Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Camo Nets

v2.0 Signed and Released! This addon adds new camo nets in different versions - Inventory sniper/FO nets (new in v2.0), Backpack sniper/FO nets, and vehicle nets. All nets are located under Empty > Camo Nets. The sniper camo nets come in two sizes and can be deployed via backpacks or used in inventory (new feature). The new sniper inventory nets are available in ammo crates (Ammo > Camo Nets). A script is included to allow mission makers to equip any vehicle with deployable camo nets. A script is also included for the sniper camo nets to help scripted deployment scenarios (pre-populate map with nets).

Readme and download, available here:

pook_camonets_v2.0.zip

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265#!/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265&sc=documents&uc=2&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211848

CREDIT to R0adki11 for Nogovan Oak!

CREDIT to IceBreakr for Lingor, Duala camos!

==========

Features

==========

- New in v2.0: Sniper Camo nets are now INVENTORY items meaning you carry them as you would a radio, compass, etc.

Updated Information about the Sniper Nets:

This new option was added to eliminate the sniper backpack "penalty" the BIS inventory structure imposed with the previous 1.x version that required carrying the camo net as a backpack. In real life, the camo net wouldn't be that big or heavy... similar in size and weight to 2-man pup tent. Therefore it would probably be lashed to a backpack like a bedroll or slung over the shoulder as additional gear. The use of these new Inventory sniper nets will allow the sniper to carry a backpack, thereby eliminating the "inventory penalty" to snipers from the previous versions!

- Enemy AI detection with sniper nets is *significantly* reduced! The use of nets to avoid enemy AI detection are subject to these requirements:

- You MUST remain prone. AI can detect you when crouched.

- Your weapon must be inside the net. Barrels sticking through the net may be detected.

- Your body must remain motionless. NOTE: Head-only movements were not detectable by the AI during my testing.

- Since your body must remain motionless, your AI squad members may be susceptible to detection depending

on the circumstances (for example if the AI squad member were to "turn to" the enemy, they could be detected).

- That the nets will reduce enemy AI detection, but may not completely eliminate it! As in real life, the

nets are concealment, not cover, and you may still be detectable.

- The new sniper inventory nets are found in the "Camo Nets" Ammo crates under "Ammo > Camo Nets".

- The backpack sniper nets are still present and unaffected by the new inventory versions.

- If you intend to continue use the sniper camo nets that make use of backpacks, it is recommended to use a backpack mod (such as my pook_a2backpacks mod) for A2 units (USMC, CDF, etc) that provides backpacks to those factions. Several mods provide this benefit. Links to two such mods are listed:

- Sniper/FO nets utilize 3 inventory slots. This leaves several slots avaialble for use with other inventory items and addons such as my Signal Marker Panel multiplay-focused addon:

- Sniper/FO nets come in two different sizes: "Small" 2-man size and "Medium" 3-man size. The small nets are only usable when prone. The medium nets can be used when crouching or when using some low-profile static guns and some AT weapons.

- Various Camo colors and patterns for nets - 24 colors total, with 792 net/color combinations in this addon!

- Detection by enemy AI is significantly reduced by the nets.

- Aircraft and helicopter vehicle nets are fully documented in the README!

- Editor Classes:

- Ammo > Camo Nets - for new Inventory sniper nets!

- Empty > Camo Nets: Heli

- Empty > Camo Nets: Aircraft

- Empty > Camo Nets: Camo Nets - Sniper (2 Man)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Camo Nets - Sniper (3 Man)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Backpacks

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (Med - APC Sized)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (Lg - Tank Sized)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (XL - Truck Sized)

==========

CHANGELOG

==========

v2.0: 11/30/2012

- New: Inventory-item selectable sniper/FO nets found in new category:

