Sign in to follow this  
Bothersome

What is your approach to Larkin Aviation?

It doesn't seem to me that this area should even have a heliport close by.

We got neighbors houses to the south, a hill and highway to the west, a tree hazard to the north, and boats and fuel pumps to the east.

So, what approach do you usually make?

I tend to come in from the east over the boat dock and touch down after passing the pump. Hoping my tail rotor does get into anyone getting fuel for their boat/mower/car/heli/weedeater/whatever while also not letting it get tangled up in barbed fence wire.

Coming in from the south yields a longer runway and a choice of landing zones. But the neighbors bitch about me blowing off roofing tiles.

Comeing in from the west and you can't easily see the landing circles for the structures and you don't get any ground cushion (from the ground) to assist in a smooth landing transition.

Someone needs to cut down the tree on the north side and it would probably be OK. Even though the fence would still be uncomfortable.

Yeah, I got too much time. :D

Ok,

I honestly havent played much of the game besides being a helicopter nut, because I found the dialogue to be not really fitting to real life - as in the romantic comments from the engineer in one of the missions talking about how the heli 's engine's sound like a "symphony" which, when considered the engines are turbines, and turbines are screaming monsters that eat all your fuel so I was a little disenchanted at the over romanticizing of the situation..

I have trained as a fullsize pilot, (30 hours in a hughes 300, with full CPL theory - and a million hours on x-plane yada yada) and just cannot see seomeon getting romantic in that fashion about a machine which has to be overhauled by a manufacturer's engineering team.

A flight engineer working at a comercial business would have very little input into the down and dirty aspects of helicopter maintenance - let alone being aloowed to what - dismantle and re assemble the 200k plus turbine as his very own baby?

My 2c.

I fly in mostly from the dock by the windsock.

I was a UH-60 crew chief in the Army. The turbines do sound like a symphony, metaphorically speaking. When you’ve been around them long enough and have to trust them to keep you alive, you listen to them. Winds, brass, and strings are all there.

I was a UH-60 crew chief in the Army. The turbines do sound like a symphony, metaphorically speaking. When you’ve been around them long enough and have to trust them to keep you alive, you listen to them. Winds, brass, and strings are all there.

:cool: ♫♥

And not only you hear them, you can feel the wave go through your body:)

Cool post ! :)

To answer the OP , I thought you meant what is your approach to the company, like running it well.

No, my approach is ... with auto -hover .

Edited by W1ndy

I always approach by docks and then set her down.

P.S your speedboat at the docks works only it got no sounds =)

My normal approach is between the jetty’s except when windy, in which case it’s into the wind.

For me it depends on the wind. But most of the times I come in from the bay, right from the east. On my approach from the north I managed to hit the large tree, so this approach is not so appealing for me anymore.

-Ziggy-;2055444']I approach fast from any direction and lower collective to drop altitude. When I get real close' date=' I spin 180 to drop my airspeed, then land like a Boss. :cool:[/quote']

I look forward to the video in the video thread!

By the way, I want the devs to allow me to use the following solution for that tree...

player addMagazine "petrol";
player addWeapon "Chainsaw";
[player] playMove "CutDownThatBloodyTree";

Edited by Jedra

this sim is just screaming for a 'fly-by' camera view...

I land at Larkin the same way..in over the water and pivot 180 deg. to touch down facing the shore

-Ziggy-;2055690']Jedra' date=' I have spammed the user video thread enough, so I will just place it here instead. :p

[/quote']

Now, that was impressive! Nice!

Amen to that! Back in my days as a Private (Army) I hugged my humongous 5-ton TPU (Tank and Pump Unit) while the engine was warming up. Literally. I could feel its tune and tell you if it was "happy" or not.

No risk of crashing there. Still, I'd been an unhappy camper had my ride quit on me in the middle of "Indian country". Let me tell you, 3782 liters of ponderously moving, highly flammable fuel make you the #1 target for pyromaniacs from Morocco through Pakistan.

Edited by firemane

<3 I've wanted to become a helicopter pilot my entire life, although I've only had a chance to be in a helicopter twice - the first time I flew as a passanger in the left seat of a EC120, the second time was this summer where I flew in the right-hand seat in an Schweizer 300, on a trial lesson. It was awesome, but my point is that wether it's a turbine or piston powered engine, it's pure love for any real pilot, and/or aviation fan.