Sign in to follow this  
snaiperskaya

ArmA 3 Maps

I wonder if BIS would want to give IceBreakr the tools before the game even comes out. Perhaaaps... I'm overdoing this, but... how about a remake of the Malden US base island? i.e. size and appearance of the OFP Desert Island, but with the actual buildings and vegetation on there with Malden? Would have to love it, and it's pretty small too.

Yeah I like how the map seems to consist of some unique landscape and fairly large cities. There haven't been many big cities in Arma2, and the landscape has been mostly wilderness.. I miss the Arma1 map feel where there are large cities/towns in a desert type environment. Sahrani was a very large and fun city. Arma3 should have a system where at least for maps they can be downloaded directly from the server, because on Arma2 I find the custom islands to be much higher quality and much funner to do any sort of mission on compared to the stock maps which seemed much blander in comparison.

Someone earlier told me that the smallest city should be about the size of Chernogorsk was so I'm happy about this.

Edited by Leg

I'll restate kinda what I said in another thread. Whether they do another island or just do Limnos, I just hope that at least some areas of the island actually look like a warzone. The island is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it is in the middle of a war and it did get invaded. I think if they make some areas of the island look like a war zone (like maybe closer to the military installations on the island), then that'd be something that wasn't in ArmA2 or OA (while they were about wars, the landscape was generally untouched). The benefit of the current setting is that the war has already been going on for 14 years now, so there should be clear signs that a war is raging besides the fact that there are Iranian soldiers on the island.

EDIT: On that note, if they decided to include another island at launch or, better yet, in a DLC, it'd be nice if they included another island in the region, like Crete, or or, even better, if they had a part of mainland Greece, like Athens or Thessaloniki. So that we could see the war on mainland Europe. :)

Edited by antoineflemming

I'll restate kinda what I said in another thread. Whether they do another island or just do Limnos, I just hope that at least some areas of the island actually look like a warzone. The island is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it is in the middle of a war and it did get invaded. I think if they make some areas of the island look like a war zone (like maybe closer to the military installations on the island), then that'd be something that wasn't in ArmA2 or OA (while they were about wars, the landscape was generally untouched). The benefit of the current setting is that the war has already been going on for 14 years now, so there should be clear signs that a war is raging besides the fact that there are Iranian soldiers on the island.

EDIT: On that note, if they decided to include another island at launch or, better yet, in a DLC, it'd be nice if they included another island in the region, like Crete, or or, even better, if they had a part of mainland Greece, like Athens or Thessaloniki. So that we could see the war on mainland Europe. :)

Please give it a break already, every couple of threads on those forums you are posting about the same thing. trying to explain to you:

1. while civilian casualties and collateral damage is still present, it is a lot less than say ww2, or even vietnam. The weapons and their platforms are a lot more precise, no matter if we are talking about nato equipment, russian or whoever else. Dumb bomb (fre fall bombs) runs as you posted in some other thread are really a thing of the past, and even if available today, those are hardly ever used.

2. The primary targets in every damn conflict are military compounds, and infrastructure (although for instance parts of the roads, bridges and so forth might not get blown to pieces in the case of one plans a full scale invasion). What you want is a equal of the Triumph Arch being blown up from MW3, although it serves no purpose form a military POV. It lasted through WW2, i am sure it would last through a bigger conflict like the one depicted in A3.

3. An island such as Limnos (size, geotype) would, in most of the cases, not present itself a real threat for a bigger military force, that should have no problem taking control of it with minimum casualties for both sides...

4. You start all your affirmations based on some logical deductions that, from my pov, are flawed:

a) even if a war has been going for 14 years, it doesn't mean it reached europe. It could be on the verge of doing it, hence the plot in A3. US are in Afghanistan for 10 years. I don't see US or Europe cities or other countries for that matter being bombarded because of it...so while you don't really know the the extent of the plot, you make all sort of unfounded assumptions...

b) an occupied Limnos with a minimum resistance force active would not change drastically the landscape or be able actually stand a up right and fight (that would cause the damage you are so found of), but would mostly focus on militia warfare...

about the DLCs for an unreleased game, over 8 months away(FPDR):

A. Crete is almost 10 times the size of Limnos, which is the biggest island to be developed by BIS...understand where i am going with this? Same goes for the Peloponnese (which Thessaloniki is not part of btw)

B. If you somehow though that the lads with their MW3 created those whole cities for you to play in them, you are so wrong. Besides games like GTA and alike, i haven't seen ONE game to feature a city the size of say...Athens...so get over it, not gonna happen no matter how hard you want it or the amount of times you will be posting on those forums...