- Ammo > Camo Nets (inventory: East 2-man) Crate

- Ammo > Camo Nets (inventory: West 2-man) Crate

- Ammo > Camo Nets (inventory: East 3-man) Crate

- Ammo > Camo Nets (inventory: West 3-man) Crate

v1.3: 12/21/2011

- New: MH6 Littlebird camo nets

- New: Lingor and Duala net textures (textures credit to IceBreakr)

- Update: Another editor class reorganization to keep things sorted better. Editor Classes arranged by pattern (East/West):

- Empty > Camo Nets: Camo Nets - Sniper (2 Man)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Camo Nets - Sniper (3 Man)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (Med - APC Sized)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (Lg - Tank Sized)

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles (XL - Truck Sized)

- Fix: Some nets were incorrectly listed as different versions

v1.2

- Nogovan Oak Camo pattern for nets (credit RoadKill)

- Fix: Detection by enemy AI is significantly reduced by the nets. This should enhance sniper team survivability against AI patrols.

- Requirements for nets to work against AI detection:

- You MUST remain prone. AI can detect you when crouched.

- Your weapon must be inside the net. Barrels sticking through the net may be detected. "Inside" from the front means behind the overhang. The overhanging section goes all the way to the ground on the AI detection LOD (View Geometry LOD) in the models. So from the AI's perspective, the nets are a solid object all the way around.

- Your body must remain motionless. Head-only movements were not detectable by the AI during my testing. (Only more testing can confirm this).

- Since your body must remain motionless, your AI squad members may be susceptible to detection depending on the circumstances (for example if the AI squad member were to "turn to" the enemy, they could be detected).

- Note that the nets will reduce enemy AI detection, but may not completely eliminate it. As in real life, the nets are concealment, not cover, and you may still be detectable.

v1.1: 11/22/2011

- New: Aircraft and helicopter vehicle nets.

- New: Improved 3D models for sniper camo nets (small and medium) to further enhance AI detection avoidance.

- Update: Editor class reorganization to keep things sorted better. Editor Classes:

- Empty > Camo Nets: Soldier

- Empty > Camo Nets: Ground Vehicles

==============

Camo Patterns:

==============

1. CDF Woodland Camo (BIS)
  2. CDF Desert Camo (BIS)
  3. Nato Green Net (BIS)
  4. Nato Tan Net (BIS)
  5. Cadpat
  6. Desert Storm
  7. DPM Desert
  8. Flecktarn
  9. Flecktarn Desert
  10. Rus Desert Camo
  11. Rus Forest Camo
  12. AOR Forest
  13. ATACS Forest
  14. ATACS Desert
  15. DPM Forest
  16. MARPAT
  17. Multicam
  18. Snow
  19. Spec
  20. SURPAT
  21. Woodland
  22. Nogovan Oak
  23. Duala Brown
  24. Lingor Jungle

==============================

KNOWN ISSUES / BUGS:

- The nets can be driven through without damaging the net. This was done to facilitate artillery and directed fire units, and also to avoid deployment issues that sometimes occur (nets on top of vehicles, nets being destroyed when spawned, etc).

VEHICLE SCRIPT USAGE: IN README

============================

DISCLAIMER / RESTRICTIONS :

============================

Models based on Arma1 sample models. This mod is ONLY for use with BIS games! You are free to do anything you wish with it and MLODs so long as it is for a BIS game and in accordance with the BIS license!

==============

NET TYPES:

==============

There are 22 colors for each type... all are listed in the Editor!

To script, you simply select the NET TYPE, SIDE, and add the NET NUMBER:

pook_camonet_
nettype
_
west
XX

Example:

To script a "West" pattern tank camo net in DPM forest, use:

pook_camonet_vehtank_west13

To script an "East" pattern medium sniper net in ATACS Desert, use:

pook_camonet_small_east11

... etc.

