Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Nvidia GeForce Beta Drivers 285.79

I had some weird performance problems on my notebook with Geforce in Take On for long time. Unfortunately, I could not update the drivers so far easily (unsupported product, usual notebook problem with custom device drivers handling by manufacturers).

Finally, the new http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.79-beta-driver.html installed on my laptop and Take On runs really well on it now.

For reference, it is Asus G53S notebook, with Geforce GTX460M, Windows 7 x64, I am playing the game on default settings and it runs at stable 30 fps now.

I certainly recommend trying this new beta in case you have performance problems on Nvidia cards in Take On Helicopters (note that there are two releases, one for notebooks and one for desktops).

It's worth a try, I'll carry out a test.

I had some weird performance problems on my notebook with Geforce in Take On for long time. Unfortunately, I could not update the drivers so far easily (unsupported product, usual notebook problem with custom device drivers handling by manufacturers).

Finally, the new http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.79-beta-driver.html installed on my laptop and Take On runs really well on it now.

For reference, it is Asus G53S notebook, with Geforce GTX460M, Windows 7 x64, I am playing the game on default settings and it runs at stable 30 fps now.

I certainly recommend trying this new beta in case you have performance problems on Nvidia cards in Take On Helicopters (note that there are two releases, one for notebooks and one for desktops).

Maruk,

Could you describe the performance problems you were having? Were they CTDs?

Cheers,

OMAC

Crashes have no relation to FPS.

Crashes MOST DEFINITELY are related to performance. Low FPS means system stress, which definitely makes CTDs more likely. If a GPU goes down suddenly to <2-3 FPS, the Windows/NVIDIA TDR error appears -> CTD. Large numbers of vegetation objects slow FPS and require more AToC filtering, both making CTDs MUCH more likely, as at the beginning of the Dances with Trees time trial. The CTD problem is the worst problem in all of A2 and ToH, at least for NVIDIA cards. And I wasn't just asking about CTDs.

Edited by OMAC

-Ziggy-;2055466']Using this Beta driver (desktop - SLI gtx275) I was able to play for an hour without the usual SHIFT MINUS FLUSH. It's not definitive' date=' but a good sign, regardless.[/quote']

Excellent. You have AToC=0, right? I usually stay away from beta drivers, especially "hotfix" ones, but in this case..?

I'm using AToC=0, yes, but good point. Previously I couldn't play for 5 mins with AToC=7 @ my current Video settings without a CTD (remedied with SHIFT MINUS FLUSH)

I must try AToC=7 now and see if any difference.

Maruk,

Could you describe the performance problems you were having? Were they CTDs?

Cheers,

OMAC

My problems were frequent periodic drop in performance, ie every 10-20 secs several frames took insanely long to render. Choppy. This is gone with this driver update and I am enjoying the game on this laptop with stable 30, 12 km view distance and all other settings to default.

-Ziggy-;2055472'] I couldn't play for 5 mins with AToC=7 @ my current Video settings without a CTD (remedied with SHIFT MINUS FLUSH)

I can sometimes go longer without a CTD with atoc=7, but I always get a flushable CTD eventually. At start of Dances with Trees, I can get a CTD almost immediately, and they keep happening after a flush. I'm "more or less" solid as a rock with AToC=0 with current whql driver.

Especially in MP, flushes eventually result in corrupted textures (in A2 CO also) - most textures are replaced with black - as when I was playing with you on your server.

My problems were frequent periodic drop in performance, ie every 10-20 secs several frames took insanely long to render. Choppy. This is gone with this driver update and I am enjoying the game on this laptop with stable 30, 12 km view distance and all other settings to default.

Wow! That's GREAT, especially with 12km view distance!! Thank you for the info.

It is also great to know that you can find time to have fun playing ToH while running the company and developing! :)

Using AToC=7, I was finally able to cause a CTD (recoverable with SHIFT MINUS FLUSH) after about 20 minutes of low flying near trees.

Definitely an improvement, but I will go back to AToC=0 :p

I haven't tested with A2 yet, Celery.

-Ziggy-;2055550']Using AToC=7' date=' I was finally able to cause a CTD (recoverable with SHIFT MINUS FLUSH) after about 20 minutes of low flying near trees.

Definitely an improvement, but I will go back to AToC=0 :p

I haven't tested with A2 yet, Celery.[/quote']

What graphics card do you use? I suffer from the (recoverable with SHIFT MINUS FLUSH) as well and Im seeing a trend of people with the nvidia 200s cards. Ive always had this problem with A2.

I use a gtx285 by the way.

Im seeing a trend of people with the nvidia 200s cards. Ive always had this problem with A2.

I use a gtx285 by the way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the CTD issue is primarily affecting 200 series cards. The drivers for this series have not received the attention they deserve once the 400 series came out. Check this thread about any post-191.07 driver breaking certain parts of Crysis for ONLY 200 series cards:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=174495

I spent a very considerable amount of time making repros of that problem so that NVIDIA would fix it. Finally they reproduced the problem on their end, but never bothered to fix it.

For a few years I thought that Crysis and Crysis Warhead were the best tactical shooters ever made. But then another game came out. It was called ArmA 2.

Edited by OMAC