~waste of a post~

Did I mention MW3 here? NO. And the U.S. are in Afghanistan because the Taliban are in Afghanistan. And I only posted one other time about destruction on Limnos, not on EVERY OTHER THREAD. It's okay when others post about wanting large cities like in ArmA 1 maps, but all of a sudden when I want some cities and a little destruction there's a problem? If you don't like what I post, then simply IGNORE them. Last time I checked, I have the RIGHT to post here. It's okay for Engioc to post about GTA3 but if I suggest destroyed buildings, which happen to be in a number of games, not just MW3, then I'm wrong? When people post up requests about zombies in ArmA3 or a zombie DLC, I never saw you screaming at them, saying they wanted ArmA: Black Ops or some crap like that. So why are you so pissed when I suggest something? You never jumped all over PurePassion for mentioning DICE and BF3 in the Improving the Light Engine| What and How thread. So why are you so pissed with me? Here's a suggestion: Grow up.

Oh, and in a 14 year war in which one side is on the offensive, YES, they will eventually reach the home of their opponent if they are beating them back. Iran is not fighting NATO in Iran. If they invaded Limnos, a part of Europe, where do you think the other forces are? What, are they just sitting on their butts in Iran? If they got as far as Limnos, and are BEATING NATO, why don't you think they'd push into Europe? What, because that would seem too much like MW3? I mean, really.

P.S. To let you know, I'm actually right about the Europe invasion. Here's how I know:

STRAIGHT FROM THE ARMA3 WEBSITE

LIMNOS

Introduction

Your area of operation is the island of Limnos, once an important Greek air force base in the Mediterranean, now a remote hostile territory deep behind enemy lines. Still partially inhabited by a fraction of the original Greek populace and refugees from the Eastern Mediterranean, the island bears many scars from the fierce battles between NATO and the invading Iranian troops in 2025. The large airfield and the adjacent military base now serves as a basis for a fairly large Iranian force servicing the objective Omega.

OVERVIEW

Storyline

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched.

If Limnos is DEEP BEHIND ENEMY LINES, then the front is farther NORTH of that. THAT is EUROPE.

A FRACTION of the original Greek populace remains. What do you think happened to the other inhabitants?

Refugees from the EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN suggest that Iran at least INVADED the eastern mediterranean.

The island bears MANY SCARS from the fierce battles between NATO and Iran. The island didn't simply surrender. There wasn't minimal resistance to the invading Iranian army. So, yes, I'm certainly right in my claims, wishes, and assumptions about the state of the island. So, YES, Limnos should look like a warzone. The ONLY reason Miller and his team are the only NATO forces on the island by 2035 is because the other NATO forces were pushed OUT of Limnos, and pushed NORTH. YES, Europe has FALLEN. As in the overview storyline, Europe is the LAST STAND. NATO is on the verge of being DRIVEN INTO THE SEA. So, YES, Europe is about to fall. Yes, the island does need to be battered. No, everything does not need to be intact like we saw at E3 and Gamescom.

ALL of my assumptions in this thread and the last are correct.

FPDR to your entire waste of a post

Edited by antoineflemming

the island bears many scars from the fierce battles between NATO and the invading Iranian troops in 2025.

antoineflemming it is impossible to deny that you are indeed 100% correct.

The recent fighting in the Libyan city of Sirte has left many parts of the city completely destroyed, I can only imagine the sheer level of destruction that would be left from a struggle between Nato and Iran.

Very entertaining, go on guys ^^

I think BIS has already announced that buildings will degrade through the campaign.