Net Numbers:

The numbers represent the camo type (0-22):

(no number) BIS Chernarus Camo (East Pattern) / BIS Nato Green (West Pattern)

2. BIS Desert Brown (East Pattern) / BIS Nato Tan (West Pattern)

3. CADPAT

4. Desert Storm

5. DPM Desert

6. Flecktarn

7. Flecktarn Desert

8. Rus Desert Camo

9. Rus Forest Camo

10. AOR Forest

11. ATACS Desert

12. ATACS Forest

13. DPM Forest

14. MARPAT

15. Multicam

16. Snow

17. Spec

18. SURPAT

19. Woodland

20. Nogovan Oak

21. Duala Brown

22. Lingor Jungle

--------------------------------

Prone-height 2-man Sniper nets:

--------------------------------

pook_camonet_small_east

pook_camonet_small_west

---------------------------------

Crouch-height 3-man Sniper nets:

---------------------------------

pook_camonet_med_east

pook_camonet_med_west

----------------------------

Medium Vehicle (M113 sized):

pook_camonet_vehmed_east

pook_camonet_vehmed_west

Large Vehicle (Tank sized):

pook_camonet_vehtank_east

pook_camonet_vehtank_west

------------------------------

X-Large Vehicle (Truck sized):

pook_camonet_vehtruck_east

pook_camonet_vehtruck_west

Helicopter Nets:

pook_camonet_airheloAH1_east

pook_camonet_airheloAH1_west

pook_camonet_airheloKA52_east

pook_camonet_airheloKA52_west

pook_camonet_airheloMi17_east

pook_camonet_airheloMi17_west

pook_camonet_airheloMi24_east

pook_camonet_airheloMi24_west

pook_camonet_airheloMV22_east

pook_camonet_airheloMV22_west

pook_camonet_airheloUH60_east

pook_camonet_airheloUH60_west

pook_camonet_airheloMH6_east

pook_camonet_airheloMH6_west

Airplane Nets:

pook_camonet_airplaneA10_east

pook_camonet_airplaneA10_west

pook_camonet_airplaneAV8_east

pook_camonet_airplaneAV8_west

pook_camonet_airplaneSu25_east

pook_camonet_airplaneSu25_west

pook_camonet_airplaneSu34_east

pook_camonet_airplaneSu34_west

From the readme:

ADDON: Deployable Vehicle Camo Nets and Sniper Camo Nets (with Backpacks)

Version : 1.0

Release Date: 11/17/2011

======================

DESCRIPTION :

======================

This addon adds new camo vehicle nets and new sniper/FAC nets. All objects located under Empty > Camo Nets (a new category). The sniper camo nets come in two sizes and can be deployed via new backpacks. A script is included to equip any vehicle with deployable camo nets. A script is also included for the sniper camo nets to help scripted deployment scenarios.

======================

INSTALLATION :

======================

Dependencies: Requires OA. Tested on 1.56 and 1.62!

Contents:

\@POOK\POOK.bikey

\@POOK\pook_camonets_readme.txt

\@POOK\Addons\pook_camonets.pbo

\@POOK\Addons\pook_camonets.pbo.POOK.bisign

\@POOK\Scripts\camonetvehicle.sqf

\@POOK\Scripts\camonetsniper.sqf

Installation: Extract the @POOK folder into your Arma2 folder. The PBO and Sign files are in the archive. Edit your startup shortcut to include:

"-mod=@POOK;"

For more information about addon folders please check BIS Wiki here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Addons#ArmA_2

CONTENT/FEATURES:

- Two different camo net patterns - The woven net pattern (WW2 M.A.S.H. style) called "East", and the modern "waffle" style called "West".

- Adds deployable camo nets for sniper/FAC/FOV/etc. units in two different sizes: "Small" and "Medium".

- Sniper camo nets are deployed via their respective backpacks.

- Since the sniper camo nets make use of backpacks, it is recommended to use a backpack mod (such as my pook_a2backpacks mod) for A2 units (USMC, CDF, etc) that provides backpacks to those factions. Several mods provide this benefit. Links to two such mods are listed:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11497

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14823

- Adds deployable camo nets for vehicles in three different sizes: "Vehicle Medium" for M113 sized and smaller vehicles, "Vehicle Large" for tank-sized vehicles, and "Vehicle XL" for vehicles up to 5T trucks.

