Sign in to follow this  
taviyo

Saitek X52 Controller Issues

After manually mapping all my controls to the game, I find that keeping my helicopter straight and level an impossible feat, forget about attempting a simplistic landing. The controls are all over the place and I find myself constantly making huge corrections to compensate, even on trainee difficulty. I do not experience this issue in FSX.

I am using the Steam version in Windows 7 x64.

Anyone have any help?

Have you checked if auto-trim is on? With it off I experience the same issues with a Logitech G940.

Also, it's worth checking that your mouse isn't configured for pitch up/down and left/right controls. I was playing with FF originally causing the mouse to shake!

as far as I know, auto-trim is automatically enabled in trainee mode so then yes, it is enabled. I noticed a marginal increase in playability when i went from expert controls to trainee but still the controls behave wildly.

I removed the mouse mappings from the controls and no help.

Try to set all your G940 Axis Sensitivity = 0%, Deadzone = 0% and Range = 100% form Logitech Profiler.

Keep the Logitech Profiler open and lunch TOH.

Go to Controller --> G940 Joystick --> Customize, click "Show" and move around your stick to all 4 corner and check if the reading go smooth.

Do the same on G940 Throttle and Rudder. Close and re-open TOH and go fly.

Let me know if this work for you.:)

Have you checked if auto-trim is on? With it off I experience the same issues with a Logitech G940.

Also, it's worth checking that your mouse isn't configured for pitch up/down and left/right controls. I was playing with FF originally causing the mouse to shake!

did you logitech users have to manually map all your joystick controls?? Although the game recognized my controller, I had to manually map everything for some reason which makes me think it is a game/driver interface issue.

For my G940, yes.

Hope future patch can fix it.

did you logitech users have to manually map all your joystick controls?? Although the game recognized my controller, I had to manually map everything for some reason which makes me think it is a game/driver interface issue.

I got similar issues but I didn't map any buttons yet, using the default setup with Saitek X-52 Pro.

The helo heavily rolls left and right in expert mode, no issues in training mode though.

I don't know if this is working as intended or way out of balance.

I recorded the two modes for a few seconds to show you how much the helo rolls around, maybe you can tell me if that is still within normal parameters?

(no issues here, helo stays stright)

("the air waltz" :P )

If yes, I need to look into trimming. If no, I wonder what's wrong. Should the helo really roll that fast in a normal situation while stick is idle?

Edited by Landorin

I too have issues with Saitek x52 and TOH, helicopter is pretty much unflyable or should I say unlandable. I can fly, take off etc... but if the simplest of landings is very diffecult given the extreme sensitivity of the Joystick etc...

If yes, I need to look into trimming. If no, I wonder what's wrong. Should the helo really roll that fast in a normal situation while stick is idle?

Yes, you need to look into trimming. You can map trim controls to hatswitches, buttons or sliders on your controller pretty easily. You'll want to make sure to map trim axes for roll, yaw and attitude. Two four-way hats do me fine for this.

Most of the helis in TOH (from the Free Flight menu) seem to want 6-7 clicks of left cyclic, 15-20 clicks of forward cyclic, and 2-3 clicks of left rudder trim to establish a stable cruise at about 70-80% collective, on my setup. Once dialed in, you go can go hands-off on the controls for short periods.

The tricky bit is wresting control of the helicopter initially if you're on an aerial start :)