CameronMcDonald

The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

I have started with skyrim the same way (just like with morrowind and oblivion), but stopped quite soonish and created a new dark elf character for a more stealthier approach (bow/single hand weapons - stealth/lockpick/pickpocketing).
Thanks Pufu, its funny I walked blind into this game (never tried one before) and on the character choice I was going to select wood elf :) I then decided for warrior style becuase of pre programming :p I should have gone with my Arma2 SF/Sniper spidey sense on selection.

I kind of enjoy the money challenge because it makes the game more steady to play and more time spent in areas without discovering the map so fast. Im only Level 7 and dragon born and have a few quests. Ive joined the companions guild about to do second "task" to become a full member & slowly uncovering area of the map around white run currently.

I am starting to get a better understanding of things and now I do want to be a wood elf and use stealth a bit a bit more "naughty" plus I want to ignore starting the main quest and just roam the map and learn to steal & hunt :) So I will start that soon in parallel.

Thanks for the saving tips, quick save overwrites slots without question so manual save or console way forces a new slot ... ok thanks.

Final comment, so who here picked up to read ULFr's book? Haha .. A definite Homer Simpson moment. (And yes, while trying to flip pages I really did think the game had locked up). :o Has anyone read the "maid" books (think that's the name).. reads like a carry on film, "Your breads far to big to fit into my oven" and so on ... :)

EDIT: one final question, I couldnt seem to see in my info and log in-game if I had a bounty on my head and how much/serious it is, where do I look to find out, the stats seem to show just when I had them and how much, but what about if you currently have one on your head, how can you check?

Edited by mrcash2009

id suggest you get used to it, its not going away, if anything steam (and origin etc) will only get more and more common.

Weird, when publishers incorporate draconian DRM's everybody's in an outrage but when you need an online service to play a single player game it's business as usual? Seriously i don't see the difference.:confused:

About the 4 second freeze up, i had a similar experience with the game "Singularity" all of sudden. Now i don't know what exactly did the trick but after i performed a number of things including registry cleaning, spyware removal and defragging it stopped freezing up. Perhaps one of these things helps.:)

LOL one of my friends has bought the game and it crashes everytime he comes near whiterun. He was so angry that he nearly threw the game out of the window :p

Does stuff like that happen to someone else? He uses the 4GB Patch and has done some recommended tweaks in the registry already but it still crashes

Well I have had time today to faff around.

So I tried the following:

First ran integrity check on game install & defrag check from steam, all was ok.

*Open spoiler for the nerd bit* :

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

UPDATE:

After checking forums I noticed a similar report about "XP pauses for 4 seconds" so I looked further and I got it fixed.

This is also the latest Boris (ENB Authors) dll update for sound issues, performance and crashes. I tested the same save file I used on my above tests (in spoiler) with and without this latest update all pauses gone with it , all come flooding back without :)

Others with bigger systems might want to give it a spin as this release version is new:

Thread with link & other posting tests: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1302450-antibsod-antifreeze-patch-7/

Direct link:

AntiFREEZE patch 9 ENBSeries 0.096 for TES Skyrim - read included description, some features are disabled by default. Patch for fixing graphical artifacts, lags, freezing, bsod, some sound problems. Also may be used to speedup some other modern games, users with single core cpu have better performance in Mass Effect 1 (actually they are using Silent Hill 5 patch, but this one include the code from it).

Bad to think that it takes Boris to fix things, even the same debacle with GTAIV .

I cant speak for systems crashing, but anyone you know that are even after using other mods, try this first.

Edited by mrcash2009

LOL one of my friends has bought the game and it crashes everytime he comes near whiterun. He was so angry that he nearly threw the game out of the window :p

Does stuff like that happen to someone else? He uses the 4GB Patch and has done some recommended tweaks in the registry already but it still crashes

Is the game patched to latest? If patch is installed then 4 GB patch only works afaik if it is the latest version, and if Steam is running before you run the Skyrim4GB.exe tool.

Recommended registry tweaks? Like which?

Edited by Sickboy

ueEWLK0zc2Q

Completely in love when this plays in-game.

Would love to have extended versions of this over more music in game.

On a separate note this chap posted pretty much the steps I took to smooth things out, if anyone reads this with issues:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1306747-im-not-bugged-really/

Have it looking glorious with sky/injector mod (now have that exactly righ the sharpening filters needed to be killed off for me). ENBA/4gig update running together.

Running around I get spawning mircro stutter which I expect but its not annoying, FPS in open area ranges from 30/45 whiterun city on high steps drops to 18 (but that's for a standing in a certain position, head move it rises) that's the lowest fps I get just in one spot, generally in cities etc its average of 25 give or take and tunnels etc its 35-50, high settings with AA 2x AF 8x.