- The script that deploys vehicle camo nets requires about 45 seconds total to deploy the net! This was added to balance the deployment and represent a more realistic scenario.

- Vehicle Nets will automatically remove themselves if the vehicle drives > 25 meters away, or if the vehicle is destroyed.

- The implementation of the vehicle deployment script is fully documented in the readme.

netsmall2.jpg

netmed.jpg

lb2.jpg

camopatterns1_sm.jpg

camopatterns2_sm.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

do you use setObjectTexture for the nets or hex edit?

looks good :)

No hex edits! These are completely rebuilt nets from the Arma1 samples using "Setobjecttexture" to keep the download small. They are used in my BRDM2 improvements addon as well as the SA9 and 1S91 addons I ported. I figured I would make them available as a standalone deployable package. I am experimenting with the different colors, using the sniper ghillie suit graphics as a baseline. The problem (of course) is that I can't figure out how to make matching "hq" graphics... so I'm using the BIS camo net HQ graphics, which makes them look more like solid blobs at distance. If I could figure out how to use GIMP to make the graphic sets then I would give it a try. For now, I am going to utilize the existing East/West camo nets with different colors so they maintain that broken-up look and texture at distances. This should look fine... instead of just a "green" and "tan" net, they will simply be different colors... brown/green, green/sand, green/tan, tan/brown, etc. etc.

I created new trasparencies for the new camo colors, so no more "blobs" at distance.

I made some medium sized nets, but they need to be set "just right" around the vehicle to keep the vehicle from sticking out. Therefore I am going to make ALL the vehicle nets oversized so that like in the first pic, any vehicle will fit them. I'll probably stick with the large net as-is because it works for all vehicles (sized for a 5T truck) and then a smaller one for hummers, BMPs, etc.

@Angus - there are small ones! :) The small ones are the same as in the AT launchers (part of the BRDM2IMP addon). Here is a pic of the small net with the 9K113 launcher for comparison:

brdm2imp_at5.jpg

Does this look about right? You can of course check out my brdm2imp addon in-game. I can make them in any shape necessary... I was going to make one slightly larger than this one so that crouching troops and/or static gun emplacements can stay hidden.

Edited by hcpookie

One "vehicle" that really needs camo IMO are the M109 and D30 howitzers. I've tried using standard (large) camo nets, but shooting through these nets kills the gun crew (shell explodes contact?).

If you could come up with a one piece net with a hole in the center, or a two piece net that would allow the howitzer to fire 45 degrees and steeper upwards, that would be great!

@ William - I'll see what I can develop. Perhaps something like a camo "skirt" that goes around the vehicle?

@ Slatts - Not yet :)

The camo nets currently present fall into two categories - the Nato style and the so-called "east" style. If you look in-game you'll see the differences. The "east" style is an older design of netting like the nets you'll see in M.A.S.H. - big open nets with material woven into the netting in swirly patterns. So for the "east" style nets you have the default BIS Chernarus color (brown/green), and the Arma1 Sand/Green RACS colors. I have also added Autumn brown/light brown and Green/Dark Green. So there should be 4 variations of the basic netting.

I plan to modify the Nato net texture to provide different camo patterns other than basic Green or Tan, using the Ghillie suit colors as a basis. I should be able to add any color necessary as long as I can paint it in GIMP. I'll probably add a Flektarn pattern as well since that is good enough to be used anywhere. Adding these others should provide about a dozen different patterns.

You can look at my BRDM2IMP addon to see the camo net patterns already in use. ;)

Uk cam nets can be all green or green and brown, or at least all the ones in our MT sections CES for the vehicals.

