Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

Wind! Do you want it to blow?

Would you like to have wind simulated in Arma 3?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have wind simulated in Arma 3?

• Yes, wind would be a good addition!
    • No, I don´t want this!

To be completely honest I don't think wind would add to the immersion factor unless it was graphically evident in the movement of flags and vegetation, and not just something that affected ballistics but was only detectable using some kind of equipment (to minimize any effects on performance). I'm not sure which of those the OP is asking about, but it's clear which one would affect performance less. However, like I said, I think the high performance version wouldn't add much, and although it would of course be awesome I don't know how costly it would be to simulate leaves and grass and such flowing in the wind.

Well that's how it is in ACE. I can see the grass moving. I can see how strong the wind is, by looking at the grass if there is any. So if I have eyes on my target and some grass in front of me (does more apply to marksman with RCO's ACOGS or non sniper-rifles), I can judge the direction and speed of wind I have to take into account by looking at the grass.

That's in ACE allready. And if they're able to do it with Arma2, it shouldn't be hard in Arma3. And it's allready in TKOH. :) (Choppers beeing affected by wind. Dunno about bullets yet, because my only engagements were with an M4 on relatiivly close distance)

I remember one of ACE devs said visual wind is not sync'ed with real wind in the mod

I don't see a real reason why the extra processing needed to simulate wind for AI is implemented - then a corresponding AI logic routine implemented to counter it. Seems like a wasted effort to me, might as well not implement it at all for AI and make the ingame assumption that such adjustments are being done.

I would suggest a skill-based distance penalty instead, so AI are unaffected at close range but lower skilled AI are affected at distance, with a wind speed multiplier. A simple solution, with results identical to simulating AI windage IMO.

Sounds good enough. I hope BIS is reading.

something that would making mobile mortars truly challenging to use, I'm all for it.

Heheh. Artillery + wind = fun. :p

Oh yes indeed. Didn't even think of this possibility

wind can be heard in BIS games since 2001 ...

I can't hear it... :\

I like Skyrim's wind noise. :) And effects. :rolleyes:

I can't hear it... :\

I like Skyrim's wind noise. :) And effects. :rolleyes:

Bethesda's particle work is sublime. Always is.

Except the sound in Beth games sucks hard. In BIS games you have all kinds of sounds when you touch environment, in Beth games you can walk through trees and don't hear a single sound but foot steps like you walk through air and not tree branches

Also wind can be heard in ArmA2, there is a lot of ambient detail in sound once you start listening (although I understand it's hard when all your attention is being paid to not getting shot). I just wish ArmA had separate slider for environmental sounds because they are much more silent compared to gunfire, steps etc. which are all under "effects volume"

Edited by metalcraze

Yeah that's my problem... when the gunfire stops I can hear it. :p

Except the sound in Beth games sucks hard. In BIS games you have all kinds of sounds when you touch environment, in Beth games you can walk through trees and don't hear a single sound but foot steps like you walk through air and not tree branches

In general I find Bethesda environmental sounds to be at least as good, more likely better, than BIS games. And I've never noticed tree rustling since OFP.

Sounds like OFP had a ton of awesome features which are missing from AII. Tree rustling, vehicle deformation, somewhat more challenging campaigns, knife animations (unused, but ready to be modded in)...

In general, sound effects in ArmA need an improvement. I found a lot of sounds rather unrealistic, especially when it comes to gunfire, but not only (they've nailed the Javelin though, it sounds exactly like the one on "Future Weapons").

knife animations (unused, but ready to be modded in)...

I wanted to type a reply a reply how it wasnt really a knife animation but then i suddenly realized noone ever made a joke about a weapon called 'strokefist'.