About the stuff you are arguing about:

Yes Limnos was a warzone but I think that most civilians weren't killed but simply fleed the island. I don't think that there should be large destruction in the citys (there should be some, but nothing to heavy) since the most fighting and bombarding would have been around the airport and other military instalations.

I don't think that there should be large destruction in the citys (there should be some, but nothing to heavy) since the most fighting and bombarding would have been around the airport and other military instalations.

The Gamsescom presentation video shows part of a town that has been basically flattened, all that's left of many houses is the foundations, there are many shell craters scattered around and nearby houses have destroyed roofs.

The Gamsescom presentation video shows part of a town that has been basically flattened, all that's left of many houses is the foundations, there are many shell craters scattered around and nearby houses have destroyed roofs.

Sounds good to me.

Some people can't understand that most destruction effects are done by mission design. BIS are creating a big sandbox that is open to many ideas and storytelling and don't restrict the mission creator to build their mission only on destroyed/contaminated areas. :rolleyes:

Some people can't understand that most destruction effects are done by mission design. BIS are creating a big sandbox that is open to many ideas and storytelling and don't restrict the mission creator to build their mission only on destroyed/contaminated areas. :rolleyes:

That was pointed out a few pages back, but duly ignored.

Ok. Yeah. I'm hoping that it's by mission design (the destruction). I just want to have that war feeling. Although, I'd like to see more background on the war itself.

@NoRailGunner I actually do want it to be the users choice in the mission editor, maybe even starting with no destruction and being able to set the level of destruction for the map (so you don't necessarily have to set it for every individual building). But I think there should be already destroyed buildings in the campaign, and am glad that there are. Man, I really want BIS to release another video for ArmA3...

EDIT: @CameronMcDonald I see you borrowed the pic from my sig. It is awesome, isn't it? You're welcome, LOL.

If you don't like what I post, then simply IGNORE them. Last time I checked, I have the RIGHT to post here.

Funniest thing I've seen you post in a while, antoine. You're so full of shit your eyes are turning brown.

:232:

Funniest thing I've seen you post in a while, antoine. You're so full of shit your eyes are turning brown.

:232:

1) You're really late...

2) Yes, I can post here whether YOU like what I post or not. As I said, if you or anyone else doesn't like it, then you can simply ignore. I'm sorry you think that's being full of shit. The way I see it, forum members have the right to post here as long as they abide by the forum rules. I haven't violated any rules with my posts so I have the right to post. One of those rules is not that my post has to be approved by you. That was my point.

I really hope the maps look better in Arma III. For some reason Arma II's maps (vanilla and custom) didn't appear to look that great unless they were forest. Oh well, they still look pretty decent for an older game though.

I hope cover is a lot more available through means of micro terrain and more objects like rubble, craters, sandbags, boulders, walls, and random stuff that lies around like dirt piles, garbage bins, junk piles, etc.. In A2 most of the time you are fighting prone on your belly in the middle of a huge field and you can't even use micro terrain to hide. kinda limits the intensity firefights can reach

Just some thoughts. from what I've seen it looks like my wishes will be granted.

I'd settle for when I crawl up to cover and am unable to crawl over it my character doesn't decide to stand up.

I really hope the maps look better in Arma III. For some reason Arma II's maps (vanilla and custom) didn't appear to look that great unless they were forest. Oh well, they still look pretty decent for an older game though.

A number of community members here have crafted up some impressive terrains over the years.

Deserts tend to look worse in games naturally because there's no ground clutter to cover the lack of small 3d objects like stones and whatnot that are present there IRL, but no PC can handle such detail on a scale of a small country yet.

Also depends on a designer as well. McNools map looks good and detailed (disregarding silly colour filters) but it's less of a desert now and also much smaller than Takistan.

From what Lemnos looks like, it seems that maps have progressed quite a bit with the addition of so many villages and enterable buildings (yes!). Project Reality comes to mind when I think of so many buildings. Every map I played looked good on PR but I think that has a lot to do with such. Map makers should certainly have a lot to work with now with new tools and objects. I am not saying that any user created maps looked bad, they just kinda seemed outdated. Which is mainly due to outdated tools and objects.