Finally! After some time I figured out how to re-apply the masks in GIMP. NOW... I can take any given camo texture and apply it with the proper transparencies! :) Here is what I have so far - East nets (M.A.S.H. style) and West nets (NATO style) both styles in the following color patterns:

- Original BIS Chernarus brown/green

- Original BIS "east" Desert Brown

- CADPAT

- Desert Storm

- DPM Desert

- Flecktarn

- Flecktarn Desert

- Russian Desert

- Russian Forest Green

Russian patterns are based on existing vehicle camo schemes and go really good with the terrain.

Some of the patterns look "blotchy" at a distance, so I am going to have to work on the mapping some to reduce that effect. Otherwise, the tents look MUCH better at longer distances than when I started! :D

realcolortest_sm.jpg

Here is a link to a larger pic (200kb):

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pfRANrzGjvNm8KIoKG4pQxi4J6hUq1S5qghwRsZ9R_7Y7vUaxyOVSsz5A5xjYX3vKPsWcSxLjlMo/realcolortest.jpg

I think I'm all set on the models! I am going to compose a script that adds an action to any user/vehicle and pack it up with the models either Friday or Saturday. That should make everyone's life easier :)

A few of the final pics:

"Small" sniper net (prone heigh):

netsmall.jpg

netsmall2.jpg

"Medium" sniper net (crouch height):

netcrouch.jpg

Medium Vehicle net showing the biggest vehicle it can handle is an M113:

netmed.jpg

X-Large net hiding some of the biggest vehicles:

netXL.jpg

Finally, a larger image (350k) showing all the net sizes in a little better detail:

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pv8rFTltHtbVnKXu44jO3LzH95XzdV08Pa1lyl9TBnRhU4U2_et6wwZj-G1AOEfweV4-XEYyOUHw/netshowcase.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

Good idea and don't forget the winter/snow camo! :)

Btw will the player see how the net will be placed (eg warfare style) or will he just have the open side in front of himself?

great idea, would it be possible to make the sniper nets to be carried in a backpack for example?

BACKPACKS! What a great idea! I don't know if you can pack a non-weapon item into a backpack. Ah as I'm typing I had a thought - if backpacks only allow weapon items, I could make a "spotter scope" weapon that requires the backpack and do it that way. I'll see what I can do... that's a great idea :)

@Norailgunner - If I understand your question, the answer is that the deployment script will place the net in the same direction the player is facing. They are all available in the editor so you could pre-place them in a mission.

@William - these have no collision object, and as such should work fine with any artillery weapon :)

And since they do NOT have a collision object, they are of course able to be driven through. I am addressing this by making the script automatically remove the net if the vehicle drives away from it. Not a perfect solution, but it will do the trick.

By the way, I can do ANY camo color desired now that I figured out GIMP. So if anyone has any suggestions for camo colors let me know ;)

Edited by hcpookie

By the way, I can do ANY camo color desired now that I figured out GIMP. So if anyone has any suggestions for camo colors let me know ;)

Oh on that, i will send you some Nogovan Oak camo :)

would it be possible to add a little more net to the front of the snipers net?

looking great though :D

v1.0 Released! See first post for download details.

Yes I got the backpacks working.

@Slatts - front drape added! ;)

@R0adki11 - send it my way! :)

Looks great, I really like the sniper camo nets. I'll get them in a mission and test these out with my group.

Great work!

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

On a side note, anyone have an idea how these will work with the AI in 1.6? We have a recon team, and if this gives them an advantage in the field against being spotted by AI, it'd be great!

I haven't tested with AI yet... I will probably need to edit the 3D models further.

I haven't tested with AI yet... I will probably need to edit the 3D models further.

Went and tested this for you, as we are interested in using this to avoid detection.

AI will not fire or notice you if on a careless waypoint system. However any other combat stance and they notice you from ranges of 20-30 feet away and in turn kill you.

Hope this helps you, and hope that we can eventually use these to avoid detection.

Best of luck.

//Edit

Edited by Wise
Video Evidence