Sign in to follow this  
SandboxPlaya

Perfect accuracy when firing from the hip

What do you think of accurate shooting from the hip when not aiming ?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of accurate shooting from the hip when not aiming ?

• It's not realistic, it also hurts the multiplayer balance
    • It's not realistic, but I don't care about the multiplayer balance
    • It is realistic because....(please explain)
    • It doesn't hurt the balance because....(please explain)

Using the map is interesting instead of blindly running to the magical yellow arrow.

More reasons to see what's there between you and the destination and how you can use it to your advantage.

Nothing to do with being better than CoD and BF audience. HUD elements there are for gameplay purposes, here they are just a bunch of helpers.

Edited by metalcraze

Why would you play with map markers? Boring as shit. :p

I feel cheated when my character "sees" something and I don't. :p It helps against the magical AI.

People treat it in BIS games in the exactly same way as in any other shooter.

The problem is that GUI elements in BIS games are nothing but visual helpers that you use to learn to play the game and you should turn them off when you feel comfortable enough. They are not there for the same reason as in BF or CS. They are not a part of the gameplay, they are just another tutorial.

I think that's your own spin you're putting on it there, I don't think people "should" do anything, it's there as a gameplay option.

But, again we are firmly in the realm of opinion :)

I have HUD markers on, but they're set to fade a while after closing the map or hearing the order. This is due to some missions requiring me to stand in the exact spot marked for an event to trigger. Also helps simulate looking at the map, and comparing it to the terrain while still seeing it. These markers also allow me to tell who is "that man" my (AI) commander is jelling at me to shoot or "that bush" he wants me to go to. I'd gladly turn these off in AIII, but only if spoken commands will be improved (Group. Move. Very far. Really helpful.:))

And 3rd person comes in handy when I'm bored and want to admire graphics of a vehicle I'm currently in.

Whether you are looking down the sights, the gun is at your shoulder, at the hip, or balanced on top of your head the accuracy of the gun should remain the same. It really doesn't matter because the bullet will still leave the barrel in exactly the same way.

In my opinion, the problem, and the one the op is trying to convey, is that players are allowed to see exactly where the bullet will land without looking through the ironsights, which is extremely unrealistic and unfair to those who do use the sights /optics as intended or those weapons that have optics inappropriate for close quarters fighting.

To solve this, the accuracy of the gun should not be tinkered with. Instead the crosshairs need to be changed to give the player a realistic amount of knowledge as to where exactly they are pointing their weapon. In reality you have 3d awareness of where your weapon is that cannot be depicted in a video game so arguing that the cross hairs should be totally eliminated is, in my opinion, not realistic. It is true that after many hours of gaming you can get as accurate whithout corsshairs, as you would in real life without using sights, but in real life you don't need to be using a gun for hours to shoot something close without using sights. Without crosshairs in arma, it is possible to get reliable hits on a human sized target about 5 metres away

(for someone just starting to play) where as in real life it is possible to hit something human sized without using sights from just over 10 m (at least it was for me). Therefore it is perfectly realistic imo to add some type of crosshairs so someone new to the game can hit someone from 10 metres as well as they would in real life.

To me the ideal crosshairs for this would actually be from COD. please let me explain before you lynch me. I do not mean cod like dispersion nor the way they expand. They should remain static. I just mean the look of the crosshairs themseleves. they do not clutter the screen much if kept small and they give the player a general idea of where they are shooting without pinpointing the point of impact. My only problem with the cod crosshairs is that they are to easy to line up with the horizon and vertical landmarks. To prevent this they should be rotated 45 degreas so they look like this :: instead of this -:- This crosshair would be centred around the exact location of where the bullet is aimed to hit. These cross hairs should have a spread of 5 or 6 centimetres (on my screen at least). This would allow people to easily engage in close quarters without using the sights but will not allow them to snipe without them unless they are very skilled, which in real life is possible.

+1, and I would also like to see a way to balance for heavier weapons as I descriped earlier. But that's a different discussion.