Sign in to follow this  
doogerie

is TOH any good ???

I mean is it worth it for me ? I fly Lock on and Cliffs of Dover and FSX so i was wondering should i add this to my collection too? if yes why? if no why?

I think you need to be a bit more specific about your personal preferences. Do you like flying helicopters, or do you normally fly fixed wing only? What are you looking for? I mean: type of missions, level of immersion, levels of realism (FM or also avionics etc). Stuff like that.

If you're a hardcore flight sim guy, I'd say no. If you're just in it for the scenery and game play you're probably safe.

I would say Yes as its different. I have been a MS FS bod for years and its got many advantages over that. I also play Black Shark and its not as involved as that game is. Its is beautiful in its graphics if you have a card that an handle the higher settings but its not without criticisms. I was not expecting an ARMA clone and its most defiantly is not that however it is fun and that, for me, will keep me entertained. I just hope the people with the skills to mod pick up on it as that is where it will become great. Whilst I enjoy the stock aircraft, i would like to fly some additional types and unfortunately i do not have the skills to create them myself.

i'd say yep. looks far better than any other flught game out there. very moddable too so expect so awesome heli's, missions, maps and more free from users if this game takes off.

However, there are issues with the flight model that real helicopter pilots have pointed out, so i hope BIS does remedy them cause then this game would be one of the best by a logn shot.

if you've never flown helicopters and are willing to try it i'd say yes. the flight model isn't realistic yet but hopefully after a couple of patches it'll get there. also note that helicopter is infinitely more challenging to fly than a fixed wing aircraft so be prepared to be frustrated and relearn what you know about flying.

If you're a hardcore flight sim guy, I'd say no. If you're just in it for the scenery and game play you're probably safe.

I'm a hardcore flight sim guy and I say hell yes! The story, the contracts, the choppers... this really is a special game, fwiw I highly recommend it.

If MD500 above me reckons the flight physics aren't right, I'd believe him, but for groundlubbers like the rest of us, the Experienced model is hellishly tricky.

I fly DCS Black Shark and BS2, A10, FSX, and Rise of Flight...

Take on Helicopters is a great sim at the very early stages of development.

It has a unique career mode, free flight, and challenges- to go with a good training segment.

Could it be better? yes - Will it get better? yes - Is it worth buying now? yes

Once you get it dialed in, you will have fun Taking on Helicopters

2011-10-22_00005.jpg

Edited by heywooood

If you like to push buttons, no.

If you like to just go from point A to point B, no.

If you like to rehearse procedures, flight paths, navigation and radio protocols, no.

If you want to blast things, maybe not (it's doable, but not yet the focus).

If you like to fly and do fun stuff while flying, then I'd say yes.

Take On isn't your DCS or FSX cockpit type simulator. It's a business/sandbox game based on a nice (yet not perfect) helicopter flight model.

It's good at doing things differently than the others. It's nice for what it is. Maybe not for what some people think it should do.

And it's a little bit pricey if you only intend to play the career mode (an introduction to the game). On the other hand, if you're into custom made missions, it's endless...

@EricM - out of all the descriptions of TKOH I have seen yours just about sums it up the best. I think one of the problems with describing it is that there is nothing else out there like it - which is what BI were aiming at.

I have had so much enjoyment out of this game - coming from Arma (not to say I have left!) I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I have had an absolute blast. It's difficulty settings allow you to go from a 'point and fly' situation to a real challenge with enough tailored options to take this at a reasonable learning curve.

Also, the mods and missions from the community are already starting to appear (including a very good 'blast things' mission). I am also exploring the potential of extending the campaign with missions that build on your heliport and helicopter collection gained in the campaign (currently discussing in the editing thread).

From the point of view of it just being a game you can play now, then yes, the campaign content seems to not represent good value for money. However for shear longevity and community content it will, like Arma, be one of the cheapest games you'll ever buy!

two of the main reasons why I wanted to get and got this

1: it looked and looks challenging

2:its making me have fun in flying again