Sign in to follow this  
bfcrusader

Favorite parts of the classic

What are your favorite parts of the old classic CC?

Did you favor the action game or the strategy game start?

Did you like the Assassin missiles or did you prefer the laser or bomb for the Mantas?

Was the Chemical laser best or did you get more use from the wired missiles for the Walruses?

Did you actually have a use for the refueling pods or did you only deploy the Walruses close to an island and then return them to dock?

How often did you use the virus bomb to take over an island?

How much use did you have for the protective drones, flares and the recon/Surface to Surface missiles?

Was the carrier laser an integral part of any invasion for you?

Tell us what was your experience of Carrier Command.

For the most part, many weapons/equipment (i.e., Bouncing Bomb, Virus, Fuel Pods, and Walrus Chemical Lasers/Missiles) were fun to play with once or twice in an Action Game but not terribly effective in practice.

For a Strategy Game, I tended to focus on a very simple game plan: Utilize Mantas with Assassin Missiles to destroy an Island's Command Center (if already occupied) and send Walruses in only to place an ACCB. I would often sacrifice Walruses in favor of obtaining Islands more quickly by sending a Walrus to take over an island with the Carrier en route to the next Island to take over. Timed just right you could place an ACCB just before the Walrus telemetry signal was lost.

Once I'd obtained enough Islands to close the Enemy Carrier's Island netowrk, I would preposition (2) Mantas, one with a Telemetry Pod and the other armed with a Laser Cannon on an Airstrip on a likely contested Island. When the Enemy Carrier attacked, I'd launch the Manta armed with the Laser Cannon to assist the Island Defenses in thwarting the attack. I would then route my Carrier towards the recently attacked Island. Upon arrival, I'd position the Carrier for an ambush with the stern facing the location the Enemy Carrier had previously attacked from. Most often the Enemy Carrier would re-attack from nearly the same position and I'd be ready with protective drones already deployed and a Manta or two flying circles to provide early warning (generally in the form of a damage report). When the Enemy Carrier came close enough, I'd launch a reconnaissance drone followed quickly by a stream of Hammerhead Missiles which packed more than enough punch to sink the Enemy Carrier.

However, sometimes I'd encounter the Enemy Carrier unexpectedly in the middle of the ocean. More often than not, I'd lose the ensuing battle as the shock value of being attacked without warning prevented setting appropriate defensive measures in time.

The suspense of not knowing for sure where the Enemy Carrier was located was the most intriguing part of the original Carrier Command. I hope Gaea Mission maintains the suspense of the original!

I used everything except bouncing bombs ... i thought that they have too little damage on enemy command center and you could have just two or three missiles with bomb, so i prefered full missile or laser + 3 missiles to take down CC. I never encountered enemy carrier on open sea and i saw him only few times around island (did he had hovercraft? I saw him flee over island with speed of manta :D - ST version)

In most games i "cheated" - to be able to use time warp feature and in later games i used bugs to my adventage - ACCB, chemical laser and hammerhead on one walrus for example :D

BTW i too happily sacrificed walrus just to be able to leave few minutes earlier, even with cheated time warp feature :D

I'd sometimes send 4 Walrus with a single Manta to take out an island that was at the limit of my range. A Manta flying at the slowest speed was roughly as fast as a Walrus traveling as fast as possible. 2 of the Walruses would carry the refuel pods; one of the remaining two would carry a full complement of wire guided missiles and the other would carry an ACCB. I'd use the two Walruses with the fuel pods to refuel the missile Walrus and ACCB carrier. When I got close to the island, I'd keep the Manta out of range of any defenses and use the wire-guided missiles to take out the enemy Command Center from the water (you could steer the missiles up over the beach and into the Command Center).

I used that tactic to cut off the enemy carrier from its supply network and was able to conquer all the islands without ever seeing or engaging the carrier.

At least in the PC version, there was a bug where you could load up a Walrus and a Manta with stuff, deploy them from the ship and then request a resupply drone to top off things like missiles, Walruses, and Mantas. You could then bring the Walrus and Manta you had deployed back to the ship. You could then request resupply until you had 255 of each item (such as Mantas and Walruses).

Drones and flares saved my butt more than once. The carrier's surface-to-surface missiles were very close to useless, IMO. You couldn't use them against an island with any sort of defense since you would have to back up to the island to use them, which left your engines in a rather vulnerable state. If you let the enemy carrier get close enough to use them against it, you were probably going to lose. 4 Mantas with missiles and kamikaze runs would be enough to cripple the enemy carrier so you could finish it off with missile Walruses or more Mantas.

I have little doubt that almost none of those tactics will work in the reboot.

If I've played the game, I don't remember, which is a shame because it sounds interesting. Are there any plans to pack the original as a pre-order bonus or any of those typical promotional ideas?

If I've played the game, I don't remember, which is a shame because it sounds interesting. Are there any plans to pack the original as a pre-order bonus or any of those typical promotional ideas?

Or just go get a copy. As far as I know, the linked site is above-board and legal; you should check the laws in your own country.