Sign in to follow this  
DeadlySwordz

How many people still play this?

Hey guys, I am new here and had a few questions. I see that all of the ARMA's are on sale this week on Steam. I am looking to buy ArmaII Combined Operations for $15.

1. Are there a lot of people playing online still? I downloaded the Free Demo of ArmaII and when i went into MP, no servers came up.

2. Is the online just co-op or is it actually online multiplayer against real people like all MP games? (i thought i heard there were only online co-op missions only)

3. How is the learning curve? I played the SP for a bit, but I was getting killed so quick by the AI.

4. Is it worth the purchase or should I just wait for ARMA3?

Thanks!

How much can u do wrong with 15$?

1. yes

2. no, everything you can imagine.

3. hard but fair. U will get killed a few more times...

4. Waiting a full year? U got 2 full price games for a few bucks, what you wanna more?

if no servers show up in your A2 version, you have a mistake somewhere. Just went ingame and saw tons of 'em.

Open/free multiplayer is not recommended ;)

Try to find a squad or some team mates you can play with

if no servers show up in your A2 version, you have a mistake somewhere. Just went ingame and saw tons of 'em.

Open/free multiplayer is not recommended ;)

Try to find a squad or some team mates you can play with

maybe I don't see any servers at all cause I tried playing on the demo version of ARMAII?

maybe I don't see any servers at all cause I tried playing on the demo version of ARMAII?

The demo version of ArmA 2 is very outdated so that may be a reasson.

It's only 15$ , buy it :) It a hell of a game :D

There's ArmA2 free too.

Yeah, but he will still miss out on things that Combined Ops offers+ the community mods.

Community content is important in this game, you can turn the game almost in whatever you like with it.

However you won't be able to appreciate any on public servers. They are usually a mess.

thanks for the replies everyone. i might end up picking the combined ops up for $15. And I will pass on the ARMA2Free. I tried the Battlefiled4Free a month ago and deleted it within a week, never again will I play a free war game again lol

back to ARMA2, there are soooooooo MANY buttons!!!

the only difference between ArmA2 and A2:Free, is free lacks campaign/mod support, and has low res textures. other than that, its the same game

thanks for the replies everyone. i might end up picking the combined ops up for $15. And I will pass on the ARMA2Free. I tried the Battlefiled4Free a month ago and deleted it within a week, never again will I play a free war game again lol

back to ARMA2, there are soooooooo MANY buttons!!!

If you want to play MP, find yourself an organized group HERE.

Don't worry, you will get the hang of it :)

I've seen some people but you always have to have thier MOD's or take some of your's you have installed off. It's pretty frustrating to say the least.

Have you thought of using a launcher, something like SU (Six Updater), you can make several 'Presets' so when you go online each preset can have its own set of mods, then once your presets are setup its just a click of the mouse button and your away. Also SU has a very good MP server selection built in, you can wander through choosing the best for you, plus it lets you know which mods are needed etc, and you can download them there and then and put them straight into a preset plus go straight to the server, well worth a look at..

Other than that and to answer your question, it’s the best military game/sim on the planet, if you can get used to using all the controls and don’t let it overwhelm you, it will reward you in every way that you want it to..

Get into the ‘Editor’, there’s a whole world of things to do in there..;)

I'm tempted to pick up the two DLCs now that they're on sale, are they worth it? Any servers using the gear they provide online?

Lots, myself and my band of friends have been playing since OFP and have been weekly for about 7 years! So yes there are lots of arma II players!

I'm tempted to pick up the two DLCs now that they're on sale, are they worth it? Any servers using the gear they provide online?

I picked them up a couple of months ago during a sale as well. The BAF campaign is a bit short, but very nice. The ION campaign is very good, but for one air support mission. I consider both campaigns to be of much higher quality than the original OA one.

On the multiplayer side of things, I have some good fun playing Gossamer's Warfare on public multiplayer servers and before that Domination. Occasionally the odd thing happens, but I'd say 19 out of 20 games run smoothly. Of course when fighting within a clan that uses teamspeak, team play gets actually much better promotion - on the public servers it defaults to the 'one man army' show.

remember everyone has the DLC content (in Lite quality form)

so any server already use the gear ...

also don't forget BAF has standalone missions next to relatively short campaign (some of the missions are very good)

Have you thought of using a launcher, something like SU (Six Updater), you can make several 'Presets' so when you go online each preset can have its own set of mods, then once your presets are setup its just a click of the mouse button and your away. Also SU has a very good MP server selection built in, you can wander through choosing the best for you, plus it lets you know which mods are needed etc, and you can download them there and then and put them straight into a preset plus go straight to the server, well worth a look at..

Other than that and to answer your question, it’s the best military game/sim on the planet, if you can get used to using all the controls and don’t let it overwhelm you, it will reward you in every way that you want it to..

Get into the ‘Editor’, there’s a whole world of things to do in there..;)

That SU thing seems confusing or am I just looking too much into it?

BAF is pretty good but PMC is incredible bad, just everything is bad...the units...the weapons and the campaign, would not buy it even if it was free. ;)

BAF is pretty good but PMC is incredible bad, just everything is bad...the units...the weapons and the campaign, would not buy it even if it was free. ;)

Map is good.