or overriding class definitions that also rely on the selectionFireAnim being set as 'zasleh' AND you have these running as well when you're using this mod. It could play havoc with them.

Another option for the mod maker may be if they are using the fired event -> drop scripts method is... I'd imagine they are registering this for each default BIS weapon. So, at the same time they are doing this they might try setting the hiddenSelections array of each BIS default weapon to include the 'zasleh' selection. Then modify their fired events/drop scripts to do a setObjectTexture with a procedural alpha for zasleh... that might be a better method than mucking about with the selectionFireAnim property. Dunno if it'll work though. Just some whacky thoughts.

Cheers, Sy.

Thank you very much for the reply! I replaced all ' zasleh*.p3d ' files with empty p3d files in ' weapons.pbo' both in 'addon' and 'common' folders. This is the most simple way I can think about and it works well for SP mode. Finally, I have pure blast muzzle effect! :-)