Not so bad for a dual core 3gig / GTX 260 ... still some mileage in the old feller yet :)

Some snaps I took with visuals addons:

If you want the settings color file for FXAA Injector v1.3, grab here: http://www.zshare.net/download/970380845af6e3cc/

I removed sharpening filters, lesser tint blue and less glow/whitening and better Gamma on black/dark/shadows, with a touch more bloom for smoother look.

skyrim1q.jpg

skyrim3.jpg

skyrim2s.jpg

Well, thats it now no more messing, back to life and day job :)

Edited by mrcash2009

After checking forums I noticed a similar report about "XP pauses for 4 seconds" so I looked further and I got it fixed.

This is also the latest Boris (ENB Authors) dll update for sound issues, performance and crashes. I tested the same save file I used on my above tests (in spoiler) with and without this latest update all pauses gone with it , all come flooding back without :)

Thanks for posting this! I was having the same issue, and while it wasn't gamebreaking, it was really annoying. I shall have to try this fix as soon as possible.

It's wip atm, :depressed:

I'll be watching it though, soon as its released I'll post it up on modsaholic :)

Earlier pic was grid view below is list view

http://i.imgur.com/LvUlP.jpg >100kb

It's a mess over at bethsoft forums, they apparently lock threads after 200 posts, so the author is now on his third thread for the same topic... :p

I love the design of this UI! :eek:

All it needs - and I hope this will be possible with the creation kit - is some more data, like guilds you are in an such. Even without that it's still waaaay better then the default UI.

Edited by colossus
typo

My friend solved his issue with skyrim. He made a misstake with the 4GB enabler so that it was still limited to 2GB :p

Thanks for posting this! I was having the same issue, and while it wasn't gamebreaking, it was really annoying. I shall have to try this fix as soon as possible.

Since I installed it, not one single 4 second stupid bloody pause :) In the ini you can ref a separeate dx9 dll too if you have another to use along side it (I do for the FX injector), that thread I linked pretty much explains it.

WOW :eek: That GUI is basicly "How it should be out of the box". Cant wait to get hold of that, much needed indeed. I started to understand the modding aspects with ASI dll's (like gta etc) and I realise now the scope of hoe this thing can be ripped open and reworked, so Im in for the long haul.

It's a mess over at bethsoft forums, they apparently lock threads after 200 posts, so the author is now on his third thread for the same topic...

What is the link (for the sake of this thread) ?

EDIT: ah heres the links, very nice: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1302838-wipz-skyui/

Edited by mrcash2009

;2068034']Different UI ;)

For the sake of modsaholic' date=' I'll keep this one close to my chest for now. :smiley-evil:[/quote']

Aaaah, I see what's happening here, your on a cloak & dagger quest ... ;)

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

When telling someone who plays this game to "Get out more" doesn't quite get the message:

R-f5l4VE1uU

;2068034']Different UI ;)

For the sake of modsaholic' date=' I'll keep this one close to my chest for now. :smiley-evil:[/quote']

Don't be silly, sharing is caring. ;)

This is it:

Part 1

Part 2

GitHub Repo

I guess I only care for modsaholic getting off its feet then... ;)

On a more on topic note, It'll be a while till we see this UI ingame if ever. :(

Don't be silly, sharing is caring. ;)

This is it:

Part 1

Part 2

GitHub Repo

Whats the point in that? here we are trying to get a new community together and you just go ahead and give it away!

I dont think he is the one being silly :mad:

Edited by DarkXess

Whats the point in that? here we are trying to get a new community together and you just go ahead and give it away!

Well excuse me for seeing the obvious but I dont see anything private about it, so to act private and concealed about something that is open on the net, is a bit childish if you ask me. If your building a community, act with it I would say, or announce and explain why its private (if it was). Linking to something and then giving no additional info (only to realise it can be found openly) is not exactly a promotion in my eyes.

But, anyway, I see what the point was, just dont understand being concealed about something open.

FPDR 10char

Well excuse me for seeing the obvious but I dont see anything private about it, so to act private and concealed about something that is open on the net, is a bit childish if you ask me. If your building a community, act with it I would say, or announce and explain why its private (if it was). Linking to something and then giving no additional info (only to realise it can be found openly) is not exactly a promotion in my eyes.

But, anyway, I see what the point was, just dont understand being concealed about something open.

Its not being childish at all, its just how he did it was stupid! it could of been found in a way which would of benefited us thats all im saying.

So please... mind your own business why dont you.

Anyways, back on topic shall we ... I dont wanna start a flaming match!

I was only saying, so lets forget it.

Edited by DarkXess

I don't understand what's going on here.

2 guys from Modsaholic who seem to feel that some publically available/findable information is priviledged and should only be available on their new (public) site, for some odd reason (gaining popularity?) ? Seems to be a FAIL if you don't post the info on your site then in the first place, and link back to it :D

Dunno, that's what I make of it.

Or they're all 3 from Modsaholic, and one of them shared the direct links here, and the others felt a public forum thread at BIF was THE place to talk about what would've been better for their site???

Kinda hard to make heads or tails, agreed :D

Edited by Sickboy

Ah well. It's not like it's the only thing in the world I don't understand :)

But back on topic, anyone got any interesting mods on the go? I've got some texture improvements (water, sky, snow, blood, roadsigns, generic stuff like that) and a bard music replacement (which I've yet to hear ingame) but nothing really great yet.